The Echanting Duchess

By MissElleDee

I was just a simple lady living on a peaceful countryside. Then one day, I was knocked out and before I get t... More

PROLOGUE
Chapter 1: Husband and Wife
Chapter 2: Settling Down
Chapter 3: Evening Charm
Chapter 4: Pink Everywhere
Chapter 5: Inside the Dark Room
Chapter 6: The Rusty Locket
Chapter 7: An Oath of Blood
Chapter 8: Blue Blossom Boutique
Chapter 9: The Power Behind
Chapter 10: The Duchess' Outings
Chapter 11: An Encounter
Chapter 12: The Friend
Chapter 13: Del and Atallie
Chapter 14: Something Happened
Chapter 15: Innocence
Chapter 16: The Sleeping Duchess
Chapter 17: The Duchess Awakens
Chapter 18: A Stroll in the Garden
Chapter 19: The Duchess' Authority
Chapter 20: A Visit
Chapter 21: A Stubborn Woman and a Foolish Man
Chapter 23: Missing
Chapter 24: Grand Ball
Chapter 25: The Duke in Distress
Chapter 26: A Sleepless Night
Chapter 27: Matters of the Heart
Chapter 28: Confrontation
Chapter 29: The Duke Awakens
Chapter 30: The Mark
Chapter 31: Truce?
Chapter 32: Conflicts
Chapter 33: The Great Peregrine
Chapter 34: Turmoil and Peace
Chapter 35: Yet Another Strife?
Chapter 36: Del is Back
Chapter 37: Daylight Passion
Chapter 38: Separation
Chapter 39: Lizbeth
Chapter 40: A Compromise
Chapter 41: Official Authority
Chapter 42: Tea Party and Bugs
Chapter 43: Night Accommodation
Chapter 44: Sudden Trip Away From Home
Chapter 45: The Gift of the Mistress
Chapter 46: The Blue Ray Wizard Tower
Chapter 47: The Way Down the New Path
Chapter 48: The Brown Envelope
Chapter 49: The Duchess Is Up to Something
Chapter 50: Journey To The Capital
Chapter 51: Arrival at the Royal City
Chapter 52: The Duchess and the Princess
Chapter 53: The Visit
Chapter 54: The Meeting
Chapter 55: Warm Talk
Chapter 56: Arrival of the Brother
Chapter 57: Ellard Settling Down
Author's Note

Chapter 22: Bickering

1.2K 51 5
By MissElleDee

The next day.

As what Sebas had said, Atallie woke up when the morning came.

With a still weak constitution and her sickly pallor that did not even improved after a good night rest, Atallie had to force herself to get up from her bed and drag her body to move.

When she looked around, Atallie found out that there was no one in the room.

Everyone was busy with the duke around, that was what Atallie thought.

Thus, with a throbbing head and low stamina, she dragged herself towards the bathroom to attend on her needs.

However, just as she was about to reach the bathroom door, her sight became blurry that she even stumbled and fell back. But good thing Atallie managed to stabilized herself so her entire frame did not fully meet the ground.

Why am I so weak right now?!
Atallie sneered at herself.

No one knew how utterly bad she was feeling right now. After all, it was not a good thing to feel not like your usual strong and healthy self at all.

She could only grit her teeth and slowly get up from the fall.

However, just as when she was about to stand, the door of her room abruptly flung open.

Atallie's eyes widened at the sight of the man who just came barging in with such a ruckus.

"Del! What are you -"

"Don't speak!" In just a swift motion, Del gently picked up Atallie.

Flabbergasted, Atallie could not speak a word. But what came after, made her truly stupefied.

"Let her go!" Hurried footsteps with the sound of a man's low, deep and stern voice came after.

Don't tell me...

Upon lifting her eyes towards the direction of the voice, Atallie's usual cold and indifferent eyes shook for a moment.

It was the duke. It was truly the duke.

I'm doomed!

Thinking about her current situation wherein she was being carried by someone of the opposite gender that the duke did not even know, while still on her nightgown and vulnerable state, Atallie knew that it was truly inappropriate.

She was flustered for a moment. But thankfully, her rationality did not leave her.

"Del, please bring me to the couch," Atallie spoke. Her eyes meeting with Del's. They seemed to had a tacit understanding in just a glance.

Duke Calex clearly saw this scene. A glint flashed underneath his calm and dark eyes.

Reluctantly, Del let Atallie down on the couch to seat.

"Tallie, this must not go on," Del spoke. His gentle voice was soothing, yet Atallie knew that he was mad this time. She also knew what he was referring to.

"I know, just step aside for now. I have to speak with the duke," Atallie said with a sigh. She signalled Del to leave the room for a moment.

Del knew what he must do. Thus, upon seeing Atallie's signal, he exited the room without even glancing at Duke Calex who was silently and calmly standing inside.

Del even respectfully closed the door when he left.

"Duke - cough, ahem," Atallie's throat was dry and rough at the moment.

She needed some water but thinking about getting up to get herself a glass, which was troublesome due to her jelly legs, or asking the duke to help her get some, Atallie could not decide what to do.

So, she attempted to cough a few more and clear her throat before speaking again.

And just as she was about to speak again, she saw a glass of water in front of her. Looking up, she saw Duke Calex who took a seat right next to her.

"Drink up. You will not be able to utter any nonsense if you can't speak," Duke Calex said with a smirk. His unscrupulous and carefree attitude was in front now.

But that smirk just now seems to have some danger on it.
Atallie thought. But the thought was just tossed at the back of her mind.

Picking up the glass, she took slow and careful sips, making sure her throat won't be uncomfortable.

After a few gulps, Atallie was now ready to speak.

"Thank you," she said as she put down the glass back on the table.

"What's there to thank for? Aren't I just aiding my wife to clearly explain herself as to why she had brought a boy toy in my own house?" Duke Calex spoke. His tone did not conceal his mock and sarcasm.

Atallie's eyes narrowed infinitesimally. "If the duke has already thought of me like that, then it seems to me that there is no need for any explanation," she said.

"What? So now, you're not going to defend yourself? Ha! Are you actually admitting your atrocious behavior?" Duke Calex asked. His dark eyes seemed to be reflecting his fiery hair. And Atallie was aware that the duke was also mad at her at some point.

A point that she did not really understand.

Is he worried about me or it's something else?

But thinking about the duke's dignity and pride that he has to uphold, Atallie thought that it must be the case rather than a laughable reason like jealousy that could only exist between lovers or people who were in a mutual understanding or relationship.

"I understand that what just happened was inappropriate. However, you must have already been informed that Del was a good friend of mine and he merely do that to help me get up," said Atallie.

"Just to merely help you get up, huh?" Duke Calex knew that it was more than that.

Before Del came barging in, he was with the duke. And after a discussion, both were on their way to visit Atallie.
Duke Calex was aware that they were still just in the middle of the walk towards the duchess' room when the quiet and solemn Del suddenly jolted and immediately came running.

Duke Calex clearly knew how frantic Del looked at that moment. And before he could even react, he saw the direction where Del actually running to.

Duke Calex came running after him upon realization.

But what was really gnawing at him was how did Del knew that something happened to Atallie.

Duke Calex was not a simple person after all. He knew that what was between his duchess and the strange man was not just a mere good friendship. He also knew how Del looked at his duchess. He was, after all, a man as well.

Thinking about all of these, Duke Calex found it hard to suppress his questionable anger. He did not know where this anger was coming from in the first place and he did not know what it was actually for. And yet, all he knew at this moment was that he did not want his duchess to be alone with that strange man.

Just thinking about all the short exchanges between the two before made Duke Calex wanted to let out all his anger and yet, with an intense glare, looking at the currently frail Atallie, Duke Calex could only grit his teeth and clenched his fists in madness.

"Let's just say that I believe you." In the end, he could only concede.

"If that's the case, I'm glad that the duke is such an understanding person," Atallie said.

"It's good that you are now aware how understanding I am," Duke Calex said with a sneer.

Atallie almost rolled her eyes at the duke upon hearing his words.

"Is there anything more, duke?" she asked.

"Ah, now that you mentioned it, I am in fact here to inform you that your father is currently in the estate. Surprisingly enough, he even brought two ladies in tow," said Duke Calex.

Two ladies? Don't tell me they are -
Atallie's eyes held a subtle glint on them.

"It seems that you have an idea of who they are, my wife?" Duke Calex asked with an intensely inquiring gaze.

This situation was very familiar with Duke Calex. In fact, it was one of the things he abhorred.

It was known to everyone that Duke Calex was an unscrupulous, barbaric and ruthless person based on how many women he was currently housing in his massive estate. Because of this, despite of all his achievements in war and unparalleled swordsmanship and abilities in exterminating the monsters that kept on threatening the people's lives and the security of the kingdom, Duke Calex, in the eyes of everyone, was nothing but a puppet under the King's hands.

Everyone failed to see what he has done for the people and the kingdom. And yet, this was really not a hindrance for him. In fact, he had even utilize this matter at hand to aid him into his further plans.

But because Duke Calex was currently housing many ladies from different noble houses in the entire kingdom, Duke Calex had become too familiar with the scenario of a lady's father having people in tow. The reasons behind bringing those insignificant bugs around were mostly to use them as maids to the lady to spy at the duke and the duchy or as assistants to spy at the duke or the duchy. And for other whatever reasons there might be, all of them had one clear intention - to spy at the duke and the duchy.

Thus, this kind of situation became detestable in the eyes of Duke Calex. In the end, he was able to turn things around with the ladies in the estate and managed to drive away all the unnecessary bugs.

But now, looking at the sickly woman who became his duchess for special reasons, Duke Calex did not know how things might go.

Silence hung in the room for a few minutes until Duchess Atallie broke it.

"Kindly let my maidservants in to help me dress. You may also inform the count to wait for me in the drawing room not far from my room," said Atallie.

Duke Calex gave her a sidelong glance.

Is she ordering me now?

Atallie knew what that glance meant. Thus, she cleared her throat and added, "I'm still currently so weak so I will have to trouble the duke to be so kind to lend a hand."

With a frown, Duke Calex stood up. "I got it, alright? What do you need more, Your Grace?" He asked with a smirk.

"Ah, you may also meet me there. Let's meet the count together," Atallie said. Her cold and indifferent eyes met the duke's deep and dark gaze.

What is she planning to do?

Without speaking another word, Duke Calex left the room. The door was closed with a loud bang.

I don't really know what's going on in his mind. Ha! I don't even have the strength to care about it for now.

Atallie thought with a sigh.

Shortly, Leonor and the rest rushed in. They checked on her and helped her to dress up.

After an hour of tending to the duchess, Leonor carefully assist and accompany the duchess towards the drawing room where the count was. Surprisingly, they met the duke outside the door. Thus, both the duke and the duchess entered the room at the same time.

"You're finally here, and oh, greetings to Your Grace The Duke of Kargaz," Count Rodrigo stood in greetings but he did not bowed in respect.

"I apologize for making you wait, father," Atallie said when she sat down. Duke Calex was right next to her.

"It's alright haha! Just make them serve us the tea from yesterday. That one with a pleasant aroma and rich taste," Count Rodrigo said with a boisterous laugh.

Atallie sneered at him on the inside. She just could not wait to anymore to get rid of the count. The more she saw the count's plump and disgusting appearance and manners, the more Atallie felt sick.

Thus, without further waiting, she looked straight at Count Rodrigo. "Father," Atallie called out. "I'm sorry but we might not be able to serve you the tea."

"Huh? Why? Surely the extravagant estate of the duke was not so lacking to not have more of that tea?" the count asked with a contorted face.

"Indeed, that was not the case," said Atallie.

"Then why? Don't tell me you're being petty. You can't even spare some for your father? How could you?!" Count Rodrigo spoke with his loud and irritatingly cranky voice as she scolded Duchess Atallie. He did not even take into consideration of the very presence of the duke who was right in front of him.

If it was not foolishness, no one knew where the count was getting his boldness and courage to disregard the duke just like that.

"Noisy," Atallie said. Her eyes flashing with a colder glint than before.

In anger, the count stood as he pointed at Atallie. "What?! You really dare to -"

"Father, you must have been informed beforehand that I'm currently ill, and yet all you did for coming here was to scold me. What do you think you are doing?" Atallie asked. Her tone was gentle yet apathetic as usual. But as one would look closely. She seemed to be exuding sharp coldness from her voice.

"Isn't that why I came here in the first place? I came here to give you your maidservants! But all you do is to anger me!" Count Rodrigo said. He surely knew how to turn his words around.

Shameless!
Attalie sneered.

"I doubt that. Besides, I'm here to reject those people that you brought with you today," said Atallie.

Duke Calex, who was quietly observing and listening on the side, raised his intimidating red eyebrow upon hearing the words of Atallie.

"What do you mean?" Count Rodrigo was also taken aback.

"The duke has already given me enough manpower to handle my day-to-day affairs and am quite pleased with the current arrangements. Thus, I don't think I'd be needing more people. Besides, you know me, father, I grew up on a simple county and I don't wish to interact with so many unnecessary people." Atallie spoke in one breath. She really wants to end the conversation right away.

"Y-you! Do you know what you're talking about?!"

"I surely know what I'm talking about, father. So please, leave now and bring those people away with you. I'm quite tired now and I would like to go back and rest." Atallie closed her eyes and leaned to rest her head on the broad and sturdy shoulder of the quietly observing duke beside her.

Duke Calex was taken aback by the sudden action of the duchess. Yet before he could even react about it, he heard the soft and weak voice of Atallie.

"Please let the knights escort father out."

Duke was not certain whether this was part of Atallie's plan to drive the count away or she was truly feeling weak at the moment. But either way, with one command from him, two knight who were standing outside came immediately and drag the count away before the count could even resist.

After a moment of silence, Duke Calex could only hear the soft breathing of the stubborn woman leaning on him.

"If you need to rest. You should go back to your room now," he said after much deliberation whether he should escort him or carry her back.

There was no response from Atallie.

Duke Calex thought that maybe Atallie was truly out of strength this time and might be unconscious again. Thus, he decided to carry her back to her room.

But before his hands could reach the stubborn woman, Atallie moved away from him.

When he looked up, Duke Calex found Atallie's cold but beautiful amber eyes looking straight into his eyes. Her gaze has a different glint and was strong and full of intent.

Why is she looking at me with that gaze?

Duke Calex's eyes narrowed dangerously, wary of what Atallie was thinking about or planning to do.

Time stood still as the two remained gazing into each other's eyes. Both found the scene familiar. It was when the duchess spent her first night at the estate. They had a little exchange of words and sentiments on that night. And now, they were exactly doing the same.

The unknown subtle spark from that night once again lit up amidst the tension and the vague atmosphere between the two. And yet, much to disappoint, Atallie was the one to extinguish the spark instantly when she broke the silence.

"We need to talk," she said.

________

A/n: Hello! To my dear readers (though still few), first and foremost, I'd like to thank you all for spending time to read this story! You know that I truly appreciate every read and votes because it what's fuel me to continue writing. You all inspire me as I see you reading every chapters. So please, continue to support me by reading and voting, and I'd also love it if you can also share some of your thoughts in the comment section (^•^)/ so yeah, don't hesitate to give your opinion about the story!

For now, I'm going to sleep.

See you in the next chapter!

Xoxo

🖤 Elle Dee

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

95 0 15
HEARTS, beings with humanoid forms that have powerful magic power. The stronger these beings are, the stronger the kingdoms that own them become...
8.7K 291 59
A family, full of deceitful maniacs... A kingdom ruled by tyranny, yet the people aren't aware... A story full of lies and deceit, woven to manipulat...
226K 11.5K 103
"You're playing with fire Safania." "Good thing I don't burn." The last words he spoke before throwing me onto my bed sounded like a threat, but felt...
204 21 19
"Fayre, Fayre" someone was calling as I ran "Catch me mama" I called laughing "Stop running, you'll fall" ....... And the voice faded away while I k...