Sweet Little Birds (BxB Roman...

By lisa_london_

Robin doesn't want to be a tutor. Tyler doesn't want to be tutored. So why are their tutoring sessions always... More

Sweet Greetings!
Chapter 1: Sugar Rush
Chapter 2: Lemon Meringue Pie
Chapter 3: Candy Wrapper
Chapter 4: A Dozen Donuts
Chapter 5: Half a Dozen Donuts
Chapter 6: Soda Splatter
Chapter 7: Chocolate Bunny
Chapter 8: Bitter Cocoa
Chapter 9: Crushed Cocoa
Chapter 10: Strawberry Milkshake
Chapter 11: Marshmallow Kisses
Chapter 12: Tofu Noodle Soup
Chapter 13: Rainbow-Sprinkled Cupcakes
Chapter 14: Pancakes, Waffles, and French Toast
Chapter 15: Pool of Pudding
Chapter 16: Pop-Tarts
Chapter 17: Popsicle
Chapter 18: Peppermint Drops
Chapter 19: Snack Carrots
Chapter 20: Cookie-Dough Ice Cream
Chapter 21: Picnic Basket
Chapter 22: Strawberry Pie
Chapter 23: Sugar-Free Candy
Chapter 24: Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chapter 25: Hard Lemonade
Chapter 26: Fruit Punch
Chapter 27: Birthday Cake
Chapter 28: Bitter medicine
Chapter 29: Late-Night Snack
Chapter 30: Chocolate Fudge
Chapter 31: Caramel-Topped Latte
Chapter 32: Popcorn
Chapter 33: Granola Bar
Chapter 34: Pure Sugar
Chapter 35: Sugary Jitters
Chapter 36: Hospital Food
Chapter 37: Ring Pop
Chapter 38: Hot Chocolate
Chapter 39: Movie Snacks
Chapter 40: Candy Hearts
Chapter 41: Blueberry Muffins
Epilogue: Rainbow Lollipops
Sweet Goodbye (notes from the author)
Sweet Character Art
Bonus Chapter: Snack Spread
Bonus Chapter: Trick or Treat
Bonus Chapter: Valentine's Day Chocolate
Christmas Special!
Bonus Chapter: One-year Anniversary
Bonus Chapter: Two-year Anniversary
Introducing: Bitter Treats
Bonus Chapter: The Great Pumpkin Cake Race

Chapter 42: Jello Cups

1K 98 87
By lisa_london_

He'd been here before. Robin could remember this exact hallway, with fluorescent lighting that flickered and blue lines on the floor indicating where each wing of the hospital was located. Outside the window, there was a lush park with a giant climbing structure, complete with nets, slides, and swings. The shrill yells from the kids outside had called for him. He'd asked his mom if he could go out and join them once they were done at the hospital--because he didn't really feel that sick--only to get a blank stare in reply.

Robin shook his head, ridding himself of the onslaught of memories. This was not the time for such introspection. He pulled his jacket closer, freezing as the early December cold seeped in with every entering patient. The fabric felt rough against his bare skin.

"Here, I think you might need this." Miss Horn put a paper cup filled with hot tea in Robin's hand. "It has both milk and sugar," she added. "I figured you may take it the same way as Tyler. That's what he drinks during our sessions."

Robin nodded, but the giant lump of guilt in his throat prevented him from taking a single sip of the warming beverage.

Tyler was hurt and it was his fault.

"He'll be fine, you know," Miss Horn assured him with a supportive pat on the shoulder. "The doctors know what they're doing. And since you found out what your mother gave him it's much easier for them to treat."

Robin just nodded again. He'd heard what the doctors said as well. The heart medicine Robin had snatched from his mother's claws wasn't a threat to Tyler's longtime health. At worst, it would make him feel dizzy and tired for a few days. Although to be on the safe side, they were currently running some additional tests to make sure there hadn't been anything else mixed into those muffins as well.

Still, Robin couldn't shake the feeling of dread. It was consuming him from the inside and out, making his hands shake and his throat run dry.

"You did good, Robin," Miss Horn reiterated, her hand making circles on his back. "You made sure he got treatment as soon as possible. And you stood up to your mother."

Robin nodded, happy that the counselor was there. Because sitting there alone in the bare hospital hallway would have been so much worse. Miss Horn had even taken it upon herself to call Tyler's aunt and tell her what had happened. Aunt Donna was expected to arrive at any moment.

"It's my fault," he mumbled, putting the still-untouched cup of tea aside to lean his forehead in his hands. "She hurt Tyler because of me."

"That doesn't mean it's your fault, Robin. She hurt you too. Your mom's not well and that has nothing to do with you. You're not to blame."

He knew the words were true, but still, he couldn't quite let them soak into his mind.

"She might try again." He looked around the hallway, suddenly paranoid that his mother might be there, lurking. After all, cold hospital corridors were her element. This was where she thrived.

"Not if you stop her."

"You mean if I...?" He knew what she meant. She'd mentioned it before but then it had felt impossible. But maybe it wasn't anymore.

Miss Horn nodded encouragingly. "You have proof now. The muffins are still in your room and Tyler's hospital records will be saved."

"Can you help me?" he asked. "Like I don't even know... where to begin. How do I do this?"

"Of course I will help you, Robin." Miss Horn smiled warmly, making Robin believe that maybe this was possible. With her aiding him, and with Tyler by his side, he could do this. He could report his mother.

He took a sip of his tea, letting the warm liquid thaw him from the inside out, and gave Miss Horn an affirmative nod. "I'll do it," he whispered. "Just tell me what to do."

"I'm proud of you, Robin," Miss Horn said, putting her hand on his. "That's not an easy decision to make." She pulled out her phone from her pocket. "I have contacts at the police department for cases such as this. I will call them and someone should be over here shortly to take statements from you and Tyler. And probably from me as well. I'm not sure exactly what will happen after that, but I will be there for you throughout the process."

Robin glanced over toward the counselor, letting a smile grace his lips. "Thank you."

He exhaled, taking another sip of the tea in his hand. The knot in his throat wasn't gone, but it had shrunk somewhat.

"Are you Robin Erie?" A man stepped out from the exam room beside them. The room where Tyler had been taken after being rushed into the ER.

Robin nodded. The knot once again grew, threatening to take over his chest and lungs.

"He's asking to see you. You can come right in." The man held the door open, waiting for Robin to rise.

"Is he... fine?" Robin asked, unable to take the words in.

"Except for some lingering fatigue, Mr. Caster is doing fine. We gave him some jello cups to eat, to get his blood sugar up, and he's already downed five of them."

That did sound like Tyler. Perhaps he was actually fine.

Encouraged by a helpful nudge from Miss Horn, Robin walked toward the door. Before he stepped inside the room, she made a gesture toward her phone, informing him that she would call her contacts while he was inside.

Robin peeked into the room, suddenly nervous that while Tyler was physically fine, he might be angry at Robin for what had happened.

"Robby!" Tyler's greeting made all Robin's worries wash away. His boyfriend wore a pale blue hospital gown and sat on a bed covered in bleached hospital sheets. Despite the drab colors, the room didn't feel bare, because was filled with every sparkling shade of Tyler. "I got jello cups." He held up a cup with a bright yellow substance in it. There were a collection of empty cups on the bedside table."Do you want one?"

Unable to ever say no to Tyler, Robin took the offering. "So you're not... mad at me?" he asked.

Tyler gave him a confused look. "Why would I be mad at you, cutie? You were a damn superhero ushering me here. A very hot superhero... Although I guess a lot of them are, although not as hot as you, of course."

"Be-because... it was my fault," Robin stuttered. "You wouldn't be here if it wasn't for me. I will report her. I promise. She won't be able to hurt you again."

Tyler gave him another baffled look, before stretching out his hand. "Come here," he urged Robin, patting beside him on the sheet.

Robin obeyed, putting the jello cup on the bedside table. A warm arm that smelled of lemon jello and disinfectant welcomed him, pulling him into a soft embrace. Blond curls tickled his forehead as Tyler leaned close.

"If it wasn't for you, Robby," Tyler whispered into his hair, "then I wouldn't have anything. I would still be miserable and confused. But you make me so darn happy every day. So regardless of what your mom did, I would never wish I hadn't met you. Alright?"

Finally letting the words settle on his anxious nerves, Robin nodded. "Alright," he repeated.

"I got you, Robby, always."

"And I got you, Ty, forever."

Soft fingers, like the caress of flowing grass, touched his jaw. Such a different touch than the forceful grab of his mother when she tried to shove pills in his throat.

Robin leaned into the touch, tilting his jaw upward toward welcoming sweet lips with a taste of lollipops, rainbows, and love.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.8K 802 14
A hopeless teen finds out he's close to being kicked out of school for good. He then ends up meeting a boy who's way too nice for his own good, good...
159K 6.9K 28
When Milo returns home from college for winter break, he's surprised to discover that his brother brought more than luggage and dirty laundry. Milo i...
872K 38.6K 36
-KIND OF MATURE- "I wouldn't fuck you if you paid me." Well, at least my question is answered. He can get more punchable. We glare at each other, I...
108K 3.2K 44
When two lovers' best friends meet for the first time... lots of feelings can rise. Attraction, confusion, lust... love? Will they be able to overcom...