The Box

Da einsy1c

A random act of kindness can make a difference is someone else's life... Altro

intro
1. ballpen
2. snacks
3. party
4. wheelchair
5. coffee
6. pouch
7. Siegfried and Athena
8. workspaces
9. shoebox
10. birthday
11. Saturday
12. diary
13. trust
14. acquaint
15. adoption
16. beach
17. weekend
18. pasalubong
19. Sagada
20. wealth
21. allowance
22. surprises
23. new life
24. Pinoy in Canada
26. cuddle
27. emergency
28. clothesline
29. parents
30. charity
31. vows
32. extraordinary
33. concern
34. arrival
35. bottle
36. additions
37. gifts
38. memories
39. homecoming
40. blessings
41. tissues
42. day off
43. stress
44. treasure
45. box

25. reconnecting

108 19 3
Da einsy1c

"Meng!"

"Betchay!"

"Long time, no see! Kamusta ka na?" Betchay, Maia's highschool classmate, learned that Maia was in Vancouver and was able to meet up with her. Maia introduced Betchay to Chuck's family.

"You girls have fun. Dad wants me to check something at the office" Chuck said when Betchay invited him to join them for a day out.

"Lizzie na ang tawag sa akin dito."

"Lizzie?"

"Short for Elizabeth. Sa ospital, Lizzie ang tawag sa akin ng mga taga-dito pero, yung mga kasamahan kong Pinoy, Betchay pa rin ang tawag sa akin. Pero, yung mga housemates ko, mga nurse din, 'Betchay' ang tawag sa akin sa bahay."

"Mga Pinoy din?"

"Kami lang ni Ana ang Pinoy, si Jenny, French-Canadian, si Ilse, German, si Ha-Eun, Korean"

"Anim kayo sa bahay?"

Betchay nodded. "Share kami sa renta. SIguro nadala ka na nung asawa mo sa karamihan ng tourist spots dito sa Vancouver, ano?"

"Di ko pa sya asawa..." Maia replied. The first week of their trip had Maia stay mostly at home while Chuck and Mommy Rose took care of Daddy Rick. Chuck would sometimes take her along when he'd go to the drugstore or supermarket. The area of the house was very near a park which had a lot of small shops so they spent many afternoons strolling there.

"Di pa?"

"Sa December pa ang kasal namin. Biglaan lang yung uwi nya dito sa Canada kasi nagkasakit yung Daddy nya"

"Ah. Si Nanay, nagtatahi yun ng mga damit. Eto o" Betchay showed Maia some of the dresses her mom makes in Cavite.

"Hmm...wala pang damit si Nanay..."

"Sabihan mo lang ako at itatawag ko kay Nanay. Or, better yet, ibigay ko yung number nya para kayo na mag-usap" Betchay said. "Marunong kang magmaneho?"

Maia glanced at Betchay and shook her head. Betchay brought Maia to a lake-side restaurant and rented a boat so they could relax and talk for a while before lunch. Betchay giggled.

"Sa totoo lang, takot ako sa malalim na tubig" Maia said softly. She was already feeling anxious when they first approached the marina. It was only then that Betchay realized that Maia was scared; Maia was pale-faced and was clutching tightly to her life-jacket.

"Bakit di mo sinabi agad?" Betchay carefully turned the boat around and sailed back to the marina.

"Magaling ka naman mag-drive e. Atsaka first time kong makasakay ng speedboat..." Maia said when they reached the restaurant and ordered their lunch.

The ladies reminisced about their high school days over lunch. "I-add mo ako sa Facebook ha? Tapos, sabihan mo ako agad kung babalik ka ng Canada" Betchay said when she brought Maia home later in the day.

"Maraming salamat sa araw na to."

"You're welcome. Kelan nga uwi nyo ng Manila? Mag-coffee tayo bago ka umalis"

"Next Saturday"

"Sige, tawagan mo lang ako"

"Thank you ulit"

---

"I heard you girls went to the lake. What did you do there? Did you have oysters?"

"Nag-renta si Bet...si Lizzie ng speedboat. Nag-order sya nung dalawang klaseng oysters. Yung isa, yung pinigaan lang namin ng lemon. Yung isa naman, may sauce. Parehong masarap."

"Oh. She knows how to drive it?"

Maia nodded and giggled. "Parang nag-d-drive lang daw ng kotse..."

"Did you have fun?"

Maia nodded.

"That's good"

---

Aside from reuniting with Lizzie/Betchay, Chuck excitedly planned to give Maia a taste of the city he grew up in. Their two week vacation was filled with all kinds of activities Maia could imagine. Maia could not stop gushing about the fresh and huge fruits and vegetables she saw at the market.

"Nay! Tay! Yung mga prutas dito, ang lalaki! At ang tatamis!" Maia said on video call to her parents. She showed them photos she took and they, too, were amazed at the size of the fruits Maia presented. "Kaso, ang sabi ni Chuck, bawal atang magdala ng fresh na prutas sa Pilipinas. Bibili nalang daw tayo sa supermarket. Yung mga imported."

"Sus! Wag na! Magastos pa yan at mabigat." Nanay said.

"Ah Nay, naalala nyo si Betchay? Si Elizabeth, yung anak ni Aling Susana at Mang Jaime?"

"Betchay?"

"Opo. Yung nakatira sa tabi nung water tank dun sa dati nating tinitirhan"

"Si Jaime na electrician?" Tatay asked.

"Opo. Yun po."

"Umalis na rin ata sila dun sa barangay."

"Opo. Sila nga po. Lumipat sila sa Cavite. Yung isa nilang anak, si Betchay, naging kaklase ko nung highschool."

"Ah"

"Lizzie na ang pangalan ni Betchay. Nakahanap sya ng trabaho dito sa Vancouver."

"Ah, talaga?"

"Opo. Kumain nga kami sa labas kanina. Lizzie na daw sya sa trabaho pero Betchay pa rin sa pamilya at mga housemates nya"

"Mabuti naman. Eh kamusta na sina Susana?"

"Nagtatanggap daw ng patahi si Aling Susana tapos si Mang Jaime naman po, nagkukumpuni pa rin ng mga electronics. Minsan ata nag-s-sideline ng paglinis ng aircon. Si Lizzie, nurse dito sa Vancouver"

"Mabuti naman"

"Pinakita nga nya sa akin yung mga gawa ng Mama nya. Ang gaganda, Nay! Sabi ko sa kanya, susubukan natin magpagawa ng mga damit sa kanya. Binigay din nya yung number ng Papa nya para may matawagan daw tayong electrician kung kailangan natin..."

---

"We should definitely come back here during winter" Chuck said as they hiked up the mountain. They stopped at the top where the view of the city was spectacular. In fact, Chuck prepared a nice picnic for them.

"Winter?"

"Yup! This place is covered in snow. Great for snowboarding and skiing!" Chuck beamed.

Maia could only imagine what it was like during winter. She had yet to experience the season. "Marunong ka?"

"Skiing? Yeah, a little. Dino and I tried snowboarding, too. Don't worry, there's a beginner's slope over there..." Chuck pointed to an area near the foot of the mountain where they parked their car. "Isn't there an ice skating rink in the mall in Manila? Have you tried?"

Maia shook her head. "Watch lang pag napapadaan"

"Hmm...let's try it out when we get home"

---

Because Daddy Rick had returned from hospital, all of their meals were now in the main house. Maia only got to experience Mommy Rose's early morning "pre-breakfast" meals in the little cottage three times while she and Chuck were in Vancouver.

When she and Chuck were home or Chuck was busy with their family businesses, Mommy Rose would discreetly train Maia how to be a good wife. In fact, she enjoyed Maia's company and doted on her like her own daughter. Mommy Rose was also the same with Kim, Dino's wife. Everyday, Dino and Kim would drop off their son, Jacob, at his Nana Rose's house while they went to work. Although Jacob had a nanny to take care of him, Mommy Rose supervised his care. Jacob also immediately warmed up to Maia and was always smiling and happy to be around her.

To 'return' Mommy Rose's kindness, Maia quietly and discreetly prepared a meal for the family. During the times she would be alone in the bedroom, Maia watched a lot of cooking and home improvement videos. After she decided on what to prepare, she showed Jules the video and asked her to do the shopping. Maia got along well with the rest of the staff that they also joined in in keeping Maia's secret.

---

"That was delicious!" Daddy Rick exclaimed after the meal. "Sigurado akong tataba na si Chuck!"

They all giggled. Chuck wasn't skinny but he needed to put on a little weight.

"She's ready..." Mommy Rose said with a smile.

"Yes!" Chuck exclaimed and pulled Maia for a side hug. He kissed her on the head. "Thank you for this"

"Ano oras nga ang flight nyo?"

"11:05 pm..." Chuck said.

"Ready na kayo? Have you gotten everything you need?"

"I think so. I'll call you if we forget anything."

"...susunod naman kami nina Daddy and Dino and his family a week before your wedding" Mommy Rose said.

"...may time pa ako..." Maia said after a while.

"Huh?"

"...may time pa akong matutong lutuin yung mga gustong kainin ng Mommy at Daddy mo"

"They're your Mommy and Daddy too"

Maia nodded. "Ano po ang nami-miss nyong kainin sa atin?"

"Hmm...bagnet!" Daddy said.

"Sus! Itong si Rick, basta chicharon or related sa chicharon, paborito nya!"

"Kayo po?"

"Actually, nami-miss ko kumain sa local fast food sa Manila. Miss ko din kumain ng authentic lomi at palabok."

"Sige po, pag-aaralan kong lutuin yung mga request nyo"

"How about me?"

"You?"

"Aren't you going to ask me what my favorite food is?"

"Lahat naman kinakain mo e....except for liver..."

"...in menudo..."

"Oo nga. Weird rin e..."

"Weird?"

"Kasi, ayaw mo ng atay sa menudo pero kumakain ka ng bopis"

"Kumakain sya ng bopis?" Mommy Rose glanced at Maia in amazement.

"Opo. Yun ang madalas nyang ino-order pag kumakain kami sa karinderya malapit sa ampunan"

"It's masarap!" Chuck smiled.

"Nasa pagluluto din yan..." Mommy Rose said.

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerĂ  anche

128K 5.4K 17
Two hearts brought together by fate. Two hearts that fell deeply in love. Two hearts now tied together. Two hearts that will forever beat as one.
72.3K 4.2K 21
When and how are you going to steer clear from that one person you've loved for so long?
322K 14.6K 41
Different worlds, Different circumstances, Fate brought them together, But will they remain there?
240 4 20
Not always heroes do good deeds.... Or do they?