Darth Vader: Hero of Naboo

By TheArinek

The Force often works in strange ways. That was never truer when Darth Vader, not Anakin Skywalker, found him... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 12

5.2K 107 58
By TheArinek

Vader found himself looking out a window in the halls of Palpatine's suite, having wordlessly vacated the room when it was time for the Queen to don a different robe for the Senate meeting. Not to mention, it was his would-be-wife's body when she was fourteen, so...Time travel allowed for many uniquely awkward situations to be possible.

Though, he supposed that was why being around her was so easy. She wasn't his Padme. Not yet...not the one he strangled on Mustafar, he recalled with a balled fist. She was so different in so many little ways that it was easy to focus on those. His mother, however...she was just the same as when he left Tattoine for the first time, and as when she died. There was nothing to use as a barrier between himself and the memories of her death.

He felt the Dark Side itching at him, invigorated by the emotions lurking beneath the surface. There were many Jedi watching him. He could probably kill a few before the others even knew what happened. And if you drop a body down the depths of Coruscant, there would be no proof...

He bristled and the Dark Side retreated its desire. As tempting as it would be to snuff out a few Jedi that he could foresee being particular nuisances, he couldn't afford to do that. Not now, if he wanted to do this how he planned.

He was brought out of his musing as Anakin Skywalker joined him at the window. "Why aren't you with your mother, boy?" Vader asked bluntly, not even looking away from the view.

The young force-sensitive flinched a bit, but otherwise remained silent a moment longer. "I'm...going to the Jedi Temple, to see if I can become a Jedi," Anakin answered softly as he looked towards his feet. "Qui-Gon...said I should say goodbye to her. I won't be allowed to see her much if I'm in-inishit- allowed in," Anakin fumbled for a moment to his own embarrassment.

Vader grew cold at that, the temperature literally dropping. If Anakin noticed, he paid it no mind. "What is she planning to do?" Vader asked, softer than he meant to.

"I don't know," Anakin answered with a sigh. "Padme says the Queen might be able to help her find a place on Naboo, but...told me not to say anything in case things don't work out," Anakin answered uncertainly, knowing from a lack of innocence what was implied by that. "But Master Qui-Gon said he and Obi-Wan Kenobi have some friends that might give her a job," Anakin answered with a small smile.

Vader resisted the urge to snort as he imagined his mother working in that diner belonging to Obi-Wan's Besalisk friend. Dag? Dax? Dex, that was it. Arguable better than life on a Tatooine moisture farm.

"I...already said goodbye to Mom and the Queen said she'd tell Padme for me," Anakin started before taking a deep breath as he turned to stare up at the Dark Lord.

"And now you're here to bid me farewell," Vader deduced, deciding to be patient with his younger self.

"No," Anakin answered, actually surprising the Sith as he turned to give the boy his attention. "I..get the feeling this isn't goodbye. Not really. So I just wanted to say thank you, for everything," he explained with a bright smile, giving Vader a brief bow. When the cyborg didn't respond, Anakin took that as his cue to leave.

He made it halfway to the end of the hall before Vader called after him. "Skywalker."

Anakin stopped, turning to stare as Vader faced him fully. "Yes?" he responded uncertainly.

Vader stared at himself for an instant as he collected his thoughts. "You've dreamed of being a Jedi before, correct?" he questioned, getting a nod. "Whatever happens at the Temple? When you become a Jedi...become the Jedi you dreamed of being, not the one they want you to become," he urged firmly.

Anakin stared for a moment, eyes wide with disbelief before he broke into a smile-and were those tears? "I-I will! Thank you, Vader!" he called with determination and gratitude before running off, towards his destiny no doubt.

Vader sagged in his solitude as the Dark Side reeled up to support him. He had absolutely no idea how that little exchange would affect his other self long term, but...he knew for a fact that the boy needed to hear something to that meaning. Some voice in the din of Jedi to remind him that he didn't have to be like them to be a Jedi.

After all, he wasn't completely assured that Qui-Gon would live past the Battle for Naboo.

Meanwhile

*Kksssshhhh!*BZZT*BZZT*Kksssshhhh*

Obi-wan had to admit, it was amazing to watch Dooku, a master of Makashi, in a sparring duel. Even if it was against Qui-Gon.

Or especially.

Unlike other styles, it was designed for saber-to-saber combat. More elegant and focused as opposed to the rapid and hard striking form of Ataru that Qui-Gon favored, it was obvious that while the Coruscant-native Jedi was well deserved of the title of Master, his old teacher was clearly the one leading the fight. Blows dodged ever so slightly, heavy blows were deflected with their own momentum.

That didn't make it any less amazing to watch, hence the crowd of Jedi from younglings to even a few Masters gathered around the training ground to watch the spar between two (in)famous icons in the order.

"Very good, Qui-Gon," Dooku praised playfully as they held their stances. "In another ten years, I might be too old to keep up."

"Five years ago, you would have ended this in half the time and I wouldn't be out of breath," Qui-Gon quipped in kind as he leapt at his master, who side stepped the bulk of the attack while deflecting it. Qui-Gon, fully expecting that, used the momentum to spin around, aiming for Dooku's unarmed side, only for the elder Jedi to move back just enough for it to miss entirely.

"Time makes fools of us all, Qui-Gon," Dooku remarked...holding his lightsaber just away from Qui-Gon's neck, signaling his victory.

Qui-Gon took a deep breath as they deactivated their lightsabers, a round of applause meeting their ears. "You're not the only one age is catching up on," Qui-Gon remarked as he took a breath.

"And yet you insist on not incorporating forms that consume less energy in their attacks," Dooku scolded, concern and reprimand as one. "I fear your stubbornness in all things, while endearing, will be the death of you one day, my old padawan."

"It works well for Master Yoda," Qui-Gon defended halfheartedly.

Dooku snorted, almost laughing at that. "My former master will likely be out performing members of the council even when on his death bed," he pointed out before glancing at the crowd of Jedi, young and old, watching and lingering in case there was another match. "But at least we managed to give a live lesson for the padawans and younglings."

"Speaking of which...," Qui-Gon trailed of with a grin towards his own padawan, watching from a nearby distance. "Obi-Wan! Come here," he called waving him over.

Dooku rose an eyebrow as he felt the unease the young Jedi had while approaching. "What exactly is he doing?" he inquired, sensing a good deal of dread from the apprentice.

"Trying to imagine a way this won't end badly for him," Qui-Gon answered in amusement as his student joined them. "Right, Obi-wan?"

"I suppose that stay with the healers is out of the question?" Obi-wan tried with a hint of dryness.

"Do you always dread sparring or am I an exception?" Dooku inquired with curious amusement.

"With all respect, Master Dooku, I have no desire to be thoroughly bested and force-handled by another opponent I have no chance against," Obi-wan opined with a wince. "Still getting the sand out from the last time."

Qui-Gon couldn't hold back a mental snicker through his bond with Obi-wan while Dooku gave the slightest chuckle in the back of his throat. "The quickest remedy for that would be to train until you do have a chance, Young Padawan," Dooku recommended as he readied his lightsaber once more. "And as my Master often says, failure is the greatest teacher."

"And the cruelest," Obi-wan added in jest as he pulled his saber as well, getting into a familiar stance.

"Hmm, Ataru," Dooku noted, and Obi-wan already felt like he had failed some hidden test.

Meanwhile

Padme hid it well, but she was in awe of the senate chambers. The scope of it was hard to swallow initially, the thousands upon thousands of repulsorpods, serving as seats for the countless delegates. Row upon row, more and more pods the higher she looked onto the spherical nature of the room took over. It was a reminder of how small her world was and how encompassing the Republic was.

Yet its girth didn't guarantee effectiveness.

"Almost everyone has that reaction the first time, your highness," Palpatine assured as he began to fiddle with the controls. Something she noticed other senators or their aides doing as well as they waited for the Supreme Chancellor to begin the session. If she had to speculate, they were checking to see if the systems were operating correctly. She could only imagine how embarrassing it would be for one's own seat in the chambers to malfunction during such an important event.

"What can we expect from the Trade Federation, Senator?" Amidala questioned with a frown.

"From Lott Dod, their representative? Much bolstering and token outrage with a motion to defer," Palpatine explained dryly, grimacing as he angled himself for his face to not be seen. That was a bit too Sidious instead of Palpatine. But he sensed no emotional reaction from her, so she took it as stress or distaste for the Neimoidian. Which wasn't untrue. Lott Dod was an impressive bureaucrat, but he was so petty and unambitious that it annoyed the Sith on some principal.

But Padme didn't take note of the tone as she was too busy searching the senate room for species she would recognize as ones native to planets near Naboo. There were many humans, unsurprisingly, but it was hard to guess who was from where in that regard. Who else had been truly harmed by the Trade Federation, who could possibly have common cause with her?

"If it comes to that," Palpatine spoke up as he stood straighter, hinting that the session was about to begin as the Supreme Chancellor's station began to rise at the center of the chambers. "I must implore you, Your Majesty, to ask for a resolution to end this congressional session," he urged strongly.

"I wish I had your confidence in this, Senator," Padme admitted regally. "You truly believe Chancellor Valorum will not even bring our motion to a vote?"

Her fellow Naboo shook his head solemnly. "He is distracted...afraid. He will be of no help," he stated with some mixture of resignation and resolve.

But even if only in his mind, he admitted he was projecting a bit now as he tried and failed to not let his senses linger too much on Vader. He had only barely recollected himself after his failed mental attack. And yet, he could sense the Third Sith was still in Palpatine's guest room, all alone and doing...nothing.

That was more nerve wracking than if he had been snooping amongst Sidious's documents! What was he waiting for? Surely the Jedi spying on him were not enough of a deterence for someone like Vader.

"The Chair recognizes the senator from the sovereign system of Naboo," Valorum declared from his center most position, flanked by his aides and advisers.

The Naboo congressional box floated out towards the Chancellor's station, the Galactic Senate's equivalent of having the floor. "Supreme Chancellor, delegates of the Senate. A tragedy has occurred on our peaceful planet of Naboo. We have become caught in a dispute you're all well aware of, which stated right here with the taxation of trade routes, and has now engulfed our entire planet in the oppression of the Trade Federation," Palpatine articulated, excluding both humility and low-tone disgust for the "tragedy" befalling his home world.

Another pod was racing to the center by the time he was finished. Yes, things were moving along nicely. He just had to make it through a couple more hours at most before he could slip away.

"This is outrageous! I object to the Senator's statements!" Lott Dod exclaimed in what would seem genuine if one didn't know his race's bodily cues well enough.

"The Chair does not recognize the Senator from the Trade Federation at this time," Valorum countered in a professional, almost scolding tone.

The Neimoidian reluctantly backtracked, but didn't return his pod to his station.

"To state our allegations, I present Queen Amidala, the recently elected ruler of Naboo, who speaks on our behalf," Palpatine introduced, gracefully giving the queen his spot at the figurative head of the repulsorpod, a low murmur spreading through the massive room before dying off.

"Honorable representatives of the Republic, distinguished delegates, and Your Honor Supreme Chancellor Valorum," Amidala addressed regally, watching the Chancellor intently to see if what Vader and her Senator claimed were true. "I come to you under the gravest of circumstances. The Naboo system has been invaded, against all the laws of the Republic. by the Droid Armies of the Trade Federation-"

"I object!" Lott Dod called out again in outrage. "There is no proof. This is incredible," he declared in what sounded more like exasperation than denial. "We recommend a commission be sent to Naboo to ascertain the truth."

"Overruled," Valorum declared firmly, sending another warning look to the delegate.

But the insectoid alien bristled and pressed the matter. "Your Honor, you cannot allow us to be condemned without reasonable observation! It's against all the rules of procedure," he reasoned as another pod floated forward to join his cause, a triclopes whose species Padme didn't inherently recall.

"The Congress of Malastare concurs with the honorable delegate from the Trade Federation! A commission must be appointed," Aks Moe seconded.

Valorum looked fairly impatient with the pair. "The point..." he started, trailing off as aides and vice chairman started to confer with him

Padme narrowed her eyes minutely as she watched this exchange, Palpatine leaning close to converse with her. "And here we have the bureaucrats, the true rulers of the Republic, and on the payroll of the Trade Federation, I might add. This is where Chancellor Valorum's strength will disappear," he said knowingly, more expectant than resigned.

The Supreme Chancellor all but sighed as he looked at the monarch in apologetic defeat. "The point is conceded...Section 523A take precedence here. Queen Amidala of Naboo, will you defer your motion to allow a commission to explore the validity of your accusations?"

Queen Amidala simmered in her anger. It was very hard to secure proof in an age like this. Any government could feasibly create a a fraudulent video that appeared genuine and true. That was why the commissions that were sent were special droids or records, completed with special coding generated into the presentation that was nigh-impossible to fake without being detected.

If that was the only issue, she would be resigned to the delay, but that would not be the point of the commission, she knew. There would be no speedy investigation, they would bury the invasion if not falsify report to "disprove it" outright. All on the credits of the Trade Federation.

"No," Amidala declared in a controlled voice that still radiated her displeasure with this turn of events. "I will not defer. I have come before you to resolve this attack on the sovereignty of our planet now. I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die while you discuss this invasion in a committee!" her speech echoed over the senators as they grew quiet and interested with this display. "Is this what the Republic has become, senators? A government where the rich and powerful can purchase a sovereign world and its suffering? How many more worlds must know the pain of oppression before it is decided as "enough?"" she challenged to the body at large.

Palpatine showed some legitimate concern, for his plans if nothing else, as he leaned in with the intent to caution the queen against antagonizing the senate too much, lest it detract from the sympathy their current crisis garnered. Yet, he stropped and glanced off to the side with a pensive expression. Not over this skirmish of politics, no. He could sense it, some one slipping through the various Jedi keeping watch of Vader, the light siders all utterly unaware of the infiltrator. What was this...?

His attention shot back to his current surroundings as the Queen finished her little speech. "If this body is not capable of action, I suggest new leadership is needed. I move for a vote of no confidence...in Chancellor Valorum's leadership," she announced firmly.

Taking a mental scan over the chambers as many sounds of jeers and approval rang out, he summarized that this was fine. Favor was still with the queen and the only ones incensed were majorly against the Trade Federation. Yes, this would work well.

The Supreme Chancellor was visible stricken with shock, numbly taking a seat. "Order!" Mas Amedda called, taking over to get control of the situation once more.

"Alderaan seconds the motion for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum," a male voice called out as another pod joined the floor, Padme glancing at the man curiously, appearing to be in his twenties or thirties. Alderaan was a planet she had heard of, similar to her own planet in many ways.

"The motion has been seconded by Bail Organa of Alderaan," Mas Amedda acknowledged briefly before turning to converse with his chancellor.

"There must be no delays. The motion is on the floor and must be voted upon in this session," Bail urged firmly as the Lott Dod scrambled to salvage the situation for an advantage.

"The Trade Federation moves the motion be sent to the procedures committee for study," the Trader Federation representative challenged.

But it was to no avail. Even as Valorum and Mas Amedda tried to whisper to one another, a chant began to rise over the assembly, "Vote now! Vote now! Vote now!"

"The tide is with us," Palpatine congratulated as he leaned in. "Now they will elect in a new Chancellor. A strong Chancellor. One who will not let our tragedy continue...," he promised, his serpent's tongue and dark powers planting feelings of assurance for his success in her mind.

"The Supreme Chancellor requests a recess," Mas Amedda announced over the chanting. "The vote shall begin when we reconvene."

Padme met the eyes of Valorum, who looked utterly defeated and betrayed. She almost felt regret, but genuinely pitied the man. There was nothing she could read in him of corruption or malice, only a well-meaning politician that was both burdened and trapped. He met her gaze and the betrayal vanished, granting her a nod and a brief smile of understanding. Perhaps even respect, but the betrayal returned as he looked past her.

With effort, she didn't narrow her eyes. He blamed Palpatine but not herself? Curious.

Sidious, not Palpatine, was actually grateful on his part for the minor delay. Vote now, tonight, or tomorrow. It made no difference to him. What could make a difference was this development:

Darth Vader had a visitor.

Meanwhile

Vader stared listlessly off into the now empty room. Being Supreme Commander of the Imperial Forces had spoiled him some. He was now accustomed to the only delay before accomplishing a goal being how long it took to travel to a planet and land.

Padme had left to the Senate with Palpatine. Joining her there would raise too many questions for her at the moment. Not to mention, he was sure the Jedi would use some excuse of him potentially influencing the minds of the senators. Which was what Sidious and Plagueis were doing right now, ironically. Much of the Queen's entourage followed her, and the rest vacated the room. They either were uncomfortable around him or thought he desired privacy. He didn't fully care, but it was welcome all the same as he contemplated the situation.

The game was moving. Time had only deviated slightly so far in the grand scheme, but he could feel it. Not just with the Force, but in his mind. The Sith were on alert, the Jedi scrambling, the Chosen One before the council, the Senate assembled, and he was here. Things were ready to spiral out of control into a glorious mess of chaos. He merely needed to direct and mitigate the damage as things progressed. He couldn't stop it even if he wanted to, no one could. The Dark Side was salavating with anticipation as it eagerly watched for the spark that would ignite the keg. And it would provoke one if denied for too long.

Of course, it's not like there was completely nothing to do right now.

"If you wished an audience with me, I would suggest stepping out of the shadows," Vader instructed to the seemingly empty room, the room darkening with a subtle pulse in the Dark Side.

He glanced to the side and saw a shimmering of purple lights upon the wall as yet another ghost of the past greeted him. One he had personally killed.

"I believe we have little to say to one another, Dark Sider," the Dark Woman, formerly known as An'ya Kuro, answered with a firm scowl on her gracefully aged face. "You are too bold, openly coming here."

"I am not the one infiltrating a senator's residence," Vader countered without the slightest fear as he regarded her. She was very powerful, but he at least didn't have to worry about her ability to manipulate plants here, unlike their death match on Cophrigin V. Then again, unlike the resigned Dark Woman of the previous timeline, this one likely believed she had a chance of defeating him. She definitely had the will to try, he sensed.

"A Sith hiding behind legalities to survive. That must be humiliating to a self-proclaimed Master of the Dark Side," she mocked, goading him with a smirk.

"Baiting. How transparently Sith of you," Vader commented with a dryness one could feel in the force. "And you're mistaken. The Jedi's adherence to the laws of the republic aren't protecting me from you. It's protecting all of you from me," Vader corrected coldly as he moved away from the window, never totally looking away from her.

"Arrogance. How appropriately Sith of you," the Dark Woman returned in kind.

"You Jedi have adopted that quality rather thoroughly yourselves," Vader retorted effortlessly. "If you're finished failing to provoke an excuse to attack me, you should leave."

"Oh, and after you asked me to show myself for a chat?" she asked with a narrowed gaze, searching for a good opening.

Vader stopped in place, pausing before turning to her with a palpably curious look. "At what point did you believe I was addressing you, Jedi?"

She stared for a fraction of an instant as something finally clicked.

Vader hadn't been starring at her at all.

She spun around in a flash, turning away from the Dark Monolith that was Darth Vader in the Force-

-and beheld a Dark Mist. A great and creeping fog coalesced into a bipedal form that leered at her dispassionately.

She tried to ignite her saber, to push it away with the Force, to do anything. But she couldn't. Her body refused to respond and she could feel the cold void as the Force felt like she was being ripped away from it.

"W-what is...?!" she tried to speak, but her lips defied her.

But they did move, without her voice.

"Apologies, but I defeated you before you even entered the room."

The voice was cordial and insincere, calm yet without sympathy. It came from her mouth but she saw the Mist smirking at her. For the words belonged to it, taking her into a realm between nightmare and illusion...

Vader watched the twitching yet immobile form of the female Jedi Master, not unlike a malfunctioning droid. She was completely unresponsive to the world, starring ahead with uncomprehending and glazed over eyes. "I assume she won't recall this conversation?" he asked knowingly.

A short, honest, yet controlled chuckle met his ears as the air distorted around the Dark Woman for a second until the image of an old Muun with a transpirator affixed to his face bled into reality. "She is remarkably talented at cloaking herself, maybe even better than Sidious," the eldest living Dark Lord mused before turning to the time traveler. "I believe it's time we had a talk, Vader, Darth to Darth."

"I couldn't agree more, Plagueis," Vader answered as he regarded the Master of Sidious.

Meanwhile

"A ship...a cup...a ship..." Anakin listed off as he stood in the middle of the Jedi council chamber, all the masters watching him with interest as he saw the random images appearing on the datapad held by the bald, dark-skinned human. Mace Windu. Next to Yoda, a green alien that, unless Anakin missed his guess, was smaller than the former slave boy. Lot of new names to remember, but these were the important ones for now, if he was right. He paused for an instant, making sure if he was seeing a speeder or hovercar. "...a speeder," he answered with a small smile, sensing that as the final image.

The smile quickly fell as he felt the council staring at him with more than just eyes, even as they shared looks with one another. If he had to guess, they were seeing him in the force. If seeing was the right word, he wasn't sure but also wasn't picky.

Being born and raised as a slave had made him very good at reading people. Combined with his latent force abilities, the word "stoic" only meant to him that someone was trying to hide their emotions, rather than succeeding in doing so. Even here, he was able see enough. Watto had given off this same sensation to Anakin when he was thinking about buying them, or rather buy Anakin: wary, uncertain if he was worth the risk of investment. To this day, Anakin wasn't sure what convinced Watto to try and win them both from Gardula Besadii..

What he did know that these Jedi Masters weren't thrilled to have him here. He could understand not being interested; he had seen quite a few children, his age and younger, on his trip through the temple to here. But this was more than disinterest, this felt like he was...unwanted, like they thought he shouldn't be here.

Some of them at least. Most of them, maybe. It was a bit hard to tell with so many of them, and they were almost as good as his mother at hiding how they felt. But too many people thinking or feeling the same thing, and it became harder to hide that something was there.

Unlike certain times as a slave, Anakin knew for a fact he had done nothing wrong. He just got here! Yet he had the sinking sensation that a good number of them thought he was wasting their time.

"How feel you?" Yoda inquired, almost sounding lighthearted.

"Fine, Sir," Anakin answered, truthful and to the point.

"Afraid, are you?" Yoda prompted with a searching stare.

"No, Sir," Anakin responded instantly.

"Truly?" the grand master asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Be mindful of your feelings, young one," Yarael Poof advised calmly, almost soothingly.

"Many things, your mind does dwell on," Yoda remarked curiously.

"I'm...worried, but not about myself, Sir," Anakin explained.

"Your mother and...a young woman with the queen," Mace Windu sensed, giving the young human a hard look.

Anakin nodded slightly. "I'm not sure where my mother will go after this, now that she's free, but I think she'll be okay. And, Padme...I don't understand everything that's going on, but her planet is in trouble," Anakin summarized, still unsure of the why behind the invasion of Naboo. Something about taxes and plasma?

"And...one other," Mace pressed with the slightest frown. "A dark one."

Anakin could feel the tension in the room and knew instantly who this was about. "You mean Darth Vader?"

There was a subtle tension in the air now. "Yes, him," Plo Koon answered firmly as he leaned forward. Anakin didn't see it, but Yarael Poof frowned as he watched the exchange with concern. "What do you know of the Sith, young one?" he inquire with a searching gaze behind the lenses of his breathing mask.

It made Anakin think a lot of Vader, only with less audible breathing. Still, he paused as he thought about the question, but really only found one answer. "All I know is that he's the reason my mother and I are both free...and he's good at fixing things."

Meanwhile

"You ever get the impression she's mocking us?"

Vader had to admit, that was not the first thing he expected Plagueis to ask, tilting his helmet towards the still frozen Dark Woman. "In what way?" he inquired politely.

"Dark Woman, Dark Lord? Took up a new name as a force-user? Wears all dark colors? And unless I'm completely wrong, very brutal with her students? To the point almost provoking them to the dark side?" Plagueis listed off as he took a seat with all the grace of a leviathan coming to rest. Somehow displaying both elegance and terrible power.

"...It never occurred to me, but there may be some truth to that," Vader conceded as he too took a seat, the tension in the air alleviating slightly.

"You've gone to great efforts to rile my apprentice," Plagueis noted with a chuckle. "I'd be upset if I wasn't impressed. Sidious may be easy to anger, but his rage is something I've taught him to leash rather well. Earning it is a feat, but to intentionally want it is a curiosity."

"Even more a curiosity is a Muun with a human supremacist student," Vader retorted blandly.

"Oh, so you know even that?" Plagueis noted without any true surprise. "While stronger in him than most, it's not an unpopular sentiment among the humans of Naboo, due to their issues with the Gungans. Still, I chip away at that when I can. The Yinchorri incident at least taught him not to underestimate us non-humans," he mused, eyeing Vader a moment before chuckling. "There is none, Vader."

The third Sith didn't respond, staring at him with skepticism.

"There is no mental assaults, no trap here, no grand scheme for this meeting," Plagueis admitted calmly, casually. "This is a parlay, an honest meeting between two fellow Dark Siders. My only goal for this meeting is to know where all three of us stand."

"...The only lie there is that you're watching for any lies on my part," Vader noted with a hum of acceptance. "Most wouldn't admit to such a simple goal."

"Grand plans often have mundane but important stages," Plagueis mused. "And honestly, as much as your existence infuriates my student and his pet, nothing you've done has hindered my plans yet. I, for one, find you fascinating. I thought for sure that the Order of Bane was the last of the Sith," Plagueis noted with open and genuine interest.

"We all have our ways of hiding, Plagueis," Vader countered.

"And yet, you are clearly not hiding," Plagueis pointed out, stroking his chin thoughtful. "I simply must inquire, what is your stake in Naboo?"

"A long term investment," Vader answered evenly. "We both know what happens if this Grand Plan of your Order doesn't go how it should," Vader elaborated.

Plagueis narrowed his eyes, as if calculating a problem behind his wise, old eyes. "Hmm, a valid plan, but are you sure they are the best for it? They do love their democracy," he noted with some distaste.

"There are plenty of...traditional monarchies that are part of the republic, Plagueis," Vader hinted subtly.

Plagueis only needed half an instance to decipher the meaning. "Daring, but...a very beneficial gamble. And you are in the opportune position to influence such a change in ideology, however gradual or slight," he acknowledged, clearly pleased by the prospect, before frowning. "Is there a reason for incensing my student though? Or is an alliance so far outside the realm of possibility for you?"

"I am not your enemy, Darth Plagueis," Vader answered firmly. "Just Sidious's."

"Hmm, I wonder what he could have done to you if I'm so guiltless," Plagueis mused.

"If hatred was my only issue, that wouldn't be a problem," Vader countered.

"Oh?" Plagueis inquired, his brow scrunching before smiling in understanding. "A pragmatist, I see, willing to do away with grudges if unlikely alliances are needed. I approve, but still, do you truly find Sidious so offensive on a practical level?"

"Do you not?" Vader asked in legitimate curiosity.

"I find him endearing, actually," Plagueis answered fondly. "Sidious embodies the two greatest and most conflicting aspects of sapience in their most extreme states: A primal, insatiable need to dominate or destroy everything around him, yet a intellect that is frigidly cunning and dangerously imaginative. Armed with the force, he only needed to be honed and disciplined to wield these two in equal measures. Now his only flaw is keeping the inner conflict they cause in check," Plagueis mused with a chuckle, almost lost in memory. Almost.

"Your student wouldn't be fond of you telling me such weaknesses," Vader noted, almost smirking. Almost.

Plagueis snorted in his mask. "If Sidious hasn't realized you already were aware of his problem to begin with, he is at least aware that you knew it with how you've been goading him," he reminded with the barest shade of annoyance.

"Hmm, a valid point," Vader conceded with a nod. "Assuming I entertained the idea of allying with both of you, what are you even imagining?"

"Besides keeping Sidious on a leash around you?" Plagueis countered with a smirk.

"...Tempting," Vader stated with a paused, waiting for Plagueis to get to the true point.

"The Order of Bane has been in the shadows of the galaxy for millennia now. While that has afforded us a great amount of influence, secret allies, and time to improve ourselves...I will admit that there is one area we are lacking in," Plagueis admitted with a smirk. "Experience."

"I have no doubt that you have seen your share of battles, Plagueis," Vader countered in an odd show of humility.

"True, but...I am a scientist, Vader. Sidious, a politician. We can fight, we can slaughter many with our power, but we are not so dedicated to the application of battle as I sense you are," Plagueis admitted before smiling in a dark, twisted fashion. "Or in the application of it to a wider scale."

"..." Vader paused as he realized something even he had not been aware of until now. "So that is why the Order of Bane is not inclined to more militaristic roles," he deduced knowingly.

Plagueis let out an over-dramatic sigh. "Ahh, yes, you see through me. Overwhelming power is always a thing to possess, but what is truly impressive is creating the greatest effects with minimum effort," Plagueis explained, gesturing to Vader. "And you, O Warrior of the Dark...I may no longer see the future, but I can see what is right in front of me. Tell me, just how many plans do you have to remove the Trade Federation from Naboo?"

"I'd never use one I explained to you," Vader pointed out, getting a chuckle and expectant look. "Eighteen in the most worst case scenario."

"Worst case?" Plagueis repeated with a thoughtful scowl, glancing out the window himself. "...You haven't been antagonizing Sidious for the sake of it," he realized with a narrowed look. "You wanted him...focused on you. No, not on you, just unfocused on something else," he reasoned before locking eyes with Vader again. "The Queen."

"Sidious underestimates her. And when he's riled, Sidious loses focus on what he deems unimportant," Vader confirmed.

"You're using our own plan; manipulating her-" Plagueis started, only for Vader to shake his helmet mid-sentence.

"Guide, Plagueis. She will gladly fight and die for her planet. I just...directed her towards a proper armory," Vader elaborated with a hint of smugness.

"Do you really think she'll be able to find help in this cesspit?" Plagueis challenged with a raised eyebrow. "One that isn't in our pocket?"

"Hatred may create fragile alliances, but some only need to last for a single battle," Vader countered. "And if she fails, as I said, I have more than one solution."

Plagueis paused to hum. "As much as Sidious will hate it, I still see nothing about this that disrupts our plans. If anything, it paves the road."

"Assuming the Jedi don't have their way, I'll garner a favorable if mixed reputation from this incident," Vader stated as an admittance rather than a boast.

"While highlighting the ineffectiveness of the Republic, if not the Jedi as well," Plagueis added, clapping his hands together and pointing both pointer fingers at the time traveler. "I will ask again: Is it truly impossible for you to ally with us, Lord Vader?"

End of Chapter

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

195K 4.8K 69
Y/n is a Jedi padawan of the old republic who fought in the war against the sith empire. This was until one day while fighting against enemy forces...
834K 8.1K 14
BEING REWRITTEN. Updates weekly Living on Tatooine for eleven years as a slave under the ownership of Watto has been something close to a nightmare...
8.4K 197 18
Disclaimer: I do not own Star Wars. But only characters and ideas I create Chancellor Palpitine has just revealed himself as the Sith Lord to Anakin...
73.2K 3.2K 45
HIGHEST RANKING - #1 in Amidala (8/6/2018) In an alternate universe, Anakin Skywalker grew up as Darth Vader, minus all the cyborg parts. The Empire...