The Scorch || Marvel/HP

By dedicated_maraudee

The Wizarding World was changing drastically, all to do with the rumoured and pending war. While every adult... More

LOADING...
2 - Pathalogical Liar
3 - Regrets Already
4 - Control
5 - Loneliness
6 - Silence
7 - House Prejudice
8 - Urges
9 - Punishment
10 - Shit
11 - Bruises
12 - Halloween
13 - Hangovers
14 - Bonds
15 - Time Flies
16 - Curiosity
17 - Christams Ball
18 - Overdue Truths
19 - Amazement
20 - Finnic Lewis
21 - Tony Stark
22 - Taking Control
23 - Black Widow
24 - The Lab
25 - No Longer Alone
26 - The Gods
27 - Adults acting like Children
28 - Helicarrier Attack
29 - Medical Attention
30 - Training Limits
31 - Historians
32 - Battle of New York
33 - Post Battle
34 - Christmas Traditions
35 - Order of The Phoenix
36 - Black Ball
37 - New Year
38 - Return to Hogwarts
39 - Asgardian Ale
40 - Avoidance
41 - Deep Scarring
42 - Classroom Partners
43 - Offical Meeting
44 - Priorities
45 - Freya Everton
46 - Faux Emergency
47 - Can Never Catch a Break
48 - The World Hates Harlow
49 - Diazepam
50 - Awake Surgery
51 - Boy who cried werewolf
52 - The sunrise
53- Shit Hits the Fan
54 - Division
55 - Imperfection
56 - Differences
57 - Assassin Child
58 - Birthday Girl
59 - Present Time
60 - Borrowed Time
61 - Time of Death
62 - Missons Eyes
63 - Sam Wilson
64 - Sitwell
65 - Burning Up
66 - Not This Shit Again
67 - Broken Record
68 - Mind-numbing
69 - Blast from the Past
70 - Phone a Friend
71 - Two Weeks
72 - Rock Bottom
73 - Hello Death
74 - Mind Control
75 - The Trail
76 - The Return
77 - Comfort
78 - Healing Hands
79 - Unexpected Confessions
80 - Comfort Person

1 - Turning Point

12.2K 306 105
By dedicated_maraudee

{CHAPTER ONE}
"So what are you going to do? Kill me, or make me your weapon?"

If someone asked Harlow when her life took its drastic turn, she would not say the day when her mutant abilities first shone.

Neither the day, when she burnt down her whole house whilst trying to use them.

Or the day when she walked in on her parents having sex. Forcing her to reevaluate life as she knew it.

Nor the day an owl swooped into their house and delivered a letter. A letter claiming her to be a witch. That news took the household by complete shock.

All of those events, and many more, were traumatic and surprising but none could top the day that led to her being held captive. Harlow was lead to believe she was still safe. That no one knew about her genetics, so she sat on the scarlet train wrongfully happily. Surrounded by her new best friends who she'd quickly grown comfortable with.

It was that very same scarlet red train that she begrudgingly sat on three years later. But she wasn't that same girl. She was a changed person for better and certainly for worse. Harlow couldn't find a single trace of that little girl left within her, not after all she'd been through. She was not sat giddily on the train. Laughing away and reminiscing over all the fun she was having away from home. There was no trace of excitement or happiness within the shell of the older girl.

The compartment she had taken residence in, was thankfully completely empty, much to her preference. Her suitcase was flown open as she sat with a second year charms book in her hands sprawled open. Harlow was desperately trying to take in all the information from within the pages and practise the spells with her new wand. She had been completing the process of reading all about a charm before using it, since she boarded the train. She knew she had no time to spare if she wanted to make a smooth transition and catch up. After all, she had to somehow manage to get three years of knowledge imprinted into her brain. Which due to her circumstances, didn't seem to be completely impossible. Certainly with more time she would be up to speed in no time at all.

It was more a matter of how long she could continue with the mind numbing process. The girl couldn't fake any enthusiasm when it came to magic. Not anymore. Her first year self was more than ecstatic to be in this whole new world with endless things to learn. Frankly, the girl no longer cared. But, Harlow had to admit she appreciated the menial task. It kept her mind distracted from the plague that regularly infected her mind. Causing havoc and ruin to her thoughts.

Harlow memorised everything she could from the second and third year textbooks. She also completed every practical activity she could, not including potions or most of transfiguration. The girl was rather thankful you could cast spells on the train. One of the first charms she made sure to learn and use was the concealment charm.

That was all before the door slammed open and obnoxious laughter followed. "It was your fault! You packed the dung bombs wrong."

Harlow simply picked her eyes up from the book and scanned the new faces in the compartment. Four faces she recognised almost immediately, they hadn't changed much at all.

But, she very well had.

Harlow's eyes narrowed as they darted around the four boys faces. The boys that seemed to be too interested in their own bickering match to even fully walk into the compartment or take notice of the presence in the room. She cleared her throat loudly causing their heads to snap to hers. "Mind leaving?" She asked with a slight head jerk gesturing to the door.

"And who might you be?" Sirius Black (the infamous rebel questioned) cocking his eyebrows. He plonked himself down onto the bench opposite her and flashed her a toothy flirtatious grin.

That was new, she noted to herself. Clearly Sirius was trying to develop the name of the school stud, maybe he already had.

Harlow's eyes narrowed further onto him, maybe they had changed. She didn't doubt that they were still the troublemakers they were back in first year, but it was obvious they matured. Albeit in different ways. She doubted she could say that they had actually matured, just grown up a bit.

"Wow I don't know whether or not to be insulted. It may of been three years, but I still recognised you lot." Harlow mused with a slight grin, one she diminished quickly once she realised it managed to snake its way onto her face.

"Huh?" The group mumbled only to be silenced by Remus walking over and crouching down in-front of Harlow. His eyes scanned her face throughly, like he was searching for something to confirm his thoughts. His eyes suddenly widened in realisation. "Harley?" He breathed out, shock etched into his features. The other boys eyes widened as well, almost comically. 

"I haven't heard that name in a while." She mumbled to them an unreadable look breaking through her unbothered facade for only a split second. "I go by Harlow now."

"You basically vanished. Over the summer you never replied to any of letters and then you didn't return to school." James stated forcefully, "What happened?" He dared to ask, seemingly having no boundaries. Not that anything else would be expected of him.

Ah... the dreaded question. What happened?

Harlow's jaw clenched tightly, her mind flashing back to the horrible circumstances she lived. The truly despicable tasks she completed. "Family reason." She spat through harshly gritted teeth.
Already only a few words into a conversation and Harlow was feeling overwhelmed. Agitated even. Her nails were digging into the textbook, not that anyone noticed. Her eyes zoning out for a second as she felt the gnawing feeling in her stomach return unwelcomed.

She snapped her book closed causing the loud noise to echo through the peaceful compartment. "As cute as this conversation is, I'd like my peace. So shoo." She bluntly stated and raised her eyebrows expectantly.

The boys frowned at the waiting girl. Then their lips cracked a grin. "Good one." Peter chided and forced a laugh as he dropped down on one of the benches nudging away one of her books and started lounging on it. With Sirius already sitting down, it only left James and Remus to choose their spots. Like one would predict James sat right next to Sirius and Remus hesitantly sat next to Harlow.

"So why did you actually leave?" Sirius questioned as he straightened his legs out over the compartment and into Harlow's lap. His lips twisted in amusement when he saw her eyes snap to where his feet were resting.

"Like I said," she forcefully spoke as she gripped his ankles harshly causing him to yelp slightly from the pain. Harlow aggressively threw his legs of her and smirked triumphantly when she saw his attempt to rub the pain away. "Family business."

Remus nodded awkwardly. He couldn't tell but imagined how uncomfortable and irritated she was becoming due to their presence and questions. That was the thing about Remus, he was amazing at reading people. A skill only enhanced due to his lycanthropy. But for some reason he couldn't figure out Harlow and more importantly what she was thinking. He could however feel her rage bubbling up in her stomach. He swore he could feel heat radiating of her, which was only increasing in temperature.

"Wow, your family must be problematic." Sirius  bounced back immediately with his cocky grin proudly displayed. James snickered at his comment being wildly amused by his friend, like usual.

Harlow didn't find it entertaining at all.

Peter and Remus weren't too pleased by the snarky comment. Remus could sense that there was something clearly getting to the girl and on the other hand Peter knew what Sirius teasing of family could feel like - Peters parents being divorced and all. Sirius loved to tease the boy about the subject. Of course, Sirius never meant it maliciously. He was just used to joking about family matters and always thought it would make Peter feel better, like it did himself.

"Compared to your family, Black, not at all." Harlow snarked back with evident boredom, a certain emphasis on his name which everyone knew what it referred to. The compartment collapsed into silence after that comment so she returned her gaze to her book and found the page she was on earlier. 

"You know, you have changed quite a lot." James spoke up after a brief pause, breaking the silence. The way he said it held a certain negativity or better yet disappointment to it that Harlow didn't care for. Their opinion of her meant absolutely nothing.

"Well it appears you lot haven't." She murmured back as she kept her eyes focused on the words of the page, rather slowly. Previously she had been scanning the pages at practically the speed of light. It didn't take Harlow long at all to commit a page to memory. But the boys all watching her rather closely would have been curious if they saw.

"We have!" Peter contested, that sentence alone proving his point. Harlow remembered first year Peter. So shy and nervous. His checks would tint pink when called upon in class. He would get flustered in the Common room while waiting for his friends to return from god knows where.

"You must be blind not to see a difference. In first year we were boys, now we're men." James declared as he puffed his chest out. As if to prove his point, James flexed his muscles under his tee-shirt- they were still yet to change into their school uniform.

"Not impressive." Harlow hummed under her breath and turned another page. She didn't even spare the boys another glance, fully immersing herself in the knowledge.

James obvious gasped at her comment. Sirius made sure to be melodramatic and scoff before very loudly comforting James and telling him, "Just how big his muscles are" and "How manly he looks."

"Sorry about them." Remus whispered into her ear rather sheepishly. He scanned her face, trying to get even an inkling as to what she was thinking.

Harlow snapped her face to the side to look at Remus, their faces way closer than comfortable. "Now that, hasn't changed." She remarked with a roll of her eyes.

"What hasn't?" Remus responded instantly with a slight furrow to his eyebrows. His eyes started scanning even more relentlessly, analysing anything he could find.

"You... apologising for them." She told him matter of factly.

Then he saw it. Her eyes flashing and glinting with an emotion differently than earlier.

"Maybe you are right and you have changed." She uttered to the whole compartment, rather than just focussing on Remus. "I used to think you guys were awesome, clearly one of us have grown out of that phase."

"I'll have you know, us Marauders are legendary." Sirius defended and gestured between the group. The rest seemed to agree with his statement, each of them sitting up and nodding their heads.

"You actually named yourselves?" Harlow scoffed in amusement. They really were their own biggest fans.

"Yes and it is fitting!" James spat back as his checks turned slightly rosy. "Ugh I'm fed up of this disrespect, we're leaving." He theatrically stood up defiantly and marched straight out of the compartment not even waiting for the rest to follow him.

Sirius jumped up first and frantically swung his hair as he went to find James. Peter was next, standing up and flashing Harlow with an awkward grin. And lastly, was Remus. He stood and flattened down his trousers before leaving. Just as he was about to exit the door her turned his head quickly and muttered another apology. "They're rather proud of the name." He explained with a shoulder slump. He left out the part where he liked the name too, a lot.

Harlow spent the rest of the journey processing the textbooks to memory. Changing into the school uniform, her red tie tied loosely around her neck.
In the letter Dumbledore sent her back about her enrolment, he wrote to ride on the carriages and then go straight to his office.

So, that's what she did.

Everything was how she remembered apart from the creatures that dragged the carriages. The girl approached the horse like creatures with a sense of dread that she never felt the first time she saw them. Eleven year old her had no idea there was a dark reason why she saw those horses. And when she later found out, nothing but confusion spread through her body. But seeing them now, Harlow knew that she deserved to see the horses. They were a painful reminder of what she had done and she knew it was rightful for her to see them. She had to be reminded otherwise she'd face little to no consequences.

The castles vibe was also entirely different. The place she once saw as welcoming and homely, then felt eery and cold. Since everyone was heading to their room for a short period of time before the welcoming feast started and the first years travelled by boat. The only sounds in the corridor were Harlow's black boots hitting and scuffing against the polished floor. Her mind was only further hit was a gnawing feeling as she stood in front of the large stone gargoyle statue. She quickly uttered the password that Dumbledore provided on the letter and the statue started moving.

When the stairs presented themselves, Harlow took a deep breath in preparation and then travelled up the stairs. The office was exactly how she remembered it. Artefacts sorted all over the place, ancient looking books neatly displayed. Back in first year Harlow had visited his office a few times, he liked to see how she was doing.

That fact, made her very suspicious. Back in first year she was naive enough to believe Dumbledore just liked her or that he thought she was very smart, which is truer now more than ever. She realised how weird it was. And how bold he clearly was.

To be honest, Harlow knew, no matter what it was bad. If he knew, which she was almost a hundred percent sure of, he was either setting a trap to kill her. Or planning to use her to his advantage. In that stage of her life, she wasn't sure what she would have preferred.

"Good day. I must say it's great to see you back." Dumbledore's booming voice called out, immediately notifying her of his presence behind his desk. "How did the train treat you?" He questioned showing care, Harlow wasn't sure if it was real or not.

"Just fine." She muttered back as she plopped herself down onto the chair opposite him. "Thank you for letting me rejoin the school."

"Ah why of course. You were a great student back in first year so I do have high belief that you will excel this year." He chatted away with large grin. He was only adding to her suspicions. "If you don't mind me asking, you left the school because...?" Dumbledore lead off, awaiting his answer.

Harlow's eyes viciously narrowed at him, her jaw clenching tightly. She could tell he was up to something and it was obvious that he knew something. She'd gotten good at reading people, especially their ulterior motives. "Cut the bullshit!" She dared to scoff, her eyes daggering into him almost as if she was attempting to kill him.

"Miss Loughty." Dumbledore softly spoke, but still held its slight scolding ability. "I, in fact, do not know where you have been." He informed her as he clasped his hands on the desk.

"But you know what it's to do with." Harlow snapped back aggressively. "Don't even try to lie." She demanded as she pointed an accusing finger.

"You would be correct." Dumbledore started, nodding his head slightly. "I do know a lot of things. A certain mutation you have, even your unique abilities."

Harlow ran her tongue along her teeth while sighing. "So what are you going to do? Kill me, or make me your weapon?" She asked with a straight face, immediately getting to the point.

One thing she learnt during her captivation; straight to the point, or punishment.

"Miss Loughty, you must know it upsets me to know you think so lowly of me. I wouldn't dare take advantage of your abilities or kill you." Dumbledore rambled at a startle. His eyes widening, whether it was to due to him being caught out or him being so shocked by her words.

She had to remember to let him believe he was in control.

Harlow falsely whispered out an apology, claiming her words to be in defence and natural. Her words being no reflection on him. She softened her eyes and took a couple of deep breaths, creating the illusion that she was scared and panicking.

"So why would you inform me of you knowledge of me?" She forced a puzzled look onto her face and made sure he saw her fiddling with her sleeves.

"To offer you support. For you to know you don't have to suffer in silence. I also thought that it may do you best to have your own room, a room with certain adjustments. Still in the Gryffindor tower of course." Dumbledore explained, his eyes twinkling slightly.

Harlow had to bite her tongue to stop her from snarking about him being afraid of her burning the place down. Instead she smiled gratefully, "I suppose the place is charmed to be fire proof?"

"Yes indeed." Dumbledore nodded. "I also know that mutants, especially a mutant witch, are endangered. I believe it to be best that you hone your craft and to do so use the room of requirement. It's a hidden room on the Seventh floor, left corridor. It turns into whatever you need."

"Thank you." Harlow replied sincerely for once, it seemed for once she might reap some benefits from being what she is. She weighed up her options in her mind for her next words not wanting to give away too much or put herself in a position she would later regret. "Sir, I know I mentioned you using me as a weapon. I'm not stupid I know what going on, with the war. And I want to help, I truly do."

Dumbledore sighed gently and shook his head. "You are too young, yet." He said dismissing her comment. "It's time to get going to the welcome back feast. The first years will be arriving promptly."

"Sir." She quickly butted in before they left, putting her hand out to gesture for him to wait. "I don't think you understand the extent to what I can do. It would be wise of you to let me help. I suggest you think about it."

And although Harlow didn't know it then. Dumbledore was more than knowledgeable on what the girl could do than he let on. He knew the fate of the wizarding world and her important role to play in the future, he just didn't want to give it away all at once.

After all, Harlow may be playing a game... but so was Dumbledore.

WROTE 15/9/21
EDITED 24/1/23

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80 10 12
A tale of trust and friendship threatened by betrayal and secrets. The four gather, with a fifth in their ranks, to fight the evil that oppresses the...
150K 4.2K 94
"Thank you." "For what?" "Being there for me." "Like I said, I'll be by your side for eternity." โ€ขMarauders era โ€ขWhen Talea Lupin transferres to Hog...
38.4K 933 23
!This was discontinued until I posted the rest of the pre-written chapters. Many are unedited so forgive me! 7th year (Y/N) Black. Sirius's Older si...
5.5K 244 34
Everyone at Hogwarts knew about the Marauders. James Potter, the arrogant so-and-so, Sirius Black, the bad boy, Remus Lupin, the 'good' one, and Pete...