Princess of Arnor - The King'...

By vykiknighthadley

This book is subject to a complete Re-edit now that book one is finished. Book Two in the House of Greenleave... More

Chapter One: Cries in the Darkness (under Edit)
Chapter Two: Rescue!
Chapter Three: Battlecamp of the Galadhrim
Chapter Four: Game of Fate
Chapter Five: Lady of Water
Chapter Six: Reunions
Chapter Seven: Southbound
Chapter Eight: The Road to Minas Tirith
Chapter Nine: Princess of Arnor
Chapter Ten: The Wedding Party
Chapter Eleven: The Fountain
Chapter Twelve: Thurindaer
Chapter Thirteen: The Old Guesthouse
Chapter Fourteen: Firien Wood
Chapter Fifteen: Alethris
Chapter Sixteen: The King and His Queen
Chapter Seventeen: Simbelmynë
Chapter Eighteen: The Long farewell
Chapter Nineteen: Northward
Chapter Twenty: Return to Rivendell
Chapter Twenty One: The Royal Progress
Chapter Twenty Two: Lothlórien
Chapter Twenty Three: Eryn Lasgalen
Chapter Twenty Four: The Crowning
Chapter Twenty Five: A Queen's duty
Chapter Twenty Six: The Vice Regent
Chapter Twenty Seven: The Visitor (Under Edit)
Chapter Twenty Eight: Morgul Work
Chapter Twenty Nine: Law and order
Chapter Thirty: Dolenbar
Chapter Thirty One: Council of the Dúnedain
Chapter Thirty Two: The Waking of the Dúnedain
Chapter Thirty Three: The Last Battle of Annúminas
Chapter Thirty Four: A New Dawn
Chapter Thirty Five: The Unexpected Visitors
Chapter Thirty Six: Nínimiel
Chapter Thirty Eight: The First Adventure
Chapter Thirty Nine: The King's House
Chapter Forty: The Sundering
Chapter Forty one: Nínimiel's Choice
Chapter Forty Two: The Wrath of Mellessil
Chapter Forty Three: Westward
Chapter Forty Four: Mithlond
Chapter Forty Five: The Straight Road
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty Seven: The House of Greenleaves

17 0 0
By vykiknighthadley

"But I am a Half-Elf does that mean I cannot go too?"

Almost ten years had passed since Márafea had birthed Nínimiel. Now she was nearing the end of her second pregnancy. It had been difficult from the start; the sickness had been horrendous and had taken a long time to subside. Once the sickness passed, her belly grew fast and the twins within her moved constantly, as if fighting with one another. Now it was Lithe and Midyears' day was fast approaching. Márafea could barely walk and spent most of her days resting in the cool shade of the Summer Palace. Márafea rested on a daybed and looked out of the window at the midyear sun as it hung over the Green shield mountains. "Girls, stop," she whispered as her heavy belly pulsated. Márafea sighed as she tried to shift her position. "I feel as if there is a war being fought within me Merenthel."

Merenthel smiled, "It will not be long now my Lady Queen, the princesses will soon be in your arms." She plumped up Márafea's cushions and ordered one of the female attendants to bring more water.

Thranduil came into the parlour, "Don't get up, Mime melda, I will sit with you." An attendant placed a chair beside the daybed. Thranduil seated himself and clasped Márafea's hand. "Are they giving you trouble again?" he asked.

Márafea smiled wearily. "I fear we will need two cradles. They are wearing me out with their squabbles."

"That is strange, most twins prefer to sleep together as babes," said Thranduil.

"How was your ride?"

"Very enjoyable, Nínimiel's pony is getting a little small for her. I will soon need to find her a suitable horse. Legolas rode with us for a time, but he seemed distracted. He is off to East Lórien, again and may bring a guest with him upon his return."

"It must be serious then," said Márafea.

"I believe so, any wedding will be in East Lórien, of course, but I do not think he is in any rush. He has again talked of leaving for the south and others have expressed a wish to join him." The female attendant returned with two goblets, handing them to Thranduil and Márafea.

"When do you think he will depart?"

Thranduil took a sip from his goblet. "In a few years of the sun a shouldn't wonder, he wishes to know his sisters before he goes. I shall be sad to see him leave, but also proud, his regency has been the making of him."

Márafea took a sip from her own goblet. "Where is Nínimiel?"

"With Radagast," replied Thranduil coldly.

"That is to be expected, she wishes to learn of the forest and its secrets."

"Can she not learn from her father? I have walked this forest for thousands of years, yet she only listens to your brother."

Márafea smiled, "There are things that even you cannot teach her, Mime Melda,"

------------------------------------

"Why can I not see Nana?" cried Nínimiel.

Iorbes placed an arm around her, "Your mother is very sick, my Lady Princess, after birthing your sisters, she needs to rest and get well. You will see her as soon as she is well enough."

Legolas entered the tree nursery, looking worried. Nínimiel got up and ran to him and he picked her up. "Have you seen Nana? No one will let me see her, is she well?"

Legolas sat her down by the window. "Nana had a hard time birthing your sisters. She has lost a lot of blood. It can happen sometimes with mortal women."

"But Nana is from the land across the Western sea, she is not a mortal, uncle Radagast said so," protested Nínimiel.

Legolas paused for a moment. "your mother is special, she was born into this world as a mortal, but in truth is she is of the Maia, as is Radagast. They are beings from a place called Valinor, a place that no mortal can go to unless a special grace is given. But we Elves have been summoned there and I will one day make the journey across the Western Sea, never to return. If your mother were to die, she would return to Valinor in her true form and leave us. One day when you and your sisters are grown, she must return to Valinor and our father will go with her."

"But I am a Half-Elf does that mean I cannot go too?" asked Nínimiel.

"You and your sisters will one day have to choose to be Mortal and remain in Middle Earth or to be an Elf and leave for Valinor. You cannot remain Half-Elven forever."

"But would I ever see you all again if I stayed here?"

Legolas held Nínimiel tightly. "I do not think so Little Gem, that is why I treasure every day with you,"

"I fear the sea Legolas."

"But you have never seen the sea, Nínimiel."

"I have dreamed of it. I keep having this dream that I am standing by the sea, and when I try to enter it, the sea becomes wild and I run away, back to the safety of the forest. What does it mean?"

"That is something you should speak with your mother about," said Legolas

"When can I see Nana?"

"She is in a deep sleep so that her body can heal, you may see her when she is strong enough." He stood, "Stay here and I shall go and see Ada, find out how your mother and sisters are doing." he smiled reassuringly then left the nursery.

Thranduil exited the birthing room as Legolas arrived. "How is Nínimiel?"

"She is worried for her mother and is asking a lot of difficult questions."

"I hope you answered her gently. She is almost ten years of the sun, not much can be kept from her now."

How is Márafea, Father?"

"Still in a deep sleep. I have found wet nurses for the twins, but as Thorwen feared, they will not rest nor feed together. Fortunately, we still have your old cradle."

"She will be sad not to be able to feed her own children, how are the twins?"

Thranduil smiled, "They are strong and healthy, one is in my own image, the other with the silver hair and eyes of her mother."

"Her mother?"

Thranduil's face looked pained, "So traumatic was the birth, none of Thorwen's dark hair remains and the healers tell me she will not survive another. Our little family is complete."

"Will you wait to name them? Till Márafea wakes."

"I will give them their Father Name, but there will be no birthing feast, till Thorwen wakes and gives them their Mother name."

"What names have you decided upon, so I may give Nínimiel some good news?" asked Legolas.

"I have indeed, Princess Mellessil and Princess Mithlothiel," said Thranduil proudly.

"Golden flower and True silver flower, fine names father. When may Nínimiel and I meet our sisters?" asked Legolas.

Thranduil turned back toward the birthing room, "Not till Thorwen has laid eyes upon them."

"But surely you will go to Nínimiel. She needs the comfort of her father," called Legolas.

"Thorwen needs me, I must remain at her side. Nínimiel will understand," Thranduil called back without turning as entered the birthing chamber, closing the door behind him.

-------------------------------------

Nínimiel looked curiously into the two cradles before her. The golden haired twin wailed constantly, but the silver haired twin slept on contentedly. "Nínimiel, bring Mellessil to me," said Márafea. Carefully, Nínimiel lifted the screaming baby out of the cradle and brought the baby over to her mother's bed. On being picked up, the baby stopped crying and looked at Nínimiel with her cold blue eyes. "Ah, she is hungry. Merenthel would summon her wet nurse," said Márafea.

"Very good, my Lady Queen," said Merenthel. Márafea sang to the baby to soothe her. A song she often sang to Nínimiel when she came to her at night before she grew large with the twins. Márafea held out her free arm to Nínimiel, beckoning her to sit on the bed beside her. Nínimiel snuggled into her mother's shoulder, joining her mother in song as Márafea cradled both daughters.

"You have been a brave girl, Nínimiel, I am very proud of you. I know you have been asking a lot of questions and when I am well, I shall answer them," said Márafea.

"I have missed you, Nana," said Nínimiel. A short time later, the wet nurse arrived and the queen reluctantly handed baby Mellessil to her.

"Alas, if only my milk had not dried up when I was asleep, but that could not be helped," said Márafea.

"Ada says the birthing feast is tonight," said Nínimiel.

"Yes, I have given your father the twin's mother names, would you like me to tell you what they are?" asked Márafea.

"Oh yes, I will keep it a secret, I promise," said Nínimiel.

Márafea smiled, "well, Mellessil's Mother name is Eleniel, meaning daughter of Celestial one and Mithlothiel's Mother name is Elviel or starlike daughter. Now, do you remember your Mother name?"

"It is Artanis, meaning Noble lady."

"Yes, it was the Father name of one of the most powerful Elves on Middle Earth. I wanted to name you in her honour and she suggested it. She came to assist me when I was birthing you. Then she left for the far west with my father."

"I thought men could not go to the land across the Western Sea."

"I had two fathers in truth, Little Gem. My mortal parents died when I was very young, and so I was raised in Rivendell by Lord Elrond, who became my adopted father. So when I speak of my father going across the sea, it is Lord Elrond I speak of."

Nínimiel thought for a moment, "What happens to Men when they die?"

Márafea looked at her with sad eyes. "Men leave the world to a place no one knows. Not even my people know where they go, it is their gift. Few are given the choice to take or reject that gift, it is both a blessing and a curse. I think you and your sisters will be the last to make such a choice, but now is not the time for such talk."

Iorbes entered the queen's chamber, "My Lady Princess, your bath is being prepared. You must come and get ready for the birthing feast."

"Can't I stay a little longer?" asked Nínimiel.

"Nínimiel, your father expects you to be at the feast, and I grow weary. Go with Iorbes, I am sure you will enjoy yourself," said Márafea. As Nínimiel left the birthing chamber, she was sure she heard her mother weeping.

She went to return, but Iorbes took hold of her. "come, my Lady princess, no more dilly-dallying," she said firmly.

-----------------------------------------------------

"Hold your bow like this, you must kill it quickly and cleanly so that it does not suffer," whispered Legolas. Nínimiel followed his direction, taking a deep breath as the ageing stag limped into view. It was still a beautiful creature, but it was old and suffering. Carefully, she found her mark and loosed her arrow. Down the creature fell, it's suffering at an end. "Well done Nínimiel, there shall be venison on the menu tonight."

They both went over the where body of the animal lay, Nínimiel laid a hand upon the stag. It was still warm, but its eyes no longer carried the light of life in them. Nínimiel looked up at Legolas, "where do animals go? When they die?"

"I do not know, I like to think their spirit is reborn into a newborn animal." The scouts picked up the stag to take to the kitchens of the Elven Halls.

Suddenly Mellessil gave running out of the bushes, "what are you doing here? An arrow could have hit you," said Legolas angrily.

"When can I take my first stag?" asked Mellessil eagerly.

"When you are old enough, Nínimiel is fifteen years of the sun, you are five," said Legolas.

"I will be six at Midyear," said Mellessil.

"And that is still not old enough, go play with Mithlothiel," Legolas ordered.

"No, she is too silly. I want to go hunting, are there any Orcs still left in the forest?" asked Mellesill.

"Certainly not! And if there were, you would be kept well away from them," Legolas scolded.

Mellesill put out her bottom lip, "You are no fun," she sulked.

"And you should not be here," replied Legolas.

"Mellesill! Mellessill! where are you?" Iorbes appeared, holding Mithlothiel's hand.

"Princess Mellesill, what are you doing here? You know your brother is training your sister. It is not safe, come with me," said Iorbes.

Mellesill stamped her foot, "No, I want to see the hunting!"

"Why are you so keen to see blood spilt?" said Mithlothiel.

Mellesill sneered, "No one asked your opinion." and the twins began to squabble. Iorbes rolled her eyes and picked the twins up under each arm. "Back to the halls, you two, your nap time is well overdue." Legolas and Nínimiel burst out laughing after they had gone.

"Do you think they will ever get along?" asked Nínimiel.

"I cannot say, they have been at odds since birth, before that even," said Legolas.

A scout appeared, My Lord Prince, Lady Princess, your The King and Queen wish to speak with you both in their parlour." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.4K 418 60
Nathìniel is an elf raised in Fangorn by ents. She doesn't know her parents and when her home forest become dangerous she decides to leave. Her desti...
78.4K 2.4K 30
Violet Potter has been at war for her entire life. It all started almost 27 years ago when Voldemort killed her parents and tried to kill her brother...
67.6K 4K 111
#1 in Tolkien, #1 in Silmarillion, #1 in Lord of the Rings, #1 in Elrohir, #1 in Dunedain First in LotR series, Fëanoriel Chronicles. Written in 2012...
94.7K 4.7K 48
After the horrible incident in the fortress of Gundabad, Turwaithiel returns to Rivendell as a different person. Her night is filled with horrible dr...