Siren

Por Raven0822

*Very mature content*Altered timeline* Following a heart wrenching break up with Bucky Barnes, Juno Donahue h... Más

Siren
Post-it playlist
Feeling broken
Goodbyes
Looking back
Henri Richelieu
Drinks
Dinner with the god of Thunder
Better days
Let her go
Call my name
Care Package
Truth hurts
I need you
A little drama for effect
Fii fata mea bună
Apartment hunting
Family date night
If you love her
Moving on
Deuxième partie
A Misunderstanding
Decisions, decisions
This isn't goodbye
Dinner party gone awry
Unexpected turnaround
Wedding invitation
This isn't how it's supposed to be
Sequel update

We're done

2.2K 58 25
Por Raven0822

"This is over. We're done, I'm done." Walking over to their shared closet Juno grabbed out her go bag and the largest suitcase they had. Tossing it down on the floor she opens it up and starts ripping down as much of her clothes that will fit from the hangers and tossing them into the open suitcase with shaking hands. This had been a long time coming and yet it was devastating all the same. The distance between them over the last few months, no year, had grown so much that she knew this was the only logical conclusion to their relationship. Bucky Barnes might be the love of her life, but there was only so much a person could take before enough was enough.

Juno could hear him walk into the closet behind her. Ignoring him she kept packing. She knew if she stopped and looked at him she would give in and she couldn’t do that. Not this time. It broke her heart further to hear the pain in his voice as he hovered behind her. "Please don’t do this, Juno. I want to fix this. I know I've been hard to be around lately. But I know we can get through this."

Continuing to ignore Bucky, Juno dashes around him to scoop up two handfuls of panties and several bras and toss them in the suitcase. This was enough to get her through for a couple of weeks. Anything she couldn't grab now she could get later. Or more likely send someone else to get for her because for now she wouldn’t be able to come back here as long as he was going to be here. She just couldn't stand to be in this apartment when it didn’t feel like home anymore. Tossing a couple pairs of shoes in before sitting on the suitcase to zip it up. Grabbing the handle of both bags Juno goes to brush past Bucky, but he doesn't move out of her way. His large body blocking the doorway in a bid to get her to just stop and listen to him. "Please look at me, doll."

Eyes trained on his chest she shook her head. He was her only weakness. The only person who had ever been able to fill her up completely, healing all of the jagged cracks left behind by the damage her parents and life had given her. But it turns out in the end he had shattered her more completely than anything her family or her ex’s could have done. Steeling up her spine with as much courage as she could muster she took a deep breath. She could do this. "No, James. Get out of my way or I'll move you myself."

Juno's words were calm but harsh. They needed to be if she was going to get him to do what she was barely able to at the moment. Bucky's breath came out shakey at her use of his real name. Any other day it would have led to clothes being ripped off followed by amazing sex, but not today. Not ever again. He stepped aside, following her out of the closet and out of their bedroom to the living room. Numbness seemed to thankfully settle in as she grabbed her jacket and purse from by the front door all the while Buck hovered anxiously trying to get her to look at him, to talk to him.

Still ignoring him, Juno walked out the front door of their now formerly shared apartment at the Avengers Facility and down the winding hallways towards the elevators that would take her to Director Fury’s office. Passing a surprised Tony and Pepper who had been leaving the kitchen on the way to their apartment. Concern etched on her oldest friend’s face when he looked from her to Bucky and back again. Shaking her head to let him know she would talk to him later he nodded once and kept his mouth blessedly shut for once.

Desperate, Bucky stopped Juno from pressing the call button by speaking out of turn in front of the couple who had turned back around to leave. "I'm sorry, Jun. How many times do I have to say it? I messed up. I know that! You're just going to walk away and leave me without giving me a chance?!" His words come out half angry. Like she was the one who'd been pushing him away for the last almost year.

Leave him? Leave him. Him. He'd mentally and emotionally left her months ago and now he wanted to ‘fix things’? No. No way does he get to try and manipulate her like this in front of her best friend and his wife. Spinning around, Juno smacks his hand off her arm, something she had never done before. Never had she denied him touch. Not after everything he’d been through with Hydra, but this was a step too far. Poking him in the chest as she advanced, making him take several steps back. Raising her voice not caring that most of the team who had been in the other room had come into the kitchen area to see what all the yelling was about. Juno was done being quiet. Let everyone know exactly why she was leaving!

"No. You don't get to do that. You don't get to get mad because I finally gave up, because I stopped trying. You don't get to get mad because I stopped trying the moment when you actually wanted to try. That's not on me. I tried for years. I was there for you, I stuck by your side, I believed in you, I had hope. Even when I was treated like shit, I came back again and again and now that you know I'm gone. I'm done and I can't do it anymore. Now you want to try. It's because you know I'm serious, you know I'm not going to be by your side anymore, that's selfish and it's unfair." Turning back around, Juno firmly pressed the call button. Chest heaving with pent up anger and heartbreak she picked up her bags and stepped inside. Setting the heavier of the two down so she can press the button that'll take her to Fury's office.

"Juno, I'm sorry.." Bucky's broken voice made her hazel eyes snap up to his stormy grey blue ones. She could see he was, but it wasn’t enough anymore to be sorry. He had a chance to fix it and he’d thrown it back in her face like she hadn’t dedicated the last several years of her life to him on top of her job as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and Avenger.

"Too late, James. I'll send someone for my things in the next couple of days. Don't call me." The doors slide shut as a few traitorous tears start to fall. Letting out a deep breath Juno collapses back against the side of the elevator wall. She did it.. She was actually leaving. Raising shaky hands to brush back her long hair out of her face, Juno stood up straight. She had just one more thing to do before she went to a hotel and figured out her next steps.

The bright chime let her know that she'd arrived on the floor she was seeking. Picking up her suitcase she stepped out and determinedly walked down to Fury's office. Stopping at his assistant Sarah's desk she sets her bags down yet again. "I need to see him. It's important." Juno knows the other woman can see the defeated and haggard look on her face, but she doesn't care at the moment. She just needs this to be over once and for all.

Not understanding what was going on but knowing this was important Sarah nods and picks up the phone. A moment later she tells Juno she can go in. Leaving her bags with his assistant instead of lugging them with her again, Juno walks into Fury's office trying to keep her shit together. Closing the door behind her before walking over to stand in front of his desk at a loose attention. She clasps her trembling hands together so that he doesn’t see it.

"What's so important that this couldn't wait?" Fury asks, not looking up from reading a report on his tablet. Blowing out a breath Juno braced herself and then let it out.

"I need an immediate transfer out of New York. I'm not super picky, just anywhere away from here." Her shocking demand made his one good eye finally glance up at her giving Juno his full attention. This was clearly not what he was expecting to hear.

Setting down his tablet Fury leans forward to brace his forearms on his desk. Something was clearly up with one of his top agents because never would she ask this of him otherwise. If there was a good reason then he wouldn’t have a problem with it, but if she was using this to run away from her personal problems then he’d have to deny her request. She was just too valuable in her current posting. "And why do you need an immediate transfer?" 

Sighing, Juno tells him straight out. No point in hiding it or hedging around the subject. The gossip would eventually get back to him. "Barnes and I are through for good. I don't want to be around him anymore. I hate to leave the team, but I need to do what's best for me. I know you've been looking for top level agents to relocate. Well, here I am."

So it was personal. Not usually inclined to follow the whims of his people but Juno Donahue was different. The circumstances with her and Barnes’ relationship had been a tightrope at the beginning, however the way she’d helped him settle in and recover had even surprised him. So for her to be here right now telling him she was washing her hands of the man after all of these years Nick had to guess that whatever it was was bad. If he wanted her to stay a part of the agency and the team then he would give her some time away before recalling her. Sitting back in his chair and bringing up his steepled hands to his mouth he conceded to her request. "Fine. I need someone who can roam. Do as I need at a moment's notice."

Surprised, Juno's eyes widened for a half second before she nodded. "I can do that. I'll need some place for my stuff though." Something that was already on her mind as was where she would be sleeping tonight. She knew Tony would set her up if she asked, but they both knew she was too stubborn.

As if reading her mind Fury solves her internal dilemma. "For now you can have Rogers' old apartment. You remember where it is?" Juno nods as she’d been the one to watch over him when he first came back from The Retreat.

"Good. Have Sarah get you the keys. I'm assuming you'll need your things packed for you?" Again, Juno nods. "I'll get some people on it. Your things will be in the apartment by the end of the day. Do you need a couple of days or are you available now?" He asked.

Surprised again this time by this rare moment of kindness, Juno purses her lips as she tries to keep from breaking down. "I should probably take a day or two. Clear my head, then I'm all yours. What's the mission?" Standing straighter Juno appreciated that he was giving her something else to focus on other than Bucky at the moment.

Sliding the tablet over he lets Juno glance through the file he was going over when she walked in. It was a deep undercover mission. Get close to this french guy, Henri Richelieu. Pump him for information and report it back to Fury. Handing him back the tablet she asked, "Okay, so what's my cover?"

"There isn't one." Raising an eyebrow at him, she waits for him to continue. "I'll have Stark put it out to the press that you've officially retired not only from the Avengers but from S.H.I.E.L.D. as well. Due to personal reasons you've decided you're done with the hero life. You will need money, the kind that comes from your background. So sorry for your loss, but an aunt you weren't particularly close to has passed away and has left you the bulk of their fortune." Juno's other eyebrow raised up as he kept talking. What was he on about? "Richelieu is a bit of a snob. He appreciates beautiful women, but prefers them to have money of their own so they don't drain his bank accounts."

"Sensible."

Fury continues as if she hadn't said anything. "He will be cautious of you at first. I don't want you to hide why you left. The only lie is that you don't work for me anymore. You'll be set up with an apartment in his building. I want you as close to him as possible to get personal and business intel. Now I want to make it clear, I don't care how you get your information. Powers or not it’s up to you. Do what you need to. Just don't get caught. If you need anything you know the channels to get me a message." Strange, however she had a feeling this was to give her time to settle back into her old line of assignments for which she was grateful.

"Got it, boss. Anything else I need to know?"

"I'll send the file over with your things. Study it, leave it in the apartment and I'll have it taken when you leave. Unsure how long this will take depending on your call once you get to know the man. I need to know everything he does about Crimson Sparrow. Everything." He emphasizes the last, the meaning clear. Nodding, Juno heads for the door knowing when she’s been dismissed.

Stopping halfway across the room, Juno half turns back to look at Fury. "Thanks for not giving me shit about this whole thing." She points up to the team's floor meaning her breakup with Bucky and the ensuing drama she was leaving behind.

He waves her away. "Don't mention it. Now go, I've got a call to make." Picking up his phone he presses a button. As she opens the door she hears him say, "Stark, need you to call a press conference. Donahue is done. She turned in her resignation effective immediately."

Not sticking around to hear any more she closes the door and heads for Sarah. "I need the keys for Rogers' old apartment and arrangements to have my things removed from mine and Bucky's apartment. If you talk to Natasha she can help make sure nothing of mine is left behind." Having seen and heard god knows what from people or Fury himself, Sarah doesn't bat an eye as she nods and makes a call. Dragging her bags over to the waiting area, Juno sits down to wait for the keys. Five minutes later she hears the raised voices of Tony and Steve coming this way.

"I don't care why she dumped him, Rogers. I just don't understand why she is quitting altogether."

"Maybe Juno needs to take some time away. Clear her head and then she'll come back once things have settled."

Panicked Juno stands up grabbing her bags she bolts into the office next to Fury's. Shooting off a text to the man that they were headed this way and to let Sarah know where she was hiding out. Ear pressed to the door she jumps when she hears the voice of the person who occupies this office speaking from behind her. "Well, hello there. Anything I can help you with?"

Turning around she sees an amused Maria Hill seated at her desk. Shaking her head, Juno brings her finger to her lips silently asking her to be quiet. With Steve's advanced hearing he would pick up her voice and she didn't want to get into it with him about his best friend right now. Once they hear the door to Fury's office slam closed Juno lets out the breath she was holding.

Coming over to sit in one of the two chairs in front of Maria’s desk, Juno gives her a brief explanation of what was going on. "I'm avoiding Rogers and Stark. I should be out of your way in a few minutes." Maria isn't even phased anymore by the dramatics from the team. She just motions for her to get comfortable and goes back to typing whatever it was she was working on before Juno busted in here. A second later they could hear a raised voice from next door.

"And you didn't even try to stop her? Maybe convince her to stay! We need her, we're the only family she has. Where is she going to go?" That would be Tony. She couldn't hear what else was being said but she could just barely hear the muffled conversation.

She felt bad that she hadn't talked to any of the team, but the fight with Bucky had just happened. There was no way she would have known that it was the fight. With this new assignment though Fury had made it clear that he was the only one who was to know that she was still a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent. As far as the team and the rest of the world knew, Juno Donahue had just quit the Avenger's and was no longer affiliated with S.H.I.E.L.D. or the team. However he didn't say she couldn't be in contact with them. Settling back in the chair she made a mental note to reach out to them once she had gotten to her new accommodations.

A knock on the door had Juno's eyes widening and standing up prepared to deal with her best friend and the best friend of her ex. Thankfully it was just Sarah. She held out the keys and a thick packet for Juno to take. "If you leave now and take the stairs one floor down you can avoid them. There's a car waiting for you."

Giving her and Maria a thankful smile, Juno hoisted up her bags yet again and made her hasty exit. Making it to the stairs unseen, and unheard, she walked as quickly as she could to the next floor. Taking the elevator back up to the main floor she peeked her head out to make sure the coast was clear. Seeing no one of importance she made her way across the lobby and out the door. Just as she made it to the waiting car she heard her name being called.

"Juno, wait!"

Well shit. Handing her bags to the driver she turns around with a forced smile on her face. "Hey, Tony."

Taking her hand in his, he pulls her into a brief hug. Making sure to keep her hand in his so she wouldn’t bolt on him. "Kid, where are you going? Why did you quit? Think this through. I can get you set up back at the Tower. You don't have to see him if that's what you want. I'll make sure of it." The desperation in his face and voice hits her square in the chest because she knew he didn’t do well with sudden and abrupt change.

"I can’t stay at the Tower since I no longer work for S.H.I.E.LD.. I’m going to the city for now and you know why. Everyone heard us, Tony. Me and Buck are over. This is over." Juno nods at the building behind him as she takes a step closer to the waiting car. Tony's grip tightens on her hand, unable to let her leave until he understands what was going on.

"We can understand if you need a break and some space from Barnes but to just quit? This isn't like you." This was true. Never would she just up and leave without talking to him first. This wasn’t something that she would ever do. But this was all a part of her cover and it killed her that she wasn’t able to tell him the truth of it because they didn’t keep secrets from one another.

Taking a deep breath Juno prepared to lie to him for the first time. "I can't do this anymore. Any of it. Bucky was just part of it. I need space from everyone because if I don't I know you'll convince me to stay and this isn't what I need right now." Okay so maybe it wasn’t a complete lie because she knew that’s just what he would do. Convince her to stay so they could talk and then she’d give in like she always did. But for once this was something she needed to do for herself. As much as she loved him and the others she just couldn’t stay.

The expression of finality on her face has Tony letting go of her hand as hurt flashes through his coffee colored eyes. Heart squeezing in her chest so hard it steals her breath for a moment Tony takes it to try to get her to talk to him. "This is me Juno, come on. Where are you going to go?"

"I'm taking Rogers' old apartment in Brooklyn for now until I can find a place. I have plenty of money saved and Fury was kind enough to make sure I get my severance package even though I quit. Plus I came into some money recently from some dead relative so I'll be set for a while." Speechless he stares at her when he realizes that she really was leaving. With a quick hug and kiss to his bearded cheek she walked away. Opening the door of the car she got in and closed the door. Rolling down the window she told him, "Before I do anything else I promise to call you. Bye, Tony."

With a nod to the driver to go, Juno looks over at Tony one more time. As the car pulls away the doors to the Compound crash open causing her heart to beat way too fast. Bucky comes tearing down the driveway shouting her name, yelling for the driver to stop. Rolling the darkened window back up she tells the driver to hurry. "He's superhuman fast so I suggest you step on it." The driver takes her at her word and speeds down the long driveway leaving him and the only real family she’s ever had behind.

The drive into the city is long, but Juno doesn't mind needing this time to come to grips with her decisions. She watches the passing scenery with lifeless eyes. If she had any tears left they'd be falling down her face right now, but she's cried enough over James Barnes. No more.

When she woke up this morning this was not how she had thought her day was going to go. At most she thought they would have another passive aggressive fight about something stupid or as he was want to do lately just shut her out. Instead, Bucky had gotten mad at her for making an appointment with the team's therapist for the both of them as a sort of couples counseling. He refused to go. Saying he had to see Dr Kent once a week as it was a part of the conditions of his pardon and that he didn't need to go for something that didn't even matter right now because they were fine.

It was at that moment Juno's heart had completely shattered. They weren't fine. They were broken and her hope had been that if they spoke with Dr Kent then they could work through their problems so they could move forward. Forward to the future that up until recently they’d been on the same page about. When he dismissively said that to her so casually Juno had snapped. They had been a couple for almost four years and friends for five. In those five years since Steve brought Bucky to the Compound she had stuck by him. First as a friend and then a year later as his girlfriend. She had loved and supported him through everything. All of the nightmares, PTSD and the mood swings. Hell, Juno had defended Bucky publicly when the media had called him a dangerous killer who'd murder you as soon as look at you.

She had staunchly defended him again when the government was being swayed by the public's opinion and tried to hold him accountable for Hydra's actions they’d made him do. With help from Steve, Tony and the rest of the team along with Tony's whole legal team she had made the government stick to the original terms of Bucky's pardon. That included any and all crimes Hydra had forced him to commit seeing as he had been brainwashed and nowhere near being in his right mind. The Geneva Convention had been put into place for a reason and they didn’t get to just decide to pick and choose who was protected by it.

In the end it had been like it was all for nothing. That she meant nothing to him. This assignment was just what she needed to get away from him and start fresh. It was going to hurt like a son of bitch because Juno still loved Bucky with all of her heart, but that clearly didn't mean anything to the person who had stopped loving her back a long time ago.

Only ten minutes into the journey to the city Juno's phone started to ring. Pulling it out of her back pocket she checked to see who it was and closed her eyes with a staggered sigh.

Bucky.

Tapping the decline button she let it go to voicemail. She was going to need to get a new phone. Sending off a text message to Fury that was something else she would need she set her phone to silent and put it back in her pocket. The only reason she wasn’t chucking it out the window was because of the other people who she needed to stay in contact with. Not to mention the priceless pictures saved on her phone that she’d yet saved to the cloud.

An hour later she was walking into her temporary apartment. It was sparsely furnished being used as temporary lodgings for agents passing through, but that was fine. She'd only be here for a few days, a week at the most and then she'd be in London. Setting her bags down in her room, Juno brought the packet Sarah had given her with her to the living room. Staring at it she felt numb. Her and Bucky were truly over. Juno could feel the tears building in her eyes, but she refused to let them out. Taking a shaky breath she picked up the packet and just as she was about to open it a knock sounded at her door.

No one had lived here for a while and no one knew she would be here so who would have a reason to be knocking on an empty apartment door? Pulling the knife she kept hidden in her boot Juno stood up and quietly made her way to the door readying to peek through the peep hole when a familiar voice called out to her.

"I can hear you moving in there, Jun. Open the door please."

Steve.. how? Tony. Of course he couldn't keep his mouth shut. Sheathing the knife back into her boot, Juno walked normally over to the door. Pausing when she realized she was still holding the packet on Richelieu. Shit. Putting it in the drawer of the table by the front door she unlocked and opened it up staring up at her ‘former’ captain.

"What are you doing here, Rogers?"

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

100 16 16
Caroline Fury has had a rough go at life but everything changes when she becomes the newest avenger. This is a Marvel fanfiction/ romance short story...
4.6K 184 40
When you lost your brother, you lost everything. After seventy years of cyrostasis, you wake up in a strange new world with your brothers best frien...
583K 19K 36
Peter never grew up with Uncle Ben and Aunt May. He grew up with HYDRA, trained and brainwashed to be even better then the Winter Soldier. He spends...
82.9K 2.2K 13
𝗦𝗜𝗦𝗧𝗘𝗥𝗦 | "ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ (ʏ/ɴ) ᴢᴏʟᴏʜᴏᴠ ʀᴇᴜɴɪᴛᴇs ᴡɪᴛʜ ʜᴇʀ sɪsᴛᴇʀs." ⧗ вσσк σηє σƒ тнє zσℓσнσν ѕєяιєѕ "𝙢𝙮 𝙥𝙡𝙖𝙣 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙩𝙤 𝙙𝙧𝙞𝙫𝙚 𝙪𝙨 𝙖�...