The Box

Per einsy1c

A random act of kindness can make a difference is someone else's life... Més

intro
1. ballpen
2. snacks
3. party
5. coffee
6. pouch
7. Siegfried and Athena
8. workspaces
9. shoebox
10. birthday
11. Saturday
12. diary
13. trust
14. acquaint
15. adoption
16. beach
17. weekend
18. pasalubong
19. Sagada
20. wealth
21. allowance
22. surprises
23. new life
24. Pinoy in Canada
25. reconnecting
26. cuddle
27. emergency
28. clothesline
29. parents
30. charity
31. vows
32. extraordinary
33. concern
34. arrival
35. bottle
36. additions
37. gifts
38. memories
39. homecoming
40. blessings
41. tissues
42. day off
43. stress
44. treasure
45. box

4. wheelchair

129 18 4
Per einsy1c

The visit to the orphanage brought back good memories to Chuck. Growing up, Nana Linda took him to many of her church activities. He joined the younger children at Sunday school while the adults attended mass. When he was a little older, he became an altar boy. Later on, he would sometimes be called to be a lector. On weekends, he volunteered in many of the church's activities and events.

---

Maia could not get her mind off Gelo's 'missing' wheelchair. She was so used to see him being pushed around the orphanage grounds in an old adult-sized wheelchair. She remembered the weekend when Gelo was dropped off at the orphanage. He was rather tiny in his over-sized clothes but had a big personality. According to his records, Gelo lost his family in a vehicular accident when the bus they were riding on fell over a ravine. Gelo was the only child to survive along with 3 other adults. His leg was crushed under some of the other passengers' belonging.

---

Aside from the pretty volunteer at the party, Chuck remembered seeing one little boy sitting on the chairs. He and Sam distributed name stickers to the kids. One girl, Ginalyn, approached Sam and asked for a sticker for "Gelo". She then went to the boy who smiled widely as she affixed it on his shirt. "Thank you po!" Gelo said. Later on, Chuck noticed that some of the other kids would approach Gelo and share with him their candy or show him their prizes. During a pabitin game, Ginalyn carried Gelo on her back so he could participate. He was able to grab one of the toys that was hanging and the other kids cheered him on loudly.

"La?"

"Yes?"

"I'd like to help out at the orphanage, if that's okay with you. I noticed that there are still repairs needed to be done in that room where we had the party."

"Volunteers are always welcome" Mother Carmela said. "Baka naman mahirapan ka kung naka-Spiderman costume ka" she teased.

"Laaaa" Chuck groaned.

"Kidding aside. You can drop by here in the afternoon or on Saturdays. We always need people to help the kids with their school work aside from some maintenance work"

"Cool! I'll fix my schedule so that I can come at least twice or three times a week – 2 days to tutor, and 1 day to help out"

"O sige, I'll send you the details. You have Sister Berna's number, right? She's the one in-charge..."

"Ah. Yes, I'll call her later. One more thing, does Gelo need a wheelchair?"

"Gelo? Ah, yung batang naka-red nung party?"

"Yes, the one sitting on the chair beside the table of gifts"

"Ah, oo. Actually, meron syang wheelchair na ginagamit dati but we had to give it to back to the person who lent it to us"

"Oh, okay. So he doesn't have one anymore?"

"Wala na"

Chuck and Mother Carmela talked a little more about Gelo. When they ended their call, Chuck called Sister Berna and talked about his planned volunteer work.

---

"Naku Miss, sorry. Nabili na po yung pinakahuling pediatric wheelchair namin kani-kanina lang. Kung gusto nyo, isulat nyo yung pangalan at contact number nyo sa logbook namin tapos tatawagan ko kayo pag may bagong stock." The salesperson told Maia when she inquired about a wheelchair at the medical supply store she visited.

Chuck had just parked his car when he saw her come out of the store. She put on her shades, walked past him and rode the jeep that stopped behind his car.

"...kayo po yung nag-order nung pediatric wheelchair?"

"Ah, oo." Chuck replied and gave his credit card. "Miss?"

"Po?" the salesperson had Chuck sign the tape receipt.

"Yung girl na nandito kanina lang. Yung naka-jeans at yellow na blouse, anong binili nya?"

"Si Miss Athena po? Wala. Gusto daw nya sana nung wheelchair kaso last piece na po yung order nyo"

"Athena?"

"Opo. Athena Mendoza" the salesperson said.

---

Maia was not able to immediately return to the orphanage. She was surprised when she saw Gelo sitting in a vaguely familiar wheelchair while playing with the other kids in the playground.

"Ate Meng!" Annie, one of the smaller girls, ran after the ball that rolled toward the gate. Maia picked up the ball but was 'attacked' and 'swarmed' by the kids even before she could give the ball back to Annie.

"Na-miss ko kayo! May wheelchair na ulit si Gelo?"

"Opo. Binigay po ni Spiderman"

"Spiderman?"

"Yung Spiderman na pumunta dito nung may party dati. Yung kasama ni Kuya Sam na may maraming lobo" Kiko said.

"Wow!" Maia exclaimed.

"...tapos, may bago ding tutor sina Benok..."

"Tutor?"

"Oo, si Kuya Chuck. Pumupunta sya dito sa hapon para i-tutor kami..." Benok said.

"Hmm...ano pa?"

The other children updated Maia with their other activities while she sat with them in the playground. After about an hour of more play, the bell sounded for the Angelus. Maia gathered the children and helped Gelo into the room where they said their evening prayers. She then helped them wash up for dinner then get ready for bed.

---

"Ate Meng..." Gelo said when Maia tucked him in bed.

"Ang bait ni Spiderman"

Maia nodded. "...sya daw nagbigay nung wheelchair mo?"

"Opo. Yun po ang sabi ni Sister Berna. Di nga ako nakapag-thank you sa kanya e"

"Ah"

"Pero ginawan ko sya ng card. Ibibigay nalang daw po ni Sister sa kanya"

Maia nodded and kissed Gelo. "Goodnight"

"Goodnight, Ate." Gelo said and closed his eyes.

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

240 4 20
Not always heroes do good deeds.... Or do they?
1.6K 212 18
Life was not how they imagined it. But if one door closes, another will open and you can find unexpected things... or people behind that door.
1.3K 58 58
A series of random things either give to me or thought of by me to write in this little book.
199K 3.8K 42
ON HIATUS When a simple act of kindness can change a girls life. Paige was just enjoying her life with her friends when she gives up her seat to hel...