The Maddest Obsession

By __anvesha

"He'd burn the whole world down till he could dig me out of the ashes." I was ready to start a new life. Afte... More

ENCOUNTER
UH-OH
PLANS?
HIM
PLAN ONE
IS HE REAL?
TALES
PLAN TWO
GESTURES
MADDEST OBSESSION
BETTER
DISTRAUGHT
FORGIVENESS
A WAY OUT?
AT ANY COST
DISORDERED
SEA OF UNCERTAINTY
PLAN THREE
TRIP
ALL OF IT?
BLURRED LINES
HURTS SO GOOD
OUT OF MY HEAD
THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA
INSANITY
NIGHT CHANGES
THE KNIGHT
AFTER ALL, THE HERO WINS
AFTER ALL, THE VILLAIN FALLS
EPILOGUE
AUTHORS' NOTE

QUESTIONS

16.9K 447 75
By __anvesha

*Above is Stella Johnson.*

CHAPTER-2
QUESTIONS

Mom took the news of my engagement way better than I thought. She wasn't mad per se, but she was still not happy that I had told my friends about it before her. Typical mom stuff.

Anyways, I was still on high after my engagement when Liam asked when I wanted a wedding.

Like an actual wedding.

And I kinda freaked out.

I mean, it's not like I didn't want a wedding, it was more like that weren't we too...fast in this? We could wait for a little bit? We were still coping up with our jobs and he wanted to get married and have babies.

One thing I knew. I didn't want to be a mother at twenty-four. I was not ready for that responsibility yet.

With that thought in my mind, I walked in my gallery the next day when Camille came rushing to me.

"Do you know who bought that weird painting?" She asked, a little panicked.

"Yes. A man came last night when I was about to close and bought it."

She sighed, "Thank God. I thought someone stole it. I was so freaked out when I didn't see it this morning."

I smiled but then she scrunched her nose. "Who was stupid enough to buy that weird painting?"

I snorted. "A millionaire hotshot. He came and said he'd buy our most expensive work. He didn't even look at it before he handed me his card."

She wiggled her brows. "Do you have a name? Was he hot?"

I rolled my eyes. "Christian Pierce. He told me he invests in stock marketing. And..." God I really shouldn't say this, "yeah, he was hot."

She let out a low whistle. "A sexy millionaire. I have to see him. Did you get his number?"

"No."

Even if I did, I wouldn't have given it to her. I didn't know why but I didn't like the idea of Camille being with Christian. I mean she was hot. With big amber eyes and dark locks, she looked like a model and no man had ever said no to her, and Christian wouldn't either, she'd have swepted him right off the feet.

She made a face. "Do you think maybe he's famous enough that I could find him on Google?"

"I...don't know." I shrugged.

Without wasting a minute, she quickly took out her phone to Google him obviously. I didn't know why but I stood there as her eyes widened while she stared at the screen.

"Is that him?" She turned her screen for me to watch. And obviously it was him. Again, all black. He was staring down as he adjusted his cuff, mostly his side profile visible.

"Yes," I told her.

She brought her phone back to her eyes. "He's hot. And he only has a single photograph of him on the web. So I can guess he's pretty famous."

Okay, I needed to get out of here.

"Do you think he'd go out with me?"

I shrugged. "You'd have to ask him." And before she could say anything else, I said, "I have work. Talk to you later."

And then I wandered off to my desk.

I shouldn't be feeling what I was feeling because Camille wanted to date Christian, but I was anyway. I was engaged, for God's sake. I shouldn't be thinking about some other man like this.

And we had only met once.

I shook my head and got to work. Christian Pierce was not going to ruin my thoughts.

The day was busy. People mostly came in the morning so I was busy for the first three hours. I was explaining a photograph to an old woman when my phone buzzed.

An incoming call from an unknown number.

I excused myself and chose a secluded corner.

"Hello?"

"Miss Johnson. Christian Pierce, here," came a heavy voice from the other side.

I almost sucked in a breath at his voice. "Christian."

"You remember me, I hope so?" He asked. "Of course, I do." How could I even forget him when Camille couldn't keep her mouth shut about him.

"How did you get my number?" I asked.

"It was on your website."

Ah, shit. Right.

"Yes, sorry. Is there anything I can help you with? Are you not happy with the artwork?"

"No, it is fine. I've already hung it in my study. But there is something you can help me with." He said. I gulped, "What?"

"You do portraiture, am I correct?" He asked.

"Yes."

"So, I was hoping you could do a shoot of mine. I'd like if you could make time for me."

Oh, no, no, no. I was not going to do a photoshoot of him. Even though my first thought was to capture him indeed, and I had butterflies in my stomach when he asked me to do a photoshoot of him, I couldn't. I was already having these weird feelings and I didn't know why, but I was pretty sure the man last night who was watching me from the dark was him. His eyes were blue and I did catch a glance of him.

"I'm sorry, Christian. But I am busy these days. If you want, I'd sent my colleague Jase for the shoot. He's a portrait photographer as well, and a very good one I might add."

He was silent for a moment and I was pretty sure he'd say no and hang up when he said, "I'd pay double of what you charge. But I want you to do my shoot, Stella." He whispered.

Oh, shit. He was using that tone again with which he asked last night if I liked that painting or not.

It's a bad idea, a tempting one, but a bad one as well.

"Christian, I-"

"I'm just asking for half an hour of your time, Stella. Can you give me that much?" He asked.

Don't say yes, bitch. Don't. Tell him that you'd send Jace. Don't go.

"Okay, fine. When do you want to arrange the shoot?"

I could hear his smile. "Perfect. Before we set a date, I'd like to meet you to discuss some...terms for the shoot."

Terms?

"Like what?" I asked, at a loss.

"I'd tell you if you'd see me." He said.

I sighed, "Okay, when?" I asked. "Tonight. After you close?" He asked. I rubbed my temple. Why are you doing this, Stella? He's handsome but you have a freaking fiancé. You shouldn't be attracted to him.

Besides, I already had plans with Liam tonight.

"Can we meet over lunch?"

"No." He replied so fast and I was sure he sounded offended. I pressed my lips, "I'm busy tonight, Christian. Can we see each other tomorrow, then?"

"No." This time he sounded angry. "I'd like to see you today."

I sighed, "Well, I just told you I'm busy tonight but I can meet you over lunch."

He was silent. Okay, if he wasn't ready to cooperate, I wasn't either. I was not going to cancel on Liam because of him.

"Okay, then, Christian, I guess we don't have-"

"Tell me when to pick you up." He cut me off again.

I licked my dry lips. "Tell me where do you want to meet and I'll be there."

He almost sounded irritated when he said, "Just tell me when and I'll pick you up, Stella."

I tried not to sound irritated as well. "Fine. Two o'clock."

"Okay, see you then."

And the line went dead.

Phew. What had I done?

*****

A gray Mercedes was waiting for me at two o'clock sharp. A man in his late forties probably was waiting as well with a smile plastered on his face.

He stepped upto me. "Miss Johnson?"

"That'd be me."

He smile stretched. "I'm Arnold. Mr. Pierce is waiting for you."

I nodded. "Hello, Arnold."

He greeted me with a nod as well and opened the back door for me.

I slid in and Arnold opened the driver's door for himself.

"Stella."

I nearly jumped on my spot at the voice. Since the glass was tinted, I hadn't seen him inside. I didn't even feel him until he spoke. But there he was in the corner, all brooding and stretched out on the seat, one hand on his thigh, other rested on his jaw as he stared at me with penetrating blue gaze.

And all black. Again.

"Christian. You scared me."

"My apologies." He grumbled.

The car started and Christian pulled up the partition. And then he stretched back in the seat, watching me like he had all the time in the world to do so.

I tried not to fidget under his gaze. "Are we going to grab lunch?"

"No."

"Okay, then. Where are we going to talk?" I asked.

"We are going nowhere. We're going to talk right here. Arnold has his instructions to drive around until I say otherwise." He told me, all grumpy.

He wanted to talk in the car? Like seriously?

"If we weren't going anywhere then you could've had this talk back at the gallery." I arched my brow.

He pressed his lips. "I prefer privacy, Stella. And I told you, you could join me for dinner but you had plans." And he didn't sound happy.

I shook my head. "Forget it. What are your terms?"

He shifted and leaned forward and instinctively I leaned back but there wasn't much space to move away. I caught a whiff of his scent. Sandalwood and mint, I guess?

I watched his Adam's apple move as he swallowed. His face was nothing but a system of angles and sharp, defined lines. His eyes somehow glowed in the darkness inside the vehicle and I tried not to be intimated by them because they were so cold which almost made him seem angry but he had a poker face which was so contrary to his eyes.

"Like I said," he started speaking like he was using his voice after a long time, "I prefer privacy, so I'd set a location and I'd arrange for you to be there. But I want you to be confidential about it. I don't want anyone to know about our shoot."

I stared at him. "Why?"

He pressed his lips, "Because I don't want anyone to know."

That man was...authorative. And intimidating. And stubborn.

"Okay, fine." I said.

But he didn't seem happy. "When I say I don't want anyone to know, that means I don't want anyone to have that information. Not even your..." He glanced down at my lap. I did too and watched him watching my ring.

I subconsciously ran a finger through my ring. "I won't tell Liam. Fine."

He nodded. He was the same as he was last night, only that dimpled smile was missing.

"Then we have a deal. I'll send for you at four o'clock two days from now. Your payment will be done on the spot." He leaned back and tapped a finger on his lips as watched me again.

I blinked. "That's it?"

He nodded. "Yes."

He really had asked to meet me to say only that? He did realize that he could've told me this over phone. This man...I shook my head. There was no way of saying this to him. He'd probably say in that broody voice of his, Because I wanted to.

"Fine."

He watched me for a moment and when he didn't say anything, I fidget on my place. "Can I go now?"

His lips pressed harder like he was displeased by the thought but nevertheless he pressed a button and spoke in a loud and clear voice, "Back to the gallery, Arnold."

The car took a U-turn and we settled in a silence. It wasn't awkward but I was still aware of Christian's gaze and the tingles it brought in my body. What the hell was I doing, I had no idea. And what the hell was he doing with watching me with his half-lidded eyes.

"Do I make you nervous, Stella?" He asked suddenly.

I whipped my head to him. "What? No."

He glanced down at my lap. "You're clutching your dress so hard that your knuckles are white."

I looked down too to find that I was indeed holding my dress in a death grip.

I let go immediately and looked up back at him. "You don't make me nervous."

"Hmm."

That was the only conversation we had as we finally stopped at my gallery. I quickly went for the door but Arnold beat me to it.

"Until we meet again." Christian held out his hand. I took it and gave a single shake before letting go reluctantly. "I'll see you in two days."

With a nod, I scrambled out of his car and with a wave Arnold drove away.

And I stood there watching the car disappear into the traffic thinking what was it about Christian Pierce that didn't set right.

*********

Comment/vote/share/follow.
Find out our mistakes too!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

414K 7.8K 44
***Completed*** *Mature Content Warning* TW: Car accident, Depression, sexual content His touch made me shiver as I couldn't take my eyes off of his...
1.3M 45K 56
"We shouldn't look for love stories where there are none to be found. And mine, indeed, wasn't a fairytale." While working for Archer Marketing, my l...
398K 9.8K 51
[COMPLETED] #Ranks : #14 on 30/11/18 (category : Ex) #17 on 29/6/19 ( category : adultromance) #57 on 29/6/19 ( category: Suspense) Excerpt : "I can...
838K 30K 56
#1 in hatelove - 12/08/2022 #1 in business - 25/02/2023 #1 in forcedmarriage - 20/07/2022 #1 in businessman -18/07/2022 #1 in arrogant - 23/07/2022 #...