An Unexpected Romance

By WWoodford

Chikako must submit to an arranged marriage with the much older and irritable Tobirama, what will come of it... More

Credits and Disclaimers
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42

Chapter 3

2.5K 78 0
By WWoodford

Patience had been drilled into Chikako from an early age.

She tapped her toes to the song playing in her head while listening for Takao's footsteps outside her room. There were important guests visiting and her father had summoned her to dinner with them tonight. She was loathe to spend an evening listening to war stories and politics, but the Senju she'd met this morning at the waterfall had seemed nice enough, if a little old. He at least wasn't stodgy and superior with her like some of the other clan leaders father had introduced her to.

She wandered past her mirror readjusting her outfit to be sure father could find no fault with it and smoothed the fresh braid Rie had helped her with. The older woman had woven tiny white flowers into it that contrasted perfectly against the purples in her outfit.

Despite her preparation, her heart skipped at the knock on her door. Takao would escort her to dinner and then home again. He had been her constant companion since she'd left school, just five years ago. If she went somewhere, he went with her. Not as a friend, though she loved him dearly, but as her guard. It was her father's way of being sure she wasn't spoiled as he put it.

She slid the door open, surprised to see sadness in Takao's smile tonight.

"Is something wrong? Are Ai and the children alright?" She searched his face for answers.

Takao wiped a calloused hand down his face with a deep breath. "I'm just tired. Nothing for you to worry about."

His reassurance looked forced, but Chikako let it go, there were more important questions to ask. Such as what did he know about the Senju visiting.

Will my mother be attending?" Her heart crashed as he shook his head no. It was rare for Chikako to attend a formal dinner her mother wasn't at, what could father have in mind? Before she could ask Takao more questions he was sliding the door to the dinning room open and stepping aside so she could go in.

Chikako's heart pounded in her chest. She felt lightheaded, grabbing onto Takao's arm to steady herself before entering the room. The sense that tonight was going to change everything filled her with dread. She didn't know why the thought had crossed her mind, but, now that it had, it wouldn't leave.

She bowed her head and approached her father. "Good evening Father. Thank you for the invitation to join your meal."

"Good evening Chikako. Please greet our guest, Tobirama Senju of the newly formed Village Hidden in the Leaf, Konagakure."

Chikako bowed her head towards Tobirama, surprised he was their only guest. Her arms prickled with the same foreboding she'd had entering the room. "Good evening Senju-sama. Thank you for joining us for our meal tonight."

"Good evening Chikako. I'm glad to be here."

The formalities were over, but Chikako hadn't missed her father's sharp intake of breath at the informal greeting Tobirama had used. It endeared him to her. He might be old, but he wasn't backwards.

"Father, may I serve tea?"

"That would be lovely Chikako-chan."

She busied herself with serving, listening to them speak as she performed steps she'd practiced until she could have done them in her sleep.

"Senju-sama, this is my daughter, my one true treasure. Isn't she beautiful?"

"She is indeed a beautiful treasure, Hata-sama. You are a lucky father."

Though not lucky enough to have a son. The ugly thought froze in Chikako's mind, refusing to leave. Her cheeks heated at Tobirama's praise though and she studied him from the corner of her eye.

He was a large man, taller than even Takao who was half a head taller than her. He looked strong, intimidating in his armor. His eyes were crimson and didn't seem to miss a thing in the room as he shared his attention between her and father. His white hair was held back by a face guard trimmed with white fur.

He wasn't wrinkled with his age, but if his hair was anything to go by he was likely older than father. His eyes twinkled as he caught her watching him and she refocused her gaze on the tea in front of her, hoping father hadn't noticed her staring as well.

When she'd poured the tea she settled into her seat and sat quietly as their meal was served, one tedious course at a time. Her heart rejoiced when the orange slices were set out. One more tea serving and she might be released. If she had to listen to one more battle story or political theory she might die from boredom. To her surprise her father brushed off her offer of more tea, signaling the servant to bring sake instead and addressed her when it had been placed in front of him.

"Chikako-chan, what do you think of our guest?"

"He seems very nice father." Chikako measured her words carefully. "You are a warrior, not just a leader, Senju-sama?"

Tobirama smiled tightly, though she suspected it was from boredom and not her question. "I am."

She took the opportunity to study him again. He seemed friendly, but reserved, almost as if he'd been told he had to do something that he wasn't going to enjoy. His simple reply spoke volumes about the kind of man he was, confident, capable, and either humble enough he didn't need to sing his own praises, or well known enough it wasn't necessary.

Her father speaking brought her attention back to the table.

"And you, Senju-sama. What do you think of my proposal. Will it form an acceptable alliance to ensure the peace between our villages?"

Tobirama sipped his sake and regarded her in a calculating way that made a shiver creep up her back. His eyes narrowed ever so slightly. She saw a hint of sorrow pass through them before he looked back to her father.

"It's acceptable to me. Peace is always a better choice when it's possible."

Chikako looked between the men. Why was she here for a peace negotiation she knew nothing about? Tobirama looked detached and sad. Her father, by contrast, looked as if he'd just won a big New Years prize.

"Father?" She hesitated to speak but curiosity was getting the better of her.

"Yes Chikako?"

"May I ask what alliance you are speaking of?"

Chikako noted Tobirama's barely audible growl but kept her attention on her father.

"Certainly, my child. Did you miss the discussion? So like a young woman to be gathering wool. It is the alliance of family."

Chikako's arms prickled with another rush of foreboding as she waited for her father to explain.

"You are the alliance between the Hata and Senju Clans. You will will return to Konoha as Senju-sama's wife joining our clans for eternity."

Chikako pasted a smile on her face that she hoped was believable and met each man's eyes. Her heart thumped in her chest and her dinner hardened to a brick that her stomach threatened to send back to the plate it had come from. She had always known her marriage would be political and not for love. She had expected to be told in private and given time to adjust to the idea. And she'd never expected her father would marry her off to a man twice her age, or more.

Across the table Tobirama caught her gaze, his eyebrows drawn together. He tilted his head just enough for her to know he was asking her if she was okay.

She wasn't okay. She was dying on the inside. But this was her role. The role she'd been trained for since she was old enough to understand it. Not only could she not back down from it simply because the man her father had chosen frightened her, she wouldn't back down from it and shame her clan.

She inclined her head, hoping the tears welling in the corners of her eyes weren't obvious and murmured, "Thank you for the opportunity to serve my clan."

"You're welcome, Chikako. Thank you for serving the clan with honor."

Chikako kept her head down as much as propriety allowed and nodded her acceptance of his thanks.

"If you're done with your dinner, Chikako, you may go now. Tobirama and I have much to discuss."

"Thank you father." She stood and bowed to him and then faced Tobirama. "Thank you Senju-sama."

When they'd echoed her farewell she turned on her heel and fled to the door, hoping neither man noticed how quickly she left them. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

162K 2.6K 15
Sasuke has been brought back and Orochimaru is dead. Naruto is broken, yet perseveres. Arranged marriages. Will Naruto find happiness or will he wall...
24.2K 644 12
She knew she was going to die, that it was hopeless. She knew that he had moved on, completely forgotten her. She knew more than anything that he lef...
687 12 1
In which Madara Uchiha loses all his supposed cool, Tobirama Senju is a useless gay in love, Izuna Uchiha doesn't have any kind of control over anyth...
18.1K 440 25
Having a terrible start with Madara you both despised each other after an accident between you two one morning on your way to work. Thinking you woul...