love on the brain [Jackson Av...

By poluxblack

"But don't lose heart, dear ones; don't lose heart. Don't let it make you bitter. Try to understand. Try to u... More

prologue
cast
soundtrack
1: it's time
2:thunderstruck
3: like a virgin
4: loving is easy
5: friends
6: S.O.S
7: big eyed fish
8: baby
9: complicated
10: the one that got away
11: how to save a life
12: break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored
13: boulevard of broken dreams
14: another love
15: when I was your man
16: wasted
17: one and only
18: like i'm gonna lose you
19: if you love her
20: she loves you
21: the lion sleeps tonight
22: girls just wanna have fun
23: plane
24: brother
25: memories
26: price tag
27: good news
28: marry you
29: all I want for Christmas is you
30: bad guy
31: sorry not sorry
32: mother's little helper
33: boss
34: I've been waiting for you
35: boys will be boys
36: perfect storm
37: the show must go on
38: can't help falling in love
39: when I kissed the teacher
40: waiting on a friend
41: I choose you
42: she's the boss
43: money, money, money
45: sorry seems to be the hardest word
46: dangerous world
happiness

44: good fight

2.2K 55 3
By poluxblack

10x20

-Hello- I knocked at Derek's office's door- wow, you don't look good at all.

-I have a lot of work- he sighed looking really tired- I have the NIH on video call, I have surgeries here and also turns out I have to teach residents! Oh, and let's not forget about picking up the kids.

-All of that even after I am the Head of Neuro now?

-Even after all of that!- he exclaimed complaining as a kid.

-I can pick up the kids and give some of your classes.

-Aren't you the sweetest little thing on the planet?- he smiled a little.

-Aren't you supposed to say that to your kids?- I raised my eyebrow- look, Der, it is so cool you can work from your office with the dudes at DC, but you're stressed and overwhelmed. I'm here. I'm your sister, I can help you with anything you need.

-I know that.

-Then ask for help, you moron- I gave him a soft kick on the head.

-Thanks, Cora- he smiled with his eyes sparkling a little- I'm really happy I've got you.

-What would you do without me?- I joked as I left the office.

-Probably die!- I chuckled hearing his answer.

I walked through the hall till I spotted Cristina.

-Hey!- I walked towards her- you nervous? I bought two bottles of good champagne to celebrate when you come back.

-Nice- she nodded- I wanna see some patients before I leave. You want to go drink and help me with my speech?

-Mer bailed on you?

-Yep- I chuckled.

-Sorry, Cristina, I told Derek I was picking up his kids. Actually, I also have to pick up my own- I looked at the time- oh, shit, I'm late for that- I started to run-sorry, good luck!

...

I put the 3 kids to sleep since Derek and Meredith both stayed late at the Grey Sloan and smiled watching them.

-I'm home!- I heard Jackson closing the door.

-Hey, low your voice or you'll wake the 3 lions.

-3?- he frowned getting closer to me- last time I checked we only had one.

-You funny- I said with sarcasm and kissed him- Zozo and Bailey are here until their parents leave work. You know? Derek really looks overwhelmed with all the work.

-And that considering you're the Head of the department now.

-Oh, my God- I smiled and kissed him again- that's exactly what I said. Come on- I held his hand and guide him to the kitchen- I made salmon with veggies.

-Yummy- he smiled sitting down- today I had this little girl who was deaf and got a dog bite. Turns out the parents didn't want an cochlear implant when she is the perfect candidate!

-Really?- I took a bite of my meal- well, Jackson, you've got to respect their decisions, I mean...

-It's not like I'm insensitive to deaf culture or anything. I just don't get how, as parents, you don't want your kid to experience hearing, if they could.

-They're her parents, Jackson, not us.

-Yeah, well, if it was Mark, he'd be fitted for an implant 3 years ago.

-Just like that?- I frowned- what if I felt differently about it?

-Do you?- he looked at me not being sure of what I thought.

-No, I don't, but it's not the point, Jackson. The point is that a decision as big as that should be considered for both of the parents. It doesn't matter how much of a medicine knowledge you have. It's not your kid. Mark is a healthy boy so you can't know what leads those parents to that decision. You don't know how that kid feels about being deaf. So stop being judgemental with things you can't actually understand.

-Wow- he snorted with a fake smile- you really think I'm judgemental?

-Right now you were practically saying they were bad parents. That they're stupid for raising their daughter in a different way we are raising our child.

-I didn't say that- he frowned.

-Well, you did- I got up and put all my things in the sink- maybe you should think about it while you sleep in the couch and I sleep on my bed with my Zozo and your kid goes with Bailey on the crib.

-What?- he complained- that's not fair! You don't even disagree with me!

-Yeah, if it was Mark I'd chose the implant. But I'd never judge someone that wouldn't, Jackson. It is not my call and I'm no one to judge them. You're no one to judge them. The couch will teach you a lesson.

-To never disagree with you?

-To show a little bit more of respect for others- I snapped looking serious and getting madder with every word he said- and to not be a brat. Good night.

...

10x21

The morning after my argument with Jackson I went to Derek's with the 3 kids before work and told him everything. Unfortunately, I woke up with the news that Cristina didn't win the award.

-I don't know Derek, it just felt like he thought he was better than them and I hate when people are judgmental, you know that. I really didn't like that part of Jackson- I spoke with Mark on my arms.

-You can't love everything about him, Cora. It's normal that you guys have arguments, it's a part of marriage.

-I don't like that either!- I frowned like a kid and he chuckled as someone knocked on the door.

-I should have called. I know- Amy entered the house and I opened my mouth with surprise- but, if I called, you'd have said no. Hi, Cora. Looking sharp, I knew I'd find you here too.

-Hi- I murmured still confused.

-And if you'd said no, then I wouldn't get to see how grown up you are- she kneeled in front of Zola- look at you! What are you, 16 now? And I wanted to see my nephews.

-Hello to you, too- Derek said as confused as I was. I haven't talked to you in 2 months. Amy, what are you doing here?

-A thing happened- she smiled- James proposed.

-Congratulations!- we both said with smiles on our faces.

-And I freaked.

-I'm sure you did- I hit Derek on his shoulder- auch!

-Just sort of freaked. Not flee-the-country freaked. Just suddenly... there's the possibility that I may be facing a different kind of life. The kind that you guys have with Meredith and Jackson. So I thought I could come visit you guys and see what it's like and get unfreaked. Hopefully. You're mad.

-He's not- I looked at Derek's face- it's his "I'm thinking" face. He does it when it's a lot of information.

-I'm actually happy to show you- Derek finally said- hey, Zola, Auntie Amy is gonna play with you, Bailey and Mark while Auntie Cora and I go to work.

-Oh, wow- Amy smiled- really not mad.

-Actually, we're excited- I smiled passing her my son and getting all my stuff ready to leave- their schedules are in the refrigerator. It's practically the same for both of them.

-Zola likes to stick stuff up her nose- our brother said as he took his keys and gave me a signal to leave- so keep an eye on her.

-Okay- Amy murmured.

-We'll see you later- Derek smiled perhaps too much.

-Yeah- I added in a hurry and gave the babies a kiss- we can go have dinner together. Love ya!

Derek and I got in the car and we sighed at the same time.

-You think that was a mistake?- he asked me.

-I love my son but Amy was perfect timing.

-Yeah, right?- he added starting the car.

...

-Morning- I murmured Jackson who was sitting in the nurse station doing something on the computer- heard you're shutting down some projects?

-Not you too, please- he frowned and I raised my eyebrows- you left before I woke up. In the couch, by the way.

-Where I'm sure you thought about what you did wrong. And watch the tone, Avery- I took my Ipad- you're gonna get trouble for Cristina losing the Harper Avery.

-What?

-I'm just warning you. Wouldn't be fair to deny her the award and also shutting down her research. She doesn't deserve it - I said before I left- dumbass.

-I heard that!- he yelled so I could hear him.

-That was the point!

...

After the board meeting where Jackson told us about the projects he was thinking about shutting down, Alex told us he was leaving Grey Sloan for a private clinic where he was offered a much better job,

-Hey, Alex- I ran a little so I could catch him- I'm proud of you man.

-Not mad?- he frowned.

-Why would I be mad?

-I'm leaving.

-Well, it's not like you're going to the Moon, Alex- I chuckled a little- we'll still hang out at Mer's to forget we're grown up adults with kids now.

-I don't have a kid.

-Neither you are an adult, but that's not the point- I joked and he chuckled- it was a pleasure working with you, Karev- I hugged him and he hugged me back.

-Okay- he pulled away- that was too cheesy.

-Agreed.

...

-Jackson- I approached my husband- I'm gonna go to my brother's to pick up Mark, okay?

-Fine- he answered awkwardly- should I expect to sleep in the sofa?

-No- he smiled a little- I'll be sleeping in the sofa- his smiled faded away- it wouldn't be fair to have you breaking your back until you decide to change a little bit your closed up mind.

-What do you want, Cora? An apology? Well, fine, I'm sorry!

-It's not an apology what I want, Jackson- I snapped back at him- I just don't want to raise my kid in an environment where judging others and not being able to emphatize with people is the rule. You know what? I don't want to fight again, I'll be sleeping at Derek's. And so is Mark. You'll see him tomorrow morning.

...

After talking with Derek and Meredith about letting me stay for the night (something they obviously accepted), we headed to the dream house and when we got there we found the living room all messed up and Amy sleeping in the couch.

-Wait- my sister-in-law spoke first- where are the kids?

-They're asleep- she answered as she woke up- totally fine.

-What's wrong?- Derek asked as I sat next to her and held her hand.

-I can't do this- she confessed.

-The children broke your sister- Mer said.

-No, it's not them- she squeezed my hand and I gave her a small smiled listening to her. I didn't like to see my sister like that- I didn't come here to see how your perfect lives worked. I came to see if I could do it. The whole freaking thing, the kids and the marriage and the full-time careers. Because I want that, with James. And I am wrecked after one day- she cried harder- it goes on the list of things that I suck at because...- she got up and left- I can't.

Derek and I went after her as Meredith tried to cleaned up a little bit the mess.

-Hey- I hugged her and Derek caressed her back- our lives are not perfect, Amy. I have fights with my husband and at the end of the day that's okay. Not everything is all rainbow and pink. There's also black. And dark. And even though the things we've dealt with in our lives are different, it doesn't mean we don't have your back. We're family and whatever you decide, we're here.

-Thanks- she pulled away drying her tears.

-We love you, Amy- Derek added.

-You wanna have a sleepover?- I asked her like if I was a child and she nodded chuckling a little- we'll order takeout. You call while I go say good night to the kids and we can let Derek and Meredith do grown ups stuff while we gossip about everyone.

-Hey!- our brother interrupted- you little perv.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

147K 2.7K 36
Instead of Derek getting into an accident, what if it was Meredith back in Seattle? Will she survive? *set in season 11 when Derek was in dc
690K 18.4K 89
Saving lives is all I wanted to do in life but something harder than a open heart surgery is protecting your own heart. I thought I was strong enough...
26.1K 809 38
Meredith Grey, double board certified surgeon in both neuro and general. She is a child prodigy and has been offered chief at Seattle Grace stealing...
181K 5.4K 49
Greys Anatomy AU ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ The Seattle Grace and Mercy West merger is in process. Derek and Addison are finalizing their divorce. Meredith and Alex are...