Sweet Little Birds (BxB Roman...

By lisa_london_

Robin doesn't want to be a tutor. Tyler doesn't want to be tutored. So why are their tutoring sessions always... More

Sweet Greetings!
Chapter 1: Sugar Rush
Chapter 2: Lemon Meringue Pie
Chapter 3: Candy Wrapper
Chapter 4: A Dozen Donuts
Chapter 5: Half a Dozen Donuts
Chapter 6: Soda Splatter
Chapter 7: Chocolate Bunny
Chapter 8: Bitter Cocoa
Chapter 9: Crushed Cocoa
Chapter 10: Strawberry Milkshake
Chapter 12: Tofu Noodle Soup
Chapter 13: Rainbow-Sprinkled Cupcakes
Chapter 14: Pancakes, Waffles, and French Toast
Chapter 15: Pool of Pudding
Chapter 16: Pop-Tarts
Chapter 17: Popsicle
Chapter 18: Peppermint Drops
Chapter 19: Snack Carrots
Chapter 20: Cookie-Dough Ice Cream
Chapter 21: Picnic Basket
Chapter 22: Strawberry Pie
Chapter 23: Sugar-Free Candy
Chapter 24: Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chapter 25: Hard Lemonade
Chapter 26: Fruit Punch
Chapter 27: Birthday Cake
Chapter 28: Bitter medicine
Chapter 29: Late-Night Snack
Chapter 30: Chocolate Fudge
Chapter 31: Caramel-Topped Latte
Chapter 32: Popcorn
Chapter 33: Granola Bar
Chapter 34: Pure Sugar
Chapter 35: Sugary Jitters
Chapter 36: Hospital Food
Chapter 37: Ring Pop
Chapter 38: Hot Chocolate
Chapter 39: Movie Snacks
Chapter 40: Candy Hearts
Chapter 41: Blueberry Muffins
Chapter 42: Jello Cups
Epilogue: Rainbow Lollipops
Sweet Goodbye (notes from the author)
Sweet Character Art
Bonus Chapter: Snack Spread
Bonus Chapter: Trick or Treat
Bonus Chapter: Valentine's Day Chocolate
Christmas Special!
Bonus Chapter: One-year Anniversary
Bonus Chapter: Two-year Anniversary
Introducing: Bitter Treats
Bonus Chapter: The Great Pumpkin Cake Race

Chapter 11: Marshmallow Kisses

1.7K 155 200
By lisa_london_

Gravel and dust covered the field and on each end stood a rickety wooden soccer goal frame. A fence of dilapidated boards enclosed the area. Confused, Robin looked upon the place where Ty had taken him.

"This is where I used to go," Tyler explained as he hobbled by Robin. "Every time I was fed up with my mom, which I was a lot. We lived just around the corner. I ran around and kicked a soccer ball until it was pitch black, waiting for my mom to come and get me. But she never did. I guess that's why I became quite good at soccer."

"You were on a scholarship?" Robin couldn't stop the question and he realized too late that it must be a sensitive subject.

Tyler nodded and put his crutches in front of him to move toward the field. "I was," he replied, a sharp edge to his voice. "I fought so hard to get that damn scholarship... Because I didn't want my aunt and uncle to have to worry about me, after everything they had done for me and my sister. But I guess they have to worry about me now anyway."

With a sigh, Tyler continued his trek toward the gravel-covered turf. Despite using crutches his stride was fast and Robin had to jog to keep up. He wondered why Ty had taken him here when memories haunted him around every corner.

Illuminated by surrounding streetlights, an old soccer ball lay in the middle of the field. Tyler set a course toward it with a determined look. Once he reached his goal, he poked the ball with one of his crutches. A satisfied look spread across his face when he discovered that it wasn't completely deflated.

"Kick it!" he told Robin.

Robin had never participated in sports. His mom didn't allow him such freedoms, not even in high school when his, no longer mysterious, illness had released its hold. It probably was for the best anyway, since he tended to trip on stairs and sidewalks.

"I.. can't," he mumbled.

Once again using the crutch, Tyler rolled the ball toward Robin. "Just try to kick it into the fence," he said encouragingly. "That's what I always did when I was frustrated. Over and over. It helps."

The fence seemed impossibly far away. Although it was probably not more than thirty feet. Robin hesitated. He didn't want to make a fool out of himself. Not in front of Tyler.

"Just make sure to hit with your ankle or side of the foot. Not the toes." Tyler instructed and pointed toward the correct areas on Robin's foot with his crutch. It seemed he had become very accustomed to using the metal rods as extra appendages.

Robin did as Tyler told him. Because he couldn't refuse anything Tyler suggested. He backed off a few feet and then ran toward the ball. He kicked with all his might.

The ball flew toward the fence with surprising speed. The rattle when it hit the boards was very satisfying.

"Wooohooo!" Tyler exclaimed and reached his arms in the air, which made one of his crutches fall. Robin quickly picked it up for him before he ran to fetch the ball for another kick.

Robin kicked the ball over and over. Tyler had been right. It did help. The frustration toward his mother was expressed in furious kicks, which were followed by rattling noise. The noise became louder as the kicks became more confident. Meanwhile, Tyler cheered on enthusiastically with cheers and claps.

Luckily, there weren't any houses nearby. Because it was nearing midnight and disturbance from soccer-playing boys would probably not be appreciated by sleepy neighbors.

After an especially powerful kick, the ball bounced sideways and rolled slowly toward where Tyler stood. Robin halted his chase and waited to see what Tyler would do. A crutch soon stopped the ball's progress and Tyler gazed at the round object for a moment. A gaze filled with broken dreams and impossible longing.

"Kick it," Robin said, softly but encouraging.

"I can't..." Tyler muttered while trying to crutch-push the ball toward Robin.

"Try it." The command was gentle but firm. "It might... help."

Another longing look at the ball. A sigh. Then a crutch rolled the ball backward. Tyler placed the ball in front of himself and with an anxious expression, he tested to put his weight on the crutches while at the same time swinging his right foot in the air.

"Maybe like this..." he mumbled, looking to Robin for assurance.

Robin nodded encouragingly. "I think that'll work," he said.

With a tense sigh, Tyler moved closer to the ball. Supported by the crutches, he moved his foot toward the ball in a movement that seemed ingrained in his muscles. It was obvious that he'd kicked a ball before. With impressive speed, the ball flew like a projectile toward the fence. It hit the boards with a loud bang, making splinters and dust fall to the ground, and then bounced back to where it came from.

Once again, Tyler stopped the ball with his crutch. He looked up at Robin with a triumphant smile across his pretty face. "I guess I still got it," he surmised.

He kicked the ball toward the fence again and it bounced back toward Robin. Soon they took turns kicking the ball. The loud bangs, ferocious exercise, and delightful company made Robin forget all about what had happened earlier that day. It was overshadowed by a feeling of pure joy and boundless freedom.

"Try to take it from me!" Tyler bellowed and dribbled the ball between his foot and his crutches. It seemed his confidence as a sportsman had returned to him. Even if he had to do things a bit differently than before. He made soccer with crutches an artform.

Robin tried, and inevitably failed, to take the ball from the crutch-soccer champion. Smoothly, Tyler moved the ball slightly to the left, only to swiftly move it to the right instead which completely stumped Robin.

He tried again, careful not to accidentally trip or push Tyler, and he failed again. But Robin was happy to fail, as he was rewarded with a joyous smile from beneath blonde curls for his effort.

"I've never played soccer before," Robin protested when the ball once again was swooped out of his grasp. "You've got the upper hand."

"You have two legs," Tyler countered. There was no bitterness in his voice. He was just stating a fact. "It feels like that should give you an advantage, Robby."

He quickly disproved that statement by using Robin's legs as a tunnel and kicking the ball between them. "Score!" he yelled playfully.

Robin wasn't annoyed at being made look foolish. He was happy. Because Tyler seemed happy. And they were together. Engaged in a game that perhaps seemed childish but under the surface was anything but. Perhaps it wasn't a game at all.

The momentum of the tunnel move caused Tyler to crash into Robin. Chests pressed together and faces lingered close. That's when the game ended.

The ball rolled away but neither of them chased it. Instead, they stayed in the huddle. A scent of salty sweat mixed with sweet vanilla hit Robin's nose. Intoxicating and alluring.

He lifted his gaze and met a pair of green eyes filled with mischief, uncertainty, and something else. Maybe it was desire. Robin had never seen that look before.

Those eyes seemed to offer everything he'd ever longed for. It was right there, only an inch away. Understanding. Love. Freedom.

He wanted it. He wanted it now. He didn't care about anything else.

His head tilted to the side. His heels lifted from the ground. His lips parted ever so slightly.

Intuitive actions. Like he knew what to do even though he'd never done it before.

Slowly, so slowly, their lips moved closer and closer. Like magnets drawn to each other by an inescapable force. To not kiss wasn't an option anymore.

The first touch was gentle and brisk. It left them wanting more.

The second touch was deeper and longer. A convulsing movement back and forth, giving and taking equally.

A small break to breathe. The air around them appeared to stand still, charged with tension that radiated from their bodies.

The third touch was confident and passionate. Anxiety and fear flew away as it became clear that their feelings were mutual.

The kiss was all-consuming. It took over Robin's body and mind. Tingles spread throughout his limbs and congregated at a spot below his belt.

The kiss was revelatory. It washed away all doubt and pain. At that moment, Robin felt like completely himself. He wasn't pretending to be someone else.

The kiss was soft like marshmallows and just as sweet. It was addicting and exhilarating, just like sugary treats. And just like the addictive flavor of such fluffy delights, it melted away too soon.

A sudden burst of bitterness welled up in Robin's throat and with the foul taste came a flurry of conflicting emotions. Overwhelmed, he parted his lips from Tyler's and stumbled backward. He fell on the gravel field.

Somehow, Robin had figured out how to flirt. But now he didn't know what to do next. He didn't know if he could handle what was to come. It was all just too much.

"I can't," he stuttered. "Not now..."

The hurt expression in Tyler's eyes stabbed his heart. Robin wanted to get up and taste the soft and sweet marshmallows again. But a restricting feeling across his chest held him back, it felt like iron straps that tightened and kept him from breathing.

"Sorry," Tyler mumbled, green eyes of freedom averted. "I shouldn't have. I got carried away."

"It's alright," Robin replied, although his body was about to break apart from the conflicting urges. He wanted to move closer, and he wanted to run away. But instead, he got up, brushed off his pants, and looked at his watch. "It's late... We should get going. I'll drive you home."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

204K 10.2K 84
The new, geeky kid in school gets partnered with a popular jock in biology. He believes that geeks and jocks can't be friends until this particular j...
218 43 13
Tyler, a boy popular with both girls and boys, is entering his final year of high school. Conceited and a party animal, he does not lack self-confide...
After Dark By Z

Teen Fiction

14.2K 505 42
《 This is a BoyxBoy story 》 William Caddel wants to live. Between crushing expectations and the strictness that comes with them that seems like such...