Heartmate | ✔️

By dawnoffcl

❝What are we?❞ She asked. Fingers traced the outline of her lips. ❝Heart mates.❞ He answered. 〝♡〞 A bond s... More

| o p e n t h e p a n d o r a b o x ! |
| c h a r a c t e r a e s t h e t i c s |
| p l a y l i s t |
p r e f a c e
p r o l o g u e
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y o n e
t w e n t y t w o
t w e n t y t h r e e
t w e n t y f o u r
t w e n t y f i v e
t w e n t y s i x
t w e n t y s e v e n
t w e n t y e i g h t
t w e n t y n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y o n e
t h i r t y t w o
t h i r t y t h r e e
t h i r t y f o u r
t h i r t y f i v e
t h i r t y s i x
t h i r t y s e v e n
t h i r t y e i g h t
t h i r t y n i n e
f o r t y
f o r t y o n e
f o r t y t w o
f o r t y t h r e e
f o r t y f o u r
f o r t y f i v e
f o r t y s i x
f o r t y s e v e n
f o r t y e i g h t
f o r t y n i n e
f i f t y
f i f t y o n e
f i f t y t w o
f i f t y t h r e e
e p i l o g u e
b o n u s : r o y a l w e d d i n g p t. I
b o n u s : r o y a l w e d d i n g p t. II
b o n u s : c o r o n a t i o n
b o n u s : b a b y s t e p s p t. II
b o n u s : h a p p i l y e v e r a f t e r
b o n u s : c r a d l e s a n d g o o d b y e s p t. I
b o n u s : c r a d l e s a n d g o o d b y e s p t. II
| a n d i t 's a w r a p ! |

b o n u s : b a b y s t e p s p t. I

606 29 57
By dawnoffcl

"Do you need another bar of chocolate?" Aiden asked.

His brow furrowed in concentration as he rummaged through the little backpack. Aiden made a noise of satisfaction as he pulled out a snickers bar. Elina took the offering after Aiden unwrapped it for her and nibbled on it.

"She's going to need more than just sugar, you know." Jason quipped from behind.

Elina shot him a glare. Jase threw his hands up in surrender. "Or I can get you more of those colorful fruity crap that you like so much."

"I did eat some dinner last night." Elina sighed. "But it just won't stay in for long."

She shifted in the seat unmistakably trying to find a good position to rest her swollen feet. Aiden placed a soothing hand on her knee and Elina felt some of her fatigue slipping away. She threw him a grateful look which quickly into surprise when she felt a kick, deep in her belly.

Elina placed her palm over her stomach. "He's getting more active." She breathed. At that moment, with the sunlight framing her face, she looked radiant as ever.

"I'm glad. It's getting much more difficult to wait for his arrival these days." Aiden chuckled. He leaned over to kiss her forehead. Elina smiled and rest her head on his shoulder.

"As much as I love the both of you, please spare me from the affectionate display. I see enough of it as it is back home. This is supposed to be my day off." Jason complained.

"Let them be. They're going to be new parents soon. This is the last bit of 'you and me' time they're going to be getting in a very long time." Hailey said.

She sat down next to Elina, handing her a bottled water. Hera slipped into the row behind them, seating herself elegantly next to Jason. Julian stayed back at the palace, caught up with the new batch of recruits, leaving only the five of them - Hailey, Jase, Hera, Aiden and a very pregnant Elina - to attend Kyle's medical school graduation.

It was only supposed to be Hailey in the beginning, really. And then Elina coaxed Aiden into letting her tag along, it being her brother's graduation and all. Which then led to both Aiden and Jase joining the festivity. Though Jason had only shrugged when asked the reason. Elina wondered if he missed the place, however different it was from here. She knew she did.

Ceremoniously, Hera visited the palace, wanting to be some help to Elina during the last month of her pregnancy. Hera even brought along lavender scented oils and kelp lotions to ease Elina's pain during the contractions.

She immediately took a liking to the idea of going to the otherworld, having never seen it before. It has been two years since the Royals welcomed Hera into their growing family as the Queen of Avrael. The ceremony had been lovely and the people welcomed their new Queen with a warm heart and open arms.

Elina still couldn't really get used to seeing Aiden and Hera in mundane clothes, though. Hera most of all - with her long fae ears disguised to resemble human ears and the assortment of knick-knacks she wore as bracelets. It had been quite the evening, as the girls rummaged through Elina's old closet, finding clothes that fit them.

Jase let Aiden borrow some of his old clothes. They were slightly shorter, considering Aiden was atleast a head taller than Jase but he managed to pull it off well. More than well, if Elina had anything to say about it.

Elina nearly cried when she realised she didn't bring clothes that would her fit her but a quick trip back to the palace from Aiden, solved that problem. Though it did tire him out from having to use the portal twice on the same day. Especially when the trip was between two entirely different realms. That was a huge consumption of magic for a normal Mage. But being a devoured descendant had it's perks.

"Dad!" Elina waved when she spot her family among the steady throng of people. She beamed at them as they got near.

"If it isn't my beautiful daughter! How are you feeling?" Her dad reached over to kiss the top of her head.

"Great. Tired but that's not an option I can overlook I suppose." Elina smiled. "Hey Nina! Is that little Oliver?"

Cole squeezed her shoulder as he slipped into the same row as Hera and Jase, holding the hand of his two year old daughter, Ophelia. His wife, Nina, followed close by, a sleeping infant in her arms. They'd gotten married a while ago.

Cole had sprung her upon them and well, the conversation about his sister and her lineage was something out of a movie to poor Nina. But the girl took it well and soon become thick friends with her extraordinary sister-in-law. Ophelia had been a pleasant surprise but she had their hearts, well, in a heartbeat of being born.

"Hello aunt Lina!" The little girl greeted her with enthusiasm. She squirmed out of her father's grasp and slipped through the chairs into Elina's awaiting arms. "I missed you!"

Elina planted fat kisses on her cheeks making the toddler giggle. Aiden chuckled when she wiggled her arms at him. "You didn't miss me?" He asked, cuddling her in his embrace.

"You two are all she talks about, honestly." Nina laughed. "You look well, Ellie."

"You can be honest with me, Nina. I won't be offended, I promise." Elina laughed.

"No, I agree. I've never seen you more happier. You're practically glowing." Cole pointed out. "Aiden I can take Ophelia if you want. She can be a handful, I know."

Aiden waved his offer away. "She is a darling. Aren't you, Ophelia?

The little girl nod her head solemnly. "I'm a good girl. Papa is bad." She said, making them laugh.

"Oh, it's starting!" Hailey gasped excited.

The lights in the auditorium dimmed highlighting the stage. Elina's dad pushed a few buttons on his age old video camera, frowning when something flashed across the screen. He sighed putting it away and opt for his phone instead.

It took a while to get through the exodus of students in their graduation gowns and caps. Ophelia fell asleep on Aiden, half an hour into the ceremony. Elina emotions thrummed into unknown feelings as she watched him shift the little girl in his arms, trying to give her a more comfortable position. He caught her looking and smiled, glancing at her belly where his own baby awaited his arrival into the world.

"Kyle Dawson."

A series of cheers went around from his friends and family as Kyle ascend to the stage. He looked into the crowd, red faced and shy when he heard the cheering. Elina glanced at Hailey to see her clapping hard, pausing only to wipe away a few stray tears.

Though Elina believed they would last, she couldn't stop her doubts when Kyle firmly said that he wanted to stand on his own feet before taking it to the next step with her. Their relationship took a break until he was sure he can look after her and himself on his own, without secondary help.

Hailey agreed though she did knock on Elina's door that night with tears streaming down her cheeks. Aiden had only been more than happy to sleep in one of the guest rooms for the next few days.

Elina was happy that her brother and her best friend had managed to stay strong and pull through their obstacles. They were too miserable without the other. She knew it at once the year Kyle visited during the Winter Festival. It was the second year of them taking a break and the ache of the decision was clearly seen on both their faces. No matter how big or bright their smiles seemed to be.

"Is it normal to be this proud of something, you didn't even work for?" Hailey wondered aloud.

Elina squeezed her hand. "Trust me, it very much is. Oh! Here he comes!" Elina said.

Hailey froze in her seat as Kyle reached them. He kept glancing at her as everybody congratulated him. Everyone noticed except for the girl in question. Once the ceremony concluded, they filed out of the audi. Aiden still held a sleeping Ophelia on one arm and wrapped a protective arm around Elina.

As Cole came over to retrieve his daughter, Elina turned to a very anxious Hailey. Her gaze lay fixed on her brother who was talking over with his friends. Elina shifted on her feet, wincing when she felt a sudden stab of pain. They seemed to be more frequent recently. When Hailey made no response of going to her brother even as his friends walked away, Elina sighed.

"Go." She said simply. Hailey's head snapped in her direction, startled. "Go talk to him. A few words can go a long way."

"What if-"

"Uh uh shush." Elina shook her head. "Don't make that mistake. If he hurts you again, turn him into a bullfrog. That's an order."

Hailey offered a weak smile. She wiped her sweaty palms on her faded jeans. "Okay. Here's goes nothing."

Kyle stopped short the moment he saw her walking in his direction. To him. It had been a while since he'd seen her wear mundane clothes. Or even seen her in general. She looked beautiful. She will always be beautiful to him. He knew it was a stupid decision the moment the words left his lips all those years ago. When Hailey's face had crumpled and then went passive without any emotion.

Yet, he'd done it. The reason? Kyle didn't know either. At that time, he'd seen her suffer with the long distance and wanted to free her from the pain. Let her live her life without worrying about him all the time. Maybe he had been selfish.

He never confirmed if that was what she'd wanted then. Everyday, he replayed their conversation, forming a thousand ways they could have made it work. If only Kyle hadn't been a coward. If only things had gone down differently.

Kyle smiled, on instinct, as Hailey came to stand before him. Her brunette locks ruffled along with the wind. Stray strands littered the side of her face and Kyle itched to tuck them away. To feel the warmth of her skin on his. Kyle chastised himself mentally.

"Hi."

One word. One word was all it took for tears to prick his eyes. He swiped his hand over his eyes, frowning at the moisture.

"Are you crying?" Hailey asked incredulously.

'Was he crying? But why?' Kyle wondered as he blinked his tears away. "No I-" He winced at his strange high pitched tone. He cleared his throat, ears turning red when Hailey grew more amused.

"It was just the dust. This place has a lot of fine dust. They should really consider a large vacuum cleaner or something. Or maybe..." Kyle shut up when he realised he was rambling.

"You looked cool up there." Hailey said. She wanted to slap herself. Why was she being so awkward for? It's Kyle for heaven's sake!

"Oh. Thanks." Kyle answered. He cringed. The urge to slap himself grew at the stupidity of his answer.

Hailey stared at him for a long second. He looked older. Mature. And handsome. Hailey blinked. Kyle shuffled his feet uneasily. Hailey realised with a start that he was uncomfortable by the situation. Uncomfortable because of her.

"We should go." She said simply. She turned around and then stopped. "Congratulations."

Hailey swallowed the lump in her throat. What had she been thinking? That he would let her run into his arms like old times? And tell her how much he loved her? He probably wasn't even interested in her like that anymore. She felt stupid. Stupid for being the only one who-

Hailey wiped away the tears that flowed freely now. Who what? Hadn't Kyle made it clear that she should move on? Wasn't that the whole point of their break? Were they even together anymore?

A hand clasped around her wrist and tugged her into a stop. Hailey couldn't pinpoint the emotion on his face. Apologetic. Regret. Anguish. Love?

"What is-"

"Are you dating anybody?" He asked urgently. Hailey felt a bubble of anger rose up but she swallowed it down and breathed in.

"No. I didn't realize we were done." She admitted, feeling slightly defensive.

Kyle's grip on her tightened. A smile slowly lit his face, brightening his features. Hailey bristled. Was he laughing at her now? For foolishly waiting for him all these years?

"Good. We aren't."

Before she couldn't comprehend the meaning of his words, Kyle was kissing her. First the first few seconds she remained still, his words playing her head. When his hand brushed across her neck, it was as if somebody flipped a switch inside her mind. Hailey's eyes fluttered shut, tears streaking down her cheeks.

"I hate you so much." She sniffled. Kyle winced when she punched his chest. Hard. "It was so hard."

"I know, I know. I'm sorry. You can hit me. Curse me. Do whatever you want to. I'm sorry. I'm an idiot." Kyle wrapped his arms around her, pulling her much smaller frame in his broadened chest. "I love you." He whispered, kissing the top of her head. "Never stopped to be honest."

"I hate you." Hailey grumbled. Kyle felt a rumble of laughter leave his throat. Hailey glared at him and punched him again. "Stop laughing! It isn't funny!"

"I'm sorry. You're just so cute I couldn't help-" He stopped short as another bubble of laughter left his lips.

"I'm leaving." Hailey turned around.

Kyle pulled her back to him again. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." He coaxed. "I know I did something really stupid. But I-I don't know. I just couldn't see you suffer from the distance between us. I didn't think it was right to hold you back."

"You didn't even ask me if that was what I wanted. Do you think I was happier after you cut all ties?" Hailey asked. Her tone delved deep into hurt. "A break. Who were we kidding?"

"I'm sorry." He repeated. "And I'll apologize for the rest of my life. Only if you're willing to stay and forgive me."

Hailey eyed him. She knew Kyle well enough to know that he really meant it. "I want more than just apologies."

Kyle brightened. His hands snaked around her waist and he pulled her closer in one fluid movement. "What else does my spitfire want?"

"Well, my legs hurt from waiting for your sorry ass all these years as you avoided me like the damn plague." Hailey replied. She crossed her arms over her chest and shut her eyes.

When Kyle remained quiet for a few seconds, she cranked one eye open. Kyle tugged his cloak free from his body and offered it to her. Hailey raised a questioning eyebrow.

"Hold them for me please." Kyle told her sweetly. She eyed the items in his hand for a moment before taking them.

"What now? Are- woah!"

Kyle sweeped her off her feet and shifted her in his arms. Hailey immediately gripped his shirt, her free arm looped around his neck. Even though she'd meant it as a joke for old times sake, her traitorous heart fluttered when it realised that he remembered exactly which memory she meant by her words.

"I'm actually hungry for real this time." Kyle admitted sheepishly.

Hailey couldn't help it. She laughed helplessly, burying her face into his shirt as Kyle walked them over to the others. At that moment, she couldn't have cared less about the embarrassment as onlookers pointed at them. She was finally where she belonged. She was with the only person she would ever truly love in this lifetime. She was home.

"We could steal one of Ellie's chocolate bars from Aiden." Hailey said. Kyle smirked.

"How many do you think we can procure?"

At this point, Hailey felt another series of laughter bubble from her chest. "Depends." She hummed. "How fast can you run?"

"Playing matchmaker again?" Aiden whispered, startling Elina. He wrapped his arms around her from behind and placed his chin on her head.

"I just gave the little push they needed." Elina said. Another stab of pain washed over her. Aiden's arms loosened their grip.

"What's wrong? Where does it hurt?" He questioned. Lines of worry creased his forehead as he checked her over for physical wounds.

"Don't worry about it. The nurses said the contraction pains are normal closer to birth." Elina assured her bonded. "Can I have something to drink?"

He dug into his little backpack again and produced a bottle of fruit juice. Elina raised an amused eyebrow at his bag. She took a sip from the bottle, immediately frowning as the taste hit her. A wave of nausea hit her.

"It's apple." She said. A disgusted expression crossed her features. Aiden widened his eyes in realization. He immediately took the bottle of juice away and offered the bottled water that Hailey brought earlier.

"Sorry. I tried to get your favorite but the language is difficult and all the labels look the same..." He mumbled, frowning at the juice bottle in his hand.

"Aid, it's okay. Don't fret over it." Elina said. "See here, it says apple...flavoured."

Aiden nod his head. His eyes intently stared at the two words like he was memorizing them by heart.

"Can you help me over to the car?" She asked.

Elina's birthday present was finally being used after staying untouched all those years. She had almost forgotten about it and had a pleasant surprise when she saw the baby blue beetle in the garage.

"I think I see another marital ceremony in the near future." Hera said as she joined the couple and Jason at the car. Jason snorted glancing at Hailey and Kyle in the distance.

"It's a miracle they managed to stay apart this long." He said.

Elina's father jogged to them. "Does anybody here want to travel with me on the ride back?"

"Me!" Jason's chirped at once. "Please take me along. The air around here is too sweet for me."

Elina punched his shoulder hard. Jason yelped staring wide eyed at her. Hera leaned away from the car. "Can I come along too? Hailey drives too fast." She admitted.

Frederick Dawson laughed at the two. "Of course. Do you want to spend more time or shall we leave right away?"

"Right away." Elina said at once. "Aid, be a darling and dump this troll in the trash can over there, please?"

"Hey!" Jason exclaimed. He eyed Aiden as the boy approached him. Aiden smirked, eyes glinting with mischief. "I have protected the Queen all these years. I deserve better treatment- Is that apple juice?"

The ride back home was sweet just like Jason had described, even for Elina's standards. Kyle drove the car for them and the whole way back, Hailey and him flirted with each other for all the time they spent apart.

Though Elina did spend most of her time consoling a fear stricken Aiden in the car. He had clutched her hand as firmly as he could without forming bruises. At some point, Elina's mood swings kicked in and she'd form a shield around the backseat of her car, strategically blocking the sound off. The lack of sound calmed Aiden down as well.

"I'm sorry. I still haven't gotten used to the means of transport." Aiden confessed looking as miserable as he possibly could. Elina pat his arm comfortingly, too tired to say anything else. The waves of pain were getting too frequent, making her uncomfortable.

"I'm not due for another two weeks." She mumbled to herself.

Aiden's grip on her loosened and she felt some of the pain wear away. He was doing his thing again. Elina brought his knuckles to her lips and pressed a soft kiss on them.

"What will I ever do without you?"

A low, gravely hum startled them. Hailey tapped the shield between them. Elina hastily took it down when she realised that they were back in her old house. She slowly got down with Aiden's help.

Aiden couldn't help the smile on his face as he watched Elina wobble her way into the house. She would portal him into a block of ice if she saw him right now but the whole environment was just too adorable that he couldn't help the mirth and warmth wrap around himself.

"Well you seem happy." Kyle said as he fell into step with his brother-in-law.

"That's because I am happy." Aiden pointed out. "And I could say the same about you."

Kyle smirked. "Yeah. Yeah, me too."

The next few steps remained silent as both of them tangled up in their own thoughts. Kyle broke the silence.

"Soooo, how's it been? Pregnancy and all?"

Aiden shrugged. "I'm not the person carrying the baby."

Kyle gave him a look. "I am aware of how human bodies work. I just graduated medical school for a reason."

"I see this is where she gets the sass from." Aiden rolled his eyes. "It was a rocky start." He winced. "Morning sickness, mood swings, the random midnight cravings. We've been through it all."

Kyle pushed the main door open and held it, allowing Aiden to walk in before him. "Thanks." The latter said quickly and ran a hand through his windswept hair. "But I am grateful and happy that I get to go through it all."

Kyle nod his head thoughtfully. "Yeah, I understand. At times when I'm really out of it, I still wonder if this is reality or just a intricately woven dream."

"I can slap you back to reality. All you have to do is ask. Or not. I'll do it even without you asking." Elina's voice drifted in as she walked over to where they stood at the bottom of the stairs that led upstairs.

Kyle rolled his eyes. "Very funny." He deadpanned.

"Only when the subject is you, brother dearest." Elina smiled sweetly. She looked Aiden as she took a sip of whatever it was that she had in the steaming mug held securely within her palms. "Want to sit in the backyard for a bit?"

"I think I'll get some sleep. I barely got any last night and you woke me up at an ungodly hour in the morning. I could hardly keep my eyes open during the ceremony. No offense." Aiden added the last part for Kyle's benefit.

"Okay, you do that. I'll just hang out with Jase and Hera then." Elina shrugged, walking back into the interiors of the house.

"Wake me if you need something." Aiden called after her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

180K 11.2K 36
Alera lost her mother early in life and was raised by a strict king for a father and the many nursemaids who crossed themselves before touching her...
8.9K 626 53
Two Fae enemies, the prince and princess from rival territories, put their hatred for one another to one side when they are forced to go on a dangero...
272 1 16
This is a preview for my full length novel. You can see the monster behind his eyes, the dragon that shares his soul. Dahlia makes people nervous. Gi...
5.9K 320 16
❤MAGICAL LOVE STORY❤ ⛦82 for general fiction _ feb 2018 22nd for general fiction-june 2018 To love is nothing, to be loved is something, bu...