Ghost Hunt Fanfiction: THAT A...

By Jira03

Mai Taniyama is just another highschool student when she met an unfeeling narcissist who came to investigate... More

Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Author's Note
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
My Apologies!
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
EXTRA:🌲🎊Christmas Special🌲🎊
Announcement
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44: The Final Arc (01)
Chapter 45: The Final Arc (02)
Chapter 46: The Final Arc (3)
Chapter 47: The Final Arc (04)
Chapter 48: The Final Arc (05)

Chapter 37

608 25 3
By Jira03

A/N: Hello! How are you? I hope you all are doing well! Please enjoy this chapter!

DISCLAIMER: I don't own Ghost Hunt.

[Not Edited]

-oOo-

".... Yes. Their name is Luella and Martin. Mom said that they her friends."

"Did you get more information of them from the late Madame? Like surnames, hair colour, race or anything?"

"None. I just heard their name. But before digging some information about them, I want you to find the person that my mom had been sponsoring. His name is Jeff— I don't know his surname nor if this is his full name. He's Asian but he had a golden blonde hair and dark blue eyes. He finished business class and he was much younger than mom. I don't know his current age but I think he's about 30 to 36 years old this time."

"Okay. I got it, Miss. Including the information about the black jade and the lake, I will be able to hand you the results a week later."

"Thank you, butler."

Mai hung up the call after thanking the butler that's currently residing in her secret residence in China. She had been thinking of that dream since yesterday. She don't know anything about the man but she feels like there is a connection between the black jade and that man because he's a bit close to her mom. They even mentioned her father. Mai was about to thrust her phone inside her pocket when she saw the wallpaper. It was the picture of her and Naru. She hasn't changed it since that time. Even though she's awkward after his confession, Mai didn't have the courage to change her wallpaper. It just doesn't feel right.

Ever since the encounter with Gene three days ago, Naru never visited again. Eugene also didn't contact her since that day. Mai thought she was fired but yesterday, when she was finally discharged from the hospital, Lin called and invited her to the office. He said there is a case that Naru just accepted. And today, she was on her way to the SPR office together with her bag. Mai hope it will not be so awkward for her while facing Naru.

Yasu was invited by Naru too. Apparently, Naru doesn't want to be in a spotlight as the SPR's boss because the client had invited other investigators beside them. Adding to his identity, it's not good for him to appear as the manager of a firm so he got Yasu to act as his stand-in. The case is also confidential since the client is a big shot. They didn't want the media to catch this information since it's related to the Prime minister.

"Hello." Mai said after stopping in front of the van. She looked around and saw a new face inside the office.Mai smiled at her but she suddenly got frozen after registering that familiar face inside her mind.

'That face.... Don't tell me she's.....'

"Mai! We're about to start!" Bou-san said. He was very excited to solve this case. Naru didn't even look at her when she arrived. He didn't even scolded her for being late for three minutes. Mai pursed her lips and tried to remain calm, not showing sadness on her face.

"Now that everyone's here, let us go. No need to wait for Hara-san since she already went ahead of us." Naru spoke and walked towards the SPR van. Lin also nodded and shut the back door after putting all of the equipment. Mai was about to get inside Bou-san's car when a hand grabbed her arm and pull her towards the SPR van.

"Hello! I'm Mori Madoka. I'm Naru's master. You must be Taniyama Mai, right?! I have heard a lot of things about you from Lin! Care to share a ride with me?" The pink haired gorgeous lady beamed at her and before Mai could get the chance to answer, she was pushed inside the van.

Awkward. The only word to describe the atmosphere inside the SPR van as they travel. Lin was driving while Madoka sat beside him. At the back seat, Naru and Mai sat on the opposite side of the van, both were busy at what they do. Naru was reading but he didn't even flipped one page since an hour ago. Mai was staring at her phone but her phone screen shows nothing but black.

Madoka giggled while watching the two. Lin had explained to him what happened and also about Gene. The pink haired lady was a bit stunned but she smiled at the progress. While nobody was talking, Madoka sneaked a glance at Mai and smiled mischievously.

"Uhm.. Taniyama-san..." Madoka said as the brunette flinched. Mai turned her head to Madoka and put away her phone.

"Y-yes? Please just call me Mai, Mori-san."

"Then call me Madoka too!"

"W-what is it?" Mai asked nervously while looking at the older woman's smile. She flinched as that smile sent chills through her spine. Mai was really praying that this gorgeous woman didn't recognize her.

"I have seen your pictures before but Mai, we have met before right?"

"W-whatever do you mean, Madoka-san?" Mai asked with a stiff smile in her face. She really couldn't escape this time.

"A year ago, in New York City, the FH Corporation successfully signed a contract with HUALAN Group during their conference about their new technology. It's a major deal so everyone's looking forward to it. But what's more surprising is the young representative of HUALAN Group, who demonstrated her strength and knowledge despite being insulted and mocked by old businessmen. I can't be mistaken, you are that representative, right?" Madoka excitedly asked while beaming at Mai. Naru looked at Mai after hearing that sentence and even Lin gave her a strange look.

"Uhmm... I did attended that conference—"

"I'm right! Me and my father was amazed by you speech that day! You slapped all the business tycoons who mocked you! HUALAN Group was just started nine years ago but it was very successful now! It is said that you're part of the Board of Directors! What an amazing achievement for someone of your age!" Madoka praised while Mai tried to smile naturally.

'If I said I'm the owner and CEO of HUALAN, she would probably faint, right?'

Mai inherited HUALAN Group from her mother. It is a secret company that her parents built for her to manage. In the first place, Mai's parents never intended her to inherit the Xia Family Business. She had been secretive and had erased all rumours and pictures about her being part of HUALAN Group but who knew that one day, she would meet a person who had seen her personally before?

"I love the fashion brands of HUALAN Group! Their latest products are so beautiful! It's a shame that they had no branch in England. I had to go to New York to purchase that set!" Madoka continued. Seeing Mai's uncomfortable state, Naru interrupted her.

"Madoka, you're noisy."

"Tsk. I was just praising her! You better take care of her or else I'll skin you alive!"

"Please just keep quiet."

-oOo-

"Welcome. Thank you for coming all the way here. My name is Ohashi. Please consider me just as a client. You must be the Shibuya Psychic Research. The president is...?" An old man was waiting for them at the entrance. Yasu came out and showed them his perfect business smile. He bowed slightly in greeting before introducing 'himself'.

"That would be me. I am Shibuya Kazuya, the president." Mai turned her head to look at Yasu and choked seeing Yasu's white suit. Naru glared at her while she controlled her coughs. Yasu just smiled and didn't turn his head to Mai. He knew what she was thinking.

'Did he stole Uncle's suit? Did his old man even let him wear that?'

"I heard you're extremely young. As for the rest of you..."

"Ah. These as exorcists who are also close acquaintances of mine. I asked for their assistance for this case." Yasu answered while stretching out his arm towards Bou-san and the rest, leaving them to introduce themselves.

"Hello, I am Matsuzaki, Ayako."

"Uh, I'm Takigawa, Houshou."

"And I am Brown, John."

The three bowed themselves in greeting while Yasu went to Lin's side to introduce 'his' assistants. Madoka didn't joined them because she will be out gathering information. They dropped her off in the nearby village.

"Hello, I am Taniyama Mai." Mai introduced herself first as she and the others look at Naru on what name he's going to say.

"I am Kazou.... Narumi."

'Who's that?! And why do he have to add that suspense? Well, as long as he's Naru, it's okay.'

Mai whipped her head away from Naru and look around the house. She went to Bou-san's side and look behind him. This house is very strange. It gives the haunted feeling and there are many spots that are not covered with lights. The doors she can see are also of different paints and design. Mai continued to look around while Lin told Ohashi-san his name.

"I am Lin Koujo."

"Are you from China?" Ohashi-san suddenly asked, making the SPR to stare.

"I am originally from Hong Kong." Lin answered, leaving the others surprised. Only Mai and Naru knew that the tall stoic man's a Chinese descent so it was quite surprising to the other members.

"Please come this way, I'll take you to the lobby." Ohashi-san answered and lead them to another hall. The SPR members began to whisper with each other.

"What?! He's a foreigner? He did not look like that!" Ayako whispered while the others nodded.

"Well, that's one mystery solved. I always wondered where that 'Lin' or 'Rin' came from. Is it his first or last name?" Bou-san said while the others are nodding.

"His surname, 'Lin' means 'forest'. His name is written as '林興徐'" Mai joined the conversation as she took a pen and a pocket notebook to inscribe the characters. The group gathered around her as they follow the others. They didn't noticed Naru and Lin looking over them.

"In Mainland China, these characters are pronounced as 'Lín-xìng-' which means 'Forest', 'Flourished' and 'Slow/Gentle'. As to why he pronounced it as 'Lin-Kou-jo', I don't know. He's from Hong Kong so maybe it's a Cantonese pronunciation? Mandarin and Cantonese are different after all. You should ask him about it." Mai explained and closed the notebook after finishing her speech.

"Oh. But how do you know his name's characters? He never writes his name and I never saw it." Bou-san asked making Mai grin.

"Ah. My senior brother, Mu Lin Yuan, idolized this name. They met at a conference years ago and i can still remember him torturing my ears by repeated praising and fan-boying Lin."

"Ooh! So that's why he's so dumbstruck after seeing Lin in the hospital." John said while Ayako yelp.

"Oh! You noticed it too?"

"Though I never met Lin before the case at my school, I heard of this 'Lín-xìng-xù'. He's a Chinese sorcerer from England and he's quite famous in the field. He's also the first son of the owners of Finwood Company Group." Mai added choking both Ayako and Bou-san.

"What the— he's rich?! A SGR?!"

"Hush! Don't scream! He'll hear you!" Mai slapped Ayako and Bou-san while sneaking a peak at Lin's back.

"Seriously? He's really rich?" Ayako whispered while Mai nodded.

"Though I don't know why he didn't involved himself in their family business, I heard that he's one of the leading sorcerers in England. There are many achievements on his name and besides, he graduated Law at King's College University in Cambridge, England."

"Dang. He's a big shot."

"How did you know of these information, Mai? Did your senior brother told you all of these?" John asked.

"Hmm. Some of it but I have been engaging in business and sorcery since young. And I also lived in England for a while so of course, I've heard of the famous Household Family that owns Finwood Company Group. Oh! Senior Brother also told me that they are family of sorcerers. That's all I know. If you want more info, just ask Lin yourself.

"Nope! That's okay. I'm satisfied." Bou-san answered while making a nervous face. He's still a bit afraid of asking that stoic man.

They entered the lobby and saw Masako and numerous investigators sitting inside. Mai and the others occupied the sofa beside the main table while Lin, Yasu and Naru sat on the same table as the others. Mai observed all of them in silence. Ohashi-san began to speak after they all seated.

"To begin, I would like to introduce everyone whom I asked to come. First, this is Chie Igarashi-sensei, a professor in National Defense Academy and this is her assistant, Naoko Suzuki-sama. Second, this is Masako Hara-sama, a medium. Third, here is Kazuya Shibuya-sama from Shibuya Psychic Research. And lastly, this is Remei Minami-sama from Minami Psychic Research Center, together with his assistant, Hideo Atsugi-sama and their observer, Mr. Oliver Davis."

Though Masako, Lin, Naru and Yasu remained calm, the others sitting on the other table simultaneously choked with the mention of that name. The room is filled with their coughs and the meeting was disrupted because of them. All people in the room are looking weirdly at them except for Naru, of course. He was glaring daggers and that made them choke even more.

"Cough! Please continue. Pardon us for disrupting. Cough! We were just surprised to see an esteemed person here." Mai explained while the others are still coughing. Ohashi-san just smiled at them while other maids gave them towels to wipe their faces. They were just having tea, is it necessary to surprise them with this joke?!

'Now I see why Naru accepted the case when he don't like these kind of cases. And besides, these charlatans.. You dare to lie in front of the original!'

Mai smirked and covered her mouth, not letting a single laugh be audible. The others are also doing the same. They all bowed down their head while their shoulders shaking. In fact, Yasu also want to laugh but he can't because he's in front of many people and this resulted to his smile becoming even wider and brighter than before.

"During the course of your investigation, you may stay here. You may retire or return to your quarters at any time you want but we cannot permit you to leave the premises.  We ask you to please respect these conditions." Ohashi-san added. Minami-san suddenly stood up and smugly patted his chest.

"You can count on us! After all, we have Dr. Davis! And if the situation got worse, I can always call Alex Taunus, Uri Geller, or someone else!"

The Bou-san and the others started coughing again after hearing what the charlatan said. Once Ohashi-san said they can go, they immediately reached for the door and left as one old maid leads them to the base. And the old maid was greatly scared with their continuous coughing that she ran away after pointing to a door. Bou-san and company immediately laughed hysterically after entering their base.

"Hahaha! That... That con-artist! Hahaha. If you want to put an imposter, at least don't do it in front of the original! Hahaha!"

"Minami-san is truly amazing! Haha! As clown, that is! Hahaha!"

"Uri Geller?! Alex Taunus?! Where did he get his confidence?! Haha. Is he going to hire an imposter again?!"

"Oh my gosh! Haha! My stomach! No— hahaha! That clown's face is as thick as the this wall! Hahaha!"

Masako sighed while watching the four of them laugh like mongrels. John just smiled nervously while Lin ignored them. And Naru....was just glaring at them. Yasu and Mai are leaning on the wall while holding their stomach while Bou-san nd Ayako kneeled on the floor while punching it. They look so hilarious.

"Are you done?"

"Wait a minute! I just realized it now! If Naru is....." Mai said as she mouthed 'OLIVER DAVIS' at the end of her sentence. She also gestures with her hands, pointing at Naru then at Bou-san.

"Then that means Bou-san had been showing his fanboy side to the original this whole time!" Mai yelled in amusement as Bou-san blushed in embarrassment. The whole base was filled with laughter again as Bou-san smacked Mai in embarrassment. Everyone, except Naru were laughing at Bou-san' predicament. Even Lin's shoulders are shaking.

"Enough! Mai, start collecting temperatures at every room. Matsuzaki-san, Yasuhara-san, please tag along."

"Okay. But now I understand why you took this case. You must've caught some rumours of 'Dr. Oliver Davis in Japan' so you took this case to check it out." Mai answered as she took a pen and a paper. The others also nodded in agreement. Naru just calmly stared at her without saying another word. Yasu and Mai was about to go but Ohashi-san suddenly came.

"Hello. I see that you have brought remarkable equipment with you. Are you sure this room is sufficient?"

"Ah. Ohashi-san. Yes, this room okay. Thank you. Oh. Would you mind answering some questions?"

"Absolutely. Feel free to ask me anything."

Yasu gave him his usual business smile and acted like the boss. He gestured him to one chair as Mai went to the corner to make some tea. Yasuhara called Naru and let him do the questioning. Naru then obliged like a loyal 'employee' and sat across Ohashi-san.

"Ohashi-san, could you confirm the details of this case?"

"Yes. Please do."

"We know that it was your wife's grandfather, who originally erected this house. But apparently, not your wife, your wife's father nor anyone else from their family had ever lived in this house...or so we're told. Also, rumor has it that a spirit appeared." Naru began talking while Ohashi-san nodded at him. Lin also began encoding as they speak.

"As the time passed, it has been forgotten. But then, two months ago, a boy vanished from here. Some local juveniles broke in since the building looked vacant.  But this mansion's structure had became convoluted and unsafe. Some areas had been deteriorated to the point of collapse. The police, together with the locals have been searching for that boy but he was never found. And there's more, during the search, a young firefighter also vanished. Several people claimed to have seen human apparitions in this mansion. Actually even before the search, it is reported that several construction workers disappeared during renovations and after two more disappearances, that's where the rumours began to start."

"Your wife's father also wrote this in his will: 'They gave their all to this mansion and it's here, they shall remain. Until they rot and return to ashes.'."

"Yes, Narumi-sama. You are correct. That is the reason why I called you here to investigate." Ohashi-san answered him after Naru finished summarizing the case. The other SPR members are still not comfortable with that new name of his.

"We can see that this building is old but can you tell me the exact year it was built?"

"We heard that the construction started around the year Meiji 10."

"I see. The building is said to be renovated so much that hardly anything remains from the original building. It seems that your wife's father had done some sort of renovation every year since his father built it. Why renovate it every year  even though no one lives here?" Naru asked.

"That's what we liked to know." Ohashi-san answered while shaking his head gently. His face is also full of confusion.

"What wa your wife's grandfather like?" Naru asked after some hesitation. Ohashi-san is a man married to that family so he might not have known so many about the family who built this house.

"His name is Kaneyuki Miyama-sama. He own a large plot of land in Suwa Region. He built a silk-spinning factory and then eventually devoted himself to philanthropy. I heard he built orphanages and charity hospitals. Then he lost much of his business from the financial crisis in Meiji 40. He had to shut down his hospitals and other interests. He died three years later."

"Did he live here?" Naru asked while writing down notes.

"Yes, he did."

"Ohashi-san, did you experience or see something supernatural yourself?"

"I have stayed here for weeks to make preparations but I had experienced nothing. I did heard some stories from other employees."

"Did you hear from the people who were with the missing persons?"

"I'm sorry but that is off the records."

Naru took a moment, reorganizing his thoughts before asking Ohashi-san again.

"Do you know what might be causing these ghosts?"

"I, myself, don't have any ideas."

"I see. Do you perhaps have a blueprint of this house?"

"I'm afraid not, unfortunately. But I'll inquire for your sake."

"Thank you very much. That is all." Naru ended the interview and glanced to Yasu. The latter got his message and his face beamed as he walked Ohashi-san out. The SPR members bowed slightly as he leave.

"Doesn't this felt like the proverbial 'haunted mansion'?" Ayako hopped in as Bou-san nodded.

"Agreed. An old western-style mansion with lots of history. What's wrong, Naru-bou?" Bou-san asked, noticing the serious look on Naru's face while looking over his black notebook.

"Something's not right. A haunted mansion abandoned for so many years... A convoluted building with no blueprints..." Naru murmured to himself while toying with the pen in his hand. He then looked up and started giving orders. Naru keeps on reminding them not to go alone especially after sunset.

Mai stood up from her seat to do her work but the moment she stood up, her nose caught a whiff of something disgusting and nauseating. She paled after realizing what it was. Her hand quickly reached out to her face and covered both her nose and lips. She was so unfocused that she didn't hear Ayako and Bou-san teasing Naru.

"Aren't you overcautious?" Bou-san complained.

"That's the exact words of a man looking for an excuse to be lazy." Naru answered making Bou-san left, loss of words but he bounced back quickly afterwards.

"I see. We should definitely on out toes. But this cautious attitude is such a sudden change for you, 'Normal Investigator Narumi-kun'." Bou-san suddenly said while having a smug look pasted on his face. He even dared to form a heart figure using both of his hands. Ayako saw that and gave the same look and start giggling.

"That's right. You don't sound like a lowly investigator at all! You act like you have authority that is reserved only for the president!"

Bou-san and Ayako laughed like they won gold medal in an Olympic competition. Naru's face turned livid after that as John immediately reached out his hand to perform the Sign of the Cross. As for Yasuhara and Lin, one just pushed up his glasses while one ignored them. Naru noisily dropped his pen to the table and stood up.

"Let's come to an agreement then.  I will defer to my ELDERS." Naru started making sure he emphasizes the word, 'elders', which stabbed the heart of those laughing morons. The room temperature suddenly went cold as Naru gave them his brightest smile. That smile was so beautiful that even rich people will have to pay millions to buy it but it only sends chills through Bou-san and Ayako's spines. The two of them shivered as they shrank in fear.

"So, whoever wants to lead this operation, please step forward. I will be the 'LOWLY' investigator under your orders and will ONLY follow your words. I won't dare disobeying you but  if something worst happen, then it will be none of my fault. It's your full responsibility. Anyone? Takigawa-san? Matsuyama-san?"

"We beg for your forgiveness, boss."

"I'm sorry."

Bou-san and Ayako quickly answered wye shivering while Yasu laughed at their demise. The two of them bowed but Naru continued giving them that devilish grins.

"Oh? Sorry for what? It's okay, you can step up. I don't mind." Naru said with his very calm and sweet voice. He looks like the tyrant king, waiting to pounce on his next prey.

"We're truly sorry, President." Bou-san and Ayako bit their lips and avoided Naru's glare. They were about to offer another apology to erase Naru's scary expression when they suddenly heard someone falling behind them. They turned their head and saw Masako kneeling on the floor while Mai lay on the sofa. Both are covering half of their head and looked like all blood was drained from their faces.

"Masako! Mai!"

Yasu and John went to Masako and helped her to the sofa while Bou-san, who is the quickest, assisted Mai and sitting up properly. Ayako got rid of her fear of Naru and check Masako first. She is shivering and sweating bullets. She brought out her handkerchief and wiped the sweat of her face. Seeing Mai in the same situation, Bou-san copied Ayako's actions and gently shook Mai.

"They're fine. They're not injured anywhere but they're quite shaken." Ayako said while giving two cups of water to the girls.

"Masako, what happened?" Yasuhara asked as the doll-like medium composed herself.

Masako saw Mai's face and knew she's suffering more seriously than her. She pursed her lips and held Mai's hand. She squeezed the brunette's hand to wake her up. In front of them, Naru's face was livid. He was angry at himself. He doesn't the scene he is currently watching. He kneeled in front of Mai and took the hand that Masako didn't grab. Mai was still breathing heavily, her brows are furrowed and her eyes are tightly closed. Bou-san, who is holding Mai's frame, shook her again and called out her name together with Naru and Masako.

"Mai, wake up!"

"Mai!"

They saw Mai inhaling deeply after a few moments. Her face showed relief like she had been freed from her suffering. Masako gave her water, that Mai quickly drank. Naru heaved a sigh of relief before going back to his old self. He let go of Mai's hand and stood up. He's surely worries but he acted like he's not.

"Seriously, what happened to the both of you? Your faces are as pale as ghosts!" Ayako said while wiping the sweat on both of the girl's faces. Masako might've acted strong while waking up Mai but her pale face and continued sweating tell them otherwise.

"Something's... I've felt an anxiety ever since I entered this house and it continues to grow every seconds. And just now, I caught a strong smell of blood and rotting around us!" Masako explained while still holding Mai's hand. Mai also nodded after quenching her thirst and soothing her dried throat.

"What?! You smelt it too?! I thought I was imagining that odor a while ago!" Ayako said as the others widened their eyes.

"You should've said something sooner, old hag! I smelt it a while ago in the lobby!"

"Don't call me old hag, you stupid monk!"

"Did anyone hear have the same experience?" Naru sternly asked while looking around. The bickering exorcists also stopped their argument and look at Yasu and John.

"I didn't." Yasu

"I think I did but it was only for a second that I thought my nose just caught something from the paintings." John answered while Naru nodded. In fact, he and Lin also noticed the smell as they enter the mansion. This is the reason why he is being so cautious and vigilant.

"I see. Yasuhara-san, and Father Brown, please take the temperature in place of Mai. Join me and Bou-san in setting up cameras after the task. Matsuzaki-san, please stay with Hara-san and Mai and do not leave their side even after they recovered. We must set the equipment before sunset so we better work now."

"Yes, sir!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

994 22 8
Shibuya Psychic Research is hired to investigate a delapidated Tokyo schoolhouse. The same day they begin, Ghost Hunt fan girl Nira Narumi falls into...
789 21 9
Nira isn't afraid of ghosts and spirits. Dolls, on the other hand...plastic and fake hair made to look like a human? Painted on eyes that seem to fol...
449 3 9
Things take a grim turn when a student's suicide note hint at the beginning of darker times for Ryokuryou High, but Naru is up to the challenge. To m...
20.8K 599 15
Naru was curious, when he got back to Japan he found everyone except Mai. And now they have there first case and are being joined by a lone ghost hun...