Beautiful Scar

By 95McQueen

Scarlet is known for many things. The adoptive daughter of General Homes. A brutal and yet intelligent Captai... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34

Chapter 30

994 39 9
By 95McQueen

Scarlet covered her mouth; a big yawn overcame her.

She couldn't control it.

It was a quarter to 9 in the morning in this mock court room, located in the Institute. And she only got to sleep when night eventually spilled over to the early morning, around three o'clock.

She had taken a seat at the very back corner.

Aspiring Scholars slowly filed into this room. The session was mostly attended by those in blue robe wearers.

She finally noticed a few people in common clothing.

Today the mock court trial was opened to the public.

Even Scarlet herself wore a long plain black coat over her basic dark green uniform, to not draw attention. She even combed her distinct grey-black haired to the right side of her face.

Then, without her notice, another person plopped on her side.

How could she not notice?

The person besides her, in common clothing too, except with a hat on, she lifted her veiled hat and revealed—

Scarlet managed a harsh whisper, "Fina!"

No wonder.

"You made it", Scarlet composed herself, and leaned back.

"Well, looks like I'm still not rusty on these things", Fina smiled cheekily.

Scarlet only shook her head at the Princess, her dear friend and her future Queen.

She managed a glance at her friend's attempt to disguise herself as commoner.

Her colour was anything but common, it could pass off as a noble lady, soft brown and yellow in contrast with her all black.

But that would do.

Scarlet was reminded her session with Fina, last night.

After her training with her men and the suitors in the evening, she had a short dinner break and went to the Warrior Study's underground dueling arena, the Fighting Circle.

The Fighting Circle had a simple cauldron dip leading towards the dueling space, spectator seats surrounding the base.

Often, the Fighting Circle was made for matches to assess the progression and promotion of the warriors.

Captains, Assistant Generals and Generals all gathered to give their judgment and assessment on potential change of ranks between Warriors.

The higher the rank, the higher the scrutinization were, and for those to be offered to General, the King would often join in the session.

But more importantly, another assessment was done at the Fighting Circle.

It was the place where all the higher Warriors would duel with the current Ruler...and future Ruler, a training ground for the current and future Supreme Commander of the SIlverstorm's Royal Warrior Army.

And on designated nights, Scarlet attended them as well as Fina – the few times where their schedules matched in their growing hectic lives.

When she remembered Fina's swift, gallant and dangerous movement, she felt her inadequacy.

She wasn't the only one.

When she reached the Circle, she already saw other Captains had fallen, panting on the ground.

And without catching her breath, she unsheathed her blade and joined into spar with her friend.

Lance and Scarlet were one of the few Captains to still stand clashing blades with Fina.

But Fina, where that amount of stamina she had?

She was still in her royal dress, but she managed to wield her dual swords with ease even in the flowy gown, no armour or her own royal warrior uniform.

In fact, she could switch and side-stepped without people noticing with her gown. She was more unpredictable in dress.

For first timer, they would think this feat was impossible, especially for a petite princess such as Fina.

But this was common, excpected of as the Ruler of the SIlverstorm Kingdom.

And none of the Warriors here were holding back, they went all-out but still rendered defeat.

And Scarlet and Lance lost their grasp on their sword as Fina swung and twirled till she kicked their hold on of the swords.

Both Captains were wheezing. There were too many movements, they couldn't keep up.

And as Scarlet and Lance slowly took their place in the spectator seats, they awaited for the next round Fina would duel. The Assistant Generals and then the Generals.

Honestly, most of the Warriors were distracted with awe as their Princess wielded and strode with her swords in both hands, until Scarlet heard Lance was teasing the other Captain besides them why their scoreboard being blank.

She quickly brought her scoring board closer to her chest.

"No peeking", she hissed when Lance turned to her.

She focused her eyes on the Princess, trying to chase Fina's footwork and wrist movement. But it was fast.

Just how much did Fina practiced this.

But the most awestruck moment was when Fina dueled with General Homes and General Collins.

Some might argue that the Generals had the upper hand since they had stamina spared since they didn't need to spar with others in the beginning.

But that was how it always been the training session for the royals.

On the contrary, it was a handicap for the Generals and below. Because King Elias asked for this.

He created this session during his younger warring days.

When Scarlet thought of the truth behind this session, that this foundation built upon the King's last desperation of hope to find a slim chance of victory, she could imagine a young handsome King battered and bruised, possibly ordering his warriors to keep sparring with him until his form bent and perfected.

And apparently his sole heir intended to maintain this tradition.

How fragile was peace for the Silverstorm to keep on sharpening themselves like these?

Fina had started to show her panting when she began dueling with Homes and Collins. She had already felt tired during her rounds with the Assistant Generals, but she managed to control her breath.

And for Fina, it seemed all her Captains and Assistant Generals had yet to best her. Although besting the Captains were a simple dance to her, it seemed as she mentally noted herself, she needed to work more on stamina and skills to undermine the Generals level.

Even so she managed to outwit other Generals except the remaining ones were Collins and Homes.

Her arms were growing strained holding onto her inherited swords.

She envied at times of Scarlet. Her sword was custom-made, lightweight and smaller, not bulky as these ancient heirlooms of hers. Possibly passed down to men and even if there were female rulers before her who held onto these swords, she bet her level of frequency of using these swords were far ahead than her ancestors. Could she modify them? She managed a thought.

Maybe Scarlet should've paid more attention in her dancing lessons, a small regret washed over the Lady Captain as she remembered her childish days with Fina. But then the thought of being lectured and scolded by their teacher was more irritating than facing Collins.

The clanking of a sword resounded. Then two.

Fina's sword dropped to the ground just as she had stretched out almost towards Homes' chin.

She had cramped her arm, both of them. As the one stretched behind hers towards Collins' abdomen could not touch his armor.

With that General Homes and General Collins ended Fina's session, "Would you like to forfeit, Your Highness?" Sir Homes said it gently.

He even took the Princess's hand, and slowly eased her to a stand.

"Reluctantly, I will withdraw for today", Fina sighed but she was not dampened.

Even in loss, she remained dignified, she stood and slowly limped her way to her station, made for her.

A few maidservants were ready to attend to her.

And as she settled, a representative collected the Warriors' commentary on her performance.

After the reflection, they adjourned and by the meantime, Scarlet realized it was very late.

But still, they had promised Lydia!

The years in the battlefield should alert her enough, even though being in the castle lately may had spoiled her.

Hence, Scarlet managed to arrive just in time before Lydia's mock trial.

It seemed after enrolling into the Institute, Lady Lydia, their dear companion, had found a new dream, a new ambition – to become a jurisconsult. A jurisconsult in the court, defending the weak and the wrongly accused.

And at the front door, they saw Lydia wheeled herself in with a couple of her classmates.

Fina waved at their friend, albeit too excitedly much to Scarlet's chagrin.

"Fina, we're supposed to blend in", she whispered harshly.

But then she noticed something else too. In another corner, in the middle row, she saw one, two, three...six common clothed people whom she recognized, all too well.

She saw the six familiar men turned their backs; eyes widened in recognition at their presence far behind them.

Fina waved as well.

But the suitors who were aware Scarlet was besides the Princess and eyeing them, tried to maintain their smiles and gulp, even if she could not possibly see their throats bobbed from afar. Probably.

Scarlet would let Officer Lucas slide since Lydia might had invited him but the other suitors.

Not to mention all of them here, even the stubborn Princeling Dylan. There was only one explanation.

"Fina, did you invite them as well?"

****

Lydia was easily surrounded by her peers around, they were conversing with her, mostly Lydia seemed to guide them through the books they were showing her, possibly going through the questions.

Scarlet was reminded of her days in the academy, she may not have the same amount of people crowding around her, but the few ones around her were just as eager in learning and kind towards her. However, she had to lose them too soon.

She graduated first ahead of them and when she reunited with her academy peers in their early barracks, how short-lived her happiness with her first men and instead what were left were sorrow and guilt - of her coming up with the strategy and her poor execution which she still felt caused her comrades' demise.

It ate her up slowly, simmering into a fuel of honing herself and her men into perfection. Until she and her men became the Special Unit today.

Lydia was delighted Scarlet and Fina could make it to one of her mock trial sessions. She had been attracted to poetry and speeches but somehow she was enchanted seeing how men and women could use speeches to argue and fight, to debate without bloodshed itself and yet could cause blood spilled if uttered wrongly and rendered the person spoken of to face doom or freedom.

Words that could sway the hearts of people. And cause war.

And seeing Scarlet and Fina working to their bones for the Kingdom's prosperity, she wanted in her own way to do something. To do something worthwhile.

To help.

She may not be able to save lives the way Scarlet and Fina had done to many people, especially people like her whose hope almost lost in the greed and ruthlessness of rachet men. But she hoped at least her words, her voice would create a ripple, if not, a wave.

Entered another person, all eyes were on him, including the Princess and the Lady Captain.

A maroon cloak among the vast blue, a face that reminded of Fina and Scarlet of a certain Warrior General they were always at odds with.

First Scholar Frederick graced the room he entered. Easily, he commanded the attention of the people, even if he wished to remain invisible.

He saw Lady Lydia and gave a small smile. Other students greeted him, mainly coming from the maidens pursuing their studies here. But even elder common folks who came to observe whispered in appreciative tones of the charisma of the son of General Collins.

He took a seat besides Lydia.

Seemed he would be playing the persecuted victim, Scarlet noted. Interesting.

Then, came in their teacher, dark-cloaked, who would act as the judge in this event.

Once the rest of the key persons were present, the timer pressed the bell and the floor was now open.

Lady Lydia cleared her throat.

The case was about the accused, Frederick, a commonfolk miner in a quarry, suspected as causing injury to the son of the lord of the mining business of the area. The defense was another Scholar in blue robe, Lydia's classmate. He was playing as the father of the claimed injured son – the Mining Lord.

The two disguised young ladies leaned forward – listening, intrigued. After all, the case mirrored the ongoing case between merchant lords and nobles against their servants, especially when it came to those nobilities bestowed lands with rare resources abundant for the Kingdom.

At first glance, the words coming out of the Lord seemed legitimate. He claimed the miner had a disagreement with his son and as they were both alone, the miner punched his young Master, and they ended up brawling, which caused his son to have a broken nose and a few bruises on face.

But the issues ran deeper than the quarry itself.

And Lydia began.

"Your Honour, this particular mining business had won a new contract to excavate a particular land area, which so happens targeting the village area of the said miner, his home"

"Yes...we have stumbled upon negotiations targeting the village area..." the Lord answered, "Your point"

Scarlet almost tsked, even though this was an act to rile jurist, to rile her friend.

"Let me finish, sir", Lydia maintained eye contact, steady. "As a lord you could've evacuated and arranged your servants the proper logistic to move safely and securely, but your household didn't allocate for that even though you easily have the means. Instead, you wanted them to surrender their homes without consideration of where my client would be staying and sleeping, where would his wife and his children be sleeping and living in the coming cold"

"Your Honour, I'm a busy man, the fact of the matter is that the servant caused my son's injury, isn't his broken nose proof enough of the wrongdoings of the miner?"

"Seems to me you're using your son's injury to expedite my client's demise"

"Accusation!" the other Scholar turned to the teacher, the Judge.

The Judge merely nodded, "Lady Lydia".

"I'm getting there, Your Honour", Lydia did not bat an eyelash, she was not perturbed. "I would like to argue instead that the Lord and his son had plotted to injure my client beyond recovery. We have had experts traced back the source of the collapse of the quarry".

Everyone in the room was quiet. The suitors were in awe.

"The quarry was already old and risky to be working in, however your son arranged to meet my client at that location itself, and boring the news to evacuate his home at the last minute, of course my client was shocked and angry, but I guarantee you, he did not throw any punch at your son. You knew my client's temperament; anyone would be furious. So, for extra measure, you already ensured the old quarry had been further damaged that one fine movement, the railway works would collapse. And it did".

She took a breath.

"Your argument is absurd".

"More like your lies", Lydia managed a snark, as she flipped her notes. "But here's the thing, your son didn't make it out on time and instead was pulled through the rubble. As you can see that injury your son obtained was out of his own accident. Meanwhile, my client", Lydia gestured to Frederick and he stood up and uncloak himself and unfold his long sleeves and revealed the well-made make up of bruises and scars depicting the more injuries obtained by the suspect, "not only did he sustain injuries himself but also due to protecting your son, sir".

Some students covered their mouth, and some didn't realize they were gaping. The extent of the mock trial that been played out.

"Hmph, prove it to me".

"With pleasure", and Lydia pulled out one by one their evidences. Expert's report on the quarry's landscape, which parts were man-made disaster and natural. Medical reports on the impact of the injuries – the broken nose due to bigger impact than the miner's punch if he did exercise it. The worse-case scenario analysis of the son being fatally injured if the miner didn't shield his son.

Lydia's team had all calculated and figured out.

"Before I rest my case, Your Honour, I would like to point out", every eyes and ears upon the wheelbound-lady. Her posture upright, imposing even if she was confined, it did not make her any less threatening, her words slow and steady and true, "Though some have claimed slavery has ended, I have yet to believe in my own eyes. How could I? When my ears still hear about innocent men, women and children robbed off their homes, their monies, their lives and futures all to satisfy their Masters' unsated greed, only because that was the only way they could keep being alive, a life born into the world to be promised the wonders of it, but instead relegated to a mere primal need only to survive. Not to live but to survive. That their existence being exploited. This Kingdom had passed the Anti-Slavery and Human Exploitation Act ever since the war ended, lets see to it that we may not make light of our constitution and sovereignty".

Witnessing her companion's speech, there was a small fear looming inside Fina's heart. She glanced at the other one besides her, her friend's eyes focused on the session. They could've just chosen the mundane noble lady lifestyle, enjoying teas, dresses and gossips. And while they did attain these, they were far more fascinated and felt fulfilment in serving the Kingdom.

Fina clenched her dress. She didn't even actually save them. She was just a lonely Princess who was blessed with their loyalties and friendships towards her.

So to spill blood, sweats and tears over the cause of her Kingdom, she was thankful, delighted even. After all, she would feel less lonely with her companions by her side helping her to govern. Even though, she would've been content if they supported her from the sidelines, from the comfort of being noble ladies. She hadn't thanked her friends enough when they picked up their swords and using their voices and wits to make change.

But it also meant it would open floodgate to be targeted. And she would hate with a might if anything horrible were to happen to her Lady Companions.

As the trial ended, and the verdict revealed Lydia's case triumphed, the session came to an end. Students and the general public witnessing the mock trial started filing out, chatting animatedly along the way. For the most parts, everyone was awestruck by Lady Lydia's orating skills. And also, the departure from her usual soft-spoken demeanor.

The participants of the mock trial, including Lydia were still with their teacher.

Scarlet and Fina didn't follow the rest of the people exiting out.

While they were proud of their eldest friend, they couldn't shake off a small gnawing feeling.

Lydia seemed very friendly with Scholar Frederick of General Collins.

The two girls knew she would bound to face him since Lydia and Frederick were both Scholars but to be this close.

Why did Lydia never speak of or mention anything about the General's son?

"Let's not jump to conclusion", said Fina, almost to herself as well. "Lydia never mention about him at all. Does that mean he's not a threat?"

How easy it would be if Scarlet could dismiss him as that.

Honestly, she had yet to create a plan on anything regarding Collins' son, Frederick. She had prioritized other matters with the Battle Royale and the approaching expedition, that the task to find out about Frederick's morality being shoved to a backlog of her other tasks.

Well, if he could be pushed to the side, then, he could be non-threatening. For now.

"He will be if he does anything to Lydia", was all Scarlet could answer.

And eventually they left the room and waited for Lydia.

In which the suitors and Officer Lucas were already standing by outside.

Fina immediately smiled. "Oh, I almost forgot about them", she told Scarlet.

Scarlet contained a chuckle and shook her head. The suitors would be dampened if they'd known how little Fina thought of them.

As Fina and Scarlet made their way towards the suitors, Lydia emerged with Frederick behind pushing her wheelchair.

Officer Lucas was the first to approach his elder sister.

Frederick soon enough realized that Fina had guests of her own attended the session just now.

And they were the same people from the previous dinner he had.

Even, he could tell the light disguises of the Princess and Captain Scarlet. And the five suitors.

Maybe he should excuse himself.

He wasn't expecting them to be here. And he surely wasn't ready to face—

"Scarlet".

"Hm?" For a moment he was dazed. Then, he realized, "My apologies Lydia, I was thinking the research paper I mean to check—"

Lydia grinned, "Sure you do". Too late. She knew he went silent the moment he saw her friends and the suitors it seemed.

She didn't even say anything, but the mere mention of her Lady Captain friend caught his attention. She enjoyed teasing her senior.

He withheld from sighing. He should've known Lydia would mention her name. And he fell for it each time they met.

"Well I do have to take my leave Lydia, please enjoy the rest of your company and give my regards to them", composing what was left of his calm demeanor, he nodded towards Lucas and went the other direction, not greeting the Princess or any of her company.

Fina saw the exchange. She looked on Frederick's back.

As she approached Lydia, she playfully pouted, "Aw, I wish he could join us too". Lydia covered her laugh.

~~~~

Hello, as usual a lot of things due need to be said; 

-Happy Eid! even though it has been weeks passed, month of Syawal has even passed.

-Bear with me but the BScar Casts will get into the expedition, into new terrain, possibly meeting new people good and bad (huhu), I'm targetting the upcoming chapter, to finish off this First Arc

-I have also arranged this Beautiful Scar playlist, full of songs of 'epic-ish' and girl power themes, so I'll drop a link in the comments for those interested, could be useful who knows especially trying to go through the motions of life in this pandemic and putting up with my super slow updates. My current jams are Queen-Loren Gray; Royalty-Egzod, Neoni; Don't Care Crown-Fox Stevenson & Freedom-EMM, just to name a few.

-I also would like to take this opportunity to spread awareness on the current affairs we're facing especially the unfair and unjustness that are, unfortunately, still happening in this world, some of them, the Israel-Palestinian crisis, the Islamophobia and Asian American hate that are still there and other breeds of violence, racism and horrid things that are unfortunately manifesting further during this pandemic. Or it's due to the pandemic itself, the curtains unfold and reveal too much of the seeded hate that we have yet to eradicate. Please I urge in your own way, as fellow human to human, pick the right side. 

Yes, if any remember or watch Fantastic Beast:Crimes of Grindelwald, (spoiler beware) in the end, even Newt took a side. In this case, I hope we learn further and read up and eventually find the truth and choose what is right, fight for our brethren's human rights. 

Well, that took a dark turn but the truth hurts and often harder to swallow. But it must be done. Ignorance is bliss, what I won't know won't hurt me, but it's hurting and making other people suffer further. And deep down, our conscient would not be at ease, because we know it's wrong. 

On a brighter note, despites the pandemic blanketing with their dark evil veil on us, my faith in humanity is restored seeing various wonderful people, especially the youngs making stands and promoting kindness, helping and supporting each other. Even if a mere online chat with a friend from other places, the mere existence of someone being there for us in our lows is truly a blessing and comforting, and I hope in some ways this story and my writing can lift some of you all. I may not able to save but I hope at least I'm able to soothe the small crack or ache in your soul.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

180K 5.5K 35
Farren was told to never go beyond the borders that separated her town from the woodland. Hearing stories of people who cross the border and never co...
5.5K 476 33
[COMPLETED] The First book in The Legends of Sciana series. What if dragons existed? What if there was a magical island full of them in the middle of...
709 44 14
Scarlett Frost, a 15 year old girl lives alone in a remote town of clan less people, who hate her, believing that her dear family passed away. Soon...
1.9K 103 30
In a time where Kings and Queens ruled the lands, there was a man that went by the name of The Commander. He was strong and ruthless so ruthless that...