The Treehouse

By angelcakelove123

Despite the title, this isn't a story about a treehouse. This is a story about love. This is about two peopl... More

Welcome
Cast
Prologue
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y - T W O
T W E N T Y - T H R E E
T W E N T Y - F O U R
T W E N T Y - F I V E
T W E N T Y - S I X
T W E N T Y - S E V E N
T W E N T Y - E I G H T
T W E N T Y - N I N E
T H I R T Y
T H I R T Y - O N E
T H I R T Y - T W O
T H I R T Y - T H R E E
Author's Note

T W E N T Y - O N E

1K 52 8
By angelcakelove123

"Bye Myles," I called out one last time with a smile on my face before slipping into my house.

A sigh fell from my lips happy to be home, happy that the weekend has finally begun.

Slipping off my shoes at the entrance I dropped my bag by the door, my stomach rumbling from hunger.

I begin to make my way to the kitchen, but as I passed the entrance of the living room I felt my eyes widen in shock.

I couldn't believe what was before, more like whom.

There stood a man who I haven't seen in what felt like ages.

His rich dark skin, reflecting my own, his dark brown eyes shimmering with joy as his lips curled into a large smile at the sight of me, showcasing his pearly white teeth.

"Dad," I said remaining in my spot, my body in shock.

"Hey, Jay," He said happily.

The nickname reminding me of how he said seeing me dancing related to that of a bird. Soaring through the sky with grace and agility. 

He opened his arms wide, immediately I ran into his arms, throwing my arms around his neck as I hugged him tightly.

"Seems like someone missed me," He teased once we pulled away from each other, as I playfully glared at him.

"Don't worry Jay I missed you more. I hated being away from you, your sister, and your mother for so long," He said as peered down at me lovingly.

I haven't seen my father in so long. He's an amazing architecture and works for one of the top company's in California. His most recent project was building a new Marriot Hotel in Athens Greece, which caused him to be away for six months.

I dreadfully missed him around. My wasn't as lively without his corny dad jokes, childish pranks, fascinating stories, and beautifully skilled designs for his next project.

It was nice to have him back, and it was perfect timing as Nevah's wedding was just two days away.

"How was Gre-" I began to say but was cut off by the rumbling of my stomach, reminding me that I have yet to fill it.

My father laughed at the sound before stating how Nevah made snacks for us.

Moving into the kitchen I greeted Nevah with a hug, before thanking her for the delicious BLT sandwiches she made.

We sat around the kitchen island, listening to my father tell us about his time in Greece, even showing us pictures of the before and after of the hotel he helped design.

Nevah and I then went on to catch our father up on all the exciting news going on in our lives. 

Nevah not failing to give our father the latest update on Myles and I's relationship.

I tried to ignore the knowing look my father sent me, but I quickly changed the subject onto the wedding when the two of them began to bet on when I would admit my more than friendly feelings for Myles.

Which is never.

"How's your mother?" My father asked as Nevah began to prep dinner.

Nevah turned her head in my direction a smirk forming on her face.

My father and mother were high school sweethearts, madly in love with one other. 

Seeing their love for one another made me believe in soulmates.

For over ten years they were a happy couple and having Nevah and I added more joy to their life.

However, things began to take a toll on their marriage.

Once my father was promoted to a higher position as a lead designer in his company it caused him to travel all the time for his work.

Similarly, my mother was promoted to a nurse manager at her hospital and it caused her to work longer hours.

This cause a lot of arguments between the two, as they felt that the other was putting their work above their partner and they barely saw the other.

After seeing how their constant fights were affecting Nevah and I, they decided to file for a divorce when I was seven.

My father soon moved out but made sure to spend time with Nevah and me frequently as my mother and him remained friends throughout the years.

Before I could answer his question we heard the front door open.

"I'm home!" I heard my mother call out, making a large smile appear on my father's face.

Once again Nevah and I sent each other knowing looks after seeing his reaction.

"Nevah? Jesse? Where are you guys?" She said curiously.

"We're in the kitchen," I responded before hearing her footsteps make their way over to the kitchen.

"Hey, who's car is parked out in the front?" Was the first thing she said before her eyes fell upon my father.

"Wale, you're back." She said her lips parting in shock.

"Hey, Adeola," He said his smile widening at the sight of my mother as he went to stand in front of her.

Slowly a smile that reflected my father's formed on my mother's face.

"C'mere," He said opening his arms.

Stepping forward my mother sank into my father's arms as a sigh of relief fell from her lips.

Her head was curled up in the nook of his neck, her arms wound tightly around his waist. My father's arms were wrapped just as tight around my mother as his head laid on top of hers.

Nevah and I looked at the two of them with gentle smiles, knowing how much they missed one another.

Even after all these years, the divorce has yet to be finalized, both of them making petty excuses on why they haven't.

The fact of the matter is that they haven't moved on from the other. I mean neither of them has dated anyone these last couple of years.

It was obvious that the two of them were still in love with one another. 

Every time they were around each other it seemed like they were in their own world. 

Their smiles are bright-eyed and their eyes gleaming with joy.

However, when they are apart you can tell they are both affected by it, their eyes not shinning like they once did when they are with each other.

Nevah and I think they should confess that neither of them genuinely want a divorce and want to work things out again, but both of them are too scared to make the first move. 

Neither of them saw the point either, especially since my father was still traveling frequently, and my mother worked long hours. 

"It's great to see you," My father said as they pulled away from each other.

He looked at my mother with pure adoration was beautiful.

"You too Wale," My mother replied her expression soft as she gazed at him.

With a slight cough, the two of them looked over at Nevah and me noticing that they weren't the only ones in the room.

"Hey, you two!" My mom said slightly embarrassed, before moving over to give Nevah and I a hug.

Nevah then suggested that we should all cook dinner together like we did when we were younger, immediately we all agreed.

A large grin made its way on my face the rest of the night, as laughter rang out in the kitchen, happy to be spending time with my family.

Once the food was ready we all gather around the dining table to eat.

After we said grace and prayed over our food, we began to dig in.

"So, I have some exciting news, I didn't want to mention it until your mother got home, "My father said causing our attention to turn to him.

He reached his hand over the table, placing his hand over our mother's. I watched as she intertwined his hands with her own.

"What is it?" My mother said as she squeezed his hand in encouragement.

The interaction not going unnoticed by Nevah and me.

"I recently got promoted as head of the company," He said a smile growing on his face.

"Congrats, Wale, that's huge!" My mother said proudly before Nevah and I followed suit.

"Thank you," He replied gratefully for our support.

"But, that isn't the best part," He continued

"With me being head of the company, it's mean I won't be traveling as much as I did before. I will now be permanently living in California," He finished his smile widening as we stared at him wide-eyed.

"That's great news dad!" This time I was the first one to congratulate him.

Ecstatic smiles grew on Nevah and I's faces happy that we'll see our father a lot more now.

"You're gonna be around more," My mother said her tone filled with hope.

"Yes," He said gazing at her gently.

"This is where my family is and it's time I stop putting my work above the ones I love," He said with a bit of guilt, though there was determination in his eyes.

The smile that bloomed on my mother's face, affirmed that things were going to change very soon between the two of them.

And I had no doubt that it would be for the good.

___

"Five minutes until the bride walks the aisle!" 

The wedding planner called out as she peeked into the bridal suite.

"You make a beautiful bride," She said before going on with ensuring everything is perfect.

"She's right, you look absolutely stunning darling," My mother said tears shining in her eyes.

I nodded in agreement as I gaze at Nevah in awe.

The sweetheart neckline elongated her neck, the lace beading on the dress sparkling in the light, matching the tear-drop diamond necklace she wore on her neck. 

The dress cinched at her waist before, the dress molding to every inch of her body before falling down to the ground gracefully, where an embezzled train trails behind.

The dress was beautiful, but what really stood out was the bride, who looked gorgeous.

Nevah kept her look to a natural glam, her face glowing as a beautiful smile graced her face.

Her hair was pinned back in a low bun as a stunning tiara graced the top of her head.

She looked like a queen

"Stop mom, if you cry then I will cry," Nevah teased though I can see that she was beginning to get a bit emotional.

"Sorry, sorry, you're right," My mother said as she began to fan her face hoping her tears would go away.

"You've just grown into such an incredible woman and I'm proud to call you my daughter," My mother said before pulling Nevah into a hug.

I watched the two with joy before they beckoned for me to join in.

"Wow," We heard someone said from behind us making us pull apart.

There stood my father who had an awestruck look on his face.

"My little girl is all grown up," He said with a gentle smile, his eyes glimmering with tears as he stepped closer to her.

"You look beautiful, my sweet angel," My father said before putting out his arm for her to take.

"Thank you, daddy," Nevah whispered returning his smile.

"It's time!" The wedding planner said as she came back around.

"Guess it's time for me to go," I announced before turning to look at Nevah.

"No one can look more stunning than you do now Nevah, Noah is truly lucky to have you," I whispered gently to her, before giving her one last hug.

I left the room promising to see them soon.

I took my place in front of the bridesmaids making sure to greet them on my way.

The grand doors opened just as the music began to play.

With a deep breath, I began to make my way down the aisle.

A large smile made its way onto my face as I looked at all my family and friends who were here for such a momentous occasion.

At the end of the aisle, I saw Noah who looked very handsome in his suit. 

He wore a large smile on his face, happy to finally make the love of his life his wife.

As I took my spot, my eyes wander around the room until they landed on a pair of familiar grey eyes.

The smile I wore widen at the sight of Myles.

My breath was almost knocked out of my lungs, when I took in the grey tux he wore that fitted him perfectly, a tie that matched the color of my dress adorning his neck.

You look gorgeous

He mouthed to me a smile blossoming on his face.

An inhale of a sharp breath near me made me turned my head in the direction of the aisle.

There stood Nevah who was making her way down the aisle, a large grin on her face as everyone looked at the beautiful bride in awe.

The reaction I loved the most was Noah's, who already had tears rolling down his face as stared at Nevah lovingly, his smile only growing at the sight of her.

"Take good care of her son," My father whispered to Noah as he began to hand Nevah over.

"Always sir," Noah replied without hesitation as my father nodded in approval.

"I love you," was the last thing my father said to Nevah, planting a kiss on her forehead before moving over to sit beside my mother.

I watched as Noah took Nevah's hands into his own, the both of them entranced by the other.

"No words can describe how breathtaking you look right now," Noah said softly staring at Nevah like she was the only woman in the world, and to him she was.

"Today, we gather together for the matrimony of Noah Hale and Nevah Montogomery."

 ___

The wedding ceremony went by smoothly and before you knew it we were introducing the new husband and wife.

Of course, a couple of tears were shed as I couldn't be anymore happier for two of the most important people in my life.

It was now the reception and everyone was dancing to their heart's content, making sure to congratulate and bless the newly wedded couple.

After chatting with my relatives who came into town I began to search for Myles.

Few minutes into my search I felt arms wrap around my waist pulling close into a chest.

From the familiar smell of creed aventus that filled my lungs I knew it was Myles.

Turning in his arms my eyes met his, a smile gracing his face as he peered down at me.

I tried to ignore the butterflies that swarmed my stomach as my arms wrapped around his neck causing him to tighten his hold on me.

"Hi," I said breathlessly with a shy smile.

"Hi," He replied back his eyes taking in my appearance

"You look," He began to say looking for the right words to say.

"Captivating," He said, a soft laugh leaving my lips at his choice of words.

"I'm being serious! I couldn't keep my eyes off you," He said his tone seriously.

"I still can't," He continued onto say as I ducked my head in embarrassment.

Any more compliments and I'm sure I would faint with the way my heart is racing.

"Thank you, you look pretty good yourself," I complimented as I played with the tip of his tie.

Booming laughter from the left of me caused my head to turn in the direction of the happy couple.

Both Nevah and Noah had cake smeared on their face, though they could care less. Their eyes shining with joy and their laughter hearty.

"One day, I hope to have what they have," I said as we both peered at the happy couple.

"Me too," Myles said, but from the corner of my eye, I saw that he was now looking at me with an emotion I couldn't detect.

My eyes wandered to the dance floor where many couples were dancing, one particular couple standing out.

I watched as my father twirled my mother around, before dipping her to the floor. 

The two of them wore large grins as they danced around the room.

"Wanna dance?" Myles asked, clearly seeing my longing to join the dance floor.

"Yes," I replied with a smile before we made our way to the middle.

As soon as we hit the floor, a slow song began to play.

My head nestled in his chest, a content smile on my face, loving the feeling of being in his arms.

A shiver ran down my spine as his breath hit the crook of my neck, his hands settled on my lower back, holding me close.

"I'm really glad you taught me how to dance, or I would've surely embarrassed myself," Myles whispered gently into my ear making me laugh.

Joining me his chest vibrated from laughter.

"However, I would love to have a few more sessions," He said causing me to lift my head from his chest to see a cheeky grin on his face.

"And why is that?" I asked raising my brow at him.

"Let's just say that I really like my dance instructor," He said and I couldn't help the cheesy grin that appeared on my face.

"I guess we can fit in more sessions then," I replied causing him to smile.

Myles then went to spin me around before pulling me back into his chest.

For a few more minutes we danced with one other, enjoying each other's embrace.

"Hey Jesse, can I ask you something?" Myles said breaking the silence.

"Anything," I said without hesitation as I lifted my head to look at him.

"As you know the trial is in just in a few days," He began to say as I nodded in response.

I still remember when Myles called me that same night he told William he'll be testifying in court.

I'm so proud of him, what he's doing isn't easy.

But, what I admire about Myles is that he is a fighter, and he fights for those he loves.

"I was wondering if you would come," He finished off, running a hand through his hair indicating that he was nervous.

"Of course I'll be there, there is nowhere else I'd rather be, but by your side," I replied instantly making him release a breath of relief.

A beat passed as Myles stared at me in awe, not knowing what to say.

"Thank you, I don't know what I did to deserve you," Myles whispered gently before pulling me to a tight hug.

I hugged him back just as tightly, letting him know that I was here for him and will support him every step of the way.

I'm not going anywhere.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 112 11
Status: Complete Beautiful and passionate boss lady as I'm, I never thought one's love will make me frail. It wasn't a love at first sight as they sa...
28K 845 16
*A SHORT WINTER ROMANCE* .⋅ ۵♡۵ ⋅. 𝐁𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐞 𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐬 and 𝐏𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐖𝐞𝐬𝐭 used to be best friends. Until Bonnie's parents decided to mo...
6.1K 304 41
She's a dancer, an artist and a follower. He's a fighter, a drinker and a leader. Both have one thing in common though; tragedies. ~ When both of th...
4.4M 101K 49
Dakota is just like every other 17 year old high school senior. Or that's what everyone thinks. Everyone sees Dakota as this funny, sarcastic, and...