Surviving | grey's anatomy

By FiorraCavazza

"You know I used to love working here...good memories, seeing my friends who are my second family. And now? N... More

Intro
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
Season 3
18
19
20
21
22
23
Preview
25.1
25.2
Author note
I'm back
You're gonna hate me
26
27
Thank you!

24

3.4K 132 9
By FiorraCavazza

„Preston Burke. Post-op day one from an I and D of a compressive hematoma to the brachoplexus. He is afebrile and vital signs are stable over night. His incisions are clean with not signs of infection. Last morphine was given at 2 this morning." Eve presents being proud of herself for not having to look at the chart.

Without warning she's harshly pinched by her arm, making her let out a little squeak pulling all eyes on her.

„I apologize..." she whispers with a red face before turning to Cristina was a harsh look.

„Ask about the hand." Cristina whispers nodding her head toward Burke who's watching with interest not paying attention to what is being said.

„Ask him yourself. You're a big girl." Eve whispers back, smirking at Cristina raising her brows before quickly turning back around.

„It's just one question..." 

„Dr. Yang, something you want to share with the rest of us? Bailey asks sarcastically pursing her lips.

Cristina quickly shakes her head and takes a step back. 

„No ma'am. Sorry." 

Derek smiles at Burke. „Looks good, Preston. Take it easy on the nurses." he jokes before handing Eve the chart who's on his service today.

...

Eve jogs over to the lab tech handing him the file with a bright smile.

„Hey Chris could you run these labs for me please?"

The lab tech smiles warmly back at her  nodding „sure thing Eve give me a sec." before turning away.

Eve starts humming a song turning around only to see Cristina and Meredith look at her shocked.

She comes closer raising a confused brow. „And you're staring because..."

„Why is he so nice to you? He gave me an attitude. He always gives us an attitude." Cristina grunts crossing her arms across her chest.

Eve gives her a smirk. „Cristina honey it's because I'm nice and say please." she chuckles patting the Koran's back before turning to her blonde friend.

„Hey Mer you alright? The whole dad thing's still messing with you huh?" Eve gives her a comforting look.

Meredith huffs. No point in hiding from Eve... she notices immediately.

„I just wish that the baby would get well and go home and thatcher would go with her. Is that wrong?" Meredith asks desperately looking at Cristina and Eve for help.

Eve frowns putting her hands on her hips shaking her head simultaneously with Cristina who shrugs.

„Wrong would be if you wished the baby wouldn't get well." she says making Eve nod in agreement.

„Yeah definitely for that you would go to hell." she add nodding making Cristina wiggle a agreeing finger at her.

„Okay. Good. Thanks." Meredith nods rubbing her hands together nervously. Her dad being here really isn't a good thing.

„you know if you wanted to thank me, you could ask Derek if Burke has had any tremors." Cristina tells her giving them an innocent look making Eve sigh. 

"You are so stubborn..." she mumbles making Cristina give her a raised brow.

"Talk to him!" Meredith sighs exhausted.

Cristina rolls her eyes crossing her arms defensively. "No, cause then he wins."

Eve furrows her brows. "Wins what exactly?" 

"Forget it." Cristina mumbles as Eve's pager rings signaling that she has to leave.

...

"Good Morning dr. Sloan." Eve greets with a warm smile grabbing a chart from the nurse station.

"Dr. Lee." Is all he says back not even glancing at her.

Thus makes Eve halt in her move.  Dr. Lee?

"Are you alright?" Eve asks quietly looking w the man concerned who just sighs.

He closes the chart before turning to her giving the brunette a small very fake smile. "I'm great." He sarcastically says before rolling his eyes walking away.

He does feel slightly bad for being that way with her but not today. Today he can't make himself care. It hurts too much.

Eve sighs sadly. Definitely not great. Definitely hurting.

...

Eve walks out of her patients room before quickly being joined by an eager Callie who grips her arm and pulls the brunette in a quiet corner startling the brunette.

"Wha-"

"You know Shepherd well right? I mean you almost always work with him." Callie asks making Eve look at her amused.

The corners of her lips tug up nodding. "Yeah... I guess I know him well... I mean he is sleeping with my best friend." She shrugs raising her brows.

Callie stares at her weirdly for a second. "Right... what's the best way to get him to do something?" She asks quietly.

Eve looks suspiciously at her friend. "What kind of something?" She asks slowly.

"A consult that the patient hasn't requested but that the friendly neighborhood ortho thinks is worth pursuing." Callie explains handing Eve the charts from the girl they saw this morning.

"Hmhm Heather..." she mumbles guiltily before handing Callie back the charts putting her hands in her coat pockets.

"Shepherd thinks he's busier and more important than everyone else." Eve starts making Callie nod understandingly.

"Standard neurosurgeon breed." She Stress making Eve hold. If she really pursues becoming a neurosurgeon she really hopes people at snot gonna say the same about her. Not that plastics would give her a better image.

"So..." Callie starts.

"So he'll say no until you stare him down." Eve explains staring at Callie intensely.

"Stare him down?" Callie asks feeling slightly disgruntled by Eve sudden stare.

Slowly the small brunette nods. "Stare him down." She whispers.

Callie laughs before realizing Eve is being serious. Her eyes try to avoid Eve's intense stare. "Staring." Eve whispers raising a brow for emphasis.

Giving Eve one last weirded out look she quickly leave the brunette who in return stars smirking. 

"Yeah... stare him down." She whispers to herself.

...

The next day Eve is standing at the nurse station laughing at Tyler's story nodding along when their attention is pulled away by a yelling mark.

"What the hell is this Karev? Vanilla? Are you trying to poison me? Or are you just trying to make my day a little bit worse?" He yells making Eve furrow her brows. What's up with him? Yesterday he was so quiet even when she walked past him not comment or anything. She's worried

"You know if you can't handle coffee, you can't handle plastics. Maybe you ought to head back to the genie squad where life was all pink and squishy." Is all mark says before storming away.

Tyler let's put a low whistle. "He's not having a good time." He whispers making a confused Eve nod in agreement. 

"Yeah... definitely not a good time." She mumbles.

...

"Hello dr. Sloan." Eve greets once again smiling at him warmly.

Mark is a little confused. She's still nice to him even though he gave her an attitude yesterday?

"Dr. Lee." He mumbles before wanting to walk away making her grab his arm shocking both of them. 

Both looking at each other with slightly startled  eyes. Eve because she just dared to grab her boss like that and him because of the warmth he immediately feels. That's certainly hasn't happened before.

Quickly she lets go. "I apologize." She whispers lowering her head.

Mark stares for another moment before nodding and walking away.

"What the hell?" Eve whispers shaking her head at herself. "Idiot." She whispers angrily before returning to her work.

...

Eve sees George pacing in the empty hall. She knows today is his dads surgeon. More like right now.

"Georgie..." Eve whispers not wanting to scare him. 

He halt's but doesn't turn to look at the brunette. "It been a while since they went in." He mumbles making Eve gulp.

Slowly she walks over to him moving to grip his right hand softly. When their hands touch George lets out a loud sigh. As if something's been partly lifted off of him.

"They're being throughout Georgie. Don't worry." She whispers her thumb stroking the outside of his hand. 

"He's my dad." George whispers his voice shaking. He doesn't want to be scared. He wants to be strong. Like the superheroes but right now? He feels alone. And so weak.

"I know." Eve whispers before slowly moving in front of him. 

He glances up at her his eyes glossy. 

Slowly she moves trying to hug him waiting for him to stop her. When he doesn't she fulfills her movement pulling George into a hug. Him in return sobbing gripping the brunette tightly.

His hands are shaking from how hard he's gripping her shirt.

As he's sobbing quietly into her shoulder Eve just holds him. Stroking his hair. No words have to be said. They both know... they know without having to say it. 

"It's okay George." Is all she says while holding him just as tightly. 

...

Eve yawns walking out of the hospital when she sees Mark leaning against a pole just staring straight ahead. The brunette frowns. 

Clearing her throat Eve takes a deep breath before walking over. Just this once she thinks to herself. 

Startling the man she comes to a halt on the other side of the pole leaning against it as well. 

Both just stare ahead. 

"You're not okay..." Eve whispers her eyes not diverting from staring at the bench. 

Mark sighs lowering his head ready to tell her to let it go.

"You don't have to tell me but... you should know that I worry." Eve says the last thing a little more quiet not wanting to overstep a line.

Mark glances at Eve for a second before turning to look forward again. She worries? About me? He thinks not really understanding why it feels nice to hear that.

She inhales. "And if you need someone to talk to... you can." She whispers. 

It's silent. The only thing being heard is the slight rain falling down onto the floor.

After a few minutes Eve nods to herself. He doesn't want to talk. That's fine. 

"Goodnight dr. Sloan." She whispers before pushing herself off of the pole moving to walk away.

"Do you think I could be a good father?" He suddenly blurts out making Eve halt in the middle of the rain.

Slowly she turns around with a questioning look. He just looks at her his face vulnerable. She gets the feeling that he doesn't wanna elaborate yet.

Eve walks back over to him. He watches her face closely. The brunette gives him a warm look not caring about the fact that she's still partly standing in the rain.

"I believe that anybody can be a good father if they want to." She starts before thinking back to what her mother once told her when she was young.

"When my dad found out that my mom was pregnant with me he didn't know what to do. He never really thought about kids and he was a little bit of a player back then." She pauses before slightly smiling. Before looking at mark who's already staring at her.

"But my mom told me she wasn't worried about my dad. She said she knew she wanted to be with him and him with her. And she wasn't worried about the pregnancy because she knew that if my dad wanted this. He could do it. Everyone if capable of being a good father or mother... if they want to." Eve concludes looking into the sad blue eyes of Mark Sloan. 

The man just stares. She believes I could have been. Is all he thinks. He feels vulnerable under Eve's gaze. Her being so honest with him. He didn't expect to her that she believes in him. He really didn't.

"Addison was pregnant back when we were together. She aborted. Today would've been the due date. She told me I would've been a horrible father." He mumbles in one go pushing off of the pole taking of his jacket and walking into the rain holding his jacket above Eve's head. 

Eve sighs smiling at him nodding understandingly. "Well Mark... I believe you would've been an amazing father. I can see it. You just haven't gotten the chance to prove it yet." She tells him quietly biting her lower lip while smiling.

Mark smiling back a faint smile subconsciously. Both stare at each other for a minute not saying anything.

"I have to go." Eve breaks the silence before nodding at the jacket in a thanking manner before turning to walk away.

Before she can completely leave his sight though she hears him yelling for her.

"How's you know I was sad?" He yells his curiosity eating away at him.

Eve laughs. "You called me dr. Lee. You never do that... Mark." She smiles putting more emphasis on his name making the man feel warm all over although he's standing in the rain. 

He doesn't know what it is but everything about Eve is mesmerizing him. He always feels like he could stare at her anytime of the day. Nothing could take his attention away from the brunette. 

That is all he thinks as she pulls out of the parking lot with her car.

________

A little shorter chapter but i want to built a bit more character and a bit of the story. 

Always thanks for reading!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 160 10
As a young girl Sarah always wanted to help people, so she took a career being a doctor. Being on the top of her class and getting a quick start with...
1.5M 27.1K 156
Fresh from a divorce from Plastic Surgeon Mark Sloan, Sky Rivers finds a new start at Seattle Grace Memorial Hospital. But the past eventually catche...
2.4K 118 13
Fem!OC x Alex Karev Fem!OC x Mark Sloan Fem!OC x Male!OC Season 1 - ?? (Started: february 2024) Nadine O'Malley always wanted to be a surgeon, she di...