Fire

By contosurrera

When you are a child people are always asking you "what will you be when you grow up?". Most of them know, o... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 11

552 34 9
By contosurrera

Andy really was the best person to take over the station ever.  The fire commissioner came up with a huge list of equipment and entry methods that needed to be tested and that no other station had been available for that.  According to them, it was very dangerous, they needed a guarantee that it wouldn't affect any of their people.  Andy readily accepted the task of testing everything for all stations and even said he would go to each of them, show that there was no reason not to use the equipment.  By now, they were all gathered in the cafeteria, drinking coffee, after Andy had tried out a new ax that promised to open stuck doors with as little effort and time as possible.

“This thing is really going to come in handy.  I don't understand what people's fear is, they will test inside the station, there is no danger.”  - Andy said.  But the truth was, there wasn't much she was afraid of.

“We were face to face with a bear, Andy.  And you weren't afraid.  I think your definition of fear is different from the world." -Gibson said laughing.

"It's not about this.  It's about... keeping your cool.  Lives depend on us, we won't help if we continue with equipment that doesn't work and someone needs to test it.”

“It's hard to keep your cool with a bear that can eat you.” -Gibson always tried to change the air from a conversation to a joke.

Andy laughed at that comment as did everyone around the table.  Robert  kept watching every step she took.  She had just showered.  She looked amazing anyway, even in those huge sweatpants and her wet hair.  It was a vision he would like to see until the end of his days.  Amidst the side conversations they were having, Travis put a song on his cell phone and asked Andy to dance.  It was amazing the lightness and precision of the movements of that woman, it seemed to be very easy to do the same as her.  Travis could prove he wasn't, he was more lost than blind in gunfire.

"So you're the famous Andrea Herrera?"  -everyone stopped what they were doing and turned their attention to that man who seemed to know Andy very well- "I didn't expect to meet the most famous captain of the corporation that way."  -he was smiling too looking at her.

"I'm sorry, do we know each other?"  Andy asked in total confusion for not recognizing that face.

“I don't think you know me yet, you avoided this meeting for a long time, Captain Herrera.  You saved my life in that weapons factory.”  - said the man Andy had saved in that fire that cost her a lot and not just her.

"I wasn't avoiding anything, I was just recovering from what happened..."

"And I see you did it very well."

Andy didn't know if he understood very well that phrase accompanied by that smile- "Haven't you told me your name and why you came here?"

“My name is Matthew Casey, I'm captain of season 51. I hope not for too long.  I came to thank you for saving my life and to extend an invitation to you.”

"An invitation?  What invitation?"

“I want you to be captain of station 51. I've been hearing amazing things about you forever.  How I helped your father run this station, how each of you was shaped for amazing things.  Everyone here has an impressive future ahead of them.  I know you've just become captain of where you've always wanted to, but it's not every season that you get the opportunity to work with someone as amazing as you or anyone around here.  I'm leaving and needed to hand over my house to someone I really trust.  That day, even if I didn't survive, I wish 51 had someone like you..."

"Wow, Captain. Very tempting your proposal."  -Andy really found an incredible opportunity.

"Not as much as you."  -maybe he said it in a tone that Andy was not supposed to have heard.  Was he really flirting with her?

"Nice of you, Captain."

"Maybe one of these days, we can go out together. What do you think?"

"Sounds good to me."

"Could you give me your contact? It would make it easier to locate you."

"Absolutely, Captain."  -Andy gave his contact to him, not least because he didn't see any problem.

"You know, you don't have to call me captain. For you, Matthew is enough."

"Alright…Matthew. We'll meet soon."

"I'm looking forward to it. Now I have to go. Have a nice day, Herrera."  -he came out and kissed her cheek, close enough to her lips.  It can be said that Andy liked it.  He is very attractive...

To say that Robert was feeling jealous of the interaction Andy was having with that guy was an understatement.  His subconscious would have already done things he would later regret.  Keep calm.  That's what he had to try to do.
Despair... was what seized him when Andy was considering this guy's proposal.

Andy turned his attention to the team and noticed that everyone was looking at Robert with uncomfortable eyes.  As for him, she could tell there was smoke coming out of her ears she was so angry, so she kept acting as if nothing had happened.  She was actually thinking about considering that request.  Maybe leading another station would be good for her.  It would take her out of her comfort zone.  Obviously being at home was great, but maybe breathing new air was necessary for her career to take off.  Get out of sight a little...

“You're not really considering this, are you, Andy?” -Maya was the only one who had the nerve to ask that.

“Being captain of 19 has always been all I've wanted since I got here, Maya.  I saw how proud my father was and still is proud of this place.  He molded the best firefighters this town has ever seen.  There will never be another season as amazing as this one.  You and everyone here know this.  He's never been anywhere else, no one has ever had the chance to even learn the least bit of what he taught us.  Don't you think we owe it?  At least give it a chance to have other firefighters as competent as we are?  They get a chance to save more lives?  We can be the difference between someone living or dying at the hands of inexperienced firefighters...” -she never thought of leaving 19, but that possibility had never been presented, of teaching other people.

“There are other ways to teach other stations.  You don't have to leave.” -Jack seemed a little afraid to talk to her right now.

“We are exactly what we are because we had your father here and now we have you.  We are a system, a team.  We're not going to work if a part is missing...” -Miller hardly ever spoke about this kind of thing, when he did, it was really meant to give a reality check.

“I'm not leaving yet.  I need to think about it.  I can't just turn my back when people ask for my help.”

"We are asking for your help."  Vic said, joining the team to try to change her mind.

"That's not fair.  You can't do this to me... I can't choose between my family and anything else.”

"You can't go. We're your home. You need us and we need you. A lot."  Robert said, receiving a shy look from Andy.  Maybe it's shyness for hearing this from her "captain" so far- "We understand you want to find out what it's like to command outside the home, but we're a link. We need each other to evolve and if we're missing one, we lose strength. This is  something to think about a lot. Don't act out of emotion. Please."  - he concluded leaving the room, leaving everyone not knowing what else to do or say.  He hoped Andy would listen to him.

----------

A week had passed since Matthew's first appearance at the station.  Andy and he kept in touch during this period and the meeting was scheduled for that day.  She felt kind of excited, if you can say so.  He kindly told Andy to pick the location, so he picked a very famous restaurant in town that she really wanted to see.

It was around 5:00 pm when he was going to start getting ready, but there was a knock at the door.  Andy was stunned to think that her watch was late and that Matthew had already arrived.  She ran to answer it and…luckily or unfortunately, it was Robert.

"What are you doing here? Today is your day off, you don't have to take care of me."

"Today is my day off from the season, isn't it yours?"

"Whatever. I'm going upstairs to take a shower as I have an appointment in a little while."

"If you won't find me too invasive, may I know where?"

"Today I'm going out with Matthew. He'll drop by in a bit to pick me up."  -and in the blink of an eye, there was a sudden reversal in Robert's expression.  It was uncontrollable.

He was burning with jealousy.  He wasn't believing that his wife, in addition to not remembering him, was seeing another man and he didn't think it could get any worse.  Robert felt like he was some kind of joke to this universe.

The next few minutes were marked by him sitting on the couch.  Thoughts of him were running a mile a minute.
Would Andy enjoy hanging out with him?  Like him?  Sleep with him?  Fall in love with him?  Robert's insecurity made his hands sweat uncontrollably.  Calm down, Robert.  Not everything is lost.  She will remember.  He spoke this phrase over and over as a mantra.  It might help.
He was snapped out of my thoughts when there was a knock on the door.  Every second that passed, he felt like his chest was going to explode.  He opened the door.

"Hi, good night. Andy's house?"  -Matthew asked excitedly.  Of course Robert wanted to say no, but Andy would be pissed at him and having her pissed off is all he doesn't need right now.

"Yea."  -Robert saved his words.  Then they heard a noise coming from the stairs.  It was Andy wearing one of his favorite dresses.  The universe sure thought Robert was a joke.

"Hello guys" -Andy said and gave that guy a wink.  Seriously were they flirting in front of me?  Robert thought to himself.

"Hello, beautiful. Shall we go?"  -He certainly didn't know that guy standing in front of him was Andy's husband, because he wouldn't do that around Robert, would he?

"Absolutely. Robert, see you on shift and thanks for the company."

"You're welcome."

There was nothing else for him to do there but think about Andrea dating another guy.  So he decided to go home.  He needed to talk to someone who would listen, plus- "Hey Luke. Are you busy?"

"All the time for you, my friend. Why that sad voice?"

"Andy..." -sighed- "Andrea went on a date. With another... man."  -he could barely utter those words.

"All is not lost, Bob. She had an accident and lost her recent memories. I'm sure deep down inside she feels like there isn't one person who fills her heart but you."

"But what if she doesn't remember? It's been months and months and nothing has changed."

"Don't worry. She'll remember everything. It's a stressful and time-consuming process. You just need to be more patient."

"You're right. Thank you Luke. See you later."

Talking to his friend was always good.  Luke always found the right words that Robert needed to hear.  The advice given by his friend, made him more relaxed.  After hanging up the phone, he grabbed a photo album from the top of the shelf.  It was their wedding album- "I miss my girl so much."  he muttered to himself.

At the restaurant, Andy wondered if he really should have accepted that invitation.  Come to think of it now, she didn't know if she'd done it right.

"Are you okay Andy?"  Matthew asked as she looked at the menu.

"Yeah yeah, I'm fine. Just a little distracted. Can we order?"  -now she wanted to go away real quick.

"Of course. What do you want?"

"I think filet with Madeira sauce"

"I'll order the same" - he called the waiter and ordered.  The same removed the menus

Andy and Matthew chatted pleasantly about work.  He told her everything he had to know about his station.  Soon the orders arrived.

"I can't believe a woman as beautiful as you is still single"

"Well... I don't think I'm..." -Andy replied in a low voice and he didn't seem to hear.

"I could say goodbye to the corporation in style."  He put his hand on Andy's thigh, who instinctively jumped out of his chair.

"What are you doing?"  -It could only be a joke.

"I thought you wanted too..." -without giving him a chance to finish, she interrupted him.

"Dinner. That's what I wanted, but I completely lost my hunger. You can have your station. Have a good time!"  -she took her bag and left that place, calling for a taxi and going home.

On the way, she didn't know why, but she felt an overwhelming need to call Robert.

"Andy? Is there a problem?"  -It wasn't necessary for the cell phone to ring more than twice for him to answer.

"Yes. No...I'm going home. I wonder if you can...let it go. It's silly and I shouldn't be bothering you. Good night."  -before she could hang up, he interrupted her.

"Hey, hey, don't hang up. If you called me, I'm sure it's not silly. Speak up."  -Andy let all the air trapped in his lungs out.

"I'm going home, can you meet me there?"

"I arrive in 10"

And with that, their call was ended.  Robert went as fast as he could to Andy's house.  As was to be expected, he arrived before her and stayed in the living room waiting.  As soon as she heard the noise of a car engine stop, he walked towards the window.  And there she was.  Maybe a little less excited than before.  He opened the door for her to enter and the first thing she did was hug him.  Robert missed these moments so much.  This physical contact between them- "So... Are you going to tell me what happened?"  he asked without ever breaking the hug.

"I should have guessed before that he didn't just want dinner."

"Got it. So you left?"  - Robert questioned, containing to himself, the enormous satisfaction he felt for not having liked.

"Yea."

"Did you even have dinner?"

"No. I wanted to get rid of him quickly and left before dinner arrived."

"Okay. I'll prepare something for you."

After she ate, she noticed her lowered eyelids.  It was late- "It's late. I think you're tired. No?"

"Maybe"—she always answered him with maybe instead of yes.  Details that Robert loves about her.

"Come on. I'll take you to bed, then I'll leave."

"If that's okay with you, can you spend the night here with me?"

"If it will help you feel better…surely."

Andy was sleepy, so Robert helped her up the stairs and as soon as they lay down, Andy quickly snuggled up to him, laying his head on her chest as he stroked her hair and hugged her.  It looked so familiar to Andy.  She was starting to make sure she'd had other moments like this with him.  She felt peaceful around him.  Robert's embrace was like an armor that protected her from everything.  She felt safe around him and that was good.

"Sometimes I find myself wondering if I would make a different choice that day..."

"You know you wouldn't, Andy. Even if the guy is an asshole, it was still a life to be saved and you'd do it all, all over again."

"Maybe it could have taken a little longer."  -she smiled, just for him to be scared- "I wouldn't have forgotten about you. It's consuming me more and more. I feel like there's only one piece left of the puzzle, for everything to make sense, but I can't find it.  this piece."

"I know it's been hard, but you'll remember..."

By this time Andy was so close to Robert's face that she couldn't resist kissing him.  Hell, it was like tasting a candy she hadn't tasted in a long time.  The sensation... she had already felt it, continued in her body.  When she came to her senses about his action, she backed away quickly— "Damn, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that."  -Hey, Andy.  What were you thinking? she thought to herself.

"You do not need to apologize."

He remembered her, only in her mind, it was wrong that she didn't remember him- “It was something I didn't think about.  I think you better go home, I'm sorry I made you come here.”

"Are you sure you want me to go?"

"It's better, before everything gets any weirder."

“If you need me anytime, just call me.  I'm a phone call away and I'm on time.”  -Robert took his things and left.  That had been weirdly good.  Maybe it would help her remember her past.  Who knows, she wouldn't wake up remembering everything?  It was very unlikely, except that she liked to think it could happen.

---//---

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 205 20
I honestly didn't realize how broken I was. I just figured that if I shut all my feelings out that they would go away. They didn't. They came back st...
4K 269 11
"Talk to someone... Robert, a therapist, a therapist together with Robert..." (Diane) What if Andy had followed Diane's advice and sought professiona...
1.3K 81 21
Beep beep beep... "Where am I? Am I really dead? is my life really over! What happened to me?" I began sobbing uncontrollably, why did this have to h...
28.2K 2.6K 77
Have you ever sunk so low that you actually felt relieved, knowing that it couldn't possibly get any worse? Well, I have... Many times. I lost ever...