The Royal Stranger

By varshachindam

Vrishali was popularly known as the life of the party. She had a natural ability to make friends with anyone... More

Welcome
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
Epilogue
A page from my journal
The Royal Commoner

17

21.9K 1.1K 62
By varshachindam

Padmanabh groaned changing his neck position, he opened his eyes and blinked twice. It took him a few seconds to understand that his bum and thighs are numb

He looked at his lap to see Vrishali's head resting on his thighs with her hair falling everywhere on his lap. Her arms are wrapped around his waist.

He froze feeling her hot breath against his clothed stomach. His heart started beating fast because of the nervousness and this is the first time that a lady is sleeping with her head on his lap.

He looked outside to see darkness, he can hear the voices of people talking. He looked at the front to see Vijay and Harika sleeping. Gulping down the lump he gazed back at Vrishali.

She curled into him with her arms wrapped around him tightly. He can't shift in his position and his back is hurting. He gently pushed her hair back allowing him to see her face.

A small smile started playing on his face when he saw Vrishali's face. Her mouth is partly open, she looks like a messy sleeping beauty.

He slowly tried to shift in his place but froze when Vrishali made a noise of protest with frowned brows.

Vrishali felt her head move making her back hurt. She tried to get comfortable but the pillow under her is moving.

Padmanabh looked at the time on his wristwatch. It was one in the morning, his body was so tired that he slept without waking up. He is confused about why they didn't reach the hotel or why they halted the car.

Padmanabh placed his hand on Harika's seat for support. Even though he was gentle it woke up Vrishali from her sleep.

Vrishali opened her eyes when she felt her pillows moving, she frowned when she saw Padmanabh's clothed front.

She slowly looked up to see Padmanabh trying to shift in his position. Her mouth dropped and her eyes widen when she realised their positions.

"How did I end up sleeping in his lap?" Vrishali questioned herself. Padmanabh looked down to see Vrishali looking at him with wide eyes.

"Hmm, sorry for disturbing your sleep," Padmanabh whispered looking at Vrishali. Vrishali didn't answer him, just stayed there with her eyes fixed on Padmanabh.

Padmanabh awkwardly looked at Vrishali, Vrishali snapped out of her world. She tried to get up but couldn't.

Padmanabh clenched his jaw when Vrishali unintentionally pressed herself against his main regions. Vrishali's heart started beating fast when her cheek was pressed against his private region. It was unintentional but it created an awkward situation.

"Sorry," Vrishali whispered when she pressed her cheek on Padmanabh's private region.

"Wait," Padmanabh whispered holding her arms and helping her up. Vrishali sat up straight with flush cheeks. She licked her lips tucking her hair behind her ear.

Padmanabh looked away flushed, he can't believe that just happened. His body is sore and numb. He needs to step out to relax his body.

Padmanabh opened his door stepping out. He looked at the wet ground, it is slightly drizzling. Vrishali looked at Padmanabh before opening her side of the car door.

She closed it gently with her scarf. She wrapped it around her shoulders when the chill air hit her shoulders.

Padmanabh walked over to Vrishali, he looked at Vijay and Harika before looking at Vrishali.

"Why did we halt the car?" Padmanabh asked Vrishali.

"The road was blocked by elephants so the cops stopped the vehicles. Even trees fell down because of winds so we had to halt the car," Vrishali explained.

Padmanabh nodded his head massaging his face with his hands. "Do you need something?" Padmanabh asked.

"Hmm... I need to use the restroom," Vrishali said. She has been holding for too long, now she needs to take a leak before she embarrasses herself.

She flinches just imagining it. "Let's go," Padmanabh said when he saw the dhaba(roadside local restaurant) on the opposing side.

They both cross the road and go to the dhaba. The tables are filled out with people, there are many cars and vehicles are halted.

Padmanabh waits as Vrishali hands her scarf before going to the ladies' washroom. Vrishali goes in and does her business before walking back to find Padmanabh standing where she left him.

She thought he would be waiting inside the dhaba for her. But he was waiting for her outside the ladies' washrooms, something changed in her knowing that he waited for her.

"Let's eat something," Padmanabh spoke when he saw Vrishali. He handed her scarf back.

"What about Vijay and Harika? Should we go and wake them up?" Vrishali asked.

"No, they had their dinner" Padmanabh replied.

"How do you know?"

"Vijay sent a message." Padmanabh showed his phone screen to Vrishali. Vrishali read the message from Vijay.

Her cheeks flushed when Vijay said they didn't wake up no matter how much they tried to wake them up.

Vrishali's stomach is growling for food but her growls cant be heard out. Vrishali followed Padmanabh inside.

Padmanabh and Vrishali used the tissues to clean the table and chairs before sitting down.

"Order whatever you like and no dessert if you don't eat your veggies," Padmanabh said placing the menu card in front of Vrishali.

Vrishali slouched her shoulders down hearing that. "That's not fair," she groaned.

"Everything is fair."

"What you gonna order?" Vrishali asked Padmanabh. She scanned the menu and found that they have non-veg in their menu.

Padmanabh is a vegetarian so he would order vegetarian food and Vrishali is carving chicken after seeing the word chicken on the menu.

"It's a Punjabi dhaba so I will order Punjabi food. What do you want to order?" Padmanabh asked keeping the menu down.

He looked at Vrishali and she looked unsure to say something. "Tell me what you want to eat?" Padmanabh asked her.

"Actually it's been months that I ate chicken... Is it okay if I order chicken? I'm carving naan and chicken," Vrishali said pointing her finger at the menu card.

"Sure, if you want to eat chicken then we will order."

"Does that makes you uncomfortable? If you are uncomfortable I will go for vegetarian food," Vrishali said looking at Padmanabh.

"No, it's fine. It doesn't make me uncomfortable. You don't have to order vegetarian food if you don't want to eat," Padmanabh spoke.

Vijay is an omnivore, he used to order non-vegetarian food often when they went for lunch. Padmanabh is now habituated to that and he doesn't have any problem with people eating non-vegetarian food beside him.

He is a vegetarian because his family doesn't eat non-veg and he wants to be a vegetarian. In most of the states of India, people were vegetarians but as the generations changed people started eating meat and that's absolutely fine.

"You sure?" Vrishali asked him once again.

"Vrishali... It's okay, you don't have to ask me about what you want to eat. You make your own food choices and eat whatever you want to eat. Remember that okay?" Padmanabh spoke seriously looking at Vrishali.

He already feels guilty that he married her when she is still a girl who had to see and enjoy so much in her life. He even doesn't know if she was in a relationship with someone. If she was and had to break up, he wouldn't forgive himself.

But something in him says that Vrishali was single. He would've seen hurt or something on her face or in her behaviour if she married him against her will.

People have different assumptions about it because of his demeanour. In reality, he doesn't want Vrishali to change her habits just because she married him.

He wants her to be herself, enjoy the way she is, and hope she stays the same.

"Okay."

Padmanabh called the waiter and they gave their order. Vrishali pulled her phone out and clicked a picture of the dhaba and other pictures of the location.

"Time lagega sir," the man said. (It will take time sir)

"Thik Hain." (Okay)

"So you are a heavy sleeper?" Vrishali asked Padmanabh breaking the silence.

"Hmm yeah, if I'm tired and need rest I wouldn't wake up," Padmanabh said a little bit of shyness in his voice.

He was a heavy sleeper and wouldn't wake up if he went to sleep. Only a few people know that he keeps three different alarm clocks.

He is sure that he wouldn't wake up for one alarm clock. Vijay and his sister Naina would always make fun of it.

Vrishali chuckled, "even I'm a heavy sleeper, you know I used to keep four alarm clocks. My mum used to drag me out of the bed and I was always late to school and college," Vrishali said.

"Oh, even you used to keep more than one alarm clock?" Padmanabh spoke more to himself and was surprised that they have something in common.

Padmanabh and Vrishali are opposites, till now they don't have anything in common but they respect each other's choices.

"Does that mean even you keep more than one alarm?" Vrishali teased Padmanabh with a smile on her face.

He blinked his eyes looking at her and she knew he does. Vrishali laughed out loud.

"Then we have something in common," Vrishali spoke. Padmanabh nodded his head with a smile on his face.

"Ah, I can't wait to eat chicken," Vrishali said licking her lips when she saw the waiter bringing their food.

"When was the last time you ate chicken?" Padmanabh asked. He never saw her eating non-veg before. The waiter placed their food on the table.

"Hmm..." Vrishali thought about it.

"A week before I came to India. I had my exams and when I have exams I don't eat non-veg," Vrishali said.

"Why?" Padmanabh asked filling his plate.

"Because I do the puja and pray to God to give me good marks," Vrishali said and Padmanabh chuckled.

"What?" Vrishali questioned filling her plate.

"Just remembered hostel days," Padmanabh replied.

"Hostel days?"

"Vijay, Harika and I studied in the hostel. Vijay and I were dorm mates. Even Vijay used to worship all the gods possible when exams week starts."

"All the students do that at the time of exams," Vrishali said filling her glass with the water.

"Agreed."

"So how was your hostel life?" Vrishali asked taking a bite of her chicken. She couldn't moan out so she enjoyed the taste.

"Hmm, memorable. It was actually peaceful."

"Peaceful?" Vrishali questioned in confusion.

"Yes, it's a different world and you don't have any attachments with the outside world when you step in. Different people from different parts of the world come to stay together. Even though I didn't interact with anyone, I enjoyed the serenity of the hostel life," Padmanabh explained remembering his hostel life.

"Woah, so all your academic years you were in a hostel?" Vrishali asked.

"Till 12th, for a bachelor's degree, I went to London. Stayed in the college dormitory then moved into an apartment in my second year," Padmanabh spoke.

This is their first time talking about their academic lives. Padmanabh never spoke about his school or college life before. No one ever asked him and he never spoke about it.

"You stayed in the apartment alone?" Vrishali asked curiously. She is happy that he is speaking about his life. She wants to know more about his school and college life.

"Yes."

"Why? I mean most of the students stay together right in the apartments to share the rent?" Vrishali asked.

"Hmm yeah, in most of the cases they live together but I wanted to live alone," Padmanabh replied.

"How many years have you stayed in London?"

Padmanabh took his time thinking about it.

"I was 19 when I shifted to London. Did my bachelor's and master's degrees from the same university. I lived in London for six years before coming back to India," Padmanabh explained.

"Which university you went to?" Vrishali asked.

"University of Oxford," Padmanabh replied.

"Wow! That must be crazy ah. Oxford is considered the most magical and beautiful university in the world. I heard about it from my online friends," Vrishali said in awe.

She saw the photos and posts of the university. The university was super cool and beautiful.

"You have friends in London?" Padmanabh asked.

"Yeah, a few high school friends moved to London for uni. Brought their friends to New York for vacation. I have around twenty to twenty-five friends staying in London," Vrishali said.

Vrishali was a social butterfly. She had many friends in her school and college. She knew everyone except the introverts who were too shy to talk to her.

She even made a few introverts as her friends but they hardly interact with her.

"Even Hailey's brothers go to kings university in London. They always post their uni pictures," Vrishali added remembering the brats.

Hailey's brothers are naughty and the loudest people she ever knew. She enjoyed their company whenever they were home for summer vacations.

They didn't even believe it when they heard the news of her wedding. She even sent them tons of photos to make them believe.

"Hailey?" Padmanabh asked. He doesn't know anything about her school and college life.

"Hailey, my best friend." Vrishali is too close to two people one is Hailey and the other is Aryan. She met Aryan when in her first year of college.

"Oh."

"Met her in the junior high when she shifted to New York from New Jersey. We two hit it off from day one of her school days. We even joined the same university and took the same course," Vrishali spoke excitedly.

"You miss her?" Padmanabh asked.

"Yeah but can't do anything. She didn't speak with me for three days when she heard the wedding news. Hailey is an understanding person so she understood and she was actually so excited to attend the wedding but she was on a family vacation so couldn't attend. Actually, Hailey and I planned our duo trip to Paris but things took a U-turn."

Padmanabh nodded his head not knowing what to say. Even he didn't expect that he would be tieing a knot. It happened in a span of days and he couldn't say no to his grandparents.

"You never had hostel life right?" Padmanabh asked changing the topic.

"Nah, the solo kid. Never stayed without my parents, this is my first time staying away from them," Vrishali said remembering her parents.

"Hmm."

"How was your school life?" Padmanabh asked and saw the huge smile growing on Vrishali's face.

"The best! I was a cheerleader so every day was a fun day. There are days when it didn't go well but I enjoyed my school life. You can say I was a social butterfly and loved meeting new people. Cheerleading helped a lot as we got to travel with the sports teams you know. We even participated in competitions."

"Wait I will show you the pictures of the competitions we have won," Vrishali said picking her phone from the table.

Padmanabh can't help but keep his gaze fixed on her face. It is radiating because of the happiness and excitement of Vrishali.

"This was in Connecticut, we went there for four days. And had our campfire, you know my mum tagged along to this and stayed in the quarters. I was happy though like she was there for competitions and gave me my space while I was with my friends," Vrishali said showing Padmanabh the pictures.

They forgot about their surroundings and everything. They just got into a world where only the two are talking and sharing their stories.

"Your mum used to attend all your performances?" Padmanabh asked looking at the pictures.

"Yes, I actually love to have any one of my parents attending my performance. It gives me strength and hope, seeing them in the audience. They attend as an audience and they are the coolest parents..."

Padmanabh noted that she loves it if her family is present at her school or college events.

"What did you choose as your major in university?" Vrishali asked Padmanabh.

"Business and computer science. Masters in business," Padmanabh replied.

"Why did you choose fashion designing as your major?" Padmanabh asked Vrishali. He is genuinely interested to know why she chooses that.

"My mum is a fashion designer. I was always fascinated by the clothes, she used to personally stitch my clothes. I got inspired watching her and her clothing store. So decided to take fashion designing as my major and I also love dressing up," Vrishali said honestly.

She really loves to dress up according to her mood. It makes her feel happy and also confident. Whenever she dresses up she feels like she holds power over what she is doing.

"Good."

"What about you? You genuinely wanted to take business as your major or?" Vrishali asked finishing her food.

Padmanabh washed his hands in the finger bowl. He is thinking about Vrishali's question.

"Hmm, always saw dada-sa (grandfather) and papa (father) working in the office. Sometimes they would take me to our other palaces and forts. I got inspired and wanted to start my own business you know... So took business as my major."

"Oh, is that the reason why you converted the palaces into hotels?"

"Hmm yeah. Maintenance of a palace isn't easy and also expensive. I didn't like the idea of leaving the palaces unused. So whatever palaces are given to me I converted them into hotels and resorts. They are also open for weddings," Padmanabh explained.

He is surprised that she wants to know about his business. It feels good to talk with her about what he does.

"That's a good thing and impressive. Amer fort and Nahargarh fort are under the government?" Vrishali asked.

"Hmm yes, Jai Garh fort is passed down to me. Jaigarh Fort is used for movie shootings and weddings," Padmanabh said.

They spoke like friends eating their food. This is the first time that they have spoken a lot with each other. Vrishali smiles listening to Padmanabh. For surely the crush on Padmanabh turned into liking.

Vrishali can feel it in her bones, she is falling for him. She is worried that she is the only one who is falling for him and there are no signs of falling from his side.

*

Vote, comment, follow and share...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.5K 2.4K 21
All she believed is love and all she wanted was a married life with the person who loved her. Ended up getting married to a person, she loved, and ca...
453K 15.4K 42
π™„π™£π™™π™žπ™–π™£ π™§π™€π™’π™–π™£π™˜π™š [π—–π—Όπ—Ίπ—½π—Ήπ—²π˜π—²π—±] π˜™π˜ͺ𝘀𝘩 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘩π˜ͺπ˜₯𝘦 𝘡𝘩𝘦π˜ͺ𝘳 𝘣𝘭𝘒𝘀𝘬 𝘴𝘦𝘀𝘳𝘦𝘡𝘴 𝘣𝘦𝘩π˜ͺ𝘯π˜₯ 𝘸𝘩π˜ͺ𝘡𝘦 𝘸𝘒�...
266K 9.1K 56
*𝐀𝐧 𝐈𝐧𝐝𝐒𝐚𝐧 𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞π₯* The whole world had stopped for them and all they could hear was their racing heartbeats after all they were in each o...
656K 8.5K 8
Shivika Kulkarni is fire and you don't play with fire. Orphaned at 5, her parents died in a car crash and she was raised by her paternal uncle and hi...