Princess of Arnor - The King'...

Bởi vykiknighthadley

This book is subject to a complete Re-edit now that book one is finished. Book Two in the House of Greenleave... Xem Thêm

Chapter One: Cries in the Darkness (under Edit)
Chapter Two: Rescue!
Chapter Three: Battlecamp of the Galadhrim
Chapter Four: Game of Fate
Chapter Five: Lady of Water
Chapter Six: Reunions
Chapter Seven: Southbound
Chapter Eight: The Road to Minas Tirith
Chapter Nine: Princess of Arnor
Chapter Eleven: The Fountain
Chapter Twelve: Thurindaer
Chapter Thirteen: The Old Guesthouse
Chapter Fourteen: Firien Wood
Chapter Fifteen: Alethris
Chapter Sixteen: The King and His Queen
Chapter Seventeen: Simbelmynë
Chapter Eighteen: The Long farewell
Chapter Nineteen: Northward
Chapter Twenty: Return to Rivendell
Chapter Twenty One: The Royal Progress
Chapter Twenty Two: Lothlórien
Chapter Twenty Three: Eryn Lasgalen
Chapter Twenty Four: The Crowning
Chapter Twenty Five: A Queen's duty
Chapter Twenty Six: The Vice Regent
Chapter Twenty Seven: The Visitor (Under Edit)
Chapter Twenty Eight: Morgul Work
Chapter Twenty Nine: Law and order
Chapter Thirty: Dolenbar
Chapter Thirty One: Council of the Dúnedain
Chapter Thirty Two: The Waking of the Dúnedain
Chapter Thirty Three: The Last Battle of Annúminas
Chapter Thirty Four: A New Dawn
Chapter Thirty Five: The Unexpected Visitors
Chapter Thirty Six: Nínimiel
Chapter Thirty Seven: The House of Greenleaves
Chapter Thirty Eight: The First Adventure
Chapter Thirty Nine: The King's House
Chapter Forty: The Sundering
Chapter Forty one: Nínimiel's Choice
Chapter Forty Two: The Wrath of Mellessil
Chapter Forty Three: Westward
Chapter Forty Four: Mithlond
Chapter Forty Five: The Straight Road
Epilogue

Chapter Ten: The Wedding Party

70 2 0
Bởi vykiknighthadley

"Who on Middle Earth has told you such tales?"

Anberenien sat beside Lothíriel and chatted happily as they got to know each other. "So why was Elweth so rude about my attendants?"

Lothíriel thought for a moment, then spoke in hushed tones. "Some Gondorians are wary that you have lived around Elves for so long, not to mention you look a little strange to them. Many would feel more comfortable if you were to adopt Gondorian customs."

"Do Gondorians not like Elves then?"

"Some do, my family even has Elf blood. The King is betrothed to an Elven Lady and I hear you are betrothed to an Elven King."

"I am betrothed to the Woodland King of Eryn Lasgallen."

"I've never heard of that. Where is it?" Anberenien explained it was the new name for Mirkwood. "Oh, I've heard the Elves there live in caves. I don't think I would like to spend the rest of my life in a cold, damp cave," replied Lothíriel.

Anberenien was surprised at her words. "The Elven Halls are not damp or cold. They are a royal palace and rather beautiful."

Lothíriel blushed and lowered her head. "Oh, I am sorry, my Lady Princess. I did not mean to offend. I am sure it is lovely." Her voice dropped to a whisper again. "Did the Elf King steal you from your family when you were a little girl? That is another story I've heard."

Anberenien frowned at her. "Certainly not! I was the King's Ward!" And she explained how she came to be found in Mirkwood. "Who on Middle Earth has told you such tales?"

"I would not worry. Most of it is tavern talk. My handmaiden's brother works in the Old Inn on the first tier and is always telling her the gossip. There is even a song, 'The Dúnadan Maiden', lost in the Forest and stolen by the Elf King because he wanted her silver eyes. My father says I shouldn't listen to such songs, but it is only a bit of fun."

Anberenien was most uncomfortable to hear about the song. Why would people make up stories about her? She looked at Thurindaer, who acknowledged her concern with a quiet growl. Turning back to Lothíriel, she could see she looked crestfallen. "I am sorry, my Lady Princess, I have spoken out of turn. I did not mean to offend. King Elessar speaks so highly of you. He says you are brave, strong, and wise. But he never told us how beautiful you are. Your hair, it is magical, and your eyes are like nothing I have ever seen. It's like you're from another world."

Anberenien smiled and blushed. Lothíriel was a sweet young woman and eager to make a good impression. "I think that is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me." Lothíriel beamed with delight. Faelnith entered the Solar and reminded Anberenien that she needed to dress for the feast. In the dressing room, a gown in a similar style to Lothíriel's had been laid out for her. It was black, with the white tree embroidered upon it. Anberenien was concerned about how revealing it was. "What of my scars? Must they be revealed for all to see?" Faelnith suggested she wear a white silk kirtle underneath, which covered the scars upon her arms.

The Feast took place in Merethrond The great feasting hall of the King. It was a fast hall of white marble with gold leaf pillars. There were so many hands to shake and smiles to return, that Anberenien felt more like a curiosity than a princess. Many smiled to her face, then whispered behind her back, and she was unsure who was friend or foe. King Elessar introduced her to four halflings. They had been a welcome relief from all the fake smiles and pleasantries. Frodo, she knew to be old Bilbo's nephew, and they spoke at length about him. She learned Frodo had taken Sauron's ring to Mount Doom where it was destroyed, but he declined to speak further on it. There was also Pippin, who was a Knight of Gondor who proudly strutted about in his dress uniform with the other Knights and Merry, whom Eowyn had asked her to pass her personal best wishes to.

But the hobbit she had spoken with most was Sam. He asked lots of questions about the Wood Elves and the Elven King. He was genuinely interested in Anberenien and her life in Mirkwood. But Aragorn would often call her away to meet some Knight or dignitary, who shook or kissed her hand, made jokes about Elves or spoke to Anberenien as though she were a child. Only Prince Imrahill and his lady treated her with any genuine respect. Their sons were all handsome and charming with the same laughing grey eyes as their sister Lothíriel.

As Anberenien chatted with Lothíriel and her family, the thought occurred to her that had things been different, she may have been fostered by them and even wed to one of their sons. By the end of the evening, Anberenien was exhausted and relieved to at last return to her apartment. 

----------------------------------------------------

Thurindaer looked out from the window at the citadel below him, the people looking like tiny black insects in the torchlight. He heard the entrance door open and close behind him. "How was the feast?" he called without looking.

"Tiring, so many people to meet and make small talk with, smiling to my face but whispering behind my back," said Anberenien.

Thurindaer drew the drapes across the window, removing his hood as he turned to her. "That is hardly surprising, Thorwen. Gondorian nobles may use Sindarin names after the heroes of old, but actually meeting one or someone who has been raised by Elves is another thing."

Anberenien stood before him, the black and white of her gown complimenting her waist length, wavy hair. "But Elessar was raised in Imladris as I was?"

"But he is King, Thorwen, and has lived more of his life among Men than you have." He kissed the top of her head and ran his fingers through her hair. "You look beautiful tonight. I wish I could have been with you."

Anberenien smiled sadly. "I missed you, too. I do not know how long I can bear it here. Perhaps after Elessar's wedding, I can seek his permission to return to the Woodland Realm. Then we can Wed and live in peace."

Thurindaer understood her pain. He was just as keen to leave the city as she was, even though they had only been there for a few hours. He held her close, breathing in her scent as they embraced. "Alas, he will not agree. He will want us to Wed in Minas Tirith. Even after our return to the Woodland Realm, we are bound by our agreement to oversee the restoration of Arnor. We are not done with the realms of men just yet."

Anberenien's eyes were moist as she pleaded with him. "I cannot wed in Minas Tirith, the memory of what was to take place here weighs heavily on my mind. If he will not agree to let me leave, let us go, in secret."

The temptation to agree to her request was strong, but he knew the likely results of such action. His very presence was already a risk to her honour and if his cover was blown, the consequences for them both would be grim. "We can't Thorwen, I will not risk war for our people, even for you. We must bide our time for now."

Anberenien nodded as a silent tear rolled down her cheek. He gently wiped it away, and they embraced again. A sudden noise made them both jump and break apart. Thurindaer breathed a sigh of relief as Merenthel entered the Solar. "Sorry to disturb you, my Lady Princess, but I have turned down your bed for you."

Anberenien thanked her and asked for some Camomile tea. She then sat on the couch with her head in her hands. "When will I ever be free to live my own life?" she sighed.

"Soon, Thorwen, I promise." He sat beside her, his arm around her, and she leaned into him, her head resting on his shoulder. He knew she was exhausted. The day had been long and mostly on horseback. Merenthel returned with the tea, but Anberenien had already fallen asleep. Thurindaer smiled, kissed her and gently lifted her and carried her to her bedroom. She barely stirred as he gently laid her on top of the bed, remembering the last time he had done this after she had saved his life.

He sat beside her, watching her as she slept, longing to lie beside her. Yet knowing such an act would see them both in peril. After all, he was an Elf and a King at that, and no Elf would ever take advantage of such a situation. He rose, leaving her in the care of Merenthel, and returned to the solar. Then replaced his hood, opened the drapes and resumed his lonely vigil at the window, looking out into the night.

-------------------------------------

There was still light in the darkening skies as Anberenien and Gandalf watched the wedding party approach the City Gatehouse. The company came to a halt just outside, then Elrond and Arwen dismounted. Elrond came forth whilst Arwen remained with the company. He caught sight of Anberenien and beckoned her to him. "Princess of Arnor, I would ask a small service from you."

"Of course, Ada. How may I be of assistance?"

Elrond gave her a small cushion, then he produced the sceptre of Arnor from his robes. Anberenien looked at him with surprise."You sent me to the Hall of fire for playing with that when I was a little girl." 

Elrond smiled."I also sent King Elessar to the Hall of fire for much the same thing. Now he is a King and you shall be a Queen."

"You never told me Aragorn went to the hall of fire."

"He was there almost as many times as you were, must be something in the blood." and he winked at her. Anberenien accompanied Elrond, holding the cushion, as they approached King Elessar. Both bowed low, then Elrond made a speech as he presented the sceptre to him. Upon receiving the sceptre, Elessar held it aloft and declared the Kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor reunited, his words greeted by loud cheering. Returning the cushion to Elrond, Anberenien stood to the side as Elrond laid Arwen's hand in Elessar's.

Now the cheering grew louder, with shouts of "Hail to the King and his Queen!" Elessar and Arwen rode at the head of the procession, with Anberenien and Elrond behind with her brothers, then everyone else. The crowds threw flowers as the torchlit procession made its way through the city. But it was late into the evening before the procession finally reached the stable tier.

---------------------------------------

The next morning, glaring sunshine streamed into the bedchamber, almost blinding Anberenien as she woke. "Sorry, my Lady Princess, we forgot to draw the drapes," said Merenthel.

Elweth entered the bedroom. "Good Morning Princess Anberenien, the King requests you join him in the Grand Dining room for breakfast."

Anberenien was taken aback by her forwardness. "Oh, I was hoping to breakfast in my Solar this morning."

"King's request is the King's command. Your presence is requested immediately," replied Elweth before swiftly leaving the bedroom. Still tired from the previous night, Anberenien dressed and Elweth escorted her to The Grand Dining room. It was a large room with a high ceiling and Long panelled Windows that let in reams of sunlight. The Black and White marble dominated the room. But many of the walls were covered in colourful frescos depicting Gondor's past. King Elessar was waiting at the head of a long, veneered black table. It was laden with delicious pastries from the royal bakery, other local delicacies, and fruit.

Elessar came forth as Anberenien approached, embraced her, and pulled out the seat to his right. In the morning light, she noticed he had even more grey hairs than before, but his face seemed less careworn. "The others will arrive shortly."

"Others?" asked Anberenien.

"Yes, I wanted my last breakfast as an unwed King to be with my closest friends and Kin."

Gandalf swept into the hall.

"Gandalf, you are early. Oh yes, a wizard is never early or late," said Elessar.

"Exactly," replied Gandalf, taking the seat at Elessar's left.

Legolas was next to arrive and seated himself next to Anberenien. "Mae Govannen, I would have thought the hobbits would have beaten me to breakfast."

"Oh, I sent word that breakfast was in half an hour, so they should arrive any time now," replied Elessar.

Sure enough, the four hobbits came bounding into the dining hall. "Hope we are not late for the first sitting," said Pippin.

"Of course not, Pippin, come sit," replied Elessar. Frodo and Sam sat with Gandalf, whilst Merry and Pippin sat on Legolas's side, leaving the chair next to him empty.

Shortly after, Gimli strolled into the hall and took the empty chair next to Legolas.

"Good Morning Gimli, I hope you slept well. Now that we are all here, I would like to introduce Anberenien to you all properly, to those not yet acquainted anyway," said Elessar. He then introduced Gimli, whom Anberenien had not spoken to at the feast.

"Gimli, son of Glóin? I met your father recently," said Anberenien.

"My father, you say?" replied Gimli.

"Yes, he passed by the Woodland Realm with news from Rivendell."

"I shall send word to him. Tell him I have met you, my Lady Princess. He is assisting in the rebuilding after the war. So the Dwarves staying in the Old Inn tell me."

"My ladies tell me there was much damage to both Erebor and Dale and that both Kings were lost. You have my condolences, Gimli."

"Thank you, my Lady Princess, and my condolences also for Prince Calenamath. He will be much missed."

Anberenien thanked him, and Legolas nodded with approval. The conversation then turned to more light hearted subjects. Pippin asked Anberenien about her not eating meat. She explained that meat had made her sick from when she was very small and so she reframed from it. "What, not even sausages, bacon, or roast beef?"

Anberenien giggled and shook her head. "Not even sausages."

Merry asked if she was going to become Legolas's stepmother. Legolas gave Merry an odd look. But Anberenien explained they would become beloved Kinsman. He then asked when Anberenien was likely to wed. "I am not of age to be Wed till August and weddings can take a long time to organise, but I hope it will not be too long," replied Anberenien. She looked at Elessar, who smiled awkwardly, then called for more fruit.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

8.5K 314 21
COMPLETED story with a SEQUEL; "A Permanent Lineage" *Over 34+ chapters overall! "...She had dreamt of what his lips would feel and taste like for...
130 21 7
The Third age draws to a close and the Fourth begins. The world is once again at peace for a time, and the time of men begins. Thranduil's people, be...
943K 35.8K 71
In the Home of Elrond of Rivendell, there is a warrior known for her skill and grace in combat and by the rare color of her eyes. Mantheniel, who had...
723 41 19
When a darkness spreads across Mirkwood, a mighty elven kingdom is robbed from its bliss. A once vibrant people hides behind the walls of their kingd...