Princess of Arnor - The King'...

By vykiknighthadley

This book is subject to a complete Re-edit now that book one is finished. Book Two in the House of Greenleave... More

Chapter One: Cries in the Darkness (under Edit)
Chapter Two: Rescue!
Chapter Three: Battlecamp of the Galadhrim
Chapter Four: Game of Fate
Chapter Five: Lady of Water
Chapter Six: Reunions
Chapter Seven: Southbound
Chapter Eight: The Road to Minas Tirith
Chapter Nine: Princess of Arnor
Chapter Ten: The Wedding Party
Chapter Eleven: The Fountain
Chapter Twelve: Thurindaer
Chapter Thirteen: The Old Guesthouse
Chapter Fourteen: Firien Wood
Chapter Fifteen: Alethris
Chapter Sixteen: The King and His Queen
Chapter Seventeen: Simbelmynë
Chapter Nineteen: Northward
Chapter Twenty: Return to Rivendell
Chapter Twenty One: The Royal Progress
Chapter Twenty Two: Lothlórien
Chapter Twenty Three: Eryn Lasgalen
Chapter Twenty Four: The Crowning
Chapter Twenty Five: A Queen's duty
Chapter Twenty Six: The Vice Regent
Chapter Twenty Seven: The Visitor (Under Edit)
Chapter Twenty Eight: Morgul Work
Chapter Twenty Nine: Law and order
Chapter Thirty: Dolenbar
Chapter Thirty One: Council of the Dúnedain
Chapter Thirty Two: The Waking of the Dúnedain
Chapter Thirty Three: The Last Battle of Annúminas
Chapter Thirty Four: A New Dawn
Chapter Thirty Five: The Unexpected Visitors
Chapter Thirty Six: Nínimiel
Chapter Thirty Seven: The House of Greenleaves
Chapter Thirty Eight: The First Adventure
Chapter Thirty Nine: The King's House
Chapter Forty: The Sundering
Chapter Forty one: Nínimiel's Choice
Chapter Forty Two: The Wrath of Mellessil
Chapter Forty Three: Westward
Chapter Forty Four: Mithlond
Chapter Forty Five: The Straight Road
Epilogue

Chapter Eighteen: The Long farewell

51 2 0
By vykiknighthadley

" Fear not ancient friend, not all Men come with axes and saws, some will come with seeds and acorns," - Alethris

The Fortress of Hornburg loomed before the travellers, silhouetted against the night sky. As they drew nearer, Alethris noticed there was scaffolding still in place and tools left neatly by the workmen after a day's labour. "At least we get to sleep in a proper bed for the next couple of nights," said Sam as he rode beside her on his pony.

Alethris looked down at him."You grow weary of camping, Sam?"

"The Elven camp beds are very comfortable, but I miss my own bed."

"I can empathise with you, young Sam. There is nothing more I would like right now than to be in the peace of my chambers alone with my queen," said Thranduil.

"As would I, Melherven," replied Alethris.

"I long for the peace of the forest and for us to go riding as we used to, then disappear for days beneath the trees."

Alethris's braid swished as she laughed. "We never disappeared for days, Melleth Nin."

Thranduil smirked back at her and whispered. "We can now." Elessar led the way into the fortress where the travellers were greeted by Gamling the Captain of the Hornburg. He led them to the Great Mess Hall, which was a large stone built room with a high pitched wooden roof. It was furnished with long tables of worn oak and benches and its walls were decorated with shields, weapons and armour. At its centre was a large roaring hearth, its smoke escaping through the hole in the ceiling. There, a simple but welcome meal awaited the hungry travellers.

Thranduil and Alethris were lodged in the captain's chamber in the tower. It was a simply furnished room with a small bed. Thranduil insisted Alethris slept in the bed while he rested in the chair beside her. The next day, they toured the fortress with King Elessar and heard firsthand accounts of what had taken place during the War of the Ring. Thranduil remarked he had not seen Legolas at breakfast and Elessar informed him he and Gimli had gone on an excursion and would return by supper. Sure enough, the two of them had rejoined the company as they gathered in the mess hall that evening.

There was a mixture of Elven music, lighthearted chatter, and the faint whiff of pipe smoke wafting through the air. Alethris's mind floated back to her childhood days in the Great Hall of Duincar, with ranger's songs and Pappa Beren's stories. She scanned the room of mixed company. Rohirrim dined with Elves and Gondorians alike. King Elessar was deep in conversation with Gandalf and the hobbits. He looked up at her, smiled, and raised a hand in greeting. Legolas sat between Thranduil and Gimli but seemed quieter than usual.

"You seem a little distracted, Ionnin," said Thranduil.

"I have been to the Glittering Caves with Gimli today," replied Legolas.

"Oh? Was it all he said it would be?"

Gimli patted Legolas on the back and laughed."That and more, King Thranduil, it left him speechless."

"It was even more beautiful than the Elven Halls Ada," said Legolas. "However, Isengard beckons in the morning and from there we shall travel to Fangorn Forest as agreed."

Gimli downed the rest of his beer and wiped his beard with his hand. "Aye, that we shall."

The next morning the party departed the Fortress at Helm's Deep and made for Isengard. On the afternoon of the following day, they arrived at the great tower fortress. The impenetrable walls that had once surrounded it had been raised to the ground and in their place, many trees and a great lake, now surrounded the Tower of Orthanc. Here and there, huge creatures that looked more like walking trees wondered about the wooded fortress. Alethris guessed they must be the Ents Merry and Pippin had spoken of. As she looked up at the black stone tower, Gandalf laid a hand on her shoulder. "The Ents call it Treegarth now, I must admit I prefer the name."

Alethris shuddered when she thought of how Saruman sought to imprison her there and hand her over to Sauron as an act of loyalty. "Yes it is a difficult place to escape from," said Gandalf giving her a knowing wink.

"I will have plenty to say to that thing they call a wizard. I hope he is still contained within the tower," Thranduil spat angrily.

"I would not concern yourself with him. Treebeard tells me he let him go a while back," replied Gandalf.

Thranduil was furious. "They let him go? He should be tasting my blade for what he did to Alethris!"

"He has no power save his voice and is little better than a man now. If he should taste anything, it should be your pity."

Thranduil glared at him, then put his arm around Alethris, and they went walking together among the trees. He looked up at the branches and sighed. "I have missed this, being here almost makes me feel homesick."

"Agreed," replied Alethris.

Thranduil then pulled her close to him, against a nearby tree. "I cannot wait till we are alone together in the Woodland realm with no one to disturb us." She shivered as he ran his fingers down her braid. "I hope you will dispense with this once our travelling is at an end and perhaps dispense with this riding attire too, for something more.... regal."

Alethris giggled. "You sound just like Elweth."

"I am your Lord husband and far better looking, Melleth nin." He brushed the stray hairs from her face as she looked into his soft, blue eyes. She then closed her eyes as she felt his warm lips brush against hers. Suddenly, the trunk of the tree moved away from them. Thranduil and Alethris turned to find themselves facing an Ent, who looked at them most curiously.

"Ho, Ho, what do we have here? ............... There I was having a quick rest and who should disturb my peace............ but young lovers. No, not young it seems........................... but if it were not for those eyes, Lady.................................. I would think you a mere child."

"Apologies for disturbing you. I am King Thranduil of Northen Eryn Lasgalen and this lady is my Queen, Alethris." The Ent stared at them for a while.

"Ah.... yes...... Gandalf told me of the Elven King and his bride. But he never mentioned you were of our mother's kin, Gracious Lady......................" He bowed slightly. "Forgive my manners, I am old and weary, though age has not burdened you as it has me. I am called Fangorn or Treebeard....... whichever you prefer.

Alethris looked up at the huge Ent and smiled. "You may know of my brother Aiwendil, who was Radagast the Brown. He resides in Eryn Lasgalen, though he has relinquished his mortal form."

"Aiwendil........ why........ yes...... I have heard of that name.......... long ago when I was but an Enting, he served our mother," said Treebeard.

"He is now Guardian of the Greenwood. Never shall evil's taint come upon it again."

"Alas, this news has come too late for Ent Wives. They are long lost to us now, and the world grows evermore with men," said Treebeard sadly.

"Fear not, ancient friend, not all Men come with axes and saws. Some will come with seeds and acorns," replied Alethris.

"Then there is hope for men yet............... Farewell, Gracious Lady, blessings to you and your Elven King," said Treebeard. He bowed again and went on his way.

A short time later, Legolas and Gimli came running up to them. "Father!, Alethris! There you are. Gimli and I are departing for Fangorn Forest. We are here to bid you farewell."

Thranduil embraced him and patted him on the back. "I have enjoyed our brief reunion and look forward to seeing the changes you are planning for the royal chambers. I am sending most of the Wood Elves back to Eryn Lasgalen. Now that the festivities are over, Alethris and I will only need the Huscarls and a few attendants during our progress."

"All shall be ready for the first day of Spring, Ada," replied Legolas.

Thranduil placed Gimli's gem into his hand. "Ensure this gem is cut and set into Alethris's Crown. We will meet you at Ered Calenamath on the day of her crowning."

"I shall see it done, Ada. Ered Calenamath, a fitting tribute to my uncle, may his time in Mandos be short," replied Legolas.

"The Green Sheild mountains, has a nice ring to it," said Gimli.

Thranduil eyed the pack on Legolas's back. "You have all the plans, then?"

"Of course, and the contracts. Alethris drew them up in both Sindarin and Khuzdul."

The two of them then took their leave of Thranduil and Alethris. "Until the spring!" they both called as they walked away.

Later, as the party left the Treegarth of Orthanc and made their way to the Gap of Rohan. Elessar asked Thranduil if Alethris could ride beside him. He looked sad, and she knew in her heart what was to come. Just outside the place of their encampment, Elessar asked Alethris and Thranduil to remain with his Knights, whilst he bid farewell to the others. They waited as he bid farewell to the rest of the Party. Then turned towards the waiting couple, his tearful gaze upon Alethris. She ran to him and he lifted her in an embrace, as her father had done when she was a child.

"I do not care who you really are. To me, you will always be Beren's child," he whispered. He held her in a tight embrace for a time. "There is something I must show you before I depart." He then drew out from his riding robes a diadem of Mithril with a bright gem in the shape of a star. "You know what this is, don't you."

Alethris gasped in amazement. "The Elendilmir, I thought it had been lost."

"It was hidden in Orthanc. Saruman must have found it, or at least his Orcs did. I shall bring it to Annúminas when it is restored, to be kept there safely for when I am in residence. My heart tells me that one day you and I shall walk together along the banks of Lake Evendim. When the King's House is restored and there we will talk of many things as our children run and play together on the shores."

Elessar put the Elendilmir away again and his eyes welled with tears as he kissed Alethris on the forehead. "Sometimes I will go to my seeing stone and turn it toward Eryn Lasgallen in the hopes that I may see you and your family walking under its leafy canopy. But for now, I must leave you in the care of your husband." He took Alethris's hand, clasping it tightly for those last moments, and slowly, they walked back to Thranduil.

Elessar then placed her hand in his. "Take care of this most precious of gems." He then mounted his horse, flanked by his knights. Borion, who was among them, ordered them to salute. "When you go to Arnor, take counsel with Elladan, Elrohir and Glorfindel. You do not know the land, but they do. I shall send a company of Knights in due course. They will meet with you in Rivendell."

"As you wish brother, farewell and may your journey be both swift and safe," replied Alethris, taking a deep breath to stifle her tears. Then they watched as he held aloft the Elfstone and his namesake and remained there until he rode southward into the darkening sky and out of sight.

------------------------------

The party travelled through the gap of Rohan and into Dunland. When they rested, Thranduil and Alethris camped beside Lord Elrond and her brothers, keeping company with them. But Elrond was quieter than usual and would often go walking alone at night. The road took the travellers through a small wood as they continued northward. "Who are those two vagabonds up ahead?" called Thranduil.

Alethris then noticed Gandalf, Galadriel and the Hobbits speaking with two dishevelled men walking along the roadside. "Curumo," she said to herself.

"Surely that is not the White Wizard, Melleth nin."

"The very same, though I would hardly call him white."

Thranduil gripped his blade, partially unsheathing it. "Good, there are a few words I would have with that creature before I dispatch it. I missed out on Gollum's head. Perhaps I'll take his instead!"

But Alethris stopped him."Do not sully your blade. He is unworthy of such mercy. And he would welcome it in his wretched state, let him live a little longer in his misery. Only a blade wielded by a traitor is worthy of him, and even that will not end his suffering."

Thranduil looked deeply into her eyes and smiled. "Your counsel, my Queen, is both wise and prudent. Perhaps Doriath, the Kingdom of my birth, would not have been destroyed if my King had listened to the wise counsel of his Queen. I hope I have learned from such mistakes." Then sheathed his blade.

As they passed the wretched pair, Saruman suddenly looked up. On seeing Alethris, a cruel smirk crept across his face. "Almárie, what a pleasant surprise. I see your Elven King has won you body and soul. Whether he is worthy of it is another matter." Thranduil glared at him but did not reply. "Nothing to say then, Elven King?"

"I see no benefit in wasting my breath on a pathetic creature such as you," replied Thranduil.

Saruman uttered a rasping laugh. "Nice to see your little pet is well trained, and I see you reverted to your Maia name. Tar-Almárie has such a nice ring to it."

"It is Alethris in Sindarin, the language of my people. Names are important, as well you know, and a wise Maia once advised me to speak respectfully to one of higher rank, Sharky!"

Saruman glared at her. "And I also told you pride comes before a fall, Blessed Queen!" Suddenly, he attempted to pull Alethris from Dúrgilroch. But the horse quickly moved out of range, sending Saruman headlong into a nearby muddy puddle. The disgraced wizard got to his knees and spat the mud out of his mouth.

Thranduil looked down at him, chuckling. "No one lays hands upon my queen without my consent! Be thankful you still breathe!" Dúrgilroch then kicked more mud in Saruman's furious face with his back legs.

Thranduil looked at Alethris and smirked. "I think your ride is growing on me. I like his style."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.7K 1.8K 33
Story Rankings as of 9/11/2022 #36 elf out of 9.2k stories #22 aragorn out of 1.7k stories #7 theonering out of 87 stories Raewyn has a special backg...
219K 9.9K 41
***BOOK II of the To Live Again Saga*** Clara has overcome much to finally find her happily ever after...but when is anything happily ever after in M...
29.5K 936 28
Despite the breaking of the Fellowship, Lessien's story continues on with her remaining companions. When the group encounters Gandalf again, it appe...
556K 21.7K 73
How did it come to this? Loyal to her family, her lands and her people, Théadain, the illegitimate daughter of Théoden, King of Rohan, has little con...