Princess of Arnor - The King'...

By vykiknighthadley

This book is subject to a complete Re-edit now that book one is finished. Book Two in the House of Greenleave... More

Chapter One: Cries in the Darkness (under Edit)
Chapter Two: Rescue!
Chapter Three: Battlecamp of the Galadhrim
Chapter Four: Game of Fate
Chapter Five: Lady of Water
Chapter Six: Reunions
Chapter Seven: Southbound
Chapter Eight: The Road to Minas Tirith
Chapter Nine: Princess of Arnor
Chapter Ten: The Wedding Party
Chapter Twelve: Thurindaer
Chapter Thirteen: The Old Guesthouse
Chapter Fourteen: Firien Wood
Chapter Fifteen: Alethris
Chapter Sixteen: The King and His Queen
Chapter Seventeen: Simbelmynë
Chapter Eighteen: The Long farewell
Chapter Nineteen: Northward
Chapter Twenty: Return to Rivendell
Chapter Twenty One: The Royal Progress
Chapter Twenty Two: Lothlórien
Chapter Twenty Three: Eryn Lasgalen
Chapter Twenty Four: The Crowning
Chapter Twenty Five: A Queen's duty
Chapter Twenty Six: The Vice Regent
Chapter Twenty Seven: The Visitor (Under Edit)
Chapter Twenty Eight: Morgul Work
Chapter Twenty Nine: Law and order
Chapter Thirty: Dolenbar
Chapter Thirty One: Council of the Dúnedain
Chapter Thirty Two: The Waking of the Dúnedain
Chapter Thirty Three: The Last Battle of Annúminas
Chapter Thirty Four: A New Dawn
Chapter Thirty Five: The Unexpected Visitors
Chapter Thirty Six: Nínimiel
Chapter Thirty Seven: The House of Greenleaves
Chapter Thirty Eight: The First Adventure
Chapter Thirty Nine: The King's House
Chapter Forty: The Sundering
Chapter Forty one: Nínimiel's Choice
Chapter Forty Two: The Wrath of Mellessil
Chapter Forty Three: Westward
Chapter Forty Four: Mithlond
Chapter Forty Five: The Straight Road
Epilogue

Chapter Eleven: The Fountain

52 2 0
By vykiknighthadley

"I think the choice is not who we love, but how we act upon the love we feel."

Anberenien and Thurindaer stood by the window together, watching the preparations for the wedding taking place below. "My Lady Princess, Elweth approaches," Faelnith whispered behind them.

Quickly, Anberenien moved away from the window and settled herself in one of the couches as Elweth walked purposely into the solar. "Princess Anberenien, you have a visitor, Prince Legolas."

"Thank you, Elweth, please show him in."

Elweth ushered Legolas into the sitting room with an air of uneasiness, then left as he and Anberenien exchanged greetings. Legolas frowned when he saw Thurindaer was present. "Send him away. I would speak with you in private."

Before Anberenien could reply, Thurindaer turned towards Legolas and bowed low. "My Lord Prince," he whispered, then entered the box room.

Legolas's eyes followed Thurindaer and did not return to Anberenien until the box room door was safely closed. "Since when did Ada take such a strange Elf into his service?"

"A lot has changed since you went away, Legolas."

"So I see." Legolas then turned his gaze back to Anberenien. "Apologies, we have not spoken properly since you arrived. My father? Is he well? How bad did things get?" Then he told Anberenien all that had happened on the quest for the ring.

"So you made friends with Gimli? I wonder what your father will say?"

"Gimli is my best friend and like a brother to me, Thorwen. We have shared so much on our travels. But please, tell me news of home. I am anxious to know what happened." Anberenien told him of the battle of the trees and what took place there. "They are now busy with rebuilding and restoring. Your father is perfectly fine but misses you terribly. He cannot wait for you to return home."

"Oh, I long to see him, too. Being imprisoned at Dol Guldur must have been awful for you, and then for my uncle to be slain like that. Those vile creatures got what they deserved!" He then explained how he had been called to bear witness."The priests refused to recognise the court and justified their cruel deeds. They continued to spout their vile beliefs, claiming Morgoth and Sauron would one day return. It was fortunate King Elessar held the proceedings in private. Few could have stomached both evidence and testimony. Even Borion, the Captain of the Knights, wept as he gave his testimony. His account visibly moved King Elessar. Such was the seriousness of their crimes, King Elessar could not give them a merciful end. They were hanged by the neck at the city walls. Mithrandir and I attended the execution. It was not quick."

Anberenien glanced at her arms. "Yes, but it cannot undo what was done."

Legolas nodded in agreement and squeezed her hand. "So the forest is now called Eryn Lasgalen."

"Yes, your father controls the north as far as the mountains and Grandfather the south below the narrows as East Lorien. The middle is for the Beornings."

"So many changes to get used to. Still, I must take my leave of you now. We have a wedding to prepare for."

Legolas then took his leave of her. After he left, Thurindaer emerged from the box room, his hood down. "Best friends, with a dwarf, eh?"

"He is suspicious, Melleth nin."

Thurindaer laughed. "Not suspicious enough, and so our little game continues. Still, it was good to see him. He has certainly grown in stature; the expedition has done him good."

----------------------------------

Anberenien kept her composure as she held Arwen's train as the wedding procession made its way to the steps of the white tower, where King Elessar and Gandalf awaited them. All eyes were upon them as the ceremony unfolded in the bright sunshine. The bride and groom made their vows, then a page presented the rings of wedlock. Once all the formalities were concluded, a great cheer went up as Gandalf declared the couple High King and Queen of the Reunited Realm.

The sun had long since set as Anberenien slipped out of Merethrond. The cool night air was a welcome relief from the stifling heat of the Feasting Hall. She made her way towards the courtyard of the fountain. Behind her, music, dancing, and merriment wafted through the warm night air. The fountain looked like a tree with spouts for branches as it bubbled away happily. Then she noticed the newly planted sapling of a white tree growing nearby, its leaves glowing in the darkness. Anberenien sat by the fountain, closed her eyes, and wished herself far away.

"Wandering off again, Almárie?" said a voice.

Anberenien opened her eyes to see Gandalf standing before her. "Olorin, you startled me."

"Did I now? I said we needed to talk. Now seems as good a time as any." He then sat beside her by the fountain.

Anberenien eyed him curiously. "You seem more like yourself now."

Gandalf chuckled slightly. "I still resemble a man of long years, but yes, I am a little less burdened."

"You are certainly an improvement on Curumo in those robes."

"I should think so. How were the falls of Nimrodel?"

"Cold," replied Anberenien, shuddering at the thought.

A smirk crept across Gandalf's wrinkled face. "At least it was spring for you."

"What happened? Did you go straight to my Lord? Was it he who sent you back?"

Gandalf shook his head. "No, Almárie, I am not in the service of Námo, and as to what happened? All I can say is I was home, then I was back on the mountain."

"What will you do now the war is over?"

"Oh, I have a few formalities to oversee. Then I shall take some rest, I think, before my next long journey. But that is not why I wished to speak to you." Gandalf sat beside her and gently drew up one of her sleeves. Tears welled up in his eyes as he beheld the scars along her arms. "Oh, Almárie, the brutality you have endured."

"I did not give in to them, I would not give them the satisfaction."

"You have always had a somewhat stubborn nature, Almárie. Perhaps that is why Námo chose you to serve him."

"My Lord chooses those who suit his purposes, whether or not they are willing."

"Námo chooses those whose fates best suit the will of Iluvatar," Gandalf reminded her.

"But Olorin, I have done nothing other than get myself into trouble since I came to Middle Earth."

"I would not be so hard on yourself Almárie, your presence distracted both Sauron and Saruman from fully pursuing the ring. That bought myself and the fellowship more time to complete our mission. Had Sauron not been pursuing you, double the amount of Orcs would have attacked Lothlórien. And the Galadhrim may not have been able to repel them as many times as they did, let alone attack Dol Guldur." 

"What of Curumo? He left me at the mercy of Nuta. Will I not have justice for his crimes?"

"His staff is broken. He has no colour and no rank. Now, he is only Saruman."

Anberenien looked at him in surprise. "I did not think that such a thing was possible."

"Everything is possible if Iluvatar wills it, and Námo does not take kindly to those who would harm his servants."

"The Priests of Morgoth, Legolas, said you saw them executed."

"Yes, I was there for the trial. Afterwards, I tried to give the prisoners counsel. Help them repent so that their judgement could be more merciful. But they were steadfast, arrogant even. I was impressed by King Elessar's composure and restraint, as the High Priestess bragged over what she had done to you. Legolas was called as a witness. He found the trial difficult but had the good sense to leave his bow outside the court, else he would have been tempted to use it. At the execution, Nuta tried to preach to the crowd and had to be gagged. They asked to be burnt. To die in flames, as sacrifices to Morgoth, but were hanged for the criminals they were. King Elessar ordered their bodies to be hung on gibbets at the side of the road to Mordor for the birds to feast upon. They hang there still."

"Elessar has never spoken of the trial. I thought it was because his concerns were about his wedding."

"That is correct to a point, but it has weighed heavily upon him. I fear he finds it hard to think about the suffering of his kinfolk and what you endured."

"But he was facing his great doom."

"And you were not? The thought of what was asked of you must have gone through your mind at Dol Guldur, even when under the influence of Poppy syrup."

Anberenien was thoughtful for a moment. "Yes, it was the only thing I could keep firm in my mind."

"But the Hobbits fulfilled their purpose, and your sacrifice was not needed. Even Gollum came through in the end."

Anberenien recoiled in surprise. "Gollum, that little traitor who led me to my captors, how did he help things?"

"Countless lives were saved on account of one little trip."

"He went into the fires with the ring?"

"Not intentionally but, he is at peace now."

"I hardly think he will get much peace with my Lord."

"Oh, I don't know. Perhaps Námo will teach him some useful pursuit, like Chess. I think he would be quite good at that," said Gandalf, and they both laughed. "But now, my dear cousin, the battle is won, the King restored, and the Queen installed. It is time to turn our attention to other matters. Therefore, it has fallen to me to inform you that Lord Námo releases you from his service."

Anberenien was puzzled. "But whom will I serve now?"

"No one. You are to be Wed, and bound to your husband for all eternity."

"But what will happen when I return to Valinor? What of Lasseth? What will become of her after the curse is lifted?"

"Alas, I cannot answer these questions. Upon your wedding, the Wood Elves become your people and one day you will bring them home. That is all I am permitted to tell you on those matters."

Anberenien looked up at the stars. Her eye was drawn to the brightest. "But there will be a price........ won't there."

"Yes, Almárie, the grief of Elrond and Melian shall be yours thrice over. But grief is the price we pay for love."

"Why must my children pay the price? They will carry the blood of Elves, man and Maia."

"So does Elessar, but even he will be subject to the gift of men. Mortally is a gift,  Almárie! Why not seek counsel with that bodyguard of yours? I hear he is very wise."

Anberenien's eyes grow wide and she looked about her for fear of being overheard. "You know who Thurindaer is...... don't you?" she whispered.

Gandalf winked back at her. "Of course, it is of much amusement among the Elves."

"But Legolas still hasn't guessed."

Gandalf smiled. "There are none so easily fooled than those closest to us."

"Do you think anyone has a choice in who they love?"

"I think the choice is not who we love, but how we act upon the love we feel."

"You speak of Calenamath."

"Yes."

Tears fell from Anberenien's eyes, and Gandalf placed his arm around her. "It is not wrong to weep for him. Your grief for Calenamath does not betray your love for Thranduil. There are many kinds of love and the love you have for Thranduil is different to that of Calenamath, yet his love for you was different. His heart was not consumed by jealousy and malice like so many others in his situation. Calenamath put you and Thranduil's happiness above his own desires. That is the purest kind of love. If anyone deserves tears to be shed upon, it is him. Námo will not let his deeds go unnoticed."

--------------------------------------------------

A servant showed Elweth into the King's study as Elessar was signing decrees. He looked up as she entered. "Elweth, thank you for coming to see me."

"Yes, your Grace, how may I be of service?"

"Princess Anberenien has been with us a couple of weeks now. I was wondering how she is settling into her new life in Minas Tirith?"

Elweth rolled her eyes slightly. "Your Grace put me in charge of the Princess's household. Yet I feel I am constantly undermined by her Elven servants. They are secretive and uncooperative. Today she has gone into the city wearing 'riding clothes' with hose. A Princess of Gondor should not dress in male attire. My Gondorian servants feel uncomfortable in her presence. She speaks and moves like an Elf. And her accent is so thick, it is difficult to understand her. I had hoped that Lady Lothiriel would have been a beneficial influence, but alas, I see no improvement. Then there is that bodyguard of hers. He is always skulking by the window, never showing his face. I can't put my finger on it, but the is something strange about him, even for an Elf."

Elessar smiled. "The princess has lived in the Woodland Realm for many years. It is no surprise that she would be more Elf like in her manner and clothing."

"But she lives in Gondor now and should become accustomed to what Gondorians wear. She is a Princess of the Realm and Maid of Honour to the Queen. There are certain standards to be upheld."

Elessar put down his quill and gave Elweth a firm smile. "As long as the Princess dresses appropriately when in the service of the Queen. I am not concerned with what she wears in her own time."

"Even so, Your Grace, I am still uncomfortable with that bodyguard in the apartment. A strange male in the Apartment of a young maiden is inappropriate enough, but for a royal princess. I have tried to approach the subject with her, but she will pay no heed. He always makes me feel I am intruding when I enter the Princess's Apartment. Might it be better to replace the princess's servants with Gondorian ladies? They could help the Princess adapt to her new life."

"You are right about the bodyguard. I see no reason for it other than to placate King Thranduil. I will send word to him, requesting he recall this Thurindaer and I will speak with the Princess after King Theoden's Funeral about the other matters. Now, will there be anything else, Elweth?"

Elweth smiled with satisfaction. "No, your Grace." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.5K 314 21
COMPLETED story with a SEQUEL; "A Permanent Lineage" *Over 34+ chapters overall! "...She had dreamt of what his lips would feel and taste like for...
130 21 7
The Third age draws to a close and the Fourth begins. The world is once again at peace for a time, and the time of men begins. Thranduil's people, be...
204K 10.4K 54
***Book III of the 'To Live Again' Series*** It is the year 3441 of the Second Age of Arda, it has been seven years since the Siege began on Barad-Du...
94.7K 4.7K 48
After the horrible incident in the fortress of Gundabad, Turwaithiel returns to Rivendell as a different person. Her night is filled with horrible dr...