Princess of Arnor - The King'...

By vykiknighthadley

This book is subject to a complete Re-edit now that book one is finished. Book Two in the House of Greenleave... More

Chapter One: Cries in the Darkness (under Edit)
Chapter Two: Rescue!
Chapter Three: Battlecamp of the Galadhrim
Chapter Four: Game of Fate
Chapter Five: Lady of Water
Chapter Six: Reunions
Chapter Eight: The Road to Minas Tirith
Chapter Nine: Princess of Arnor
Chapter Ten: The Wedding Party
Chapter Eleven: The Fountain
Chapter Twelve: Thurindaer
Chapter Thirteen: The Old Guesthouse
Chapter Fourteen: Firien Wood
Chapter Fifteen: Alethris
Chapter Sixteen: The King and His Queen
Chapter Seventeen: Simbelmynë
Chapter Eighteen: The Long farewell
Chapter Nineteen: Northward
Chapter Twenty: Return to Rivendell
Chapter Twenty One: The Royal Progress
Chapter Twenty Two: Lothlórien
Chapter Twenty Three: Eryn Lasgalen
Chapter Twenty Four: The Crowning
Chapter Twenty Five: A Queen's duty
Chapter Twenty Six: The Vice Regent
Chapter Twenty Seven: The Visitor (Under Edit)
Chapter Twenty Eight: Morgul Work
Chapter Twenty Nine: Law and order
Chapter Thirty: Dolenbar
Chapter Thirty One: Council of the Dúnedain
Chapter Thirty Two: The Waking of the Dúnedain
Chapter Thirty Three: The Last Battle of Annúminas
Chapter Thirty Four: A New Dawn
Chapter Thirty Five: The Unexpected Visitors
Chapter Thirty Six: Nínimiel
Chapter Thirty Seven: The House of Greenleaves
Chapter Thirty Eight: The First Adventure
Chapter Thirty Nine: The King's House
Chapter Forty: The Sundering
Chapter Forty one: Nínimiel's Choice
Chapter Forty Two: The Wrath of Mellessil
Chapter Forty Three: Westward
Chapter Forty Four: Mithlond
Chapter Forty Five: The Straight Road
Epilogue

Chapter Seven: Southbound

65 2 0
By vykiknighthadley

"For now and evermore!"

They sat awkwardly beside each other on the banks of the Celebrant with only a slight gap between them. Thurindaer kept his hood up as he gazed into the water, looking at Anberenien's reflection. Every inch of him wanted to reach out and hold her, but he resisted the urge. "You look good in white," he whispered.

"I prefer green," replied Anberenien. Thurindaer smiled slightly as he saw her blushing in the river's smooth waters. He had feared what he might find upon arrival. But here she was, a few more silver tresses in her hair, but still Thorwen, his Thorwen.

He looked up and scanned the trees across the river for any signs of being watched, but could see no one in the trees. "Celeborn said Galadriel took you to the falls of Nimrodel." He then turned to Anberenien, his bright eyes meeting hers. "Is it gone from you? The shadow."

Tears welled up in her luminous eyes."It has, along with much of my mannishness." There was a long pause between them. "I was surprised you came."

"You knew I would come. Why would I not?"

Her tears rolled silently down her cheeks. "Calenamath." Her words pierced his heart as if the very arrow that had killed his brother had struck him. "I feared you would turn from me when you knew how he died. He said 'Melleth nin ris' before he passed from this world."

My beloved queen. Of course, he would say that. Calenamath had loved her as much as Thranduil did. But he also knew the deeper meaning of those words. Calenamath was pledging his love and loyalty to them both with his dying breath. "If it were not for Calenamath, we would not be sitting here now. I owe him a great debt. It was not the first arrow he had saved you from. I am glad it was your arms he passed in. My brother was selfless, even in love." Thurindaer slid his hand towards Anberenien's fingers, just touching hers as her hand lay in the grass.

"Not here. There are eyes upon us," warned Anberenien.

"Let them watch!" replied Thurindaer. He edged closer, his fingers gently caressing the back of her hand. "Do you remember the last time we were at a riverbank?"

Anberenien lowered her eyes, but did not withdraw her hand."Yes, before our betrothal feast...... I pulled you into the water. I was whole then."

"You are still whole to me Thorwen, your scars do not make you any less of a woman, just as mine do not make me any less a King." They talked about how they lost each other in the battle under the trees. "I searched for you for hours, sent the best scouts, but they could find nothing. Calenamath knew in his heart what had happened to you. I wanted to march on Dol Guldur myself, but our people were weary after the battle. Their homes destroyed and their spirits low. And there was still a threat on our eastern borders from the Easterlings. Calenamath assured me he and the Hurscarls would find you whilst I attended to the needs of our people. Yet I took my fear and wrath out on him, forbid him from returning without you. I may as well have loosed the arrow that went through his heart."

"I was as much to blame. I drank too much wine that night and disgraced myself. Calenamath was returning me to the pavilion when it happened."

Thurindaer smirked slightly."Then Celeborn and Galadriel should have kept a better I on you. I would have done."

"I called out to you during the battle, but no answer came and I feared you were..... slain. Then some deserters from Dale tried to take me captive to claim my bounty. It did not end well for them. It was the spiders that got me in the end. I guess I have the priests to thank for my not becoming their next meal," replied Anberenien.

Thurindaer sniggered. "Spiders? How very careless of you, Thorwen."

He saw the blush return to her face as she beamed back at him. "I wish I was still Thorwen, and we were back in the Woodland Realm racing through the trees, and you cheating......."

Thurindaer raised his hands in mocking offence. "I never cheat, I am........... Thurindaer."

The smile dropped from Anberenien's face, and she looked about nervously. "They know who you really are, Galadriel and Celeborn," she whispered.

Thurindaer chuckled. "Why, of course they do. That is not the point. The Woodland King would need to be accompanied by a large retinue. But Thurindaer can travel without attracting attention. This guise I am willing to endure, in honour of my brother's sacrifice." He did not relish the journey ahead, too many painful memories. He thought of his father, Lasseth, and all the other brave souls who had been slain at Dagorlad. But war was over now and the shadow was gone. If he wished to remain at Thorwen's side, he would have to face his fears and humble himself."

"You intend to keep this up all the way to Minas Tirith?"

Thurindaer brought his arm to rest upon his raised knee in a more relaxed pose. "I will if I must. Of course, I am looking forward to seeing Legolas. I wonder how long it will take for him to recognise me?"

"Have you had word from him?"

"Yes, he is in Ithilien with King Elessar's host, serving as my emissary. I look forward to his homecoming. He is sure to have quite a tale to tell."

"What if someone recognises you?"

Thurindaer tugged at his hood. "They won't!"

"Are you going to keep your hood up for the entire journey?"

"I don't see why not."

A mischievous grin crept across Anberenien's face. "Even so, a servant should show his face to his master or mistress, as a mark of respect."

"Who told you that?"

"You did." And they both giggled.

"Very well, my Lady Princess, as Thurindaer is a loyal servant of the Woodland King. He had better lower his hood as a mark of respect to his mistress." He felt a blush forming upon his cheeks as he slowly lowered his hood. But was surprised when Anberenien threw her head back with laughter when she saw him."What is it? What is so funny?"

"Your hair..... you look just like Legolas. You could pass for twins!" she chuckled.

Thurindaer frowned. "Hilarious, if I were not your servant, I would....."

Anberenien's face broke out into a cheeky grin."You would what? Lock me in my chamber? Not without you, I hope, my Lord King."

"What are you insinuating? I am your humble servant, my Lady Princess," replied Thurindaer. He feigned embarrassment at her words, but in truth, it excited him. "Am I to assume your grandmother has passed some womanly wisdom to you?"

Anberenien's eyes shone even more brightly than he remembered. "She has explained the more intimate parts of the wedding ceremony, my Lord........ Thurindaer." The slip of her tongue amused him. It did not surprise him that Galadriel had counselled Anberenien on such matters. With Lord Elrond as her adopted father, she was best placed to give such advice and would most likely have done the same for Lady Arwen. He pondered for a moment who would have given Galadriel such counsel. Most likely Melian, who was like a mother to her when they all lived in Doriath. How different she had been in those days, age had certainly mellowed her. As Thurindaer pondered on this, he suddenly realised Anberenien had gone.

Concerned, he looked about him only to see her standing near a grove of Mallorns. She giggled, beckoning him to follow before entering the grove. Thurindaer did not hesitate. He rose quickly, a smirk creeping across his face as he followed her. It was silent as he entered the grove, golden leaves falling gently around him.

"Thorwen?" he whispered as he searched behind each massive trunk.

"Guess again," whispered a voice as pure as silver. He felt her eyes upon him as he looked this way and that, though he could not seek her out. His heart thumped loudly in his chest as he heard her laughter behind him, then in front. He felt her presence as if she was enveloping him. Then she appeared before him like a bright silver flame in all of her radiance. "Be you, my servant, or my King?" she asked in her soft, silvery voice.

The very sight of her brought Thurindaer to his knees as he took her hands. She was everything his heart desired."By Eru Iluvatar, I Thranduil, swear to be your servant and your King. For now and evermore!"

Almárie drew him to his feet, her eyes locked with his. "By Eru Iluvatar, I, Almárie the Blessed, shall be your servant and your Queen. For now and evermore, and when I am yours, I shall take the name of Aleth, Sindarin for Blessed Female, Mime Melda."

"Then my people shall know you as Alethris. Their Blessed Queen and wait for you to walk in the Great Green Wood now called Eryn Lasgalen. But to me, you shall always be Thorwen, my Thorwen forever, Melleth nin!"

"Then you, Mime Melda, shall be my Thurindaer, my hidden bridegroom, and my only love." Her radiance diminished, and she was Anberenien once more. Thurindaer took her into his arms and they stared into each other's eyes, neither wanting to pull away. Thurindaer brushed the loose strands away from her hair, brushing his lips against hers. He felt her tremble as she received his warm lips, so pulled her close in case she swooned. As he felt her fingers gently caress his braids, the heat of desire welled up within him. He responded by drowning his fingers in her free flowing hair. Their kisses became more passionate as their pent up emotions were finally unleashed.

Galadriel touched the water lightly with her fingers, and the image faded. Celeborn raised an eyebrow as she did so. "They have made a sacred oath to each other. We should intervene before......."

Galadriel placed a finger to his lips. "There is no need. Thranduil will not take her to wife before the proper time. He is bound by his promise to Elrond and King Elessar would not take kindly to such a slight. We shall watch, but not intervene. Let them love without burdens for a little while, for even in peace, a crown is a burden."

------------------------------------

The border guards had spied the wedding party as they reached the bottom of the Dimrill Dale. Their music and laughter were heard long before the party had arrived at Cerin Amroth. Anberenien stood with Celeborn and Galadriel to greet the arriving guests. Elrond and Arwen led the party, and when the music stopped, they both dismounted and greeted Celeborn, Galadriel, and Anberenien. Elrond's eyes were moist as he embraced her. "Anberenien, my younger daughter, you do not know how much joy it brings to have you returned to me at last."

Anberenien smiled. "It brings me much joy too, Father."

Elrond's face was a mixture of joy and pain as he examined Anberenien's hair. "So much pain you have endured. Now it gives me great pleasure to introduce to you,  your 'older' sister, Arwen."

Arwen was taller than Anberenien, and her long raven tresses hung in a braid down her back as she embraced her. "At last we meet, little sister. Your eyes, it is just as father said."

"Father and our brothers have told me so much about you. I feel as if I have known you always." They spoke at length as they grew acquainted. Then Anberenien was reunited with many of the Elves who had raised her in Rivendell. "I hope you made good use of the gift I sent you," said Glorfindel.

Anberenien cast her eyes downward. "The Temple of Morgoth took everything from me when they held me captive. But Calenamath found my effects, including the Mithril shirt, when they purged Dol Guldur. Now they reside in Celeborn's armoury." Glorfindel reassured her it was probably for the best and that it would be some time before she would have need of it again.

"You are not disappointed in me?" asked Anberenien.

Glorfindel laughed. "I could never be disappointed in my most Gracious Princess."

"I hear you have been reorganising the Woodland realm's accounting Ledgers, an unenviable task," said Erestor approvingly.

Anberenien laughed slightly. "And they are likely to be a complete mess again upon my return."

"Wood Elves are not the most organised folk when it comes to such things. But it is nice to know you paid some attention to my lessons," replied Erestor.

Elrond placed his hand on her shoulder. "Would you take a walk with me, Anberenien? I would speak with you alone."

"Of course, father." 

They walked for a long time before speaking. Then Elrond enquired about Anberenien's time in captivity, Radagast's passing, and her healing at the falls of Nimrodel. "I was sorry to hear of Prince Calenamath's death. May his time in Mandos be brief." They embraced again, then Elrond noticed the hooded figure clad in green, watching them from a nearby tree. He turned to Anberenien, his eyebrow raised as he frowned. "He is here, isn't he."

Anberenien's blushed cheeks betrayed her. "The King has sent me a bodyguard, Thurindaer."

"Thurindaer? Anberenien, I am no fool. I know exactly what Thurindaer means. But your betrothed is not without honour, no matter what the dwarves claim." He then raised his voice as he spoke to ensure Thurindaer could hear him. "It shall be interesting to see how long he can keep it up. Who is taking care of the Woodland Realm?"

"The King made Celephinniel Steward."

Elrond cast an eye towards the trees. "I am acquainted with the Lady, a wise choice. Let us hope there will be no......... recklessness on the journey south." He turned back to Anberenien and smiled. "We should return to your sister." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

130 21 7
The Third age draws to a close and the Fourth begins. The world is once again at peace for a time, and the time of men begins. Thranduil's people, be...
557K 21.7K 73
How did it come to this? Loyal to her family, her lands and her people, Théadain, the illegitimate daughter of Théoden, King of Rohan, has little con...
18K 685 31
Here I am back again with my Elfling series here is book l all over again If you haven't read The first or second or third book then I would recommen...
2.5K 87 34
In the dark forest of Mirkwood, shadows are growing, again and again. The leaves are becoming black, as the roots, and as the trees. Birds are not si...