Stay For Me

By phoeberosewrites

All Thea ever wanted was for Rio to wait for her, but will she finally realise that she just needs him to sta... More

stay for me
aesthetics & playlist
01 | memories
02 | different places
03 | grey
04 | manners
05 | ti amo
06 | dear diary
07 | sweetheart
08 | versace on the floor
09 | my dea
10 | freaky
11 | gorgeous
12 | always have, always will
13 | the right reasons
14 | selfless
15 | welcome to the family
16 | babysitter
17 | adore you
18 | this is self control
19 | peter panda
20 | blue glow
21 | wingman
22 | wherefore art thou romeo?
23 | initials
24 | reckless
25 | good listener
26 | balance
27 | sunny
28 | career choices
29 | the wedding
30 | commitment
31 | matchmaker
32 | adventure
33 | silva and sky
34 | boy racer
35 | explanation
36 | forgive me
37 | better than this
38 | moonlight
39 | just a dream
40 | needy
41 | gifts
42 | resolutions
43 | good practise
45 | valentine
46 | cupcakes
47 | mio familia
48 | distractions
49 | forever
epilogue
bonus chapter 1 | the wedding
bonus chapter 2 | the honeymoon
Spin Off's

44 | anniversary

4K 141 76
By phoeberosewrites

❝ 𝑰 𝒕𝒂𝒍𝒌𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝑮𝒐𝒅 𝒂𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖,
𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒂𝒊𝒅 𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒏 𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒍
𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒌 𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒉𝒆 𝒈𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖,
𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒔𝒌𝒆𝒅 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒈𝒐𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐..
𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝑰 𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒍𝒆𝒇𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖,
𝒄𝒂𝒖𝒔𝒆 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚 𝒓𝒐𝒂𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒅𝒔 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒗𝒆𝒏'𝒔
𝒓𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒊𝒏𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 ❞

𝑲𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒆 𝑾𝒆𝒔𝒕

* * * * * * *

T H E A

"You actually managed to keep a child alive for almost twenty-four hours?" Shyla gasps in amazement, her tone completely mocking and sarcastic and I roll my eyes at her, flipping her off playfully.

Brody chuckles amusingly, resting his elbows on the table as he covers his mouth with his hands. "I mean.. you did a better job than what I could." He admits.

A freaking dog could probably do a better job than Brody.

"I thought you guys would've had more faith in me." I say playfully Aven smiles, biting into one of her fries.

"Well if it's any consolation, I did." She replies as she chews her food.

"Ass licker." Brody scoffs and Aven narrows her eyes at him, offering a smug and very forced smile.

We've been at the mall for about two hours now and to say my legs feel like they're about to fall off would probably be more of an understatement than an exaggeration.

Right now we're currently eating McDonald's in the food court because McDonald's is the freaking bomb, obviously. You can't go wrong with a big mac and fries.

"So, Sienna's bump is getting pretty big now, huh?" Shyla comments and I nod, finding myself smiling a little.

"She's due in like, two months." I tell her and her eyes widen slightly.

"Shit, already? That's gone so quick." She replies and I nod again, agreeing with her.

It has. Time has gone so fast and it seems like it's just flashing before my eyes.

We only have five days until Valentine's Day and I'm honestly so excited to actually spend one with Rio. Our first one together, as a couple.

I have no idea what we're going to do because honestly, I haven't planned anything. I didn't really know what to do or what he would like.. so I just went with the easiest option and decided we could just stay in.. I guess.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what we do as long as we spend the day together.

I'm happy as long as I'm with him.

"Hellooo.. Earth to Thea." Brody says sarcastically as he waves his hand in front of my face, snapping me out of my daydream.

"What?" I mumble as my eyes flick between the trio. Shyla exchanges a look with Aven and they both begin to smile. "What?" I ask again, and they both shrug their shoulders nonchalantly.

"You're thinking about Mr tall dark and handsome again, aren't you?" Aven teases and I roll my eyes, pressing my lips together to refrain from grinning.

The thing about having friends, is that they actually grow to know you better than you know yourself. There isn't anything that I can get away with when it comes to Aven and Shyla.

They know me like a god damn book.

"Maybe." I reply with a growing smile and Brody pretends to gag.

"Ew, let's not think about Raven in that way, thanks. Now that we're all getting loved up and shit, I'm the odd one out. I don't like it." He explains and I arch a brow.

This boy literally has no idea, does he?

"What?" He asks when Shyla, Aven and myself all exchange funny looks.

"Brods, are you blind or just fucking stupid?" Shyla mutters and he widens his eyes at her comment, completely confused by our reactions.

Still clearly not having a clue about what we're trying to say, I lean forward in my seat, stealing his attention. "You can't seriously tell us that you haven't noticed Silva desperately trying to get your attention since, like.. forever?"

His brows knit together, looking at me as if he thinks I'm joking and I purse my lips, tilting my head as I wait for him to reply. "Silva?" He repeats.

"The guy basically drools over you at any given opportunity but every time you've been around him, you were just too wasted to even realise." Aven chimes and he looks towards her, his brows still kitted together with confusion.

"Silva?" He says again and we all groan.

"Yes!" We all exclaim in unison and he pokes the inside of his mouth with his tongue.

"God Brods, you're so oblivious sometimes." I joke and he stares past me as though he's thinking about something.

Or someone.

My outing with the girls and Brody earlier was definitely well needed. I bought myself some more clothes and accessories to add to my ridiculous collection that's now almost falling out of my closet.

Not that I actually needed three more pairs of sneakers, a dozen T-shirts and dresses, and ten thousands pairs of leggings.. but I guess they needed me a lot more.

A little retail therapy never hurt anyone, I suppose.

"I like those sneakers, Thea!" Ellerie compliments as I take them out of the box. "They're like rainbows and I love rainbows."

I smile at her as I glance back down at the pastel coloured airforce while I hold them in my hand. "Thank you. They're very colourful, aren't they?" I chuckle and she nods her head, smiling brightly.

"Maybe I can get those for my birthday if I'm super good and eat all my dinner every day, and then we can be matching!" She exclaims and I raise my brows at her enthusiastic outburst.

She wants to be twins with me? And there was me thinking this girl couldn't possibly get any cuter.

"Maybe if we ask Rio nicely, he will get you a pair before your birthday." I suggest and she gasps, her cheeks lifting into a cheeky grin.

I have a very funny feeling that I'm going to end up being one of those parents that when asked something by their child that is a little risky, my answer will just be 'we'll ask daddy.' Because at the end of the day, who could say no to a pleading child and an equally eager mom?

I know I couldn't.

"Yay! Rio will really say yes if you ask him too!" Ellerie squeals and I can't help but laugh. Perhaps she knows Rio better than I initially thought too.

"Here," I say as I pass them to her. "Try them on."

Her eyes widen as she strolls towards me, uncertainty clear on her face. "But they will be too big." She comments and I nod my head, closing the box as I smile down at her.

"I know," I reply amusingly. "Let's just take a look." I add as I help her sit down on the end of the bed and slip into the sneakers.

The most chirpiest giggle escapes her lips as she can barely control her laughter while she stares at herself in the mirror. "Thea! I look so silly!" She scolds playfully as she shakes her head, clasping her hands over her mouth.

"You look very.. interesting." I reply with a grin and she attempts to walk in them, barely able to lift the shoes off the floor, they're that heavy on her.

Rio appears, standing by the doorway as he looks on at the pair of us in amusement. Ell looks up at him and begins to laugh even more, trying to lift her leg up so that he can see, but almost falls over.

"You look like a clown." He comments and I tilt my head at his response. He quickly notices and clears his throat, glancing back down towards Ellerie. "A very cute clown, though." He adds and I feel a smug smirk playing on my lips.

Perhaps he is just a little ol' simp when it comes to me. Who would've thought, Rio Mason being a simp for his girlfriend.

If I could evil laugh out loud right now, I would.

Disney, hire me.

"Rio! Thea said if I ask nicely, you can get me a pair so we can be matching and twins!" She beams happily and Rio arches a dark brow, lifting his head up towards me and parts his lips.

"Did she now?" He questions and Ellerie nods her head eagerly. "Thea, what do you have to say for yourself?" He asks playfully.

I shrug my shoulders sheepishly, offering my best innocent smile. "Just that we know how you're the best big brother in the whole wide world and would stop at nothing to make princess Ellerie happy." I say slyly. "Even if it means getting her some sneakers so we could be matching." I add quickly.

"So you're manipulating me?" He replies suggestively and I tilt my head slightly, looking up at the ceiling as I furrow my brows.

"Well I wouldn't exactly say manipulation, that's a pretty strong word." I reply teasingly and he wets his lips, giving me the look.

Oh damn.. I know that look.

That's the look I get when I accidentally roll my eyes at him.

Maybe I should shut up now.

Or not.

__________

My eyes spring open suddenly, my body jumping awake as a strong feeling of uneasiness floods through my body.

Lifting my head up, I rub my eyes with the back of my hand as I turn to the side that Rio sleeps, but the bed is empty.

I look around the room, wondering where he could be when I start to panic a little. Rio never gets up in the middle of the night. Unless something is wrong with Knox or Ellerie?

Has one of them had a nightmare and he just didn't want to wake and disturb me?

I glance towards the en-suite, the door open ajar but the light is off, meaning he obviously isn't in there either.

Getting up from the bed, I pick up my silk robe and put it on before leaving the room to look for him. Making sure to be as quiet as possible, I head down the hall and towards Knox's room first, slowly opening the door and peering inside.

He's sleeping soundly in his bed, with no sign of Rio in the room.

Furrowing my brows, I close the door and head towards Ellerie's, doing the same and peering inside, expecting to see Rio sat on the end of her bed.. but I don't.

She's fast asleep, hugging a her small fluffy bunny.. Rio nowhere in sight.

Where the hell is he?

I decide to check downstairs in case he's gone to the kitchen to get a late night snack or some water, which I know that he never does.. but there's a first time for everything I suppose.

My eyes land on the small digital clock by the refrigerator, noticing that it reads 2:45am. Feeling myself begin to panic now that it appears he isn't actually in the house, I turn around and decide to head back upstairs to get my phone and call him, when something catches the corner of my eye.

I stop and slowly look back towards the large window overlooking the backyard, spotting someone sat on one of Ellerie's swings.

Gulping, I walk towards the window and narrow my eyes a little, trying to work out who it is in the freaking pitch black. They turn their head to the side slightly and that's when I get a glimpse of who it is.

Rio.

Confused as to what he's actually doing, I walk over to the sliding doors and open them, cautiously heading outside and making my way towards him.

Feeling the cold breeze from the midnight air, I wrap my arms around myself, closing my robe around me a little more to try to keep some sort of heat in my body.

He looks up, noticing me nearing closer to him but doesn't say anything, instead just looking back up at the sky as he swings subtly back and forth, his feet still on the ground.

I sit down on the swing beside his, silence still completely surrounding us as neither of us speak to each other.

About a minute must go by before he eventually breaks the suffocating silence. "It's my moms anniversary today." He says quietly and my eyes widen, genuinely not even realising that it was today.

I can't believe I didn't realise. Why didn't I realise?

I've been so consumed in my own life and trying to play god damn matchmaker with my friends, that I completely forgot about Carmella's anniversary.

What the hell is wrong with me?

"Rio —" I whisper but realise that I don't actually know what to say.

"We all usually go to the cemetery to see her together, but I want you to come with us this time. That's if you want to, obviously." He mumbles and I place my hand on top of his, squeezing it slightly.

"Of course I'll come. I'll be honoured to." I tell him.

He offers me a faint smile before looking up towards the starry sky, taking in a long and rather deep breath. I remove my hand from his and place it on the rope of the swing, attempting to keep balanced as I swing slightly.

"I miss her, angelo. I miss her so fucking much." He breathes as he runs a hand through his thick raven locks, gulping visibly.

I want to say that I know but the truth is, I don't. I don't know what he's going throughs or what he's feeling. I have absolutely no idea. Honestly, I don't think I'd even have the strength to have gone through what he has and still manage to be sitting here, right now.

"She was the most beautiful person, inside and out. She made me laugh all the time and never had a bad word to say about anyone, no matter who they were." He continues and I decide to just sit and listen to him.

"She made sure she gave me everything she could, doing her best to keep me and Knox away from the life my uncles lead. She was just so desperate for us to lead a normal life that she lost control in what she thought was normal." He wipes his nose with the back of his hand and glances down at the ground.

"You're both so similar. The way you smile, the way you think so practically about things, your ability to be so fucking selfless and kind all the time. I always thought that I didn't deserve that. I didn't deserve her kindness, and that I didn't deserve yours."

I chew on the inside of my mouth, feeling the bile starting to rise in the back of my throat. "I should've done more to help her. I should've stopped him.. protected her. Loosing her almost broke me, Thea. And I swore to never ever let myself feel love for someone else because I didn't want to have to got through that again."

"That's why I pushed you away when we first met. I just couldn't let myself fall for you. I couldn't allow the walls I spent so fucking hard trying to build, to crumble in front of me. But you were just so damn beautiful and there was just something about you that almost drew me towards you." He continues and I feel tears beginning to prick at my eyes, my vision becoming glossy.

He inhales a deep breath, staring back up at the ceiling. "I let my mom down time and time again, and I could almost feel history repeating itself with you. From the run-ins with Navy and the others at the tracks, to the time that guy tried to hurt you at the drone. The stunt Navy and Palmer pulled with your car.. to Ricky."

I instantly feel myself freeze at the mention of Ricky, my mouth automatically turning dry as I gulp back the huge lump in the back of my throat.

"I just kept letting you down too, Thea.. and it killed me because I knew that I felt something so strong for you. I allowed myself to become vulnerable again, all because you made me feel as though I could."

"You didn't let me down, Rio." I reassure him but he shakes his head, dismissing me.

"Yes I did Thea. Everything that ever happened to you since we met, was because of me. All of it. And I'm so fucking sorry." He says, his voice breaking as a single tear falls from his eye.

My chest hurts. It physically hurts me to see him like this. I hate it.

"I've never had the guidance from my dad that I needed growing up." He admits. "He didn't teach me to ride a bike or how to treat a woman right. He didn't teach my right from wrong or how to even love."

I find myself frowning even more as he continues speaking, now starting to cry myself. No one deserves to go through what he has. If there was a way I could take it all back, I would. I'd do anything.

"My mom used to tell me that one day, I'd be happy. That I'd find someone so special and that it would change me and my life." He mumbles. "I didn't believe her of course. I was convinced that I couldn't be loved and that I definitely couldn't reciprocate it—"

I shake my head, my eyebrows furrowing at his words. "But you can." I assure him, cutting him off. "You're so worthy Rio. You're so lovable, and being fortunate enough to be blessed with the opportunity to actually love you is the best gift I could ever receive."

"Loving you is the best part about my life Thea, and I plan on doing it forever." He murmurs as he leans forward, gently pressing his lips against mine.

__________

AN: hi guys, hope you're all okay.

So, Rio finally opened up to Thea a little more about his past and I'm sooo damn proud of him. He deserves the world ☹️

*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 45.3K 66
I look out the window behind him and take both of his hands in mine. Should I tell him? Would I open up old wounds that I've tried so hard to heal, f...
91.2K 2K 49
× Book One Of The Red Mafia Series × "I don't understand how you could do that to me. I trusted you." I whimpered. "That's your fault." "I hate you...
725K 24.7K 139
'"You're a liar. You're a dirty fucking liar," I sob. Despite the fact that I want nothing more than to run away from the man standing in front of me...
5.2K 834 52
Tiziano sucks at soccer. For the past two years he's had a crush on Simone, the team's star player, who barely knows he exists. And then there's Cla...