Hadrian Potter, Revenge (A Ha...

By MORTEMAMIGO

Hadrian grows up alone in the obscure shadow of his younger brother, Daniel Potter, The-Boy-Lived. Daniel is... More

The Brother Without
Storm Of Home
Phoenix of the Jungle
Silent Contemplation
Stolen Profanities
The Station
The Manor
The Summer Party
The Start of Unwelcome Conversations
Confrontations
Hatred
Morti
Barmaid's and Beer
Blood Lines
Cobra's Strike
Plans and Observations
Fear The Wolf
An Intolerable Future
Dark Times
Mafia Murder
Blood Money
Murderous Suffocation
The Party
Smashed Glass
Miserable Memories
Thunder and Lightening
Maternal Hate
Past Nightmares

Truth at Midnight

9K 242 63
By MORTEMAMIGO

'Oh... you're all alone.'

...

A conflicted aura entered Hadrian's sphere it seemed -

"Hadrian," the voice interrupted Hadrian's thoughts.

Hadrian picked up his suit jacket and pulled it on, one sleeve at a time. Painfully slow. The green material melted warmly to his figure, highlighting his tall muscular frame. Long strong fingers buttoned the emerald waist, pulling it snuggly around his centre.

Hadrian turned slowly, towards the voice.

Daphne Greengrass stood in the doorway to Malfoy Manor. There was an indignant fire in her eyes that Hadrian could only suspect was a result of being made to wait. Hadrian had taken his time on purpose, not to annoy Daphne, but to give himself a moment to think.

He needed a clear head.

The dark haired beauty crossed her arms slowly, a look of amused understanding crossing her dark features. Daphne brushed up against the doorway, her shoulder leaning in, resting against it. A curved slender hip jutted out to the side. The movement wasn't intended to be seductive. Hadrian almost laughed. Daphne, at times, seemed to have no idea how beautiful she was. Even when she seemed to be aware of it, she saw it as a curse rather than a gift.

"Something's happened," Hadrian said, finally disclosing.

As soon as he uttered those words Hadrian felt a small weight lift off his shoulders, allowing him to relax slightly. Completely unaware of the effect on Hadrian, Daphne laughed, her beautiful face morphing into a multitude of emotions before finally resting on a picture of mocking refuge.

"No shit," Daphne laughed once more, the light sound reverberating into the night.

Hadrian's body shook with a rush of indignant anger. Daphne's sharp disrespectful tone seemed to have hit a nerve. There was a fleeting nervousness that shone in her eyes, forcing Hadrian to try to reign in his reaction.

Well, as much as he could, it was starting to get harder.

Daphne saw the change in Hadrian, a momentary viscousness, a flash of rage contorting his usually cool expression. But then it was gone making her wonder if she had seen anything at all. Daphne blinked, centering herself before stepping out from the safety of the manor to walk towards Hadrian. The stunning green dress shimmered in the night, reflecting off the light of the moon. The earthy sequins shone back against the skin of her neck, causing appealing swirling patterns to dance upon her throat.

"Look, Hadrian, I love you..." Daphne paused, collecting her thoughts.

"But..." Hadrian laughed mockingly.

"You're not nice," Daphne stated, eyes narrowing at Hadrian's mood, "you never have been. And that's ok. We know that and we're used to it. But you usually have boundaries - a line you don't cross, especially when it comes to us. What just happened upstairs, was beyond anything you've ever done before. That wasn't just about Pansy, something else is going on..."

"I don't want to talk about what happened with Pansy," Hadrian snapped.

"Well, we're going to," Daphne stepped closer, clenching her small fists.

"Are we?" Hadrian's eyes twinkled a little darker, looking down at her, "really?"

Daphne hated it when he used that damn condescending tone. She had heard him use it plenty of times at Hogwarts. It was Hadrian's go-to for subjecting the students that pissed him off to humiliation and embarrassment. That nonchalant patronisation was so fucking effective, that it always brought tears to their eyes. It wasn't often that he used it on his friends, but when he did, it seemed twice as hurtful.

"Hadrian," Daphne spoke calmly through her irritation, "her father is off limits."

"So... she told you, did she?" Hadrian laughed, turning away slightly.

"Of course, she told me," Daphne breathed in irritation, "you threatened her."

"And what was the alternative?" Hadrian's posture remained the same, only his eyes flicked toward her, "let her become high society's whore?"

"You weren't so concerned when she was the whore in your bed," Daphne snapped.

The words had escaped her before she knew what she was saying. As they fell from her mouth, Daphne instantly regretted them. She watched as Hadrian flinched back, but not out of anger or irritation. This time, the movement was like a whipping slap - pure stinging shock. Despite the brutal cruelness of Daphne's words, the ugly, unsettling truth had hit Hadrian hard. He stared at her, stunned; his brows low and drawn, his lips parted. Daphne opened her mouth as if to say something, but she couldn't find the words.

Hadrian's bright unnaturally green met her own, and at that moment, Daphne wanted to disappear. There was a sudden vulnerability about him that made her want to reach out and comfort him. But then, in a second, it was gone. Hadrian suddenly straightened, all traces of shock and vulnerability abruptly vanishing from his face. A darkening chuckle escaped him, slipping through his perfect mask like water through cracked stone.

"So, what..." Hadrian said, taking a breath to smile, it wasn't a nice one, "I'm just like him?"

Daphne looked away, wishing she had never gone there. She had the instant urge to run and hide, but she knew she couldn't. It didn't stop her from thinking how nice it would be to run into the forest, fall upon the earth, and crawl into a small, dark hole. What a wonderful place to be - all safe and alone. Instead, she just stood there, rooted to the spot with her dark eyes fixed on the side of Hadrian Potter's beautiful face.

"No, no," Hadrian chuckled again as if sensing her mental detachment.

He took her chin, gently between his fingers, and for a moment, Daphne thought the action was almost sincere. And yet, as with everything with Hadrian, there was a violence behind it that she couldn't ignore. Daphne made herself look him in the eyes. They were even more intimidating up close - bright, intelligent green, with motes of darker emerald and silver caught in the iris.

Beautiful eyes, she thought.

Deadly eyes, serpents had eyes like that.

"There you are," Hadrian said, looking down at her through those hooded eyes.

"Hadrian." Daphne tried to warn before he pushed it too far.

Her voice sounded strange even to her own ears, but she ignored it, instead, shifting her weight from one tall, black stiletto to the other. And then suddenly, the beautiful boy leaned down, so he was a breath away from her face. Daphne's eyes widened a small fraction, the dark brown scanning his features, looking for a hint to what he might be thinking. But, she could read nothing in his face about his intent, absolutely nothing.

"No one is off limits." Hadrian snarled with clenched teeth.

Daphne stilled, suddenly frozen to the spot.

She had become a statue.

Now it was her turn to look as if she had just been physically struck. Hadrian stepped back, his gaze locking on to the scattered thoughts that roamed chaotically within Daphne's dark eyes. He took another step back as if to give himself a better view of her... frozenness. At the sight of him backing away, Daphne started breathing again. The breath that blew out of her throat almost burst the seams of her chest, as if the stone of her frame had cracked.

"What?" Daphne eventually breathed, stunned.

Daphne looked at Hadrian, truly looked at him. The beautiful dark eyes scoured his body for something that might give away what he was thinking. Daphne gripped her hands into small fists, trying to centre herself. The boy in front of her looked unforgiving and forcefully magnificent. But, there was a loss about him, a fragment of chaos that suggested he didn't have full control of himself.

"So, following your logic," Daphne took a step closer, "one day you would come for me?"

Hadrian's body didn't move... at all.

The posture of his body was contemplative, yet completely inhuman. The way he held his arms, poised his spine, grounded his legs, angled his head - it was a picture of predatory prowess. Daphne stared at him hard, not allowing him to use his body to intimidate her. But then, it was also entirely obvious that he was in no way meaning to scare her - the bearing of his body was simply an instinctual unconscious act.

"You would never betray me," Hadrian laughed without humour.

"Betray you how?" Daphne snapped.

The dark haired girl stepped forward, her feet steady and assured. She lifted her small slender hand and pressed it against his chest, pushing him slightly. Hadrian didn't seem shocked by the action, nor did he react in any way. He let his feet fall back a step, watching Daphne like she was a trapped animal, capable of anything.

"What will I do to betray you, Hadrian?" Daphne continued after an immense beat.

Hadrian simply continued to stare.

"Not follow your every whim?" Daphne snapped, breathing hard, "Refuse to follow your orders?"

"What are you talking about?" Hadrian snapped back.

"There doesn't seem to be anything that you won't forgive. Everything everyone does pisses you off. So I'm just wondering what will I do one day that will make you come for me? What small, inconsequential mistake will you condemn me for?" Daphne snapped.

There was a beat of chaotic silence that stretched for a couple of seconds. The air was now tinged with an agonised stirring that made the night seem cooler. In the silence, all that could be heard was the sound of Daphne's heavy agitated breath that was matched only with the deep rise of her chest.

Daphne's smooth tanned skin shone under the moonlight. The angles of her cheekbones seemed more defined in the darkness as if the shadows had swarmed in response to her fury. The dark brown eyes that brimmed with unshed tears, reflected the outline of Hadrian's silhouette. There couldn't be a single piece of art that inflicted as much pain as this current sight.

"Why are you acting like I've betrayed you?" Hadrian expressed, frowning.

"Because you have," Daphne said after a moment, still sounding breathless, "You've betrayed all of us. You tell us nothing but ask for everything. You cannot see what's right in front of you. We are right here and we are with you. But all you do is snap your fingers and expect us to come running. We are not pawns in your little game. We are your friends."

"You think I don't know that?" Hadrian laughed humourlessly.

"I wouldn't know," Daphne snapped with a haughty look on her face.

"Careful," Hadrian growled taking a step closer.

"Or what?" Daphne shouted, lifting her arms wide in bewilderment, "What are you going to do?"

Daphne stepped forward again so that she was right in front of him. Even though she was wearing a pair of fairly tall heels, she still only managed to reach the height of his shoulders. Unfortunately for her, this meant she had to crane her neck to look up at him. The spark of frustration was still active in Hadrian's beautiful green eyes, giving his gaze an added intensity.

"Can't you see what I'm trying to do?" Hadrian said, sounding frustrated.

"And how would you suppose I do that?" Daphne said with a fake sweetness, "You don't tell us anything!"

"Fuck!" Hadrian snapped after a beat.

Hadrian turned, raising his hands, and placing them on his head. The strong fingers gripped desperately to handfuls of dark black hair. Daphne watched as the beautiful boy closed his eyes, the action was so desperate, so exhausted, that she felt a sudden tightness in her throat. The sensation was not unlike being strangled, she placed her long slender fingers against the skin of her throat as if to pull away the constriction.

"I killed him," Hadrian spoke into the dark as his hands slowly fell from his hair.

"W..what?" Daphne gasped, her throat still tight with emotion.

As Hadrian turned to face her Daphne was struck with a new picture. This was unlike all the others, an image of suppressed guilt, glossing over his usual demeanour.

"You've heard of the Order of the Phoenix?" Hadrian questioned with a quick breath.

"Yes, my parents have mentioned it, but wha..." Daphne's face froze.

Hadrian's eyes flared, as he nodded, knowing that she had understood what he was suggesting.

"No..."

"Yes."

"Hadrian..." Daphne stuttered out, "you..."

"I didn't know..." Hadrian looked frustrated at himself.

"You didn't know?" Daphne repeated simply.

"He was following us," Hadrian paused, then after a beat, "I thought he was a fucking low-life muggle."

"Why would you think he was a muggle?" Daphne frowned, crossing her arms.

"There's some things..." Hadrian started, but Daphne got there first.

"You need to tell us," she finished.

"Yes," Hadrian said almost absentmindedly.

"Hadrian," Daphne stepped forward in support, "you need to be completely honest. No more secrets, complete disclosure."

"I know," Hadrian said with a sigh.

"Who else knows?" Daphne asked after a moment.

"Just Alec," Hadrian responded firmly.

"Alec," Daphne smiled, "Of course, your dog on a leash."

Hadrian snapped his head to look at her, startled by her comment. Daphne had never seemed to have a problem with Alec before. She was one of the few girls that Alec could stand to talk to for more than a few minutes. Most people found the boy unbearably blunt and his seeming disinterest a blatant turn-off. But not Daphne, she had always gravitated toward him.

Daphne's eyes squinted in suspicion as her gaze roamed Hadrian's face. A flicker of understanding swept over her features as she seemed to know where Hadrian's mind had just gone.

"Oh no," Daphne scoffed, "Don't do that..."

"Do what?" Hadrian asked, his features flattening into a deceitful image of confusion.

"I don't have a problem with Alec," Daphne stated clearly, her palms up adamantly, "I just say it how I see it. All you have to say is fetch and Alec comes running back with blood running down his chin and a dead body on his back."

"Alec didn't kill anyone." Hadrian snapped.

Now, that made Daphne pause.

Perhaps, she thought it would be easier if she distanced Hadrian from murder by blaming Alec. And that was not an attack on Alec, he just wasn't standing right in front of her. If their roles were reversed she would have probably blamed Hadrian. She stood there still as a statue, her eyes glittering with some sort of deep inner battle.

Hadrian was a killer.

Despite the horror of those words, nothing changed for her. It didn't change a thing about how she felt, about him and their friendship. All she needed to do now was to find a way to out of this.

If anyone suspected, they would be finished.

After a moment of thought, Daphne looked up at Hadrian, her eyes finding his instantly. A blinding blaze of faith and trust hit her squarely in the chest. She could almost taste it, his belief in her. He didn't look at her like she was a weak fragile doll, like every other man did, including her father. Hadrian looked at her as if she was strong, powerful, and completely trustworthy. The feeling was just as motivating as it was overwhelming, a slight weight of responsibility clambered it way onto her shoulders.

"Imagine if we were asked about this..." Daphne said suddenly, frowning up at Hadrian, "We can't protect you if you don't tell us about this shit."

"I didn't tell you because I didn't want you involved," Hadrian snapped, a hand raking through his hair.

"And Alec?" Daphne said, "How did he get a front seat to Murderville?"

"Alec is different," Hadrian gritted his teeth, not impressed by her attempt at humour.

"Oh really?" Daphne laughed, turning away from him, "and how is Alec different?"

"He's already ruined," Hadrian snapped, grabbing hold of her arm, and turning her back to look at him, "You aren't. Despite what the pricks at school say - all of you are good. I'm headed down a path right now, and I'll be damned if I bring you all down with me."

"You don't get it," Daphne snatched her arm back from his grasp, "You don't get to decide. Not about this, not about our lives and what we choose to do with them."

"And if you die?" Hadrian yanked her arm back, pulling her to his chest.

"We've chosen our side, and there's nothing you can do about it," Daphne smiled sadly, "so, instead of pushing us away, let us in and let us help."

Hadrian's hold on her arm relaxed, as did his entire body. A deep breath of relief took away the tension that fused his muscles to stone. For once, Hadrian looked like a teenager and not the overpowering monster she knew that he could be.

"Let her go!"

The voice tore through the air.

Both Hadrian and Daphne turned towards the sharp, significant sound. Narcissa Malfoy stood in the same doorway that Daphne had occupied not long ago. There was a deep frown covering her face, while her eyes glittered with a rage that only mothers seemed to enrapture. It was clear, by the look on her face and the way her eyes pierced the grip of Hadrian's hand on Daphne's arm, what she thinking.

"Fuck sake." Hadrian snapped under his breath.

"I said let go." Narcissa snapped, walking towards them.

Hadrian knew he should let go of Daphne's arm, it would've been the smart thing to do. But after growing up practically alone, he wasn't exactly accustomed to being told what to do. Narcissa Malfoy was and always would be the closest thing Hadrian had to a mother.

But she wasn't his mother, she was Draco's mother.

The combination of independence and insolence, that all orphaned children seemed to conserve, rose within Hadrian's chest. The animal instincts rolled through his bones and he felt ushered with power. Daphne felt Hadrian grip her arm tighter, it wasn't enough to hurt but enough to make a point. Daphne looked at Hadrian, noticing how the position of his body had changed.

It was tense, defensive, feral.

At that moment, Daphne felt like his meal, one that he was protecting from approaching predators. The outline of his body seemed to be completely instinctual, not at all considered. At that current moment, Hadrian didn't seem to care if he was being overtly threatening, he was simply playing by the rules of the jungle.

"Hadrian..." Daphne whispered under her breath.

Hadrian's eyes snapped towards her in a heated flicker, and to Daphne's shock, the green of his eyes was flooded with a deep bright red. The blood tone was fighting for a stake in his consciousness.

It was a fight between a man and an animagus.

If Hadrian wasn't careful, the wolf would win.

....

'Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

187K 5.7K 50
Harry Potter is a very powerful wizard.He isn't afraid of dying.He will show what he is capable of and many people will fear him.This is a very rando...
1.1M 36.5K 32
It's Harry's 4th year at Hogwarts and his name has just come out of the Goblet of Fire. Everyone has abandoned him and he feels utterly alone. Throug...
490 14 23
When Violet, Harrison, and Clara are ripped from their respective realities, their first thought is to get back home. However, each of them discovers...
110K 1.5K 30
Hadrian Potter was always neglected by his family and his brother because they think that his brother James Potter Jr is the boy who lived when in re...