Starting Over

By BasicallyBrandi

Caroline was his soul mate, but just a month after the birth of their second child she passed away. Luke and... More

Chapter 1- How It All Began
Chapter 2- The Fall of the House of Bryan
Chapter 3- The Lectures
Chapter 4- The Meltdown
Chapter 5- Everything's Too Late
Chapter 6- Confessions
Chapter 7- I Love You!
Chapter 8- Wait? What?
Chapter 9- Bridget's Sisters
Chapter 10- Thanksgiving Eve Morning
Chapter 11- A Day at Vanderbilt Medical Center
Chapter 12- Our Dramatic Thanksgiving
Chapter 13- The Nut House Christmas Party
Chapter 14- Leaving Home
Chapter 15- Dirt Road Diaries
Chapter 16- Another Trip to Vanderbilt...
Chapter 17- A Day Out on the Farm
Chapter 18- Caroline's Letters
Chapter 19- She Knew
Chapter 20- Talk It Out
Chapter 21- Welcome, Tia!
Chapter 22- My SHLB!
Chapter 23- Mystery Illness
Chapter 24- Do What?
Chapter 25- Announcing the News to the Family
Chapter 26- On the Road
Chapter 27- A Day in the Life....
Chapter 28- Father's Day
Chapter 29- Celebrity Karaoke: Couples Edition
Chapter 30- It's My Birthday!
Chapter 31- Flights, Layovers, & Unruly Passengers
Chapter 32- Backed Against A Wall
Chapter 33- Her Next Caroline
Chapter 34- 54785 Kane Ranch Road
Chapter 35- Packages & Letters
Chapter 36- Road Trip
Chapter 37- Back to Tennessee
Chapter 38- Kidnapped
Chapter 39- The Cabin
Chapter 40- Redbird
Chapter 41- Our Arrival at Blackberry Farm
Chapter 42- Our Wedding
Chapter 43- The Reception
Chapter 44- Delays, Delays, Delays
Chapter 45- Turks and Caicos
Chapter 46- Realization
Chapter 47- Our New Reality
Chapter 48- To Kentucky in a Blizzard?
Chapter 49- Snow Day
Chapter 50- Day One
Chapter 51- Going Home
Chapter 52- The Trial
Chapter 53- Our Crazy Life
Chapter 54- Bridget's Birthday
Chapter 55- Moving Day
Chapter 56- Luke's Birthday
Chapter 57- Where is Everyone?
Chapter 59- I'm Going Home Now!
Chapter 60- What's Wrong With Kenzie?
Chapter 61- She's Going to be Okay
Chapter 62- The Hermitage Hotel
Chapter 63- Farm Tour
Chapter 64- Leesburg, Georgia
Chapter 65- The Interview
Chapter 66- Happy 1st Birthday, Keegan & Kinley!
Chapter 67- Back to Leesburg
Chapter 68- Talking with Jordan
Chapter 69- The Funeral
Chapter 70- Our Secret Spot
Chapter 71- What? No!
Chapter 72- A Night Out
Chapter 73- The Results
Chapter 74- The Will
Chapter 75- Tweet, Tweet, Tweet
Chapter 76- Caroline's Letters...Again
Chapter 77- Just Me & The Boys
Chapter 78- Whiney, Complaining Luke
Chapter 79- I Tried
Chapter 80- It's Christmas
Chapter 81- Mexico Beach
Chapter 82- New York City
Chapter 83- We're All Sick
Chapter 84- Crash My Playa- Part 1
Chapter 85- Crash My Playa-Part 2
Chapter 86- On the Road Again
Chapter 87- Fast
Chapter 88- Welcome to Louisville
Chapter 89- Europe Bound
Chapter 90- We're Home
Chapter 91- Spring Break... Checkin' Out (Part 1)
Chapter 92- Spring Break... Checkin' Out (Part 2)
Chapter 93- Bad News
Chapter 94- Laid to Rest
Chapter 95- ACM Cabela's Archery Event
Chapter 96- It's ACM Day!
Chapter 97- The Nuthouse Fan Club Party
Chapter 98- My Beautiful Life

Chapter 58- I've Got to Fix This

1K 46 7
By BasicallyBrandi

I can’t believe that Luke made a scene in front of God and everyone. That will make the news tonight. I have to get out of here. When I started the truck I saw the fury in Luke’s eyes, but it was more than that. There was a certain level of pain.

“Come on, Bridge,” I heard Luke scream as I backed out of the parking spot.

I went straight to the airport, but I was running late thanks to Luke. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot my phone started ringing. It was Brit.

“Where are you at?” Brit asked as soon as I answered.

“I just pulled into the parking lot. I’m sorry I’m late. I ran into Luke,” I answered her.

“You talked to Luke?” Brit questioned.

“Yes and no,” I answered, “Where are you?”

“Just pull up out front,” Brit said, “I’ll be there.”

“Alright,” I told her as I hung up the phone.

Just a matter of minutes later I was pulling up to the front of Nashville International Airport. Brit was right there, just like she said she would be.

“So, where are we going?” Brit asked as I pulled onto the interstate.

“Either to your place or a hotel,” I told her.

“Oh,” Brit said with a puzzled expression, “I assumed we would go back to your place.”

“Luke’s in town,” I informed her, “I really don’t want to talk to him.”

“Bridget, how many times do I have to tell you to talk to him? He loves you and would never do anything to hurt you,” Brit exclaimed.

“Can we just talk about Luke later?” I asked, “I just want to be able to relax for a bit.”

“Let’s go to my house. Since Jason isn’t home no one will expect anyone to be there and we won’t have to worry about anyone,” Brit said.

Traffic was horrible, so it took almost an hour to get to Brit and Jason’s house. I unloaded my one bag and Brit grabbed hers before she unlocked the door. She sat her bag next to the couch and went straight to the kitchen.

“Red or white?” Brit asked me as she held up two different bottles of wine.

“White,” I told her, “You know I don’t like red wine.”

“True,” Brit yelled from the kitchen not realizing I was heading that direction.

“So,” I said as I sat on the island and kicked off my shoes.

“So, what? You’re the one who had to have me here,” Brit said as she hopped up on the counter across from me.

“I just don’t know where to begin. I just feel like my world is falling apart. I never would have thought Luke would have done that. I though he was different,” I explained to Brit before taking a big swig of White Zinfandel.

“Bridget, can you honestly say that you think that he would hurt you like that? He has admitted that he’s always been in love with you. That he pretty much never was in love with Caroline. How can you doubt him?” Brit asked me.

“Because every guy I have ever been with has done it. They’ve all cheated in one way or the other. I’m always left with a broken heart in the end. Why not just get this over now?” I answered Brit.

“Bridget Bryan! Luke isn’t every other guy you’ve been with! He would give up everything for you! He’s talked to Jason about it! He’s really considering it too! Do you want that for him? Do you want him to give up everything he’s ever dreamed of because of you?” Brit yelled at me.

“He wouldn’t do that. He loves it too much,” I doubted what she told me.

“I’m not kidding, Bridget. He’s really considered just quitting,” Brit assured me, “Bridget, you have to make this right. You have to realize that Luke isn’t every guy you have ever dated. Luke is your husband and he loves you more than anyone else I’ve ever met. You and Luke have a connection that is just amazing. It’s like you know what the other is thinking. You know him better than anyone else in this world. Do you really believe what you are saying? Do you really think he wouldn’t give it all up tomorrow if he thought it would fix your marriage?”

I just sat there and stared at her. I knew he would. He would give it all up in a second for his family or our marriage. I knew I had to hear him out and fix this. After all I do love him.

“It has to be on my terms. It has to be because I’m ready,” I finally spoke.

“What do you mean?” Brit asked me as she poured us another glass of wine.

“I’m not ready. I just want to be mad right now. I know I’m wrong. I can feel it. I could see it in Luke’s face this afternoon, but I have to do it when I’m ready,” I answered her.

“Bridget, you can’t wait forever,” Brit enlightened me.

“I know. I’ll call him tomorrow. I’ll tell him I’m ready to talk, but I will be there before he gets off stage Thursday in Dallas,” I informed her, “I just want tonight just me and you. Just a girl’s night.”

“And another bottle of wine!” Brit said as we both laughed.

Brit got another bottle of wine and we ended up in the living room. Before long we had all of the furniture moved back and were having a big dance party, just the two of us. Just like those dance parties like I have with the kids. Eventually we collapsed on the couch.

“Oh my God! Brittany! It’s almost noon! You’re going to miss your flight!” I screamed as I woke up and looked at the clock.

“Dammit! There’s no way I’m going to be able to make it!” Brit shouted as she looked at the clock.

“I thought your plane didn’t leave until two?” I questioned.

“Jason changed it at the last minute,” Brit informed me, “It leaves in twenty minutes.”

“I’m sorry,” I apologized.

“It’s not your fault. I told Jason not to change it. I’ll just call real quick and see if I can’t get on a later flight.” Brit said as she grabbed her phone.

As she made the call I went to the kitchen and grabbed some Aleve and a bottle of water for both of us. As I walked back to the living room Brit was getting off the phone.

“I’m on the two o’clock flight,” Brit said as she grabbed the Aleve and a bottle of water from me.

“Well, I guess we better get going,” I told her.

“No, you go so you can call Luke. I called a cab. I’ll be fine,” Brit informed me, “Maybe if you leave soon you can talk to him before he leaves.”

“Are you sure?” I asked her.

“I’m positive. You go fix your marriage and both of your hearts!” Brit smiled as she started pushing me out the door.

“Bye, Brit. Thank you,” I told her as I gave her a hug, “Love you.”

“Love you too, Bridge. Now Go!” Brit grinned before closing the door.

I jumped in my truck and made the fifteen minute drive home. When I pulled in the drive Luke’s truck was there. I really didn’t want to talk to him face to face, but it looks like that’s what’s going to happen. I walked through the door and instantly started scanning the house for Luke.

“Luke!” I shouted over and over with no response.

I walked upstairs. The only place I could think of he could be was the studio. I opened the door and it was empty. There were pages from a notepad scattered everywhere and empty bottles on the soundboard, but Luke was nowhere to be seen.

“Where could he be?” I questioned myself as I walked downstairs to the kitchen.

There was a piece of yellow paper sitting on the counter that looked like it had come from the notepad in the studio. I walked over and sitting next to it was a burned CD with “For Bridget” perfectly scripted on it in Luke’s handwriting. I grabbed the piece of paper and started to read.

My Sweet Bridget,

I know you don’t want to talk to me and honestly, if I saw what you did I would probably feel the same way. I know you just want to be mad, but I know there’s only one way to get through to you and that’s music. I made you a custom mix last night. All I ask is that you listen to it from beginning to end. When you are done, if you still want to file for legal separation or divorce I will walk away without a fight. Remember that no matter what I love you to the moon and back ten thousand times over.

Always,

Luke

By the time I made it to the end I was crying. I didn’t want to file for separation or divorce. I never did. I said that out of anger. I picked up the CD and put in the CD player I kept in the kitchen. Our version of Faithfully played. It was beautiful and perfect in every way possible. I had tears streaming down my face, but when it was over there was a few seconds of dead air, then I heard Luke, “Please don’t make this next one a reality for me.”

As if the tears weren’t enough the first cords of ‘I Don’t Know If I Can Do That’ began to play. I could tell Luke was playing it on his guitar as he began to sing. It was the one song we always said we would never relate to because we were lucky enough to have found one another. I just sat and listened to song after song. Every song that ever meant anything to us for one reason or the other, performed acoustically by Luke. This disc meant more to me than any gift Luke could have ever bought me. I was head over heels in love with him. Just as much as I was all those years ago when I first realized it. I grabbed my phone. I knew I had to talk to him, but when I looked at the time, I knew he wasn’t going to be able to answer. I called anyway.

“Luke, I’m so sorry for everything. I will be in Saint Louis tomorrow night before the show is over. Save me my chair. We can talk after the show. I love you,” I choked out the voicemail message for Luke.

I pulled myself together before I went upstairs to the studio and cleaned up the mess Luke had left. I stacked all the paper that was scattered across the room neatly and made sure all of the trash was thrown away. When I started to leave the room I saw a piece of white notebook paper under a desk shoved all the way in the corner. As I reached for it I realized this wasn’t something that should be here. I recognized the handwriting, but it wasn’t Luke’s.

These will get you through that first big fight. Read them carefully and take them to heart. Have a glass of wine and talk it out. You can make it through anything. You were meant to be.

With all my love,

Caroline

·         I’ve seen better days, but I’ve also seen worse. I don’t have everything I want, but I do have all I need. I woke up with some aches and pains, but I woke up. My life may not be perfect, but I am blessed.

·         You don’t always need a plan. Sometimes you just need to breathe, trust, let go, and see what happens.

·         You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

·         You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.

·         Everyone wants happiness. No one wants pain. But you can’t have a rainbow, without a little rain.

·         You don’t need someone to complete you. You only need someone to accept you completely.

·         Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.

·         Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit.

P.S. Don’t forget the wine!!

I was in tears again. I went downstairs with the note from Caroline with me. I sat the note down on the table in front of me and just thought over everything. Before I realized it the sun had sank into the summer sky. Deciding that I would take the note with me tomorrow I packed it safely in my purse before going to bed.

The silence of the house haunted me. There wasn’t a baby crying, kids fighting, or Luke snoring. I couldn’t handle it anymore. I got up and started to pack my suitcase. Our first anniversary was coming up soon and since Luke had shows the day before and the day after we were just going to spend the night together somewhere in between. All of the kids were taken care of for the next week and as much as it killed me being away from them I really believe Luke and I need this time for us.

By daylight I was packed and ready to go. I decided to wait until after Kenzie’s summer league softball game to leave. Running on hardly no sleep at all, it was going to make for a hard drive to Saint Louis, but I’m going to do it and it will be amazing. It was a matter of time before Kenzie’s game began. She was doing great. It was the last inning and Kenzie was up to bat. The pitcher threw a wild pitch and it hit Kenzie square in the head, knocking her out cold.

“NO!!!!” I screamed from the bleachers as tears started streaming down my face.

I don’t remember much until we were in the ambulance on our way to the hospital. Kenzie had regained consciousness, but was very out of sorts. As soon as we were at the hospital they started running every test imaginable. We had sat there for hours when it dawned on me: I needed Luke. I went to grab my phone and realized it was gone. In all the rush after Kenzie was hit, I lost my phone and Tia couldn’t find hers either.

“We have to find one of our phones. We’ve got to call Luke. He has to know what’s going on. He just has to know,” I told Tia in panic as she searched through her purse for her phone.

“I can’t find it. It may be in the car. I’ll be right back,” Tia said as she left me in the waiting room by myself.

I sat and waited for Tia to return. She wasn’t gone for no time before the doctor ushered me into a room with Kenzie. I sat beside my daughter and waited. I don’t know what I was waiting for, but I was waiting.

 **Author's Note**

What do you think of Brit coming home and talking some sense into Bridget? Did Bridget react to the CD Luke made her like you thought she would? What did you think about the note Bridget found from Caroline? Where did it come from?  What do you think will happen to Kenzie? Is she going to be okay? What do you think Luke will think when Bridget don't show up? Or will Tia find a phone in time to tell him?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19 0 29
Arriane just wanted a new life - something different. But the past has a way of haunting people and she would do anything to find an escape. Maybe th...
34.3K 870 52
*Mature Content* Warning ⚠️ this is a story of infidelity and finding your true love. I love Luke and Caroline but this is just fiction. Luke and C...
12.1K 2.9K 61
- Breaking Series Book #2 Caroline Harper and Luke Warrens are best friends. But what happens when everything they had built for so long is threate...
483 60 27
Follow Jemma as she struggles to survive and live her life after finding out her best friend isn't her friend anymore because something has taken ove...