A Civil Disagreement (Country...

By WeirdestArrow

North vs. South, Free State vs. Slave State, State Governments vs. Federal Government. For a country with the... More

Authors Note
The First Compromise
Insurrection
Kansas Bleeds
With the Strike of a Gavel
A Terrorist Or A Martyr?
The Election of 1860
It Begins
Attack on the Fort
Preparations
Flags/Seals of States (Part 1)
Flag/Seals of States (Part 2)
Flags/Seals of States (Part 3)

The Second Compromise

391 18 67
By WeirdestArrow

This is on the Wilmot Proviso and the Compromise of 1850. And man, am I way to much of a Hamilton fan. Whenever I read the Compromise of 1850, I read it to the tune of the Election of 1800.

Also Oregon County, Wisconsin Territory, Iowa Territory, and Unorganized Territory are the voices in the beginning, before Iowa and Wisconsin become states, and then Minnesota Territory, Utah Territory, and New Mexico Territory join.

United States POV , 1846

"Have you heard the new bill the House had just passed?" DC asked me as she walked into my office.

"If you're talking about the Wilmot Proviso, trust me, I know. I've gotten an earful about it from the slave states." I said, knowing that DC was probably talking about the bill that had been causing me a lot of trouble. DC nodded.

"How have the slave states taken it?" She asked. I snorted.

'How do you think? Badly'

'They take most anti-slavery things that way.'

'And the north takes pro-slavery things that way. Everyone is dramatic.'

"You know how they are. Stubborn as hell and untrusting of me to handle anything involving slavery. They're too afraid the Wilmot Proviso will pass." I said. DC nodded.

"I didn't expect anything else. Why is Congress focusing on the Wilmot Proviso when we should be focusing on this war that's been started with Mexico. No use in focusing on what might happen if we win if we don't focus on trying to win." DC said, pressing her hand to her forehead. I sighed.

"It's not like Congress controls our soldiers. But figuring out the answer to the question of slavery in any new land we acquire is important. Especially to the southern states." I said.

"It is...speaking of land we acquire, how's California?" DC asked.

"Alive, for some reason. Don't ask me why. We don't know. Texas is excited to have a biological sister who hates his mother just as much as she does." I said. DC nodded.

'Ah, sibling bonding. Always more effective when you're bonding over someone you hate.'

'And that's probably why the older states are closer to each other.'

'Not probably, definitely.'

"That's nice. I hope California doesn't die after the war's end. It seems like everyone's gotten attached." DC remarked. I nodded.

'California dying would be awful.'

'Yeah I like her.'

"Yes. California's death would be upsetting to a lot of states. But that's a conversation for another time, and not something I want to think about at the moment." I said, pushing aside thoughts of California dying.

"Fair enough. I'll keep an eye on the Wilmot Proviso for you while you deal with state drama and the war with Mexico." DC said. I smiled.

"Thanks Dee."

————————————————————

1847

"The Wilmot Proviso is back in the House." DC told me, causing me to groan.

"Don't tell the southern states." I said before I heard a scream from somewhere.

"WHY IS THAT ANTI-SLAVERY BILL BACK?" I heard South Carolina ask via scream.

"WHY IS IT BANNING SLAVERY IN ALL TERRITORIES NOW?" Tennessee ask as well, also screaming. I'm guessing they wanted to make sure I could hear them.

'I don't think we need to worry about them finding out.'

'It was never going to be a secret.'

"Never mind I see they've already found out." I said, standing up to deal with that. DC put her hand on my shoulder.

"Dad. You are handling the war. I am handling my siblings. That was the agreement we made." She said. I sighed, sitting back down.

"Fine. I don't like it, but fine." I said. DC smiled.

"Good. Now I will go explain why the bill has been reintroduced to Congress, and hopefully get a compromise planned, although since the bill isn't necessary like the one making Missouri a state, I might just let them take it out of Congress." She said.

"Thanks DC." I said. She smiled.

"You're welcome. Now go end this war. Please because I don't want to deal with my angry siblings forever. Remember I do this because I love you, not because I like it."

———————————————

1848

"I'm so glad this war is over." I said. Now all I had to worry about was getting the Senate to approve the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, figure out how I was going to use all the new land, organizing new territories, and creating new states. A short, easy list of tasks. At least the Wilmot Proviso, the bill that had been causing me trouble wasn't around.

"Hello Dad, they're trying to add the Wilmot Proviso to the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo." DC said, walking into my office. I groaned. I spoke too soon it seems.

'Why? Why are they trying to add that troublesome document to our peace treaty.'

'This is going to be an annoying Senate battle, isn't it?'

"Third time! Haven't they accepted the fact that that bill is not going to pass?" I asked. DC shrugged.

"I guess not. They're stubborn, just like the rest of us." DC remarked.

'No matter how different Americans are, we will always be united by our ridiculous stubbornness.'

"How wonderful." I muttered sarcastically.

"Yes, it is wonderful. Especially now that you don't have to worry about a war and will be joining me in Congress." DC said. I groaned.

"Let's go then. I've missed being yelled at by Congress." I said. DC raised an eyebrow.

'Really?'

"Really?"

"We both know I'm being sarcastic." I said as we left for the capital. I walked up the steps and headed for the Senate, mentally preparing myself to deal with a bunch of arguing men, and the occasional comment directed toward DC for her gender.

"Well at least it's the Senate and not the states. We don't have to break up fistfights here." DC said. I laughed.

'Not yet at least.'

"And I am incredibly thankful for that." I said before walking into the Senate, "Why are we attempting to add a bill that has failed twice to our peace treaty with Mexico?"

————————————————

1850

"Alright we have five separate bills created with the aim of getting you guys to calm down about the new territories and about the fight over slavery. Mexican Cession is going to get her old name back and become the state of California, and we'll be creating the Utah and New Mexico territories from the rest of the land we got from Mexico. Is anyone upset with that?" I asked as I began reviewing the bills that were making up this compromise with the states.

"I'm not. I'm glad I'll be getting my old name back." Mexican Cession-formerly known as the California Republic-said.

"What about slavery? Will it be allowed there or not?" Mississippi asked, crossing her arms.

"The people of the territories will vote for whether or not they want slavery." DC said.

'That's my favorite part.'

"I'm okay with that." Arkansas said, the other slave states nodding in agreement. I sighed. That's one problem out of the way.

"Next topic, which Texas already knows about. Texas is giving up his claims to some of the land that will be incorporated in New Mexico Territory and Unorganized Territory in exchange for my assumption of his public debt. And no, just because Texas gave up his land claims doesn't mean you can claim it." I said.

"Well that's not something I saw coming." New York muttered. Texas shot him a glare.

'None of us really expected Texas to give up some of his land either.'

"I can cooperate with others, York. Besides, I'm still the biggest state in the Union." Texas boasted. Mexican Cession rolled her eyes.

"Is that all you care about?" She asked. Texas remained silent.

"Moving on!" DC said with a clap of her hands, "The slave trade is now banned in my district."

"Wait what?" Vermont said, his statement being echoed by many other states.

"But you're surrounded by slave states!" Tennessee protested.

'But she's not a part of either of those states, so why does that part matter?'

"But I'm not a slave state. I'm not even a state. I can, and I will, be different from Maryland and Virginia." DC said, anger appearing in her voice as she spoke. I winced. DC had always been sensitive about her status as a district, as the other states could be a bit insensitive about it.

"Right...sorry." Tennessee said before turning to me, "Is there anything else?"

"A New Fugitive Slave Act." I said.

"What?" Vermont asked, narrowing his eyes.

"We already have one, why are we making another?" Maine asked.

"Yeah, we don't need another fugitive slave law!" Pennsylvania protested.

'I mean, the current one isn't very effective.'

"Yes we do! You've been ignoring the first one!" Virginia argued back.

"Alright I'm stopping this argument before it begins. This new fugitive slave law will penalized officials who did not arrest someone allegedly escaping from slavery, and they may have to pay a fine of $1,000. Law enforcement officials are required to arrest people suspected of escaping enslavement even if the only evidence is a claimant's sworn testimony of ownership." I began, before I was cut off by Wisconsin's furious shout.

"That's bullshit!" He said, "You need more proof than that...this...that's ridiculous Father!"

"Con-" I started before he cut me off.

"This is ridiculous. You're just increasing southern power!" He continued.

"Con." I said firmly, "I know you might not like this, but we have to make sacrifices sometimes."

Wisconsin scowled, but nodded, still looking incredibly mad.

"Picking up from where Dad left off, habeas corpus will not be allowed in those cases, nor will a jury be allowed. The person accused of being a fugitive slave is not allowed to testify." DC continued.

"That'll be helpful in tracking down our escaped slaves." South Carolina remarked.

"Yeah but getting rid of the jury? Are we sure that's okay? We promised our people a jury in the constitution." Delaware asked, looking nervous.

'When it comes to slavery, things always have to get needlessly complicated.'

"They aren't citizens Del. It's fine." Georgia said.

"I still think it's bullshit. Even more so now." Wisconsin said. I sighed.

"Con please. I know many of you may not like this fugitive slave law, but we need it. We need a compromise." I said. Wisconsin sighed.

"I know I won't win this fight. I don't like it, but I know how important compromises are nowadays." Wisconsin said.

"Thank you Wisconsin." I said, "Any other objections?"

None of the states answered, and while the tension between the free and slave states had decreased, many of the free states looked off put by the news of the new fugitive slave law.

I really needed this compromise. I only hope it doesn't go wrong.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 73 27
America's greatest conflict. The Civil War. 1861-1865. Brother against brother, father against son. Elizabeth Hawkins is only 19 when war breaks out...
49.4K 1.5K 17
𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐊𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐒 | ❝Don't underestimate the allure of darkness, even the purest hearts are drawn to it.❞ ┌── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┐ 𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐨�...
1.9K 71 10
Everyone always thought that the war would stay far from home, that our mighty, navy, air force, and army would keep them far away, the war was just...
11.5K 414 19
Every state is granted a special power upon joining the American nation. This power is a part of them, a fragment of their very soul, and they have t...