Rendezvous in the Romanowskia...

By KaiseyEliysian

"And... the fifth rule," he came forward, locking me between him and the slab again. "This should be the last... More

Rendezvous in the Romanowskian Empire
1. Goodbye 21st century
2. Project 06T02-BCE
3. Electric impulse
4. Drape it like a pro
5. Identity crisis
6. Women's property
7. Fartaxerxes and Lola Rose
8. Dead end
9. Crypto maniac
10. Love at last sight
11. Fierce cub
12. Art of the concubine
13. Princess trouble
14. Ladies man
15. Master invader
16. Blue-eyed fantasy
17. Favourite of the great
18. Camp barbarian
19. Warlord Julian
20. Chocolate boy vs playboy
21. A disastrous promise
22. Night in the camp
23. His mystifying sides
24. Meek women my foot
25. Broken rules
26. The reward
27. Felinophobic Pharaoh
28. Skeletons in his closet
29. Infamous treaty
30. The woManly doctor
31. Launching Alexandria
32. Creepy cult
33. Dangerous women
34. Fartaxerxes is doomed
35. Baby steps
36. Bullies in the palace
37. Spicy 'n sweet
38. Romanos
39. Gossips with the bald priest
40. Purify me
41. Beware of the temple of Ishtar
42. Offerings to Aphrodite
43. Hanging feelings
44. Lola tales
45. The Romanowskian company
46. Making up to Armonia
47. Bath arena
48. Making up to him
49. Bloody hell
50. Peaceful heaven
51. Hypnotiser
52. Tactics
53. Tease
54. Temptations
55. Baby it's just me and you
56. Ancestors
58. Cryptic revelations
59. Delicacy
60. Happy demise
61. Sad truth
62. Cursed lovers
63. Falling out
Romanowski and Rosemary
Sequel released

57. So close

5.3K 250 388
By KaiseyEliysian

Althea

Numbness overtook me at the one thought that kept repeating itself.

All this time I was doing all that... with my friend's greatest grandad?

A violent shudder ran down me. I couldn't breathe. It was as if someone was constricting my airway.

Greatest granddad...

This was so so wrong.

Lorenzo had an equally odd expression as me, "Uh isn't it... weird?

"I mean he hates me with a burning passion. No one does that to their greatest grandkid right..." he trailed away.

"Bish," Dunkin snorted, "Why the heck would he know you're his grandkid?"

"But seriously though, even your ancestors are bombshell hot," Cheryl sighed dreamily.

I was seconds away from losing my shit altogether.

Lorenzo's eyes shot towards her, but a slow grin spread across his jaw as he fixed the meaning of her statement. Aarmen and Dunkin began wafting a hand at themselves in an act to cool off when Cheryl and Lorenzo gave each other a weird as hell smile.

"I used to play dirt bike games," Dunkin munched on his snack, stressing on those two words, "I miss it now, but it's nice knowing two people are playing it right now in their heads." That snapped both of them out of whatever daze they'd gone into.

I wanted to laugh out loud like Aarmen and he did, but I couldn't.

My fingers clutched at my dress, and I shifted my head aside, sweating like crazy. I'd need a word ten times stronger than Embarrassment to describe my situation.

This was so so wrong.

Crushing on someone's granddad is wrong beyond measure.

It was the moment I knew my time was up.

I can't bear to stay here even for a day longer. The thought of what I was doing this morning made me want to hit my head so hard that I could get amnesia.

Fuck, Coretta Hayes. For real, fuck!

"Also, I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Lorenzo sucks on his upper lip when he's nervous. Julian does that too?" She turned to me.

I was going white with fear.

Julian sucked on his upper lip all the damn time when he was in thought.

"Hey, Cors, what's your stand is this?" She tapped my shoulder, her voice enthralled at what she'd discovered.

"It's so cool!" I yelped, a wide grin on my face that I tried hard not to waver, "Isn't it great, I was writing about Lorenzo's ancestor all this time?!" I exclaimed with an over-enthusiastic smile.

But she looked at me with an odd expression. My breath hitched.

"You've gone all red Cors, what even?" she huffed, "I told you to bun up your hair or else you'll die of this Egyptian heatwave."

I so wanted to die! I cried inwardly.

"But..." Aarmen was still looking confused at Julian, who was now staring up at the statue of Aphrodite.

"Look properly," he muttered, "Lorenzo looks like a baby in front of him."

A strangled laugh escaped me and Dunkin was full-on howling. Lorenzo narrowed his eyes.

"Moreover, family titles don't change that easily," Aarmen rolled his eyes, "Romanowski and Swarwoski are two different things."

Cheryl laughed lightly, wanting to ease the hot head that Lorenzo had become, "That's what I meant when I saw Julian for the first time," she heaved a breath, "That he looked like a very manly version of someone I knew. And that someone was," she waved beside her, "Lorenzo."

"What the fuck I don't look man enough?" Lorenzo snapped.

"No silly, haven't you read how ancient men looked much masculine than modern men, that's why, duh," she wiggled his cheek, "you're such a baby, Lore."

"My room's free, but you'll have to do it on the ground," Dunkin offered, "Don't want a half-broken bed to sleep on." That caused Lorenzo to clasp his neck, as he attempted to strangle him.

"Aah," Despite that, Dunkin was still guffawing, "Choke your Cheryl, not me!"

"You bastard!" Lorenzo couldn't stop the threatening grin as he continued to strangulate him. Aarmen tried to pry his hands off, stating he'd kill Dunkin for real. But they all were laughing.

"Pervy and priest don't go hand in hand, Remun Ra," Cheryl grumbled, but it was amusing her, "you're waiting for Aphrodite to punish you, oh wait that would..." and she also joined them.

But I wasn't listening to their banter anymore, having shifted away from them.

The wild beating of my heart was the only thing that stated I was still alive. Teeth clattering, I peeked a glance at Julian, who had craned his neck to look at the crowd behind him. Probably finding someone.

Finding me.

There wasn't a doubt he had the same jaw as Lorenzo. Even the light caramelised brown eye colour perfectly matched my friend's. I could even make out the structure of the shoulders and neck that approximated Lorenzo's frame. Only his ink-black hair didn't match with the light bronze colour of my friend.

It was just that he appeared a bit wild as compared to his apparent grandkid. How hadn't I noticed it all along?!

My eyes watered at the revelation as a sudden sob escaped me. I gulped, trying hard not to let the tears stream down my face.

I was loving everything that we were doing...

It was the first time I'd felt like that, that I wanted to experience it, just a bit more. But God forbid me for the abhorrent thing I was doing.

I'd thought I wouldn't hurt him and tell him a valid reason before I would depart, but that wasn't happening now.

I rubbed my eyes from the back of my hand, letting the truth seep into me. As much as it resurfaced my sobs, I knew now that I had to reach the palace, destroy my AI book and get out of this century.

My Rendezvous in the Romanowskian Empire had come to an end, I breathed in shakily through the tears as I tore my gaze away from the mesmerising ruler that was Julian Romanowski.

It would be all good, I shut my eyes tight, controlling the tears, fisting my hands in my lap. After returning, I would immediately start the excavation activities with the help from the department, to discover about him, and show the world that such generous rulers existed too.

And I would just disappear. Julian could never know the reason why...

Drums started to roll in, indicating the completion of the offerings ceremony, as everyone stood up and started showering flowers at the couple. Julian watched on with a stoic expression.

Two guard-like people came to stand in front of the crowd, seeming like some town crier as they held a type of announcement instrument, "The kingdom of Romanos wishes the new groom Jakov Swarwoski and the beautiful bride Helaine Swarwoski, a happy married life!"

"Happy married life!"

"Happy married life!" The crowd cheered.

I staggered against the carved wall in front of me.

"Whoa..." Lorenzo yowled, leaving Dunkin at last, "What in Aphrodite's beautiful temple, huh?"

Aphrodite saved me, yet again, I tried to stop my trembling frame.

Cheryl was equally shocked, "Jakov's got deep bronze hair while you have a lighter shade, and if I..." she squinted her eyes at the bride's direction, "look properly, you kinda look like your greatest grandmom, Helaine...?"

"Julian must've seduced her," Lorenzo snickered.

"No!" All eyes came on me as I yelled out of nowhere, surprised by my outburst.

Julian wasn't that type...

"I mean... uh, he did say Helaine was like his... sister, that's why," I laughed awkwardly.

But they just had this amused look on their faces, given I almost sounded like a jealous woman, oh my God!

"Now shut up with this crap, you all are crazy," Aarmen intervened the awkward silence, "There must be hundreds and thousands of Swarwoski in this world, how can you be so sure that Julian or Jakov can be your ancestor?" he rose a brow in question.

That was a damn great point he made.

"Cheryl, you did DNA testing in your previous high school. You'll be able to tell, right?" Lorenzo looked up at her.

"And how are we getting his blood?" she questioned back.

"Bahaha you guys," Dunkin wheezed, "I bet you'll be dead before you can even poke so much as a needle into him."

Aarmen looked unimpressed by this whole situation as he said nothing, reclining against the wall.

They've gone out of their senses, Coretta, he messaged me, Even if they get his blood, hair or anything for that matter, how the heck are they gonna test his DNA here?!

I chuckled. Wise minds like him got easily irritated when faced with stupidity like this.

He was right. Swarwoski and Romanowski are two different family titles. And if I used my brain some more, Lorenzo's build was pretty much like any warrior. Maybe his ancestors really were warriors, but not Julian.
I looked at the ruler of Romanos again as his gaze darted to the crowd in search.

So close, I kept a hand over my heart to calm its violent beatings.

I was so close to becoming maddeningly guilty for the rest of my life.

* * *

Julian

Everything appeared dull if it didn't involve Althea Rosemary in my view.

I couldn't see her even once during the offerings at Aphrodite's temple, much to my annoyance. It was only in this afternoon feast that I could catch up with Ashtor. He'd told she had some work with her sister.

How I wished I could send the food and for her to my room, so we could eat as we did in the morning.

"This was a heavenly feast, Julian! I'm glad for the invitation!" General Logan smacked my shoulder, shaking me out of my trance.

Everyone was strolling around in the drinks and dessert section after lunch as I made sure everything was going accordingly. General Logan grinned through his bearded face, "Even my daughter loved it. Have you met her yet?"

Before I could speak, he was already yelling, "Esthera! My dear, His Honour would love to meet you!"

The noblewoman covered in jewellery sashayed her way to us, a goblet of wine in her hand, "It's an honour you've asked for my presence, my Lord," she bowed gracefully, looking up with a suggestive smile.

"I hope you are enjoying the festivities, noble lady," I offered a polite smile. A scowl was creeping up my face, but I kept it at bay when her father, the senior warrior in Alexander's army, cleverly frisked away. Moron.

"Julian..." she slurred, "you used to call me by my name," she pouted, "Didn't you say you loved the name, Esthera?" She reached out for a plum on the feast table, making sure to brush my arm in the process.

"I do," I popped in a grape, "But I don't want to upset warrior Zadrov," I grinned, "He's in love with you."

Everyone knew she was going after him for a few years, but this one time when I'd attended a feast held by Alexander's father in Athens, she wasn't in her right mind anymore.

Guess my politeness was hitting back at me.

Her cheeks coloured as she hushed it away, laughing softly, "But don't they all look up to be like you?" She raised an interested brow, "Everyone aspires to be like you, my King, so why should I bother with them, hmm?"

A smile crept up my face, and she visibly shied away. But that was because all I could think of was my Althea.

Straddling me, trying to keep in my rhythm as we kissed like anything.

Holy Zeus, that kiss. What a beautiful way to start a day...

"Well, I aspire to be like Alexander, so you should alter your standards, no?" I laughed.

One of her hands rested against the table, head tilted, looking slyly at me. Her red hair was swirled up her head, pinned with dozens of jewellery. Kohl swiped neatly around her eyes.

Tch, too spicy for my taste.

"Esthera! You never told you were spending time with His Honour!" Three of the women clad in expensive linen came rushing by, but they had their eyes fixated on me.

"Hey, Julian. Long time no see, mate," Thanks Lord, I exhaled at the voice.

"I hope you enjoy yourself, Esthera," I passed her a quick smile and walked away with another friend.

"Felipe," We shared a hug, "How's it going in Letopolis?"

"No, no, not about the states right now," he visibly drooped, looking haphazardly at the brimming crowds.

"You were right, Julian," he sighed, "When you said why you weren't marrying anytime soon...

"I miss Celestia and my son so much," He was younger than me, but looked way older now, "I was just there for his birth, and it's been close to a year since I saw them. Back in Corinth."

"Things are turbulent in Egypt," I nodded, "You never know what Alexander's brewing in that alcohol-intoxicated head of his," I said, wondering when would things stabilise so we could visit our hometowns someday.

"Damn yeah," he rubbed his face, "He's been acting like a Persian lately. Look there," he pointed to the alcohol section where Alexander was raising toast after toast to Jakov.

"My Persian people say, Happy Married Life Jakov!" he yelled, "Don't worry lads, your king's gonna marry soon too!" he sang as the guests screamed after him.

"Yeah, nice one. I'm that, what do y'all say?" he downed another goblet, "Yes, Shahanshah! I am the Shahanshah now!" He was going insane after receiving yet another title of the Persian 'King of the Kings' in his collection of titles.

Dressed in the long, heavily embroidered dark green Persian Jameh, with a matching headband, he was revelling in his victory.

Thankfully, the groom wasn't gulping down on the drink because he knew well not to face Helaine's wrath.

I looked behind Felipe and smiled, "I've got a surprise for you," I motioned to the small group of women where his wife Celestia stood talking with the others, their one-year-old son in her arms.

A sob escaped him, "Y- You sent her the invitation. Didn't you?" I nodded with a smile. He gave me a crushing hug before rushing away to his little family.

Just when his wife parted from the group did my eyes glazed off at the utterly beautiful sight. So beautiful that it halted my breath.

There she was. My dream, walking in daylight. With the myrtle wreath over her head, I never knew she'd look heavenly in this soft red dress. She was talking with the women, delicately holding a newborn in her arms. The smile on her face was so bright that my heart wasn't under my control anymore.

She looked down at the baby to say something and laughed as he raised his tiny fingers to her face. Talking some more with the baby's mother, she laid a gentle kiss over the newborn and carefully passed him to his mother, tucking her hair behind in a shy smile.

My heart was squeezing itself in and out. Twisting from every direction. I moved my fingers through the back of my neck, pulling at my hairs.

Dear God. I would go mad.

The thoughts that were rushing through me like a tide of desire, the picture I was painting of the future, was disastrously beautiful.

So beautiful that it looked impossible to achieve that beauty.

Aphrodite, have mercy, that's what I was praying in the temple. Why was this goddess entangling her devotee in this alluring web that was... Althea.

Because the moment she left the group to step up the marble stairs and enter the palace, I was already walking.

Doing a quick check around the celebration hall, I followed her out and into the palace's hallway. It would be a great disappointment if she goes to my room to fetch her book for the day's writing, and I wouldn't be there.

Instead, she entered the concubine's garden where two children were playing. Dimitra's seven-year-old son Leo and my now three-year-old niece.

"Roseme!" Leo shrieked as I kept myself at the entrance, leaning against the pillar with a stupid smile on my face.

She was weaving her web of charm around me, and I was happily accepting.

"Awh, you are a big girl now, aren't you?" I heard her as she bent to their level. Little Lyra watched her in awe.

"Leo say Roseme is Angelos!" she squeaked out with a tiny giggle, "wee you gimme somethin if aa close mi eyes," she gave a tiny grin.

My blue-eyed fantasy made an adorable noise and motioned them to close their eyes. Then she carefully plucked a myrtle from her wreath, before tucking it in their little hands.

Leo opened a single eye and noticed me. I kept a finger over my lips and walked behind her, as he nodded enthusiastically, suppressing his giggles with his hand.

"Leo is such a good boy, taking care of little Lyra, hmm," she was laughing softly as Leo nodded and hopped after my niece, who was amazedly looking at the myrtle that her angel Roseme had bought by magic.

My heart would melt into nothing if I saw her with children anymore.

Taking one quiet step behind her, I gripped her hand and kissed the back of her neck. She stilled. Her elbow instinctively positioned at my stomach before she decided to turn slightly to look who was there.

Goodness, I'd totally forgotten her fighting instincts.

Here I was, about to have children laugh at me as I fell again.

But the moment she knew it was me, a tremble ran up her frame, and she became the delicate woman again, who couldn't hurt a thing in her life.

"T- There are people around," she wanted to yell but couldn't as she whispered urgently. I snickered. Because there wasn't a single being present around.

"So you are willing to do where people aren't there?" I whispered back, taking in her scent.

She gulped softly and I could see the subtle blush rising over her cheeks, "There are kids, Jul- ah," her whisper softened into a breathy whimper when I couldn't handle her fragrance anymore, planting my lips by the side of her neck to suck gently.

I wonder which sweetened milk bath had she taken to taste this sweet.

"Kids are innocent, Mila, and you are not," I licked my lips, chuckling into her ear.

"Juli!" Lyra trotted up to us, her cheeks puffed, "you give Roseme a kisi, I wan a kisi too!" she pouted.

Althea blushed furiously at my little niece's words and turned her head aside, probably wanting to go hide in a cave. I kneeled to her level, beaming, "Why not my love," I gave her a soft kiss across her cheeks. She giggled, looping her tiny arms around me.

"Mah! Mah!" She noisily kissed my cheeks and passed me her sweetest little smile before grabbing Leo's hand to drag him to her toys.

"She looks like you," Althea smiled gently at their playing selves, "even though you are her uncle. I guess she'll be taking after her grandmother, mistress Armonia."

"I'd want my daughter to look like her mother though," I raised from the ground, brushing off my knees.

She turned to look at me, the admiration in her eyes so much that I almost didn't understand what she said next.

"I hope you get a beautiful wife," she gave a delightful smile. And I wasn't smiling anymore.

A thought occurred to me that made me snicker.

How the heck had I forgotten I had a much more beautiful, witty and charming prize than Althea.

She had me entranced in her beauty. A Persian prize I gained a few days back, and she already had me wrapped around her little finger.

"Have you met Elaheh?" I asked her, looking around to find Thalia and Cicero entering the hallway. It would be good to keep the children with them so they don't wander off.

"Elaheh who?" She asked, confused.

"A beautiful prize, I got a few days back. Haven't you met her?" I asked, surprised to see she didn't know her. Althea stared at me for a while.

"As if in, a war prize?" she mumbled.

"Sort of," I hummed, walking ahead to grab Leo and Lyra's hand to pass them to Thalia, "One of Alexander's Persian noblemen gifted his daughter to me."

She said nothing until I came back to face her, "I would love to meet her," she gave a bright smile, "How come I never saw her in the palace..." she looked around, perplexed and something more.

But not a speck of jealousy.

"It's because of her beauty. I didn't want just anyone to see her," I started walking and waved a hand for her to follow me, "I've kept her hidden in my private gardens."

I heard a faint 'oh' from her side.

"I want you to write about her," I ordered further, turning at the left corner where the hallway ended to lead to my garden's path.

"It would be my pleasure to write about her," she still sounded bubbly with excitement.

Ample grass grew in this area covered with a thick canopy of trees such that minimal sunlight entered, giving the place a cool dimmed feel. Vines grew over pillars at every corner and a small pond lay in the centre, housing fishes and ducks.

I felt her walk slowly behind me, trying to look as much as possible with her lowered gaze.

"Elaheh, love, Julian is here," I called her out.

In no time, she came out from behind the trees, walking so poised, big black eyes glimmering in the meagre sunlight, God was she flawless.

I glanced back at Althea as her eyes went on widening at my beautiful prize when she came to stand in front of us.

"Meow..." she acknowledged me.

She was a ball of white fur.

Althea blinked at the cat and then burst into a fit of laughter. She dropped to her knees for the little feline, "Aww, she's so cute! I never knew you had a cat!" She looked up at me, met with my ever-increasing smile I wasn't able to seize.

Way to trick your dove into your private gardens, Julian, a smug smile came to me.

Elaheh looked on with widened eyes because I never brought anyone to my private gardens. Stealthily, she walked closer, keeping a maximum distance from her, and quickly hid behind my leg.

I settled beside Althea, taking the Persian cat in my arms, "You like cats?"

"Like? I love them!" she looked close to jumping up and down, "Why did you never bother to tell me- um," she stopped unexpectedly, tucking her hair behind her ear, "She is a beautiful cat," she looked at Elaheh with a big joyful smile.

"What did I never bother to tell you?" I chuckled.

"Uhm I..." she lowered her gaze, "It wasn't the correct way to... talk to a King..." she admitted, giving an awkward laugh.

"Am I King to you?" I mused, carefully placing the cat next to her, "What did I say last night?"

Hearing the words last night was enough to have rosiness engulf her. I leant in to move a thumb across her heated cheek, "hmm?"

"J- Julian," she nodded in a timid smile as she moved her fingers on the grass to catch the cat's attention, "Persian cats are still famous, you know," she said smiling, but her expressions soon changed into that of panic.

"Still?" I furrowed my brows.

"Ah, yes," she looked into my eyes as if trying to appear confident, "But they are very expensive. Only reserved for the upper classes and royalty..."

I nodded, "She was a gift given to Jakov and Helaine from one of the Persian guests. But Helaine's lions weren't getting well with her..." Gently, I stroked her long thick coat of fur, encouraging Althea to do the same as the cat eased under our touch.

She giggled, "But don't cats and lions belong to the same family?" Seeing her ability to scratch Elaheh softly in the right places, below her neck, over the head, it seemed she knew how to handle a feline. And then I looked at her.

Smiling so purely at the cat. It was as if the cat too couldn't resist her charm and crawled onto her lap, enjoying the working of her fingers over her furry body.

I didn't know I would fall. Fall hard enough to become jealous of a little cat.

"Hmm, they do," I replied to her previous question, resting back with my palms on the grass, "But Lola and Juno were ever ready to maul her, while this little one didn't seem to care," I snickered, petting her. She was one prideful Persian cat.

"Awh, is that so?" she was talking to the cat as she held her up to see her little face.

And here I got all ruffled up that she was talking to me in that adorable babyish voice.

"You are a brave kitty, aren't you, hmm," she was beaming and hugged the cat as if it was her baby. Elaheh had no problem snuggling into her new admirer, purring continually.

I cracked my knuckles, crossing one leg over the other.

Damnit the cat was stealing my time.

I just wanted to see if she became jealous of the way I described my Persian prize, but it didn't seem to affect her in the least bit.

As if she couldn't be jealous of anything in her life. I glanced at her. How the heck was it possible?

She definitely wasn't human.

And now I was paying the price. It would've been my head resting over her lap, not the cat's.

"Althea," I spoke, stroking the cat's fur in the process, "It's time for her to eat. You can play with her afterwards?" I asked with a smile.

"Yes, sure," she agreed, transferring the furball to me, but the little one started meowing loudly.

She even had the vigour to snap her tail at me.

"Don't be difficult, Elaheh love," I cooed her, "You'll get sick if you don't eat on time." But the cat only yowled louder, most certainly angry.

Because she just had her afternoon nap after having food.

I passed Althea a quick smile before pulling the cat in my arms to walk away. One of the right corners of this garden was cut in to lead a path to the inner gardens.
Here we'd made a little wooden house for the cat. I brought my arm next to her mouth as she tried biting in fury. That would ease her frustration.

It took some time to engage her in a different activity, after which I made a mental note to bring in another cat for her to play with.

When I walked out to the main garden, Althea had shifted closer to the pond as the ducks stepped out and around her. Some even sat on her lap as she fondled them, laughing at their antics.

Lord no, I raked a hand through my head. Not the ducks now.

Here I thought I'd spend some time with her, away from the chaos of the ongoing celebrations; a place where no one was allowed to step in. But these animals turned out clever. Great.

Striding back into the inner garden, I grabbed a handful of grains to make way for the pond. I just wanted to chuck the ducklings back into the water, but that wouldn't look good in front of her.

In no time, the ducks were in their place. I frowned at the fishes. Even they were jerking like crazy, as if wanting to be on Althea's lap to be petted.

A curious thought occurred to me, as I saw her smiling at the little creatures. Was she, by any chance... a nymph?

A beautiful mythical woman who was sent by Gods on Earth to mess with the unaware humans...

Amidst the whiff of plants, we ambled past the vine-covered walls, talking and joking about everyday things. With the sound of calm splashing of water from the fountain, these gardens were a special place I'd made only for myself to relax.

I never knew I'd be sharing it with someone one day.

"I don't know, really..." she shook her head in shy laughter. She'd said it for the fifth time as she sat relaxed against my chest, picking on the grass now and then.

We had settled near the fountain after walking for a while, and she wasn't giving me one answer on what kind of men she admired.

"Julian," she giggled as she left the grass to fully rest against me, "You should ask this to the women attending the celebrations," At that she couldn't seize her amusement, "I'm amazed by the amount of praises they have for you. So much... it's like they want to worship you," she snickered.

And you didn't feel bothered by that, hm?

"... as if they are so in love with you..." I heard her whispering to herself. A faint smile on her face.

"And that means I love them back?" I lowered my head to the side of her face, pulling her out of her daze.

"Y- You should," she nodded vigorously, the bright smile returning on her face, "They look so... so dedicated to you. Uh... perfect wife material there, right?" she tried to joke because my face was hanging dead serious next to her.

"I don't want a woman who says she is in love with me," Calmly, I collected the silken hair from one side of her shoulders to reveal the mark, which she had cleverly hidden with her open hair. Innocent cleverness, may I say.

"I want someone who knows... what all to do," I rested my head against the nape of her neck, "to have my heart racing in devotion for her." I couldn't deny it anymore.

I was smitten by her.

Nymph, angel, human, whatever she was.

To my surprise, she picked up my hand lying on the cool dewy grass to hold in hers, but never entwining our fingers.

"My father... taught me a lot of things," she gave a soft sigh, one that was filled with an air of ill omen, "And one of them was," she sucked in a breath as she turned to face me, her lips trembling.

"Never break the heart of a good man."

I felt my heart tremble at its place.

"Because they... rarely exist," she kept a palm over my heart, looking up with tender eyes, "And you don't want that good heart to break and remould itself into a bad one."

I stared into the compassion glittering in her eyes. And I knew at once.

She didn't want to break my heart.

But the reason? I was aloof about it.

"Why would you break my heart?" I whispered. She shifted her head aside to lie against my chest.

As if she didn't know I had already seen her watering eyes.

"That's why I didn't reply... about the kind of men... I admire," she replied quietly, "Because I have no say... in whom I would... marry."

I released my paused breath, feeling my heart starting to thump again in relief.

My father would... decide my marriage. He had said that... he would send me a letter when he finds a suitable groom for me.

"Mila," I stroked her hair, "you don't want to break my heart... in case, he marries you with someone else?" I asked.

She nodded furiously.

I laughed. Like a madman. I laughed until I couldn't laugh anymore. Oh, my clueless little dove.

I couldn't think of one single reason why he wouldn't prefer me.

"Julian..." she straightened up, worry etched on her face, "I mean it," she breathed out.

"Your father isn't fond of kings?" I asked, intrigued.

That made her break into a helpless smile, "I don't know..." she mumbled, "All I know is... he gave me the freedom to do what I want except marriage."

"What an obedient daughter you are," I smiled, weaving my fingers through her hair, "Let's not think about it anymore," I suggested, wanting to focus on her for the moment. I can easily see to it when her father arrives.

"Shouldn't we complete what we started in the morning? It didn't end well in my opinion," I lowered my voice, inching closer to her sweet face.

It was the first time I'd dared think about it without an uncertainty holding me back. The very thought had my heart racing in exhilaration.

Althea Romanowski.

Delicate, yet so strong in her own self.

I brushed my lips against hers, her hand clasping my shoulder on instinct.

"I don't want to break your heart, Julian," she whimpered. Like a final plea, sounding almost desperate.

I curled an arm around her, bringing her closer, "You won't," I murmured, "I promise... I'll never let my heart be broken by you, Althea. Happy?" I smiled against her lips.

When I opened my eyes, I was awestruck to see how her eyes were still closed, but her lips parted.

I skimmed my lips against hers and before she could come closer; I backed away. It was wonderful how her cheeks coloured in no time.

"You'll try this time," I chuckled, lifting her face by the chin. She stammered.

"I don't know... how to-"

"Try, love," I whispered. Even with the heat radiating off her face that I could feel in our close vicinity, she ever so slowly kept her other hand over my shoulder. Her eyes fixed at my neck and it was amusing how she was having an internal battle with herself.

"Close your eyes," she grew even redder as she said it. But the almost unnoticeable thrill in her smile, her sky-like eyes made me even more impatient.

As soon as I did what she asked, I felt her soft lips touch mine. The eagerness with which she tried to move her lips had me crushing her against me.

Be easy, Julian. Let her try. You don't need to devour her.

I always kissed her slower because I needed to savour her. Every single time. Goodness, I can never get enough.

When we stopped to catch our breath, I took it as my chance to change positions so her back was against the vine-covered wall.

Long, fervent kisses dropped down her neck as her heavy breathing clouded my senses. The grip of her hands holding onto me told how she didn't want me to stop, but wanting to stay afloat in this drowning sensation. I dipped my kisses lower and lower until the neckband of her dress stopped me.

I breathed out hoarsely, controlling myself. If her lips were this tempting, I didn't know how she would taste like somewhere else.

Chuckling, I raised my head to be met by her breathless beauty.

"Soon Mila," I murmured into her ear.

* * *

The night was pitch dark, but the lands were glowing in the bright light of the fire torches. Wedding guests talked noisily outside the palace as they repeatedly glanced at the gold bronze chariot.

No one could help it, though. The sight of Lola and Juno driving the chariot instead of horses was a spectacle to behold.

The head guard gave a silent nod as I motioned him to check on the guards stationed at the rooftop. The others were already positioned in the path of the marriage procession.

I made sure that the final ceremony of Gamos, which was a chariot driven by the groom bringing the still-veiled bride to his home, would go on smoothly like the rest of the celebrations.

Jakov came marching up proudly to the chariot as women behind him showered dried fruits and nuts on him. I grinned.

"How much more are you going to get blessed with fertility, huh?" I chuckled as he went to kneel before his dear lions, stroking at their necks as they growled in elation.

Initially, we had tied horses like any normal chariot, but it seemed Lola and Juno had plans. In the evening when the horses were being attached, they came roaring and roared until the poor animals looked close to pissing themselves, neighing in dread.

It was then we understood they wanted to drive the chariot of their human parents.

"Maybe till I become the father to a human?" he replied cheekily, petting Lola and Juno one last time before he stood up.

I hummed in approval when I noticed one of the guests holding an earthen jar with an... interesting image.

"Did they paint you and Helaine in there?" I motioned at the gift and he looked in the said direction, his ears slowly turning red.

There was a carving of a man holding a woman as he kissed her neck in passion. I couldn't make out any clothing on either of them.

Yeah, definitely interesting.

Jakov turned to me with a threatening grin on his face. Nevertheless, he expertly hid it in a tight smile.

"You've got a dirty head, Julian," he raised one amused brow, "Maybe that writer can purify it a little?"

He paused to shake his head, "Oh well, what am I wondering? In the hopes of purifying you, that poor woman is gonna become impure."

"Quit sounding like a saint that you aren't," I laughed. It was common for the wedding gifts to be painted with romantic images of marriage and newlyweds. They said such images were chosen to ease the bride's fear of her new married life. I didn't know how.

He climbed into the driver's seat, his richly embroidered royal overcoat trailing behind.

"Have a good night," I winked.

"Really?" he drawled, "Don't you see the excitement on Lola and Juno's faces? They are determined to know each and everything happening today. So they'll be sleeping with us in our marriage chamber," he sighed.

I burst into laughter. So much that my body had started to shake.

He chuckled, "But Jules, seriously," I heard him sigh, "You aren't accompanying us in our marriage procession?"

"Things aren't so well in Sais," I informed, "My spies have notified that their army is keeping a keen eye since the celebrations started. It won't be well if they know the ruler of Romanos is missing from the palace for a night."

"Pathetic insects," he grunted, "anyway, you'll be visiting us tomorrow-" he stopped, turning around at the voices of cheering women.

There came Helaine, her face veiled by a heavy netted fabric as several women held her, while the rest showered dried fruits over her. She had dressed in a beautiful vine coloured long skirt, encrusted with gemstones, the design matching Jakov's overcoat. Her husband looked on, hypnotised.

I walked up to her when she neared the chariot; the women holding her let go, keeping themselves behind.

She took my raised hand as I walked her to the chariot. Given the heavy jewellery practically weighing her down, I placed another hand over her shoulder to steady her.

It was the depiction of the bride's transfer from her father's home to that of her husband.

"Thank you, for being my... father," she sniffled. It was the first time I was hearing this fierce lady sniffle.

"Glad to have a daughter like you," I replied in an equally thickened voice, "Now I can pass my dear old days waiting for my grandchild."

Any trace of her weeping was gone as she elbowed me, laughing quietly behind her veil. Soon we reached the chariot, and I helped her up, where a teary-eyed Jakov was holding his hand out for her to take.

"Love you, Julian!" They sang together and settled in their respective seats. I smiled, giving them a wave after which Jakov called to his lions and soon the chariot was moving. The guests began cheering for the beautiful couple as they followed the procession, showering flowers and nuts.

I walked back to the now-empty palace, few guests hurrying past me after a quick bow because they couldn't decorate themselves more than they already were. I rolled my eyes.

The celebration hall was empty except for the servants who were clearing the mess. I spotted my guardsmen Danro near the exit where he was instructing other guards.

"Orders, my Lord," he bowed when I called him out.

"Call Althea Romano- Althea Rosemary here," I cleared my throat.

Confusion etched on his face, "Apologies my Lord, but I saw her... going in the marriage procession..."

"What did I mean by calling her here?"

"Y- Yes, my Lord," he hurried out at my order.

Checking out with the other warriors and guards, I made sure the checkpoints were guarded. It was a good sign that majority of the Sais army had already withdrawn when they knew I wasn't going anywhere. One last meeting with the spies and everything seemed in place.

Now I wasn't a fool to lounge alone in my palace, was I?

I stepped down the floors, at once figuring out the woman standing in the celebration hall.

By one corner near the entrance, she stood waiting, looking around with her hands folded in front of her. Ashtor stood close behind, his stance guarded.

When his eyes met mine, I gave him a silent nod, and he bowed, before sauntering out of the palace.

There again, my heart was full-on racing as I took in her appearance.

An ebony gold ensemble.

The dark floor-length skirt had golden flowers at its base, followed by the petals that appeared to waft up the length of her skirt, ending right below her navel.

It was fiendish of me, but I couldn't control my thoughts. Her waist was mouth-wateringly bare, adorned with an intricate gold jewel which was preceded by a low neckline golden fabric that left her shoulders bare. A long single fabric, the same as her skirt, was draped over one side of her arm.

I came to stand in front of her, as slow as possible. The thicker than the usual line of kohl around her eyes, hairs tied up into an intricate bun with two tendrils falling on either side of her head.

If someone told me she was Aphrodite's child, I wouldn't deny it. I tried hard not to give out any expression, the storm that was going inside me.

Sweetly sexy. That's what she looked like.

"Julian?" I heard the waver in her voice as she looked up from her lashes, "Everyone was... asking for you," she gave a small smile, "Will you be... coming to the marriage procession?" she asked, her voice hopeful.

My lovely dove, haven't you had enough fun in the ceremonies of the three-day marriage celebration? Without me...

I broke out of my daze at the sweetness of her voice. Given the hesitancy coming up her face, I smiled in return.

"No," I shook my head, "A King missing from the palace at nights isn't taken lightly by the enemies," I smiled.

Sadness came over her eyes as she lowered them. Was she feeling bad I wasn't there?

I stepped closer, and she looked up at me. An unknown feeling, a want lingering in her eyes. So faint, that I wouldn't have noticed, if not for the way we were spending the last couple of days.

"And that means," I lowered my face to her level, "Someone needs to stay back with the King," I smirked.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 498 29
Iris Mays knew being accepted to a prestigious high school as a lower class citizen would have it's ups and downs. But she didn't know one of those...
45.5K 2.1K 102
[COMPLETELY EDITED AND FINISHED] What happens when you fall in love with your enemy? Well you do know what happens, your family abandons you and all...
9.5M 456K 109
An age gap love story. A brokenhearted billionaire. A college girl. ***** "Nevaeh," Aiden whispers, "can I rest my head on your shoulder?" I nod, l...
2.7K 232 30
love. Affection. Trust. Three words that sound so foreign to her ears.. They say,that tomorrow holds new beginnings with good energy and a brighter...