In Gentle Tones of Warmest Wh...

By Marshtompz

Rantaro helps nurse an injured Kokichi back to health. Started: 3/14/21 Completed: 5/4/21 Highest Ranking Eve... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15

Chapter 10

897 38 235
By Marshtompz

Kokichi woke up to the faint sound of snoring- Rantaro's snoring. His head rose and fell to the rhythm of the noise; it took him a moment to realize that he was actually on top of Rantaro.

The sleeping boy didn't seem to mind it, however, arm haphazardly wrapped around the small of Kokichi's back.

He felt warm and content with where he was. He almost didn't want to leave.

Almost.

Kokichi had fallen asleep early, and was now wide awake. Purple eyes lazily scanned the bright red lights of the blinking alarm clock. 7am.

He internally groaned. Wasn't it Sunday? Why was he waking up so early on a weekend? Well, he supposed it didn't really matter- he had the whole week off, anyways.

Carefully maneuvering his way out of Rantaro's embrace, Kokichi slid off the bed.

He stretched out his extremities as he looked towards the window. There was a little bit of sunlight shining through the maroon curtains, filling the room with a faint light.

Kokichi walked up to the window, running his palm across the smooth fabric of the curtains before pulling them aside. The room was filled with a serene light in an instant. The sun was just now starting to rise up into the sky, illuminating the houses nearby with an amber glow. A low hum left Kokichi's lips as he observed the surrounding area- he had never actually been in this area before until now.

As he wondered where exactly in the city he was, he picked up on the sounds of sheets shuffling behind him. Rantaro had probably woke up. So much for him trying to keep quiet.

He listened to the quiet footsteps that grew louder as they got closer. In a matter of seconds, Kokichi felt an arm slip around his waist. He took a quick glance to his side, taking a moment to look at Rantaro standing next to him before turning his gaze back to the window. "Good morning," He mumbled.

"I didn't take you for an early riser." Rantaro mused. Kokichi found his rough (yet quiet and gentle) morning voice to be soothing.

Ironically enough, Kokichi started to yawn. "I'm not." He brought his hand to his now wide open mouth, yawning for a solid few seconds.

Rantaro laughed faintly. "I guess that's what happens when you sleep early, huh?"

Kokichi said nothing, merely nodding his head. He wasn't even sure if Rantaro saw it or not- he was too focused on a bird in the distance that had landed on a nearby roof.

The two stood in comfortable silence for a minute or so. Rantaro was the one to break it. "It's pretty outside today, huh?"

Once again Kokichi nodded. He hummed softly in agreement, resting his head on Rantaro's upper arm as he watched the bird fly away.

Forget what he said about not wanting to leave the bed earlier. If there was any moment of time in his life he could freeze and live in forever, it'd definitely be this one. (It won by a landslide, too.)

So, naturally, Kokichi felt a little disappointment when Rantaro broke away from him. "I'm gonna take a shower." He had said. Shortly after, Kokichi heard the door open and close.

Kokichi only felt a little disappointed, however. As he heard the water turn on (the bathroom was right next to Rantaro's bedroom), the corners of his lips etched upwards into a smile.

Last night, Kokichi had accidentally stumbled into the wrong room after a brief (yet incredibly intense) moment of disorientation. Upon first glance, Kokichi immediately assumed that it was a library of sorts. Rantaro had called it an office- but either way, of course there'd be a place like this in the house.

Yet, there was something that felt off about the room. And now, while Rantaro was sure to be away for at least ten minutes, was the perfect time to explore. Kokichi slipped out of the bedroom with ease, stealthily making his way into the office. (It wasn't as if any of Rantaro's sisters would see him anyways- it just felt fun to sneak around as if he were in a spy movie of sorts.)

As expected, the office was in the exact same condition as it was the last time he saw it- clean and orderly; not a speck of dust in sight on the shelves that lined the entire right wall. There was a sofa tucked away neatly in the corner, a stand with a small lamp atop it sitting next to the sofa. There was a desk next to the bed, and a closet in the corner.

Everything looked right. Except for three things.

The first thing Kokichi noticed was that if some of the shelves were replaced with dressers or straight up removed, it'd make a perfect bedroom. There wasn't necessarily anything wrong with that, it just irked Kokichi more than it should've, especially with the other two things he had in mind.

The second offsetting thing in the room was the fact that all of the bookshelves were empty, except one directly across from the desk. The bookshelf that wasn't empty was loaded with books and files for the most part. One of the shelves towards the middle had random memorabilia scattered about, such as pictures and little trinkets.

The third and final object (the most obvious out of the three) that caught Kokichi's attention was a map, with a bunch of pins and strings concentrated near one area in the Caribbean.

Despite the map sticking out like a sore thumb, Kokichi decided to save that for last. Instead, he opted to get a closer look at the sofa. There wasn't really much to look at, but there was one thing in particular he wanted to know.

He knelt down, eyes landing on the part where the cushion met the base of the couch. There was a handle there. Kokichi pulled on it, moving out of the way as the couch expanded into a bed.

"So this room does double as a bedroom~" He hummed to no one in particular, folding the sofa back together. "But if it's a guest room..." He grabbed the pillows that fell to the floor, placing them back in their respectful places. "Then why couldn't I have just stayed here?" Kokichi stood up, taking a few steps back from the sofa and admiring his work. It looked exactly as it did when he first found it. Perfect.

Kokichi took a moment to listen for the shower. It was still running.

Turning around and letting out a mischievous giggle, Kokichi made his way to the bookshelf.

He wished he hadn't, really.

The first thing he noticed was the shelf full of various trinkets. More specifically, one of the pictures near the right corner.

It was a family photo- probably taken ages ago. Right away he recognized the little Rantaro, standing in the middle with a tall man looming behind him; the man was probably his dad. There were a few others in the photo- he recognized Fuyumisa and a baby Hikari. The rest were people he didn't know (although there was someone who looked like Hikari.)

In the left corner was a more recent photo- Rantaro was holding two infants in either of his arms. He recognized the tufts of brown hair and blonde hair instantly. That was definitely Airi and Eri. There were others around them, like Hikari and Fuyumisa, and even more unrecognizable children.

There was a photo in the middle, as well- the most recent out of the three. Standing in front of the house he was in now was Rantaro, Hikari, Itsuki, Airi, Eri, and Fuyumisa. Unlike the other two photos full of erect poses and stoic expressions, this was a photo full of life.

In the back row were Hikari, Rantaro, and Itsuki. Rantaro had his arms wrapped around his sisters' shoulders, a big smile on his face. Hikari was ruffling Airi's hair with one hand, winking at the camera and holding up a peace sign. Itsuki had her hand resting calmly on Eri's shoulder. Airi and Eri were making a random silly expression as they hugged a kneeling Fuyumisa, who wore a tired yet delightful smile.

Kokichi recalls what he saw last night- The five of them (Fuyumisa was nowhere to be found) in the living room chatting with one another.

They all fit together perfectly- like one of those big stereotypical unreasonably happy families you'd see on a random TV show. Kokichi didn't fit in at all, and it brought a frown to his face alongside a strange sinking feeling in his gut.

Kokichi grabs a random trinket to distract himself. In his haste, he accidentally knocks over the photo frame to the left, the frame opening and the photo fluttering down to the ground.

The item he's holding in his hand is a little necklace, made from shells and random beads of all shapes and sizes. He doesn't pay it much mind, though, as he kneels down to grab the photo.

Kokichi freezes. There's two photos in here. One is the family portrait with Airi and Eri as infants, and the other is... a bit more strange.

It's a small photo, a headshot of a single, smiling toddler. Her hair is short and black, similar to Hikari's (only this girl's hair is straight, as opposed to Hikari's unruly hair). She had the same green eyes as four out of the five siblings Kokichi knew (Itsuki was the odd one out here, with light pink eyes.)

What made the photo rather peculiar- aside from the faded colors that made for a dreary look- was the necklace around her neck, made from shells and random beads of all shapes and sizes.

Kokichi looks down at his hand, at the necklace resting in his palm. It's the same necklace in the photo.

He sets the necklace down as quickly as he had grabbed it. He puts the family photo back into the frame, sticking the other photo in behind it. There was a date on the back with a name- the former of which was illegible the the latter he could read clear as day.

Amami Haruka.

Kokichi puts the photo frame back up where he had found it, taking a step away from the shelf. He looks up at the files above it, his hand reluctantly reaching up to grab one.

...

...He can hear the shower turn off.

Kokichi listens for a moment. That was most definitely the sound of the shower turning off. How long had he been in here?

He swiftly makes his way to the door, opening it slowly and peering out.

He can see the bathroom door from here- it's still closed. He didn't have much time before the door would open, and Rantaro would emerge from it.

Kokichi immediately exits the room, closing the door behind him before quickly entering Rantaro's room. He made sure to close the door as Rantaro had done before he left to take a shower, wasting no time hopping onto the bed and rolling into a lax position.

That wasn't just an office, and it sure as hell wasn't an impromptu guest room.

That was a bedroom, reserved for one of Rantaro's sisters.

Just what in the world had happened?

~1.9k Words

Author's Note: What? A chapter not posted at 11:50pm EST on the third day of the schedule? Insane. We're officially two thirds through with the story! And I finally got to reveal the little subplot I had planned :D It's so hard to come up with names though... I hope you enjoy this chapter that's out at a decent time! (Though, if I'm being honest, a bit of this chapter was part of my original draft for last chapter, so that probably helped in getting this chapter out faster;;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.5K 1K 38
❝ 𝑷𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒆 ! 𝑻𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒎𝒆 𝒊𝒏𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒂𝒅 ! 𝑪𝒂𝒏'𝒕 𝙄 𝒔𝒖𝒇𝒇𝒊𝒄𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒉𝒖𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓 ?! ❞ † '''¯''¯''' 𝐒𝐀𝐈𝐌𝐀𝐌𝐈 + 𝐕𝐀𝐌�...
35.3K 566 93
A collection of stories for Saihara Shuichi x Ouma Kokichi x Amami Rantaro. This ship doesn't have enough stories, so here are 90 more. Contains fluf...
10.4K 186 18
(EDIT) This story is discontinued. My apologies. (EDIT OVER) Literally oumami. Thats it. Pregame oumami. because WE ARE STARVED OF CONTENT Art credi...
7.5K 184 10
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐬 𝐡𝐨𝐭 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐬𝐡 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐲'𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐨𝐮𝐦𝐚 𝐬𝐨... 𝙂𝙉 (𝙜𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙚𝙧-𝙣𝙚𝙪𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙡) 𝙎𝙩𝙤𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙨 Whoo...