Once the Sky Reaches the Flam...

By Ry2_SinHeart

Wendy Marvell likes Natsu Dragneel and is more than determined to make him fall for her. Unfortunately, Natsu... More

Is this story for you? Read this first!
Chapter 1: A Year Later
Chapter 2: Arrival of a New Day!
Chapter 3: Team Natsu Goes on a Job!
Chapter 4: Entering Nightglades!
Chapter 5: Enemy Encounter!
Chapter 6: Battle of Nightglades!
Chapter 7: Isolation...
Chapter 8: Mission Complete!
Chapter 9: My Feelings...
Chapter 11: Let's Go Shopping!
Chapter 12: Spending Time with You, Part 1
Chapter 13: Spending Time with You, Part 2
Chapter 14: The Queen's Game!
Chapter 15: Our Fairy Night, Part 1
Chapter 16: Our Fairy Night, Part 2
Chapter 17: And so, it begins.
Chapter 18: Figuring Feelings
Chapter 19: Natsu's Confession Adventure!
Chapter 20: Let's act it out!
Chapter 21: Hear me out.
Chapter 22: Separation
Chapter 23: What I Truly Feel
Chapter 24: Our Feelings, Part 1
Chapter 25: Our Feelings, Part 2
Chapter 26: Moving on
Chapter 27: Girls' Time!
Chapter 28: Welcome, my Mistress!
Chapter 29: Let's Go Shopping again!
Chapter 30: Inviting You
Chapter 31: Setting Sail!
Chapter 32: Battle at Sea!
Chapter 33: Reaching the Resort!
Chapter 34: Lunch Time!
Chapter 35: Natsu vs. Wendy!
Chapter 36: Making Amends
Chapter 37: The Beach Episode!
Chapter 38: Happy Accident?
Chapter 39: Make me yours.
Chapter 39.5-GRUVIA: Enough waiting.
Chapter 40: Spin the Bottle!
Chapter 41: A sick day.
Chapter 42: To the Library!
Chapter 43: Our Little Ritual
Chapter 44: Heart to Heart, Mark to Mark
Chapter 45: Power of the Mark
Chapter 46: Sky and Fire
Chapter 47: Aftermath and a massage.
Chapter 48: Insecurity
Chapter 49: Fireworks Festival
Chapter 49.5-JERZA: To Love freely
Chapter 50: Final
Parting message from the author!

Chapter 10: Conflicted.

1.1K 58 12
By Ry2_SinHeart

The Sun rose over the horizon, informing the world it was time for a brand new day to commence. It's been a day since Team Natsu arrived from the mission (mostly) safe and sound. A certain individual residing in the Fairy Hills dormitory woke up quite early in response to the Sun's light shining through her window, brimming with purpose and confidence.

Having noticed her dragon slayer already wide awake, the white Exceed raised her head out of the blanket. "Looks like somebody's quite eager to start the day." Carla stretched out her paws and yawned.

"Good morning, Carla!" Wendy greeted her brightly, removing the blanket from her body.

"Good morning, Wendy. How was your sleep?"

"It was nice. My leg's feeling a lot better. I should be able to walk normally now at least." Wendy stretched out her left leg and wiggled it around. Yep, way better!

"Good to hear that." Carla jumped from the bed on to the floor. "Let's take a bath together, shall we?"

"Yeah!" Wendy nodded. She was quite in a good mood today. She was going to ask a certain dragon slayer to go out with her to the Harvest Festival. She's never woken up feeling so excited and ecstatic before!

Nothing was going to ruin her mood.

Right...?

...

..

.

Wendy and Carla had left the dormitory after taking their bath. Wendy was donning a red, long-sleeved top having two buttons in the center, an ascot, and an orange ribbon around her neck. She wore a black, frilled skirt with a white small trim running around right above the end. She also wore black socks that reached up to her thighs. She wore the same red, animal ear-like attachments that tied her hair into twin tails.

Wendy was cheerfully humming to herself, practically skipping her way towards the Fairy Tail guild.

"You're really in a good mood today." Walking beside her, Carla observed her unusual demeanor.

"Of course I am!" Wendy exclaimed gleefully as she increased the bounce in her movements.

"So that's what love does to you, eh?" Carla said in a teasing tone, raising her eyebrows twice.

Wendy slowed down her pace, a faint blush appearing on her face. "W-Well..." She looked off to the sidewalk.

Just yesterday, she openly acknowledged her feelings. More accurately, she was forced to face them due to an relentless Carla who mercilessly drove her into a corner. Having the support of both Carla and Erza helped boost her confidence in her own feelings. She felt liberated, realizing her feelings, as if nothing could stop her now.

"Don't mind me." Carla waved a paw to dismiss herself. "It's amusing seeing this new side of you."

"I-Is that so?" Wendy nervously rubbed the back of her head. She was feeling a little self-conscious about her feelings now.

Soon, the dragon slayer and her Exceed were in front of the gates of their guild, Fairy Tail. Wendy stood still for a moment, gazing at the door handle. Once she opened the door, she would find the man she's fallen for and ask him out. She took a deep breath and let it out to calm her nerves. Carla simply smirked at her behavior.

Let's do this! Wendy mentally encouraged herself. She pushed both the doors wide open, expecting the typical morning brawls to ensue. And it was....

Peaceful.

"Huh?" Wendy looked around the guildhall. Its residents were simply sitting, chatting with one another, and having drinks together. No bodies were launched away. No explosions were taking place. No signs of aggression involved.

"No brawls this morning, huh? That's rare." Carla continued her thoughts. She was just as surprised as Wendy was. "Now, this is what a lovely morning should look like." She nodded approvingly.

Wendy laughed awkwardly at her comment. Although this was nice in its own way, Fairy Tail just doesn't feel like Fairy Tail without everybody throwing arms at each other first thing in the morning. Oh well, this is a nice change of pace.

She entered the guildhall and started taking in its familial scent, expecting to catch a whiff of that one scent that always manages to tingle its way through her heart... but it never appeared.

"Eh?' Wendy's brows raised in confusion. She took a sniff again to ascertain his presence.

Nothing... he's not here?

She looked around the guildhall and searched for his whereabouts, maybe his scent was just feeling faint today. She saw Gajeel, Lily, and Levy chatting together. Then there was Elfman giving a lecture about manliness to a tired Lisanna. A smiling Mirajane was simply wiping the mugs behind the counter. Juvia seemed to be feeding breakfast to an awfully cute, tomato-faced Gray. Erza and Lucy were sitting together. She was eating strawberry cake while the blonde was writing a novel. But there were no signs of his pink, spiky hair anywhere. Actually, she didn't see the blue Exceed either.

"I can guess why the guild isn't as boisterous as usual." Carla put a paw on her chin. "It's because the person who usually starts it isn't here today."

"Yeah..." Wendy said dejectedly. Her shoulders slumped downwards.

"Why don't we settle in first?" Noticing her mood, Carla changed the topic.

"O-Oh, sure!" Wendy shook her head to clear her thoughts. Maybe he'll come later...

They walked towards the counter. Mirajane immediately turned to them as they approached.

"Good morning, Wendy, Carla! How are you doing today?" Mirajane greeted them, giving her bubbly smile as always.

"Morning, Mira." They both greeted in return, taking a seat besides Gray and Juvia, who were discussing the mission at Nightglades. "We're doing great, thanks!"

"That's fantastic to hear!" She put her mug down. "Let me know if I can get you anything!" They nodded as she took another mug to wipe with a cloth.

"Hey, Wendy." Juvia greeted her and smiled.

"Yo, Wendy." Gray waved upon noticing her, resting his back against the table. "How's your leg doing?"

"Hey!" She turned her chair to face them. "It's doing better now. I can walk well." She answered.

"That's good." Gray nodded, about to turn back his attention to Juvia.

"Uhm, Gray..." Wendy lowly called out to him.

"Yeah?"

"Do you know where Natsu is? I haven't seen him." She folded her arms on the table.

"Oh, Natsu? I haven't seen him today either." Gray briefly raised his shoulders.

"I-I see..." Wendy bowed her head down dejectedly.

"You know, he was in the worst shape out of all of us. He's probably taking the day off or something." Gray rubbed the back of his head. "Or he could still be sleeping his butt off, knowing him."

"R-Right." Wendy momentarily forgot that he took the most beating out of everyone else in Team Natsu. Not to mention he suffered those injuries while keeping her safe. Here she was, all excited to meet him, but he certainly needed his rest more. She felt guilt swell in her chest... How could I have forgotten? She frowned at herself, resting her chin on the table.

Gray and Juvia stared at her expression for a while, feeling a bit unnerved their youngest dragon slayer wasn't the cheerful and sweet girl they always knew.

"Wendy, are you feeling okay?" Juvia asked with concern.

"H-Huh? Oh, I'm okay, ahah..." Wendy waved her hand nervously in front of them.

Carla didn't like the expression she was wearing on her face. She pondered her mind, wondering what she could to make her feel better. But then...

The entrance to the guildhalls creaked slowly. They turned their attention towards the door, and Wendy's eyes immediately lighted up as the doors pushed open.

"Good morning, everyone... ugh..." Natsu greeted the guild, clutching his bandaged abdomen with his left arm.

"Be careful, Natsu." Happy was perched on his shoulder.

Usually, he would swing the doors wide open with an audible BAM! but it seems his injuries prevented him from doing so. Not everyone has noticed their presence, including Lucy and Erza who were still focused on their own business.

Wendy's lips curved into a smile. Natsu! All her sadness slowly dissipated away, being replaced with that of joy. Though, she felt worried for him too, realizing he hasn't fully recovered.

"Wow, the pyromaniac actually showed up?" Gray tilted his head in surprise and concern. "He doesn't look like he recovered completely yet."

"He's certainly a stubborn one." Carla sighed in disbelief.

Natsu walked straight towards Wendy and Gray's direction. Wendy's heartbeat grew in anticipation and nervousness with every step he took closer to her.

"What's up, you guys." He weakly raised his arm and waved towards Gray and Juvia. He then took a seat between Gray and Wendy. "Hey, Wendy. How are ya?" He faced her and grinned.

There's that darn smile. The smile she couldn't take her eyes off.

"I'm doing wonderful, Natsu!" She beamed back. "How about you? You don't seem like you recovered that much..." Her eyes slowly drifted to his bandages on his abdomen and left arm.

"Oh, don't worry. I feel much better than yesterday!" He smiled brightly, giving a thumbs up. "This ain't going to stop me from coming to the guild."

"Aye, sir!" Happy jumped off his shoulder on to the table counter.

How Natsu could still be carefree was beyond her... but it just made her fall all the more madly with him.

Ah, now's the time... She shifted in her seat and twiddled her fingers. Now I can ask him.

Sensing her determination, Carla observed the dragon slayer duo silently. You got this, Wendy.

"Hey, Mira! Could I get some fiery barbeque over here?" Natsu raised his arm.

"One fiery barbeque coming right up!" Mirajane cheerfully replied and went to the kitchen.

It's now or never...

"Ahm, Natsu..." Wendy weakly called out to him, heat rising in her cheeks.

"What's up?" He rested his cheek on his left arm, which plopped upright on the counter.

"Would you..." Nervousness began setting into her body. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat and bowed her head down.

Come on, Wendy! You can do it! Carla mentally encouraged her.

"Would you... like to go to the Harvest Festival with me next week?" There! Flawless! Now she would expectantly wait for his flashy grin to appear.

But instead, he frowned and raised his eyebrows, putting both his arms on the table.

What? This isn't how he's supposed to react? Anxiousness started rising in her chest. Why? Does he... not want to go with me? Negative thoughts began rushing into her head. Even Carla took notice of this, a bit surprised by his reaction. Or is he going with-

"Sorry, Wendy." Natsu awkwardly scratched his neck. "Lucy already invited me to go with her."

Lucy.

Wendy's eyes widened at the mention of her name. Her mind stopped thinking as she dropped her hands at her sides. She slowly plopped her head face-first to the table counter. She wasn't sure what to feel, but the feelings inside her felt terrible. Horrible. Miserable. How could she have forgotten about Lucy? She let her excitement get the best of her. Wendy's hands started trembling as she stretched them over the table.

Carla wondered if she should interfere or not. It wasn't just her who noticed her sudden change in demeanor. Gray and Juvia took note of it as well, unsure if they should comfort the blue-haired dragon slayer.

Everyone's attention was momentarily distracted when they heard footsteps at the top.

"Attention, my children of Fairy Tail!" An old voice roared out. Everyone turned to the voice.

"Oh hey, it's gramps!" Natsu exclaimed.

"Seems like the old man's got something to say." Gray said.

"Master Makarov." Erza bowed her head, facing towards him.

"I hope your day has been delightful! I've got an important announcement to make! And I'm sure you know what's going to happen quite soon." Makarov said with enthusiasm in his voice.

Voices and murmurs echoed throughout the guildhall in response.

He cleared his throat loudly. "Next week is going to be the Harvest Festival!

The guild cheered and clapped.

"It's been nearly 8 years since the guild hosted the Harvest Festival. This is going to be a grand opportunity for us to hold it this year finally in Magnolia Town!"

"8 years... it's really been that long, huh." Gray asked, folding his arms.

"I still find it hard to believe that time skip really happened." Juvia added.

"But this time will be different! We'll be adding one more special event to the festival!" Makarov continued.

Everyone looked at the guild master in curiosity. What was this new event going to entail?

"A new event we shall call the Fairy Night!"

Confusion and questions about the words 'Fairy Night' echoed throughout the guild.

"It's an event that will take place at night, as the name suggests. It's a night full of dancing with someone you'd like to grow closer to! I realize that most of you are becoming of that age where you should be experiencing the joys and wonders of romance! You are absolutely free to invite anyone to become your date! They could be from this guild, or they could even be outsiders!"

Everyone roared with excitement in the guild. Cheers filled the halls as the members look at one another in expectation, hoping to invite them to the dance or even be invited to. Juvia had already set her sights on Gray.

"Oh, Gray, my darling!" Juvia wrapped her arms around Gray's. She looked at his eyes, full of expectation.

"D-Don't look at me like that." Gray blushed and averted his gaze, trying to pry her hands away. Over time, he's come to realize how adorable Juvia was. Of course, he wouldn't admit it... yet.

Natsu seemed uninterested. The fiery barbeque Mirajane was serving caught his interest more so than the dance event.

"Hmmm... he's going to be coming soon..." Erza appeared in deep thought, a light blush appearing on her cheeks. She was thinking of a certain Crime Sorciere mage. I hope he-

SLAM!

Wendy decided she heard enough. She slammed her palms against the table counter, pushing it to stand up. She kicked the chair behind her backwards on impact. This received a curious glance from the others nearby her, particularly Natsu, Happy, Gray, Juvia, and Carla.

I never had a chance at all. She clenched her fists on the table. She couldn't invite him to the dance event, either. Oh, how desperately she wanted to feel his touch. To feel herself swept up by his arms. To let her breath be taken away. Her chances had already been crushed before she could even ask him. I'm so stupid. Negative thoughts filled her mind, pangs of jealousy filled her heart. Nothing was supposed to ruin this day. Nothing. She turned her face towards Lucy, unintentionally glaring at her.

"Wendy?" Carla sensed she was about to cry.

"Wendy? What's wrong?" Natsu asked her with concern.

She couldn't even bear to look at his face. The way his voice tugged at her heartstrings so innocently. She wanted to tell him so badly... but I would be a terrible friend to Lucy. A part of her wants to lash out at Lucy for whatever reason. No, she's not at fault. Wendy tried to reason with herself, her mind battling itself. Afraid she'd let her emotions take over, she dashed towards the door, ignoring Natsu and leaving the guildhall.

"Wendy, wait!" Carla immediately chased after.

"Wendy!" Natsu reached his hand out to her, but she was already gone. What happened to her? Natsu didn't like seeing Wendy like this. He preferred the innocent and playful Wendy. His heart throbbed in a way he never felt before. He despised this feeling.

"Is she feeling sick?" Happy asked.

"The hell did you say to her, Natsu?" Gray added.

"I didn't-..." Did Natsu say something he shouldn't have? He didn't know. He immediately stood up, but was directly forced down to his seat by someone else.

"Erza?" His eyes widened.

"I don't think she wants to see you right now, Natsu." Erza had noticed Wendy run off a moment ago. "I'll go find her and make sure she's alright." She said calmly. Erza turned around in place and walked towards the entrance.

"Wendy..." Natsu softly whispered. Did I do something wrong? Is this because of me? An odd, unfamiliar feeling rose in his chest. He shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts. He wasn't a man who was fond of thinking, anyway. He focused on his meal instead, that didn't need thinking at all.

I hope she's alright.

...

..

.

Erza exited the guild and began looking for the blue-haired dragon slayer. She could tell she was distressed by whatever she and Natsu talked about just a moment ago. The dance event? She didn't want to jump to conclusions yet. She'd prefer hearing it from Wendy herself if she wanted to talk about it.

She walked to a secluded hill where a tall tree was rooted in its place. She then noticed the white Exceed standing a few good meters behind the tree, reluctant to step forward. Erza slowly walked over to her and caught a glimpse of Wendy's blue hair flowing in the wind.

"Carla." Erza softly called out.

Carla turned around, worries clearly visible in her face. She crossed her paws and dropped her brows. "Erza... you came here to see Wendy?"

"Yes. She suddenly ran out of the guild. Did something happen?" She bowed down to her level.

Carla gave her a knowing look. Erza nodded, immediately understanding the situation.

"Don't worry. I'll go talk to her." Erza gently patted Carla's head and stood up, walking beside the tree.

She craned her body around the tree and saw the girl in question, who was sitting down and hugging her legs tightly with her face buried in them. She could hear faint sobs from her. She carefully and quietly walked to her. She sat down beside her and gently put her arm around her little body.

Wendy abruptly stopped crying and raised her face to meet Erza's calm and warm eyes. Her eyes were full of tears, her cheeks were puffy. She'd been crying for a while.

"Hello there, Wendy." She rubbed her back gently.

"Erza..." Wendy softly said before facing forward.

"I saw you run out of the guild and came to find you. I was worried about you." Erza told her calmly. "Is something the matter?"

Wendy stayed silent, unsure of what to say. Both her mind and heart were still a mess. She was trying to make sense of her feelings.

"You don't have to tell me if you're uncomfortable with it." Erza scooted closer to her. "I just want to make sure you're doing alright."

"I..." Wendy tried to vocalize her thoughts. She only uttered a word through her tears.

Erza simply stayed silent and softly leaned her head on to hers, giving her the time she needs. She gently rubbed her shoulders. "There, there..."

"I... asked Natsu to go with me to the Harvest Festival." Wendy finally spoke out, regaining some control over her thoughts. "But... Lucy already asked him out first..."

Erza softly hummed in response.

"I... wanted to spend time with him. I... wanted to invite him to dance with me." Wendy continued. "I was so excited... I was so sure he would say yes..."

Erza lightly nodded, caressing her blue hair.

"Sometimes I wonder if I should let Natsu and... Lucy be together. Maybe... they'd be happier that way." A sharp pain pierced through her heart upon saying this. She stood silently, unsure of how to continue.

"I see." Erza brought her head closer to hers. "Is that what you truly believe?"

"I..."

"Allow me to rephrase that. Is that what you truly want?"

Wendy thought about it deeply. She dug her face into her knees. She already knew her answer, but it held her back for some reason.

"It's okay to be more honest with yourself, Wendy." She gently caressed her head. "The feelings inside your heart... they're all natural. They're all part of you."

Wendy glanced at Erza through her tears. She felt her worries slowly be uplifted a bit. She was grateful to be able to express her worries with her.

"My feelings..." Wendy lessened her grip around her legs. "I... don't like it whenever Natsu and Lucy are together. I feel so... jealous. It gets me so angry..."

"I understand. Those feelings are normal." Erza smiled.

"But... Erza... doesn't it make me a terrible friend to Lucy? To hope that... Natsu chooses me over her?" Wendy asked in a sad tone.

Erza had considered this must have been the main concern of Wendy from the beginning. Wendy was a kind and caring person. Wendy valued her friends like family, and Lucy was no exception, but that friendship now would become an obstacle between her and Natsu. She guessed Wendy would have wanted the best for her two friends, but then... what about her own feelings? Wendy was probably torn apart by this... to choose her friendship with Lucy or her desire for Natsu?

"That's completely normal, Wendy. You shouldn't berate yourself over that. I'm sure Lucy thinks like that too from time to time." Erza replied.

"R-Really?" Wendy wiped some of her tears.

"Of course. When you love someone, you're afraid of losing that person to someone else. You're afraid of having that person taken away from you. It's a completely natural feeling."

"I-I see..." Wendy nodded in understanding. "I've never seen Lucy act... jealous around Natsu."

"Who knows, she could be hiding it really well. Or she doesn't have a reason to be jealous since she's the girl Natsu spends the most time with."

Wendy pouted at her response. But that is true...

"Have you ever felt like that, Erza?"

"I..." Erza's cheeks dyed a faint red. She was thrown off by her question. She considered herself fortunate that no one else was vying for the affection of him. "I can't say I have."

"Oh..." Wendy hummed in response.

"Of course, it's important that you resolve your feelings in a healthy manner. It's okay to experience these feelings, but It's how you react in response to those feelings that matters the most."

"...To be honest, I kind of wanted to shout at Lucy earlier..." Wendy softly blurted out.

"Is that so?" Erza chuckled. "Well, you did well to hold yourself back." She patted her head.

Wendy felt her worries lighten a bit, having this heart-to-heart conversation with Erza. Her lips slowly curved into a smile.

"You're finally smiling. I'm glad."

"Eh?" Wendy instinctively touched her lips. Natsu's words came flashing through her mind.

"A smile suits you better."

...Yeah, it's not like me to be so down like this. Wendy clapped her cheeks, trying to steer clear of her negative thoughts.

"Are you feeling better now?" Erza asked warmly.

Wendy nodded. "Yeah..."

"That's good. If you're feeling up to it, you should head back to Natsu. He's worried about you."

Wendy's heart tinged with happiness. "I didn't mean to worry him... I should clear things up." She faced Erza and hugged her tightly. "Thank you, Erza..."

"I'm always here for you, Wendy." She returned the hug.

Back when Wendy lost her former guild Caitshelter, it was Erza who invited her to join Fairy Tail. Ever since then, she watched her grow and become the amazing person she is now. She made friends she could call her family. She bonded with Natsu and Gajeel, two fellow dragon slayers such as herself. She had become more powerful, independent, and especially happier. Most importantly, this was a place she could call her home. I'm proud of you, Wendy...

"I'm glad you're back to your usual self. I was at a loss of what to do." Carla interjected, walking to Wendy's side.

Wendy turned to Carla. "Carla... I'm so sorry for worrying you."

"No worries. At least you're better now, child." Carla smiled, putting her hands on her hips. "Now go, you need to clear things up with him."

Wendy grinned brightly. "Yeah!" She immediately stood up and took off in the direction towards the guild.

Erza and Carla smiled at each other, watching their youngest dragon slayer running to the guild with a new purpose.

...

..

.

Natsu had finished his meal, simply staring at his empty plate for a while. He looked deeply fixated at a point.

"Hey man, you okay? You've been having a staring contest at your plate for a while now. You wanna pick a fight with it or something?" Gray interrupted him, lightly slapping his shoulder.

"Hmm? No, it's nothing." Natsu said dryly, still facing his plate.

"Huh... if you say so." Gray sighed, standing up from his seat. Juvia immediately followed him.

"Gray darling, what are you going to do now?" Juvia asked cheerfully.

"I think I'm just going to take it easy for a bit. The last mission really took a lot out of me."

"I see! Is it alright if I tag along with you?" Juvia looked at him expectantly.

Gray turned to Juvia, blushing a bit. "... Sure. I would... appreciate that... I guess." He rubbed his cheek awkwardly.

Hearts appeared in Juvia's eyes. She wrapped her arms around Gray's, snuggling her head against his arm. "Oh, Gray~"

"Ahaha..." Gray laughed nervously. They both exited the guild afterwards, talking about what they'd like to do in their free time.

Natsu was left alone with his own mind. There was only one thought swirling in his mind... Wendy. Natsu treasured every single one of his friends and guildmates. He always wanted the best for them, and Wendy was no exception. She was an exceptional fellow dragon slayer whose supportive abilities complemented his offensive style. He had zero clue why Wendy ran off suddenly. He wanted to set things right with her, but Erza told him she would handle it. He wouldn't dare defy Erza... his life was literally on the line. Even so, he couldn't help but be worried about her. He sighed deeply, hanging his head down.

"Natsu?" Happy called out to him with concern.

"Ah... it's nothing, buddy." He stood up from his seat while holding his bandaged wounds. I guess I should rest up first. This wound's annoying. "Ready to go back?"

"Aye!" Happy raised his paw.

Just as he was about to turn around, he heard a voice call out his name.

"Natsu!"

Recognizing the voice, he turned around and saw her running towards him. "Wendy?"

She stopped in front of him, trying to catch her breath.

Natsu stood in silence, wondering if he should say anything. Gah, I'll just do what feel's right! He wasn't in the mood to use the full extent of his brain (then again, does he?). He bowed his upper body down. "I'm sorry, Wendy."

Wendy's eyes widened in surprise. "Huh?"

"I don't know what I did wrong, but I'm sorry I hurt you." Natsu just said whatever he felt was natural. Being straightforward was the Natsu way, after all.

Wendy took note of his frowning expression. Wendy, you weren't supposed to worry him! She mentally scolded herself. She felt a bit guilty seeing him like this, but also secretly happy he was that concerned for her.

"It's okay, Natsu. It's my fault for running off like that all of a sudden." Wendy scratched her neck nervously and looked off to the side. "I'm sorry too." She bowed her head down.

All the tension finally left Natsu's mind. Well, that was easy... still, he felt he needed to make it up to her somehow. "Hey, Wendy."

"What is it, Natsu?"

"Is there anything you'd like to do?" Natsu asked bluntly.

"Huh? What do you mean?" Wendy raised an eyebrow.

"Remember when I said I owed you one after you healed me? I'd like to repay that back to you." Natsu flashed his signature smile.

"...Eh?" Wendy's face flushed a faint red. "N-No, it's fine! You don't have to repay me for that. I was just doing my job." She waved her hands around frantically.

"Hmmm, you sure?" Natsu folded his arms.

"Haha, I'm...." Wendy froze. Hold on... isn't this a perfect opportunity? She knew there was nothing she could do now that Lucy asked him to go to the Harvest Festival, but that doesn't mean she can't spend more time with him.

"Ahm... maybe there is one thing." Wendy twiddled her bangs.

"Sure, what is it?" Natsu gazed at her expectantly.

Wendy took a deep breath. "Maybe we could... hang out together sometimes? Just... the two of us.... you and me." Her cheeks rose in heat, waiting for his answer.

"Haha, is that all? I would love to hang out with you anytime, Wendy!" Natsu flashed his signature smile, melting her heart away.

"I see... t-t-that's great!" She stuttered. Deep inside, she wanted to scream in joy. She couldn't stop her lips from curving into a smile. God, I must look like such an idiot!

"So when do you wanna hang out? Right now?" Natsu asked with a smile, putting his arms behind his head.

R-R-Right n-now?! My heart isn't ready for that! "M-Maybe t-tomorrow if it's fine with you? We can meet in the guild as usual..." She had to mentally prepare herself first.

"Sure! I can't wait!" Natsu smiled brightly.

She can't get enough of his smile. Wait... isn't this basically setting up a d-d-date?! Wendy's mind short-circuited. I-It's okay for me to think of this as a date, right? She cupped her own face with her two hands, grinning from ear to ear.

Observing from a distance, Happy smirked, about to utter his notorious line. "She liiiiiiiikes-" His head got slammed down to the table with a thud!

"Carla?" She was snapped out of her daze.

"Hello there, child. Don't mind me, just doing some business with this tomcat." She said dryly, stuffing a fish into his unconscious mouth.

"I presume you two have made up?" Erza walked to Wendy's side.

"Oh, Erza!" Wendy smiled cheerfully. Erza nodded, taking that as a 'yes.'

"Cherish her well, Natsu." She patted her head gently.

"Haha, of course!" Natsu grinned.

Wendy's face rose in embarrassment, but she was secretly happy, nevertheless.

Although the plan to ask Natsu out to the Harvest Festival didn't work out in her favor, she managed to snatch herself a date with her beloved pink-haired dragon slayer. Just the two of them alone.

"I can't wait for our date!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 3.2K 62
Juvia has been wandering around for five years without a home. When the police catch her, they force her to move in with her mother, since her father...
278K 6.7K 33
Lucy feels that she's weak because she lost both her battles in the Grand Magic Games and allowed her future self to die. She feels even worse when N...
52.9K 1.5K 42
Natsu Dragneel has officially announced that Lisanna and him were finally together. Feeling rejected and heartbroken, Lucy Heartfilia runs away from...
166K 5.6K 32
Lucy and Natsu are best friends and they have been ever since they were little! What will happen when she loses all the most important people in her...