Eternal Temptation

By luringnemesis

. . . ❝Once upon a time, a girl fell in love with her husband and made the stars realise that they'd gotten... More

β₯ introduction
β₯ glossary
β₯ 00| prologue
β₯ 01| heartbreak
β₯ 03| infatuation
β₯ 04| torment
β₯ 05| a mother's wish
β₯ 06| starstruck
β₯ 07| wrath and elegance
β₯ 08| truce
β₯ 09| bale boroon
β₯ 10| the breakup
β₯ 11| graduation
β₯ 12| a new plan
β₯ 13| invitations
β₯ 14| man and wife
β₯ 15| hades and persephone
β₯ 16| family
β₯ 17| new beginnings
β₯ 18| revelations
β₯19| near accidents
β₯ 20| heaven's kitchen
β₯ 21| moon
β₯ 22| DNA
β₯ 23| a fatal end
β₯ 24| a beautiful distraction
β₯ 25| mistakes
β₯ 26| vulnerability
β₯ 27| contemplations and crime
β₯ 28| shattered glass
β₯ 29| manipulated promises
β₯ 30| golden spells
β₯ 31| beauty and wit
β₯ 32| strawberry red
β₯ 33| veiled cruelty
β₯ 34| love at first sight
β₯ 35| hell-fire and romance
β₯ 36| deception
β₯ 37| midnight wishes
β₯ 38| to soar to the skies
β₯ 39| a child's fear
β₯ 40| fatality
β₯ 41| fragmented ties
β₯ 42| misery
β₯ 43| unrequited longing
β₯ 44| kisses in venus
β₯ 45| royal blue
β₯ 46| a man's regret
β₯ 47| finally, love
β₯ 48| epilogue
β₯ 49| bonus chapter

β₯ 02| choices

1.5K 65 47
By luringnemesis

DINNER ENDED UP BEING a mix of traditional food, which I wasn't expecting. Persian Koufteh ghelgheli (basically just lamb meatballs with carrots and potatoes), Chelo kabab koobideh, Turkish Bulgur pilaf, Manti and then Künefe for desert. It was an odd combination but it was all absolutely delicious and it was obvious that the extreme amount of food was solely made and ordered for the Haidars.

But I didn't blame my parents. After all, they were trying to impress the owners of one of the most popular restaurants in the Middle East — Tales of Persia. I hadn't been there myself but I'd heard so many good things and about how delicious the cuisine is. Their family was honestly goals. Hard-working, respected, well-achieving, powerful, rich, and I was willing to bet every single pence in my name that every single Haidar was incredibly gorgeous.

I'd only seen two out of who-knows-how-many-there-are-in-total, but Reza and Nafasat Haidar were the definition of a power couple. I wouldn't go as far as calling Reza gorgeous — because let's face it, he's older than my dad — but I had to admit the man had charisma. He hadn't said a single word to me, but every single syllable that left his mouth put his audience in a trance and he was quiet, but it was obvious that he listened. He made people feel important and I could feel the power emanating off him which only added to his character.

Nafasat Haidar, on the other hand, was just stunning, for the lack of a better word. There was an ever-present soft smile on her face, and her warm brown eyes twinkled whenever she laughed. Her hair was covered with a black, silk headscarf but it only made her all the more beautiful and showed her modesty and elegance. She was all soft compared to Reza's hard demeanour but they balanced each other out, completely in sync with the other. I envied their bond, as it was the type of one I'd wanted all my life with my future-partner but I'd only ever imagined Logan filling that role. That dream, however, was slowly becoming less and less likely each day.

I didn't know much about them, but I already knew that I wanted a relationship like theirs. I watched Reza smile softly at his wife when she laughed at whatever he said, and my heart squeezed at the way he looked at her. It was obvious that he'd do anything for her — the whole world could light on fire and she would be the only thing that mattered.

While I was so busy staring at the couple, I didn't notice my mother trying to get my attention and only broke out of my thoughts when she kicked me under the table. I looked at her questioningly but she only cleared her throat to get everyone else's attention.

"So, we wanted to talk to you about something important, Faithe." She nodded at my dad and I watched them silently communicate about whatever the news was. But before Dad could say anything, Reza spoke to me for the first time today.

"Faithe, so as you know, our families have been friends for years now. But now, we wondered, why not also become family; after what happened with ALK Fuels, we're sure that both of our businesses could benefit from a family link." He waited for a reaction and I just nodded hesitantly, not understanding what this family link was supposed to be. "I'll just say this frankly, but marriage is the only way we can all become family."

I blinked. What now?

Mum nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, honey, marriage is the only way to become family. We're so grateful for the help that the Haidars gave us but they said that we were like family and to stop thanking them so much. Family helped family out. And so we thought, why not actually become a family?"

I nodded slowly. "Um, okay?" I looked at Aden and then at Nafasat. "Do you have a daughter? Are you going to get her married to Aden?"

She laughed. "No, azizam. Nezrin is too young to get married. We were talking about you and Zayaan, my eldest son."

I blinked again, flabbergasted. Me? Getting married? What? "I — what?"

Aden rolled his eyes at me. "They want you to get married to Zayaan so we can all become family."

I glared at him. I got that, Einstein.

My mother launched into explanation. "Honey, imagine how much power family ties between the Khans and the Haidars could bring. Since marriage is honestly the only and best way to tie our families together, we thought why not get our children married? Nezrin is only seventeen; she's too young to get married and it would actually be weird if she got married before both of her elder brothers. It would only make sense for the oldest Haidar to get married first and you're our only daughter, Faithe. You and Zayaan would be perfect for each other."

I stayed quiet for a while, letting all the information settle in before I could conjure up a good argument. It was the freaking 21st century — not the Middle Ages for us to still have our partners arranged by our parents. Sure, in some parts of the world arranged marriages still existed, but that's their culture. They can't honestly expect me to get married to a random person — however close our families may be — and expect us to be a "perfect match". This wasn't an auction; they couldn't just sell me off to the highest bidder and it was honestly seeming more like it second by second. How old was this Zayaan guy anyway?

"Mum—"

She sighed. "I know, Faithe. Arranged marriages aren't common anymore these days and I know what it seems like. But this will be great for us, honey. Zayaan is a great man; there's no one out there that could possibly be a better match for you. Think about it: our families already know each other, they're Muslim, they're traditional and although they're Persian, our cultures together could compliment each other so well." She hesitated before she said the final word. "Please, Faithe. Please."

And that did it. My parents never asked anything of me and they finally wanted me to do something for them. Please. I couldn't remember the last time my mother had used that word with me. I could feel my resolve slipping and I sighed just as Nafasat placed her hand on top of mine.

She softly smiled at me. "I can understand your reluctance, azizam. But please just think about it."

She and Reza stood up, and I could faintly hear them saying their farewell to my parents. I started to nod just as they started to bid goodbye to me. "Alright. I'll think about it, but what about Zayaan? What about his opinion?"

She shook her head with a gleam in her eyes. "There's no need to ask him, azizam. He would agree to anything we ask of him without needing to know anything about it. He knows how much family means and he knows how beneficial ties between our families could be."

I knew that what she said wasn't a dig to me, but it sure felt like it. I felt like such a bitch about my hesitation and selfishness. Would parents really push you to do something that would harm you? As neglectful as my parents could be, I still knew that they only wanted what was best for us and that they wouldn't want me to do something without thinking about it long and hard.

Not only that, but if a man with so many responsibilities could agree, why couldn't I? I was almost done with university and had absolutely no love life to speak of. They were right; this could be very advantageous for us and as pressurised as if felt, I knew what my answer had to be.

"Okay."

"Okay? What does that mean?" Aden asked, surprise painting his face.

"Okay means okay. I'll do it. If Zayaan can agree, why can't I? And I can't be selfish; this will be great for our families."

The adults' joy was obvious and their happiness — mainly Nafasat's — was contagious. I was already starting to adore my future mother-in-law, and if everyone else was like her in their family, then life wouldn't end up being too hard. Hopefully.

"Oh, my. Thank you, honey." Mum's face was grateful and so hopeful. I finally did something that gained her approval and made her happy, and I couldn't find it in me to regret my choice.

I was taken aback when Nafasat pulled me into a tight hug, and brushed my hair away from my face when she pulled back. "You have no idea how excited I am to finally be able to see one of my children getting married soon. And I'm so happy that it's you, azizam. I'm so proud to be able to have such a selfless and kind daughter-in-law in the future."

I shot her a small smile, muttering a "thank you", feeling my cheeks burn.

She turned to my mum with a gleeful look. "Oh, can you just imagine how beautiful their babies will be?"

I almost choked from just air when I heard her. Babies? What babies?

The two women shared a secret smile that conveyed God-knows-what and I saw Aden shaking his head from the corner of my eyes.

Reza sighed. "In sha Allah. But they need to get married for that first." He looked at his watch. "It's getting late, ziba. We need to get going."

His wife nodded and placed a soft kiss on my cheek as she hugged me again. "Come for dinner soon, azizam. We'd love to have you."

With another look my way and a goodbye to my brother, the Haidars left with my parents following to see them out.

I sighed. This day was unusually long and incredibly unexpected. I started my evening with my heart breaking all over again and I ended it by being half-promised. And I hadn't even met my fiancé yet. What was the world becoming into?

"Faithe, are you sure? Wasn't your decision a little too hasty?" Aden sat next to me, his face full of concern and I knew that no matter what, I would always have my brother by side. I could always count on him and I knew that wouldn't change whether I got married or not.

"It is what it is now, isn't it?" I shrugged. "But this will be good for our families, Aden. I can feel it."

"You could've at least let them sweat a little. You gave your answer too quickly."

I chuckled. "Do you expect me to play hard to get with my in-laws or something? That's reserved solely for my husband. Not them."

"Oh, your poor husband. He doesn't know what he's getting into." He tutted and mussed up my hair, sighing dramatically.

"That's like the pot calling the kettle black. Your poor future wife. I feel bad for her, whoever she is. Wherever she is."

He stood up with an eye-roll. "She'll be the luckiest girl in the world. But enough of this marriage-talk. I don't need to get cold feet already. I'm leaving. Do you need a ride home?"

I nodded and stood up with him, grabbing my phone from the sofa and made my way out with him. Our parents were still standing by the door, talking quietly to each other and looked at us in question when we put on our coats.

"You're leaving already?"

"Yeah. It's getting late. I have an early class tomorrow and I'm giving Faithe a lift home."

They nodded and turned to me. "Thank you so much, sweetheart. Your acceptance means so much to us. This will be great for us. I promise. The Haidars and Zayaan, especially, are all amazing people."

My dad opened his arms and I fell into them, wondering when the last time I hugged my parents was. "I know, baba."

I did know how much it meant to them, and all I could hope was that I didn't regret my decision in the future. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51.5K 5.8K 49
The things I knew that were once unethical, were bound to be saintly. The dreams I dreamt once upon a time, seemed to be an epitome of nightmares. Th...
69K 5K 63
β€’ She was broken piece of glass while he had the glue that could mend it together. β€’ Kiara is a girl that wanted to fall in love. Meet her soulmate b...
2.8M 81K 64
Love. It was infuriating yet strangely addicting. It swirls in unknown waters, testing its limits before striking. The sensation of its claws diggin...
89.7K 4K 72
What happens when we lose everything in our life? Nothing is as fragile as trust. And nothing is stronger than that. What if it's broken? Will hopes...