More Than Just That

By MhayaRy

Camilla Parker never stutters when she hits strangers.But not when he's a 6'2 hot new devil who just happened... More

Proluge
Dedication
Chapter 1 :Sparks
Chapter 2 : Why Me?
Chapter 4: He Noticed
Chapter 5 : Life Saver
Chapter 6 :Jock
Chapter 7 :Dating
Chapter 8: Kiss
Chapter 9 : Playful Kiss
Chapter 10 : Soul Sisters
Chapter 11 : The Truth Gets Out
Chapter 12 : Main Lady
Chapter 13 : Period Troubles
SPECIAL THANKS
Chapter 14 : In Deep Shit
Chapter 15 : The Untangled Web
Chapter 16 : Bring It On
Chapter 17 : Party Crasher
Chapter 18 : Triggered
Chapter 19 : The Breakup Fiasco
Chapter 20 : A Confession?
Chapter 21 : A Proposal
Chapter 22 : Picture Perfect
Chapter 23 : Holiday Affairs
Chapter 24 : Lost Soul
Chapter 25 : Three Bottles Of Poison
Chapter 26 : Secrets
Chapter 27 : Heart burns
Chapter 28 : Limits
Chapter 29 : Blushes and laughter
Chapter 30 : Turn it up
Chapter 31 : Jabel
Chapter 32 : Pity Case
Chapter 33 : Risky
Chapter 34 : Accidents
Chapter 35 : Anonymous Texts
Chapter 36 : Strangers and Stalkers
Chapter 37 : Birthday Blues
Chapter 38 : Touches and Boners
Chapter 39 : Dad Rules
Chapter 40 : Levelled up
Chapter 41 : Druggies And Secrets
Chapter 42 : Wine and Broken Bottles
Chapter 43 : Amendments
Chapter 44 : Acts Out
Chapter 45 : Coupled Up, Finally!
Chapter 46 : Kiss me already!
Chapter 47 : Date Night
Chapter 48 : Mutual Understanding
Chapter 49 : Sweet and Sour
Chapter 50 : Exes and Secrets
Chapter 51 : Reasons To

Chapter 3: Waves

194 21 3
By MhayaRy

I arrived home after a really tiring day to meet the front door unlocked.A sense of panic flooded through me as I gently pushed the door open and walked into the house.I grabbed a can of air refreshener from the attic and deftly progressed towards the kitchen.A can of irritant spray was always my best weapon for self defense in such situations.

"Mum!"I cried in shock looking at her figure taking something from the fridge.

"Oh,hi Sweetie."She smiled placing a kiss on my forehead.

"I forgot to lock the door behind me again,I guess."She laughed noticing  the weapon in my hand.

"Aren't you  supposed to be at work or something?"I asked looking at her light blue sweater and jean clad figure.She hadn't even taken her jacket off

"I know,I forgot a really important file and came back to get it."
She said picking up her car keys from the kitchen table.

"I whipped up a salad for you guys.You should be fine with that, okay?" She said slinging her Versace bag over her shoulder.

"Love you."She called walking out of  the door.

"Love you too."I replied locking the door behind her.Trust Mum to get forgetful when she's really stressed.She was a Hotel Manager and rarely stayed out late but at times work just had to call.

I went upstairs to get changed and came back down to do my homework.I wasn't really a big fan of locking myself in the room when no one was home.After drinking a bottle of vitamilk,I spread  my homework books before me and got to work.

My phone beeped as a new message loaded on my homescreen. I tapped on my screen to open my typing interface.I scanned through the message and typed out a reply instantly.

Jay : Hey...You done with the edits?

Me : Yeah,I will send it later.

I placed the phone on the table and went back to working out my sums.A minute barely passed when my phone pinged with a new notification.This time,I stared at the message for a while before contemplating on what to type back.

Jay : You looked bummed out during lunch, are you
okay?

Me : Idk,I was a bit moody!

Jay : Why don't u try talking it out?

Me: With?

Jay: Your boyfriend,or me I guess?

Me :Lol I  don't have a boyfriend.

Jay : Cool

Me : Cool?

Jay : Yeah,then u can talk to me.

I took a minute from the next text I was to send and looked at his reply.Was Jake Greene trying to flirt with me or he was just being genuine?Anyway,it didn't matter.I couldn't tell him it was all Jessica's fault that I felt a bit withdrawn during lunch.Plus I wasn't telling him that Jessica had feelings for him .I didn't want to be apart of her love life.

Me : Now that we're talking abt it I'm ok.

Jay : I can't trust that.

Me : Meaning?

His call came through forcing me to stop the next text I was typing. We got talking in some few minutes after him explaining that he needed to call me to make sure my voice proved I wasn't as crabby as I was during lunch.
Speaking with Jay was unbelievably very pleasant if you looked past his rotten attitude.His rich vocabulary admiringly made him sound so appealing.We spent a great deal of time talking about ourselves and sharing little secrets.
I learnt that he had a little brother,Mike who loved cookies and a  big sister, Kayla was in a college in France.For some reason, he found it difficult to  tell  to me much about his sister.Maybe distance had made them grow apart.
I was so engrossed in the call that I didn't hear the doorbell ring.It was only when I heard the repetitive sound of fists banging the door followed by my name and several cuss words that I hurried to the door to let the person in.

"What the fuck Camilla!"Benjamin cried as I pulled the door open.On realizing that I was on the phone ,he muttered some  much more offensive words I dare not repeat under his breath and shot me a glare before dumping his laptop bag on a couch and walking straight to the kitchen to get himself an elephant sized meal to half fill his stomach.

"Sorry, that was my brother."I apologized to Jay removing him from hold.

I paid no heed to Benji as he pulled out the chair across mine and sat down on it trying to figure out who I was talking to.By making the least noise possible,he was trying to make sense out of the few snatches he might have heard from the conversation.

"Who is that new boyfriend of yours?" He suddenly asked snatching my phone from my fingers and springing onto his feet.

"A friend.Now gimme my phone!" I demanded throwing myself at him.He lost balance and toppled down.I  put him in a hold and pried my phone from his fingers. I quickly gathered my books and rushed to my room not forgetting to lock it behind me.
That Benji boy seriously needs to learn the seven lettered word
PRIVACY!

I apologized to Jay for the commotion  my immature big brother,Benji caused again. Benji seemed to intrigue Jay so I told him a little bit more about him.

"I think he's cool,I mean he's always there for you." He sighed.

"Pfft,I can't stand him most of the time. " I scoffed still burnt out he'd tried night light robbery by swiping my phone.

When the call eventually ended, I realized we'd spoken for hours.I was so surprised since I had barely ever spoken to anyone for that long except for by best friends.Jake Greene suddenly was thrown in new light after only a few hours of communication.He wasn't as dirty as I originally thought that he was.

***

We were reviewing some assessment questions Mr Manhart had printed out.

Jay was sitting besides me,he  claimed he had issues with the topic.As I explained,he kept on asking me to repeat my previously made explanation.It really pissed me of especially since he was chewing my pencil and staring at me throughout my discussion with him.Hell knew why he was at it.
I took a break from tutoring him for  a second when I realized that his pencil chewing had become a little more intense.I glared at him to stop.My annoyed glare gradually turned into a soft lingering gaze.It eventually turned  into a stare.

"Quit drooling.A picture would last longer." He stated .It took a moment for what he said to internally dawn on me.

"Pft... look at you my foot." I defended.

"Even your feet are dying under your shoes to catch a glimpse of me." he teased.I rolled my eyes and pulled my pencil from out of his mouth.

"You can chew on anything but not my pencil." I chastened stuffing it back in my pencil case.

"Aww,"he gave an unbearably cute pout and made a grab for my pencil case.I pulled it further away from him making him grin gleefully.

Before I could realize his hands were digging deep into my ribs making me erupt into gales of laughter.I immediately let go of the  pencil case and he stopped tickling me.A satisfactory smile on his face.
My abrupt laughter sent the whole class looking our way and I buried my head in my textbook embarrassed.Jay waved it off and popped the pencil back in his mouth.

"It helps me concentrate."He explained looking intently at the textbook.I was sure that he was lying.
From the corner of my eye,I could see Jessica looking at me with silent judgement in her eyes.Trust me,I couldn't care less since I explained to her I was preoccupied with my own  life to play matchmaker.

                   ***

I tried concentrating on the biology report I was working on but to no avail.I saved my first draft , picked up my phone,zero missed calls,zero new messages.

I went back to my assignment with less vigour disappointment flooding over my features.

I had been waiting to hear from Jay since I arrived home from school.He hadn't called or texted and it was getting me worried because we spoke everyday after school. I had sort of developed this crush on our late evening calls and felt bummed he hadn't called me today.I didn't want to come of too needy or clingy so I deliberated on the thought of texting or calling him.
Did he realize that I wasn't worth talking to,did he feel that I didn't really want to talk to him?Like he was a burden on me?
All these weighed me down as I submitted my homework and stared blankly at the screen.

Before I could even process what I had done,I had  already typed a hi in his message box and pressed send.
I waited for an unbearable thirty seconds before I saw the typing notification from him.His reply popped up and I excitedly typed out the first thing on my mind.

Me : Heya!

Jay : Hi! What re u up to?

Me : I was doing my homework but a certain friend popped on  my  mind nd I txted him.

Jay : That's sweet! I was just abt to do same.

Me : Lol why didn't you?

Jay : I was at this family dinner.There was no escape.

I looked at his reply and smiled,tons of negative energy leaving my body.He probably wanted to talk to me too but I guess he was held up by a family event.I don't know but it felt wonderful to have someone care and dote on you.Even when you might find it in the most unlikely people and friendships.

Me : Bummer

Jay : Anyway there's been something on my mind I've been meaning to tell you.

Me : ...

Jay : Abt this girl I sorta like.

I looked at the message for a while,my throat suddenly becoming dry.Jay was one of the most popular guys at our school now but he wasn't the hooray henry type.He made the basketball team a few weeks after he had joined the school  and his grades were really good to.His looks and charm easily attracted the opposite sex but I never really saw him pay attention to them.Perhaps he had girlfriend from his old school? Now,he was telling me he liked some girl and as his closet girl friend in Hamilton High,I was shocked to say I had no idea who she was.One of those stuckup cheerleaders perhaps?A girl he'd hooked up with  at some random party ?One of those juniors who usually threw themselves at him and spammed his locker with love notes?
A cold chill run through my bones as I typed  back a reply.

Me : Do I know her?

Jay : Of course you do.

I swallowed at his reply knowing he had no idea of how my chest was thumping hard in my chest or how fast blood was rushing through my veins.

Me : Can u throw more light on that?

Jay : She's really smart, cute,wears the nicest outfits, adorable when  provoked and annoying as hell.

I scanned through the words , hurt and uneasiness overpowering me.It hurt because it made me feel inferior and it was overpowering because I had no control over it.

Me : I get it...but I meant her details.Her name probably?

Jay : We re both in the newspaper editorial...

Me : Jessica?

Jay : Huh !

Me : I realized it from your clues.I think she likes you too!

Jay : You sure I should tell her?

Me : Yh,go for it.

Jay : Is that what you think? What you want!

Me : Yh.You can get her some flowers tomorrow.

Jay :  God ,I don't even know her that well!

Me : She might like lilies.I'm rooting for you.

I quickly went offline before he could type anything more.I didn't know why but I felt this negativity flowing  in me, pain slashing my soul.

He liked Jessica?

Why was what was supposed to be  the most magical evening of my life ruined like this?I felt so silly that this  all happened under my nose and yet I was clueless.I was  literally so blind that I hadn't realized the hard truth.I felt lost ,lonely and betrayed.It hurt like I was stung by a thousand beetles.My head throbbed and my eyes filled to the brim with tears.I blinked my eyes to keep the dam from spilling and switched off my phone.Jay was calling me  and I honestly  wasn't in the right state of mind to speak to him.

I was nearly drifting off to slumberland when Benji knocked on my door that dinner was ready.I went down reluctantly dragging my feet as I ascended the stairs.The table was unusually attractively well laid today and Mum had prepared a feast instead of the usual two and two's she put together for dinner.I should have asked questions but I was so drowned in pain that I felt it unnecessary.

 Dring!

The doorbell rang when I was washing my hands and Mum excitedly encouraged me to get it.I towelled my hands dry and walked to the front door.Flinging it open I looked at the man standing in front of me and screamed.

"Dad!" I shrieked engulfing him in a bear hug.

"I missed you loads."I whispered clinging to him and not letting go.Dad had gone to visit a project site in Ghana and helped to develop it's mechanism.He was away for nearly a month and it was good to have him back from another continent.

"How's my little princess?" He asked patting my hair.I shrieked and hugged him tighter not wanting to let go.I finally had enough and unwound my arms from around his neck.

"Dad." Benji bellowed engulfing him in a manly hug.

"I hope you were taking good care of my queen and princess?"He laughed referring to Mum and I.

"They were a handful but I managed."Benji answered.

"Dad,he was the one creating havoc when you weren't around."I reported shooting Benji a glare.

"You guys,behave."Mum warned as Dad walked over to her wrapping her in a hug and planting a kiss on her lips.

"Argh! They disgust me."Benji scowled dragging Dad's luggage upstairs.

I playfully rolled my eyes and went to fetch Dad a glass of water.

Soon we were all settled at  the dinner table  eating and Mum  updating him on the going ons during his absence.

"The Goldstein's got a new cleaning lady.I heard she was having a fling with Mr Goldstein.Poor Kasey was heartbroken when she caught them in bed,stark naked.She'll be coming over a lot now,you guy's try to make her feel welcome okay?"Mum spoke to the table as we all agreed to her needs.Sometimes Mom made oldnews news.

I went back to picking through my food when all the excitement died down.My previous worry sunk in occupying my mind such that I didn't hear Dad call out to me.It took a kick from Benji under the table to get my attention.

I looked at Dad in surprise wondering what he was asking me.

"I was asking how school was, how is it being in your second year?"Dad repeated with a smile.

"Yeah,it's good."I replied forcing a smile.

"Are you okay?You look so withdrawn."Dad queried observing me keenly.

"I noticed that too,I think a haircut will do her good." Mum supported.

" But Mum,I look fine with my hair being this long." I complained  gesturing to my hair which rested just on my backbone.

Mum was just not having it,she shook her head in disapproval.I looked at Dad for support.

"I'd have to agree  with your Mum on this one princess.A haircut sure will do you good.It'll show them those lovely features  you got from me." Dad said.

"Please," Mum dismissed with a  light wave of her hand.

Benji was my only way out of this now.I looked at  him with pleading eyes.He only shrugged it of.

Ugh! Mum  really took to her threat and sure as usual drove me down to the hair dresser's to get my hair cut the next day.I felt it as each strand hit the floor .
When they were eventually done,I took a glance at myself in the mirror and honestly I liked it.I looked prettier per say with my light brown eyes perfectly in sync with my now shoulder length dirty blonde hair.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.8K 1.4K 16
You met Lin at "Hamilton" auditions, and since then, you've had a huge crush at him. Then, you're introduced to your best friend's new boyfriend... a...
1.1M 5.2K 8
WARNING: CONTAINS MATURED CONTENT!!! IF YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T DEAL WITH THE EXPLICIT AND TRIGGERING SCENES WRITTEN IN THIS BOOK, THEN PLEASE, THIS BOOK...
281K 5.6K 62
He's a guy that doesn't even know the meaning of the word "love." She's a girl who's scared to know what the meaning of the word "love" is. Add them...
483 62 13
Camilla is given a new life... a life away from her past...she believes. Despite her odds, this time, she manages to conceal it. But until when?.... ...