Mind Planet {ON HOLD}

By Bloomingpariah

ON HOLD TILL FURTHER NOTICE Book 1 in the Dream Elements series. Trapped in a cancerous dream. #ONC2021 Promp... More

Mind Planet
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven

Chapter Three

17 9 2
By Bloomingpariah

Mind Planet
All Rights Reserved
© 2021 May Dahlia.

Word Count: 1509 words

~•~•~•~

    The mission was simple.

    Naomi could hear the steps ringing in her head like they were being repeated to her at a louder volume with every breath she inhaled. She was known to work alone, that was the only way she knew how to work. She could never put her trust in anything but science. Yet, she agreed. She agreed to work with two other strangers, split the money, and never see their faces again. She agreed because taking the deal earned her something more profitable than money and more valued than anything else. It earned her information.

    "The instructions are as basic as possible. Get in there without being seen, leave a statement loud enough to be heard from miles and outrageous enough to be seen across borders and on every news channel in the continent, then deliver our guy to us and do whatever the fuck you want with your lives."

    It was that simple but at the same time, it wasn't at all.

    "You're one Blondie. I'm two and macho guy, you're three. Got it?" Naomi said with a pointed look in the direction of the guy who hadn't uttered a single word or unfolded his arms for even half a second since getting there. The two guys nodded in understanding then Naomi rolled her eyes, stepped onto her hoverdrive, and she was gone with the wind.

    Within minutes of leaving, Naomi's soundless hoverdrive came to a halt as soon as the highly secured military facility came into view. The task required stealth and it was for that reason that she was forced to get off her trusted means of transportation and cover the rest of the distance on her own. She was quick to hide away the moderately sized wheel-less bike in a bush with a bending tree looming over it and sheltering her deeds from the drone surveillance that was sure to cover every square inch of the place.

    Once she was done, she glanced around before activating her suit to stealth mode then switching her skin screen to a mini hologram floating above her wrist to guide her in navigating her way around. She spent a few seconds disabling the cameras and putting the surveillance system on hold before giving the signals to her fellow stealth operatives then moving in.

    She took the least guarded route for the sake of running into fewer targets and improving the chances of her making it in alive. The route was the most exposed but she could only hope the sniper had gotten the signal and was in a position to watch her back if the need arose. She was perfectly capable of defending herself but the consequences had been considered, leading her contractor's decision to give her a team of two rather than going solo as she preferred to. If she was left to defend herself, her tendency to violence would kick in, resulting in their exposure as well as wasting of time due to her desire to ruin the person completely rather than eliminating an enemy and moving on.

    Naomi reached the wall without being spotted but that was only the easy part. She looked up and waited for a few seconds until the electric blue light blinking at the top of the wall flickered off to let her know her second teammate had done his job and disabled the defense system. She wasted no time in getting to the top of the wall, jumping down and safely making her way into the door that unlocked only moments after she paused in front of it.

    She was in.

    She glanced at the time and was glad to see that she still had a few extra minutes to complete a personal mission which she had tried and failed to do for years due to the lack of aid required in infiltrating a top security military facility. Just as she was about to get in front of a door and hack her way in, the sound of footsteps and a murmuring voice had her frozen on the spot. She hadn't expected anyone to be in the bunker after being told that the motion detectors set up hadn't detected any movement on the blondie's imagery. She couldn't move or the person; whoever he or she was, would be able to detect her. Instead, she was forced to stand still, completely exposed as the person drew nearer and nearer.

    Thinking fast, Naomi clenched her only weapon which was a hammer, in her hand then used the other to quickly disable the locks on the door she stood in front of. The lock had made the clicking sound to signify its open state when the person finally arrived and she raised her weapon to swing only to look up and find the very person she had been instructed to hand over at the end of her mission.

    The guy's eyes widened and she rolled her eyes before pushing the door open then walking into the room filled entirely with wires connected to every digital gadget in the building and as far as needed. At the centre end of the room was a desktop hooked up to an ancient-looking central processing unit. She made her way to it then connected her drive to download all the files in the mainframe and her eyes widened when she saw the bytes of data stored in the single room that would become hers to use and exploit as soon as she got out alive.

   She turned back to face the confused looking man who looked to be in his late thirties with a lean build, tall frame, and black-rimmed glasses that gave Naomi the notion that the guy could only be needed for his tech skills and the military was more than likely keeping him as an assurance that his skills would not get into the wrong hands.

    It was too bad for them because just then, the macho guy she had begun calling sniper in her head appeared literally out of nowhere and began setting up the explosives to give a statement loud enough to be heard and chemically explosive enough to leave behind a dark cloud for all to see.

    The man finally spoke, but with a shaky voice when he noticed they were with guns and off-market explosives. "Who are you? What are you doing here? I know my rights as a citizen, I won't be kept here and further. If you're here from someone then you should know I'm not the one. I'm nobody really so you can let me go and I swear not to utter a word to a single soul." He said, adding the last sense quickly in a pleading tone.

    Naomi pitied the man for his pathetic pleas but she never showed it. Instead, she stood up, leaving the macho guy to finish setting up. She managed to calm the guy with a deceitful smile before making her way back into the room she had left open. The drive showed that it was half done and she began to tense up. They had a total of ninety seconds to get out before the alarms would go off and she was more than sure neither of the three guys would wait for a half-second to protect her while she tried to collect data that would in no way help line their pockets with silver and gold.

    Fingers crossed, she went back out to get her things ready to move as soon as the data was downloaded then she bound the man in ropes and sent the macho guy on his way with the excuse of needing to ensure the statement was read right.

    There was still an empty bar on the screen when the main door fell in and her heart began beating wildly in her heart. She couldn't afford to abort her mission. She had waited too long for the opportunity to pass it up then. It was a terrifying situation but she needed the information and she wasn't leaving without it. She watched in horror as the doorknob of the door she was in twisted downwards and her breath hitched. She turned back, grabbed her drive as it beeped to alert her that it was done copying then she jumped out of the opening in the wall she had created as an escape route and she went running.

    The door had burst open just as her feet touched the ground and shots were fired as people were ordered to follow after her. She didn't turn back to know how much firepower she was up against with a hammer and a nail gun nor did she bother to find out her chances by seeing how far or near they were behind.

    She ran like her life depended on it because, in the true sense of things, it really did depend on whether or not she could outrun five and counting military-trained hounds thirsting for her blood of the first female to succeed in infiltrating a military facility.

~•~•~•~

There are no unusual terms used in this chapter but if by any chance, you come across a word used or item stated that you don't recognize, feel to point it out and I'll be sure to respond.

A/N: I'm so glad I was finally able to type this chapter up. I've been trying to put this chapter into writing for almost four days but it wasn't until Thursday, sometime after midnight that I finally succeeded in typing it all out in a go. The idea of Noami needing to escape from the military because of the drive is one I really like because it reveals more of the character and where her priorities are placed. I also enjoy leaving cliffhangers so it's a win-win for me not putting the scene that comes after this into this chapter but rather in the following one.

I've exhausted my word plan for this chapter but I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Angry, annoyed, frustrated, happy, in suspense, sad, whatever it may be. I sincerely can't wait to hear. If you liked it though, be sure to vote and share this book with anyone you think would enjoy this book.

~May.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Mother Earth. By (?)

General Fiction

136 12 22
"I want to create a better world where no one hurts each other; to foster a place where love doesn't have to make hate, where no one hurts or kills a...
282 5 31
From a simple conversation happening between two Filipina astronauts, to an individual confessing his true feelings to the person he loves, to a fail...
ROGER By Vee Lozada

Science Fiction

34.8K 3.9K 36
[Book 1 in the CODES series] || Clara is stubborn and installs Roger, an AI program, inside her head in the most unconventional way, but because she'...
SOULONOMIYA By Emil771

Science Fiction

1.7K 474 39
"Rules aren't put to be broken, nature shouldn't be challenged and death inevitably should never be doubted, we are ruled and we should forever conti...