Her Wolf Is Gone

By LYNNwithanE

SLOW BURN 🔥 *** Zara is a rogue that grew up in a special place called Eden Territory. A territory that wa... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 22

105 7 4
By LYNNwithanE

***Conlan's POV***

Sleep was hard to come by in the front seat of the truck. Zara had improved mentally during the time she was awake but once she fell asleep... It was so painful to hear her screams. She would be so loud that she would startle awake. James, the witch, and I did our best to ignore her after she'd wake. Each time I'd have to force Karr and myself to calm down. Absolute exhaustion would eventually find me every now and then and I'd be able to catch a nap here and there. The sun on our second day had long set by the time I was coming out of yet another restless nap. Soft murmurs from the rogue and witch reach me, but it was the sad undertone of their conversation that stabbed painfully in my gut.

"Is there a way to fix the broken spell?" There was a long pause. "There isn't. Isn't there?"

"James. Can you see them in the mirror?"

"The witch, Hazel, is shaking her head." He gave a little sigh. I can see that he was just as exhausted as I was. We have been rotating with Theo between driving, and running with the wolves, so that every third rotation was meant for sleeping. Theo chose to sleep in the supply truck due to Zara's nightmares. James and I always made sure to be close to her just in case for more than one reason. One being that we're witch hunters and we still can't trust a witch, white or not; second it's our mission to make sure Zara is protected. Her well being is the main reason why I've let the members of the Veiled Moon Pack follow us home. Thirdly, Karr was much more irritable once we were out of reach of Zara. His instinct to protect her was so strong it was impossible to fight. To get him to run I had to remind him that we had duties to not only protect her but the other wolves. The other wolves that were now following us, well Zara, have formed a bond. Wolf bonds are mysterious as the Moon Goddess herself, but I can't deny that I feel the bond with them. 'Maybe it's because they have lost their Alpha... Again. I'm an Alpha, so is that why a bond is forming with them?'

"I'm afraid that the only solution now is to find your mate before..."

"But how?" Zara's words carried so much hurt and sadness that it could make the clouds weep. "I have no scent. I'd have to wait for him to-- ." Her incomplete statement hung heavy in the air. "I can't do that."

"What other ways can there be though? The alternative is that you'll slowly succumb to the forced mark. It will drive you to madness. I can't watch you do that again."

A frown must have formed on my face, because I could feel a tightness on my forehead. 'Was she implying or suggesting that she would have to physically touch every male?' Karr seethed. I felt my temper rising again at the thought. 'What kind of sick Cinderella story is this?'

"Uh, Beta?" James cautiously called. "Do you need to run?" I gave him a questioning sideways glance. He shook his head and continued, "You don't even realize that you were just growling do you?"

"Was I?"

"Teagan is on edge, and quite frankly so am I. Karr is even scarier than usual. I know we're half way home and finally done with this arduous mission, but..." My pack member and closest friend sighed again for the infinitieth time. "I think we need some proper rest."

"No. We go back like Alpha Bryce commanded."

"Not even for Zara?" He pleaded. "She needs it the most. As well as for all our sanity. There is only so much you, I, we can endure." A vein throbbed on my furrowed temple.

"Stop the truck." I couldn't take it anymore. All the small annoyances were building up inside to the point I felt like I was going to explode. 'Why was this situation so hard? Why does this rogue make me crazy?' In the back of my mind I started to doubt everything.

"Yes, Beta." James sighed even more heavily, clearly defeated. He pulled over to the side. The tires made crunching sounds of the snow as we rolled to a stop. I took a small glance in the rearview mirror and saw a hollowed out Zara and a worried witch.

This time I felt the well of frustration bubble up as I growled out my inner turmoil. James flinched while I heard the witch gasp in fright. Curiosity got the better of me and I took a chance to stare at Zara's face before I slammed the vehicle door shut. Regret painfully clawed at the center of my chest as soon as I focused on her eyes full of hopelessness.

***

After a few hours of running with the Veiled Moon Pack, I finally cooled down. Karr and I had time to work out our anger and frustration. 'Time to ask Theo and James to switch.' James was hopefully getting some rest while Theo was driving the truck.

Morning had come and gone. The midday sun shone down brightly on the snow. We were far enough north to see if there were any humans nearby. This made it easier to travel closer to our caravan line and easier to protect Zara. I gave a long howl signaling the change. Wolves padded to stop at the supply truck in front of me. The other half of the pack jumped out and handed the rest some warm clothes courtesy of the white witch Willow. 'That odd funny witch thought of everything. Or maybe she knew.' Realization hit me, 'She knew it all. She knew she was going to die and what we needed.' Frosty wisps of wind bit at my heated frame. Even though it felt refreshing after such a long run I still donned my clothes that were wrapped up in the truck bed.

"James is finally asleep," Theo greeted.

"How are the rest?" 'How is Zara?' I choked back the words I really wanted to say.

A knowing grin formed revealing his white smile against his darker skin as I glared back at him.

"She's doing fine." Then all the mirth disappeared from his face. "A little too quiet. But fine," and he walked off in the direction of the pack.

The interior was silent. Zara stared out the truck window. With the sun's reflection off the snowy white earth I saw every mark and imperfection on her face. I turned while buckling my seat belt to turn my gaze in an obvious way to grab her attention. She didn't move a muscle. It was as if I wasn't there. Anger flared up, but I quickly squashed it due to the fact that I had to remind myself that she's been through more in the last week than most experience in a lifetime.

"Zara." I called. Not a twitch. "Zara." I called again. 'Maybe she's listening, but doesn't want to face me?' A twinge of hurt clutched deep in my chest as a lump formed in my throat. 'Tell her Karr is sorry for being scary.' Karr interrupted my thoughts. The solemn sincerity was a rare thing for my wolf. He, and I for that matter, rarely felt apologetic. We figured that what's done is done. 'Just not when it comes to her.'

I flashed my high beams to let the Jeep driver know that it was time to start the caravan line once again. It was our plan to place the truck in between the Jeep and the supply vehicle as an extra protection.

"Conllnn." Her soft voice rasped trying to say my name. "Conlan." She repeated more clearly. An unfamiliar sensation formed and warmed my face.

"Say something. Idiot." A not so sleeping James commented.

"Yes?"

"Never mind." 'Never mind?' In the rearview mirror I could see that she now looked down at her fingers in her lap.

"I'm sorry." I said after a few moments of silence. "Karr wants to say he's sorry." 'For being scary.' Karrs says sadly. "For being scary."

She looks into the mirror as our eyes lock. For the first time since our encounter at Tilly's Place I saw a flicker of warmth in her eyes.

"Karr."

My wolf went nuts. 'Did you hear that?! She said my name!' His tail thumping wildly caught like a wildfire so I could feel his excitement in my own frantic heart.

"You know," I started. "If you're worried about your safety." Our gazes in the mirror locked again. "I can reassure you. My pack and the King's Clan will do everything in their power to protect you."

Zara turned her head away to look at the barren landscape with the few trees dotting the flat snow covered plains.

"That's comforting, but also worrisome." A half smile tugged at the corners of her lips.

"What do you mean? There are no others more capable than my pack and the King's Clan." I question; genuine curiosity edge the notes in my voice.

"What's the plan then?"

Her question took me by surprise. For as long as I could remember since the witches killed my family, I've never really thought about what comes next after a mission. I lived for the mission, and the next. Not once during these years have I had any consideration other than my revenge. Everything; my whole life revolved around hunting and killing witches.

A long cold silence befell the truck's interior. The only sound was the gusts of wind hitting the vehicle above the hum of the engine. There wasn't even a word from James, who was still pretending to sleep. During the long silence I tried to put myself in the uncomfortable position of thinking about Zara and her options. Ugly doubt crept into my consciousness again.

'What was the plan? What was the king thinking? At the time I was so sure I was doing the right thing.' I glanced back at her face in the mirror. Sharp tugs of pain penetrated my chest cavity after just a glance. The horrible truth was that Zara is more than just a rogue. 'She's a valuable pawn in the war of supremacy.' Since I can't fathom the intentions of my king I've resolved myself with Karr's enthusiastic support to become Zara's protector.

'Protect Zara.' Karr vowed.

Words from their earlier conversation played over in my mind. 'Until...She finds her...mate.' My wolf didn't like the sound of that and started to paw the ground and bare his teeth. 'I know it's not what we want, but we have to think about the day we'll be with our own mate. Okay?' I tried to calm him.

'Chose her as mate.'

'If we did that then... No. Karr we can't. Alpha Bryce has warned us not too. Hasn't Finnbar taught you anything?' And with that my wolf fell silent and disappeared back into my mind. 'I've never seen him like this,' I sighed.

Rays of sun pierced under the sun visor indicating that evening will soon come.

"Just know that," and I turned to face her in the back passenger seat. "Karr and I will protect you." She searched my eyes for the truth behind my words and shivered under my gaze.

"I-" Instead of saying anything more she simply nodded.

A deep chuckle escaped me as I turned my attention back to the road.

"Smooth." James piped.

I had forgotten he was still awake. 'Kill me now. He's never going to let this go.'

"We'll be calling you Beta Romeo before long." He teased.

"Saddap." I meant to say, 'shut up.'

"What did you say sad sap?" He laughed.

"Ugh, James. Please let me go in peace."

"Don't worry I let you go for now, but only because I'm thinking of some good roasting material for later. It's time my friend. It's time for pay back."

*Internal groaning*

From there we all sat in a comfortable silence. Clouds heavy with snow loomed over in the distance. The stretch of flat snowy lands became increasingly painted with trees and streams of frozen water from the mountains drawing ever closer; closer to home.

In the back Zara started to breathe irregularly.

Fear set in. Karr immediately was on high alert. 'Has the Rogue King found us?' The thought set us completely on edge.

"Zara." I called to her trying to keep my voice in check. The area was very much the same, but there could be dangers in the thickening tree line.

"I..."

"Theo. Signal a full halt." I commanded as I pulled over to the side.

"Yes. Al- Beta."

*HOWL*

"Why'd we stop?" The resting witch said after finally waking-up.

Zara was in my arms and away from the truck faster than I had time to process my actions. 'Protect.' Karr chanted. I could barely hear him. The only concern I had was Zara. Her erratic breathing concerned me greatly. Whatever waking nightmare plagued her was frightening and bad for my heart.

"Just breathe. Slow and Steady." Her hair shifted in the cool breeze and my fingers automatically smoothed the unruly strands back into place. "That's it. In and out." Again, an unfamiliar sensation befell me as I stared back into her attentive gaze. It was the feeling of contentment. Contentment is something I haven't felt in a very long time. Karr's fur rubbed affectionately against the thrushes of my mind.

"What's wrong? Is she alright?" Theo asked worriedly.

"I'm not sure what happened. But I believe she'll be fine.... For now."

"Are you done being stubborn?" James buzzed in.

"You already made arrangements haven't you?"

"It's just down the next bend."

"Cutting it kinda close don't you think?"

"Only because you stink." James fired back mischievously.

'This guy has been jabbing at me all day!'

I tilt my head down to see if I really do stink.

"Haaahaaa. He made you smell!" Theo barked.

My brain ceased to function as I was witnessing the most beautiful sight in my lap. Zara's lips had curled into a heart stopping smile that accentuated her high cheekbones.

"Thank you."

"We're going to rest for the night at an inn not far from here." Not ready to let this feeling go, I scooped her up in my arms and carried her back to the truck.

"I can walk you know."

'Not going to happen Beautiful.' "I know."

******************************************

Thank you for reading this long awaited chapter. I know it's more or less the same as the last chapter, but I hope that the slow burn between these two are heartfelt and not plot enforced. This has also been the longest chapter I have written for Her Wolf is Gone! 2435 Words! Oh My!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 42.2K 46
Zaria and her sister Vanessa have been close since Zaria was first born. Vanessa is a golden child even after their parents die and she is left to ta...
8.2K 1K 22
"I want to let them know that they can't have you, I want everyone to know who your true mate is." ...
68.7K 2K 43
Iris has had a difficult life, running from her past and living like a nomad. She is not a regular wolf. She curses the Moon goddess for the gifts sh...
1.5M 50.9K 30
Ranked #1 Werewolf 09/02/21 Ranked #1 Fantasy-Romance 05/04/21 Ranked #1 Fantasy-Romance 17/05/22 Ranked #1 Love 15/06/21 Ranked #2 Romance 10/02/21 ...