Shred of Glass

By _akwaah_

| 𝐀 𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 | When two powerful figures collide, there is bound to be a disas... More

Shred Of Glass
Aesthetics & Playlist
1| Zane
2| Elvira
3| Zane
4| Elvira
5| Zane
6| Elvira
7| Zane
8 | Elvira
9 | Elvira
10 | Elvira
11 | Elvira
12 | Elvira
13 | Elvira
14 | Elvira
15 | Elvira
16 | Zane
17 | Elvira
18 | Elvira
19 | Elvira
20 | Elvira
21 | Elvira
22 | Elvira
23 | Elvira
25 | Elvira
26 | Elvira
27 | Elvira
28 | Elvira
29 | Zane
30 | Elvira
31 | Elvira
32 | Zane
33 | Elvira
34 | Zane
35 | Elvira
36 | Zane
37 | Elvira
38 | Elvira
39 | Arya
40 | Elvira
41 | Zane
42 | Zane
43 | Elvira
44 | Elvira
45 | Elvira
46 | Elvira
47 | Elvira
48 | Elvira
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter

24 | Elvira

22.1K 862 510
By _akwaah_

Zane is powerful. In many ways.  

His predatory gaze on me as he leans on the desk is making me slightly rethink everything along with leading my mind elsewhere. The dark aura he has does nothing to calm down my nerves.

Him look at me like that, showing his hot, burning desire towards me as his eyes trail up and down me a few times before they settle on my green eyes makes me take deep breaths. 

I take steps forward, watching his gaze not faulter once. If anything is going to go wrong, it would be my body betraying me because I am here to get something done while my body is thinking of him in a not so professional way. 

I'm not normally like this but having someone like Zane standing in front of me, watching me is something that will make your nerves shoot too.  

"Good morning Mr. Roman," I say with smile as I finally stand in front of him.  

"Good morning Ms Blake," he answers with the usual deep, raspy voice. His face handsome as ever, observant eyes flickering all over my face lingering a second longer on my lips before they are back up.  

"What brings you here?" He asks but I don't move nor answer. 

"Aren't you going to ask me to sit down? Or I don't know, ask for something to drink?" I question him making him chuckle before he moves away from me walking around his desk and sits. 

"Have seat," and I obey.  

"Would you like something?" he asks but I can hear the mockery in his tone. 

"No thanks," I decline making him frown but I only give him a smile in return. 

"Love your office. This is the first time I am looking at it. And I am very impressed," I look around the office once again, seeing that there isn't anything personal in here. Just tons of files and neatly placed things. 

"Thank you. Now a reason to why you are here?" He asks getting back to the topic. A concentrated frown takes over his face as he tilts his head. One thing I realised is Zane doesn't let anything distract him. When he is focused on something, he won't leave it alone till he is done which makes this even harder.

I fidget slightly before I cross my legs and lean back in the seat getting comfortable. Why the hell am I so nervous? 

"I can't come without a reason?" I tilt my own head keeping my voice calm. I know he is being cautious with me which is why he is asking me again and again about my presence here. I just came to have talk. That's all. 

"I don't mind having you in my office sitting in front of me." He winks making me hold my breath at the gesture.  

"No thanks." I scrunch my face up but I know he is joking. He chuckles before leaning forward on the desk waiting for me to tell him why I am here.  

I look on the table to see a small glass tray but there is nothing on it. Leaning forward, I take it and bring it closer to me and examine it, running my fingers over it. 

"This is pretty, why is it empty on the table though?" I ask. He leans back in his seat, running a hand through his hair. 

"I don't know. Just there because I never bothered to throw it away or find a purpose for it," he shrugs before he starts to take his black suit jacket off. Putting it on the back of his chair, he rolls the sleeves of his red shirt up to his elbow. Then glancing back up at me giving me devilish smirk. 

This whole thing was making my stomach churn. Seeing the veins disappearing in the sleeves rolled up make me swallow hard. I said it before and I will say it again, hands are attractive and Zane's so happen to be so beautifully strong.  

"I know a really good thing to put on this tray," I excitedly say as I remember what I have in my bag. He raises his eyebrows but I hold a finger to him before digging in my bag. I pull out a packet of glass pearls.  

"Do you normally just carry around this stuff?" I laugh and shake my head. 

"No. Yesterday I went to the venue and they gave me this as a sample for the beads that will be put inside the vases but I changed them to silver ones and kept few of the clear ones for myself," I explain as I take five out of the small plastic bag and put them on the glass tray. 

The sound of them bouncing off the tray is loud making me internally cringe.  

"Don't break them Zane." I warn him. He quirks an eyebrow telling me he finds this just ridiculous.  

"Come on! Look how good it looks," I slightly whine when he doesn't say anything. They do. It looks like a perfect decorative piece. I didn't intend on giving him this but seeing that he has nothing in his office that could be declared as personal, I want to be the first to put something in here. 

I may not mean much to him but he is starting to, to me. Unintentionally but I can't help myself. I'm not claiming him but I have a small hope that when he sees them, he thinks of me.  

Ugh. Maybe I am being ridiculous. Watch him throw them out or break them the next day. 

"Now I want you to have a talk with someone," I say looking for the number in my phone then pressing the call button when I find it. 

It rings and they instantly pick up. 

"Hello?" 

"Hi, Mrs Roman," I cheerly say locking eyes with Zane. His eyebrows raise slightly but he is silent, not interrupting me. He is confused since the moment I stepped in this office.  

"Hi dear, how are you?" She says in a sweet voice making me miss how my mom used to call me that too. 

"I'm good thank you. I wanted you to speak to Zane like you wanted to," I say in hopes she remembers. I look at Zane watching me with interest.

"Yes. I remember. Are you there? I can speak to him if you are there," I smile before getting off the chair and walking around the table towards Zane. He turns his seat but doesn't get out of it. 

It reminds me of the other day in my office. When he walked towards me the same way and told me how good I looked in white. Today, today I am wearing black and he in the seat this time. I erase that thought quickly. 

"Your mother Zane," I hand him over the phone. He looks at the phone in my hand before look at me. His eyes bore in me, curiosity running through them but the dark iris tells me something different lies under them. Taking hold of my phone, he takes it from me before putting it to his ear.  

"Hello mother," I smirk before moving away from him and look outside from his window wall. I can see my office clearly from here. Of course, some things are small so I am not able to see them but it's not hard to notice me if I am in there. Just like I am able to see him from mine. 

I can still hear him talking with his mom in the phone. 

This is my last attempt. The day will be over soon and I will be busy with taking care of Irene's birthday party. I won't have time so whatever I have to do, it has to be done today. 

"What did my mother just ask me?" I turn around to see him right in front of me making me step back slightly at the close proximity.  

"I don't know." I shrug not wanting disclose anything. He walks closer but still keeps a distance. 

"So you have no idea about why my mother was requesting another invite for Irene's birthday?" I avoid his eyes before they fall papers fallen from one of his shelves.  

"You should pick up-" I start walking towards them trying to avoid him but he pulls me by my forearm and makes me smash against him. Taking a deep breath, my eyes flicker up at him to see his swirling with frustration. 

I frown and open my mouth but he stops me. 

"Elvira look. I knew my mother would do this. I know what she is doing and I don't need this to go any further. Couldn't you deny it?" What is he talking about?  

"I haven't even been in contact with her because I was fearing this. She will guilt trip me and now look at her bringing you into this-" I stop him by place a hand on his arm. He stops his rant, heaving with frustration but he looks at me and something shifts. It's weird that he actually stopped because I wasn't expecting him to.

"Zane. I don't know any of this. This isn't my doing and you yourself just said so. I am only here because she is the mother of my client and I can't decline her. When she called me earlier on, I couldn't say no. I don't have it in me to," I sigh and look away for a moment. I don't even want to know. If it makes him frustrated, it's his problem to fix.

"Violet I-" he starts but I shake my head taking a step back before walking around him. 

I don't know what his deal is with this extra invitation that his mother requested but it has nothing to do with me. If he gets mad, then he won't agree to what I am here to ask him. This is reducing my chances. For now, I need to think about myself for once.

I don't hold grudges against people. I know Zane made me mad about the whole leaked pictures fiasco but my anger soon was gone. He doesn't know how serious it is and I don't think he would have even guessed. But him keeping it up for his selfish reasons is why I am here.  

Taking the papers off the floor, I turn around to realise Zane had his eyes on my ass.  

"Zane!" Instantly, his eyes snap back at me. I glare at him but he smirks in return. Idiot. He isn't even embarrassed about it.

"Keep those wandering eyes to yourself," I tell him off.

"But you didn't care before when I was in your office. Or that time in Paris at the photoshoot. Or-"

"Shut up." I cut him off feeling slightly flustered. I can feel the heat starting to show up on my cheeks so I look away from his smug face.

"Where do you want me to put these?" I change the subject walking to him, shuffling them together but something in them catches my eyes. 

My name.  

"Why-" the papers are snatched out of my hand making me gasp out.  

I narrow my eyes at him as he hurriedly puts the papers in a drawer under his desk before locking it. He stands to his full height now not revealing anything. His face blank but he smiles at me. The same smile I put in front of camera. A fake one. What do those papers have about me? And why does he need anything to do with me? He won't be able to get anything interesting about me anyway so I'm not worried about that. There isn't a single thing about me anywhere, and I made sure of that.

Maybe I should ask Kade about it.

"Want to hide the secret obsession you have with me?" I joke biting my lip to stop myself from smiling. His deep laughter booms in the office, so contagious that makes me chuckle too.  

"You are something else Violet," I tilt my head at the nickname. Why Violet? Why always Violet? 

"Why Violet?" The question spills out before I can stop myself. He looks up at me with hooded eyes like in a trance before he stalks towards me. I stay where I am, watching him approach me before standing right in front. 

"Because..." he trails off, his attention on the strand of my hair that I left out front as he twirls it. I watch in fascination as a soft smile comes on his face. 

"You remind of violets. A flower that represents modesty, trust and loyalty," I myself start to smile just as his chestnut hazel eyes look right at me. Their golden colour the brightest. I haven't seen them this bright since Paris.  

"Just like you."

The fluttering feeling in my stomach returns.  

"Zane," I whisper but have nothing to say. Tucking that piece of hair behind my ear, his fingers trails down my neck before disappearing. He steps closer and maybe in the back of my mind; I am hoping he maybe kisses me. 

But the fear of Kaden scares me. I don't want to be used again. I don't want a repeat of that.  

Zane has shown me a kinder side. Maybe only once or twice but he did. It's enough to tell me that he isn't always that rude, at least not to me and perhaps, that small hope that is blossoming in my heart could grow larger.  

Stepping back, I ask him one question that I know he won't say no to. 

"Do you want to grab a cup of coffee?"  

And that is how I find myself with a Zane's favourite coffee in my hand as I take sips of it. Walking with him side by side towards his car that he parked so far away because he said 'there isn't any parking there' when I saw a whole car park in front of the café when we arrived. 

"I don't want to feed your ego too much but this is some of the best coffee I have drank," I laugh when I see a smug smile on his face.  

"God Zane! Stop, ok? I only complimented your choice of coffee," I roll my eyes playfully but hear him scoff. 

"Sure. So you are trying to say my taste is shit?" My eyes widen at where he is taking the conversation. 

"What? No-I-" he chuckles making me look up at him. The sun is burning down on us making his tan skin seem golden. The black shades on his face make him look so much more attractive. He left his suit jacket back at his office so his sleeves are still rolled up which catch my eyes every time he raises his hand to take a sip. 

I have to force myself to look away from him.  

"I was joking Violet," he looks down at me but I can't see his eyes which leaves me slightly deflated. I tuck a strand of hair behind my ear when it blocks my sight. Despite having my hair in a ponytail, I left two strands out because they looked nice but now, I am regretting it. 

"My dad used to buy me milkshakes every time he would come pick me up from school," I say after a moment of silence, smiling at the memory. I feel Zane walk slightly closer now, maybe to hear me properly. 

"Believe it or not but Vanilla shakes used to be my favourite," I laugh and so does he alongside.  

"It used to be so amazing. I always used to look forward to wanting one, literally bolting out of my seat of last period just so I can see dad and get to drink with him." I laugh lightly and turn to see Zane. He has the same soft smile again. 

And he is looking at me. Not with pity but...adoration. I have never seen such an emotion on his face, it would normally disappear soon unless it was anger.

"I miss it. I don't drink milkshakes anymore though," I shake my head when tears brim at the corner of my eyes. I nervously laugh so I don't start crying.

"I-" Zane opens his mouth to say something but shakes his head before getting silent again.  

I didn't intend on telling him this. A part of me. I don't know why but whenever I am with him, I have this feeling of warmth. It's weird because I didn't get this warmth feeling with Kaden. Maybe because that wasn't even a proper relationship. A stupid little crush is what it was.  

I try not to think about him anymore. I didn't until now when I am thinking over Arya's words. Is she right about staying away from Zane? I know she only means this because I rung her up after that night. She was there when I was sobbing and breaking. She saw me like that. 

But now looking at this man next to me, this thought about him being wrong didn't even cross my mind. But he is giving me mixed signals. I don't want to take his kindness for something else because my emotional heart thought that. 

We shortly arrive at his car. Zane rushes forward and opens the door for me. There is still a conflicted look on his face. I don't ask in case it could be what I was just thinking about. Maybe I told him too much. Maybe coffee wasn't the answer to my question. Maybe I am wrong in even thinking about this. 

Just thinking that ignites a pinch of pain in me. Am I really thinking about liking him? There is no way he would. 

I am broken. Way too much. And Zane has a life. A life that doesn't deserve to be destroyed by me because my past still haunts me till this day. 

Just as Zane sits in the driver's seat, he stops and doesn't start the car making me snap out of my thoughts. 

"What happened?" I ask turning to him. Both ours drinks finished as we threw them in the bin close by. I am worried that he might think the same thing Kaden did. 

'The cause to all the problems'

"Violet," my heart skips a beat this time. Holding my breath, I nod to him preparing for the worse. He wants to tell me that he feels sorry about my parents. It's what everyone says when they hear that they aren't alive anymore which is why I stopped telling people. 

He releases a frustrated sigh when he can't say it and runs a hand through his hair. Taking his glasses off, he looks right at me. Dark. So dark yet the spiral of gold is seen in them.  

"I...fuck!" I frown not knowing what the hell is going on. 

"Zane are you okay?" I ask again with my heart hammering in my chest. I just know he will say that. Why wouldn't he? Everyone starts to pity me despite the fact that I tell them happy moments, not sad ones. It's so I don't feel that pain and only remember the memorable moments. 

"I want you come with me when I buy coffee in the mornings," he rushes out before quickly looking away as if afraid I might say no. 

Did he just ask me...? 

"What?" I ask wanting to confirm I heard him correctly. He turns to me and this time keeps eyes contact. 

"You said your father used to buy you milkshakes after school and you don't even drink them anymore after... never mind. But I want you to come and get coffee with me in mornings just so you could maybe... I don't know feel the same thing again? Like the same excitement of wanting to get out of bed so you could look forward to something like before," his brows furrow slightly, watching my reaction to his words. 

I blink. And then again.  

A huge smile blossoms on my face as I realise what he wants to do.  

Zane out of all the people just asked me to accompany him for coffees in the morning. Everything I told myself before is thrown out because he didn't just brush off something I said to him about my past. He saw that my parents meant a lot to me.  

Lunging forward, I hug him across the seat although awkward, I still somehow manage. He doesn't hug me back straight away but after a second, he does. lowly, I feel his arms encircle my waist too, touching the bare skin on my stomach making tingles appear everywhere and a burning sensation run through me. His arms being wrapped around me gives me a feeling that I never want to leave. My heart expands at his thoughtfulness.

"Omg yes! Of course I will!" I excitedly say to him. Upon hearing my answer, his arms tighten around me as his head dips in the crook of my neck. His hot breath fanning my skin slightly as I try my hardest to hold in a shiver. The scent of his cologne hits me hard. Masculine and strong. I try not to sniff in case he hears me because that would be weird.

Moving back, I sigh and look at him with a genuine smile. His eyes are watching me. Just like he always does as if he is fascinated with everything I do. 

"I didn't think you would agree because well your parents seem like a hard topic for you," I nod at him and tuck the strand of hair behind my ear again.

"I would love to Zane," I breath out looking at him as he nods at me. I lean back in my seat just as he starts the car.  

I look out the window so he can't see the smile that isn't wanting to leave my face. I try my hardest, biting my lip but to no vail because it seems to be permanent on my face. 

I swear I saw him glance at me once as his lips quirked up seeing me smile so hard.

You have no idea how hard this chapter was for me to write.

(needs editing)

Anyway, we hit 60k!! Wohooo 🥳🙌🏼

Irene's birthday is here very soon. Literally the next chapter. It will be over 1-2 chapters due to its contents but who is excited for shit to go down? Or up?🥲

What is one thing you are looking forward to in the upcoming chapters?
I for sure have this one scene that I am dying to write and I am very sure you guys will love it too.

Next update on Sunday or Monday considering how fast I can get my work done.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.7K 6.8K 53
{18+} 🏆 WATTYS 2023 SHORTLISTED ROMANCE Zemira Ford knows a thing or two about paparazzi and being under the limelight. What she does not know is...
74.5K 1.9K 80
You & I are one big It's complicated Leon King a young CEO and also the hottest bachelor in NYC. Girls throw themselves at him some just to be in...
205K 12.9K 38
"So, let me get this straight. You stomped all over his paperwork?" She started. "Not intentionally, but yes," I confirmed it. "Threw a drink in hi...
21K 581 28
[COMPLETED] When Angeline married Nathan Snyder, it was supposed to give her the perfect life. Her dream was shattered the first time her husband lai...