Detective Rivalry

By ImMorana

Mysteries. Murders. Deductions. Join Felicine and Cali in hunting down the mastermind behind the incidents in... More

Synopsis
Chapter 1: Opposite of my Room
Chapter 2: Missing Girls
Chapter 3: His threat
Chapter 4: Wrong Thought (Part 1)
Chapter 5: Wrong Thought (Part 2)
Chapter 6: Long Time no See (Part 1)
Chapter 7: Long Time no See (Part 2)
Chapter 8: Long Time no See (Part 3)
Chapter 9: Coincidence
Chapter 10: Let's Play (Notice)
Chapter 11: Let's Play (Boom!)
Chapter 12: Let's Play (End of the First)
Chapter 13: Unwanted Visitor
Chapter 14: The Game of Royals
Chapter 15: Assistance
Chapter 16: The Scar of His Past
Chapter 17: Eradicated
Chapter 18: Back to Square One
Chapter 19: Friday the 13th (Haunted House)
Chapter 20: Friday the 13th (Closed)
Chapter 21: Begone with The Past
Chapter 22: Emergency! (The Magic Enthusiast)
Chapter 23: Emergency! (The Magician Serial Killing)
Chapter 24: Emergency! (Joker)
Chapter 25: Emergency! (Conclusion)
Chapter 26: Interests
Chapter 27: Suspicion
Chapter 28: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ is Dead
Chapter 29: Surprise!
Christmas Special: The Case of the Missing Gifts and Kids
Christmas Special: The Case of the Missing Gifts and Kids Part II
Christmas Special: The Case of the Missing Gifts and Kids Part III
Christmas Special: The Case of the Missing Gifts and Kids Part IV
Christmas Special: The Case of the Missing Gifts and Kids Part V
Christmas Special: The Case of the Missing Gifts and Kids Part VI
Christmas Special: The Case of the Missing Gifts and Kids Part VII
Christmas Special: The Case of the Missing Gifts and Kids Finale
Chapter 30: Light
Chapter 31: Secured
Chapter 32: Decimate
Chapter 33: Lost
Chapter 34: Identification Friend or Foe
Chapter 35: Mystery in the Houdin Club
Chapter 36: Warning
Chapter 37: Forethought
Chapter 38: Bonds
Chapter 39: Found Ya'
Chapter 41: Truth be Told
Chapter 42: Found out
Chapter 43: The Past Where it All Started
Chapter 44: Too Late
Chapter 45: I Regret
Chapter 46: This is For The Better
Epilogue: Detective Rivalry
Announcement!

Chapter 40: Behind his Mask

182 19 4
By ImMorana

Cali

"Hey, Felicine? Hey! You still alive?" I called her but she isn't responding. The only thing I could hear are the rustling of leaves indicating that someone is walking. It's getting louder and louder. 

"This is bad, Cali." Called my companion, Horace. His eyes are fixated on the screen of his black laptop with the expression of worry etched on both. I wasn't beside him, he's the one in charge for viewing the video caught in the camera attached to the necklace I gave. He turned to me. "She needs saving."

I immediately moved beside him to view what was happening already. I saw Xachary smirking while marching his foot hardly on the ground. This must be the reason why my line was cut off. He's destroying her phone. 

/"Hmmm... Interesting. He really picked an interesting opponent. He truly is our great boss though I hate him."/  Xachary said. We can hear and see everything that's happening because of the necklace. Horace didn't just attached a camera, but also a microphone that will automatically be recorded on his device.

Xachary hates Light? For what reason? Shouldn't he be happy because he got to do whatever he wants to do to those people that he hated? I need more information.

"Horace, can you rewind the video? Put it on the part where they were just heading to wherever they are." I asked. I got up to my feet and immediately went towards the stairs going down. "Hurry! You too."

He panned his head from left to right, before pointing his index finger to himself. "Ako, Cali?" He asked. I rolled my eyes at him. Can't he see that we two are the only ones in here? How stupid.

"Hindi, siya." I pointed beside him with sarcasm. He looked to that direction with a tinge of fear can be seen. 

"Ay ako pala, hehe." He said and stood up while carrying his laptop. He started to brisk walk. "Huwag mo naman akong takutin, Cali. You know that I hate ghosts."

"Stupid." I replied then hurriedly descended the stairs. This isn't the time to walk fashionably, someone needs my help, and that someone is somewhat important. I can't risk my face again to be punched many times by his father. The punch that I received before was enough. "Horace, connect my phone to that necklace. I'll be the one to hear their conversation while you're tracing back their steps."

"Roger!" I heard him say. "Pindutin mo na lang ang kung ano ang magpop-up sa phone mo. Automatic na 'yan magcoconnect doon. Automatic na din diyan magsasave ang nakuhang footage and record."

Just as he said those, there was a pop up notification flashed on my phone's screen. I tapped it as his instruction and a footage popped up. I immediately connected my airpods to my device and plugged it to my ear.

/"Sleep tight my dear, you'll join those three anytime soon."/

What the hell? Then my deductions about those three being somewhere is correct? Horace just found out earlier about the whereabouts of those three. Apparently, they were gone missing just before the classes started. They were last seen passing by the guard house. Ever since then, no one have seen their shadows around.

I stared at the screen of my phone and it was all black. I tapped it to see whether it was turned off or something but it isn't. Did Xachary also knew about the necklace? 

*SCREECH...

 That was a sound of a tape just now. This means that he has no idea about the necklace. That's great news but why is there a tape and why is it dark? 

Think Cali, Think!  What could be the reason? If I were in Xachary's shoes, he wouldn't dare held someone who he could possibly kill within the vicinity of the school. That eliminates this place, so somewhere abandoned? Abandoned places are everywhere.

How about the reason of the darkness and the sound of the tape? If he's really going to take Felicine in an abandoned place, how can he carry her without anyone noticing?

"Cali, tracing their footsteps will make things hard." Horace suddenly blurted. He stopped from his tracks and so did I. Just a few more steps, we'll reach the ground floor. "Suddenly, I can access through the security cameras around here."

"And?" I asked him. He wouldn't stop me if he has nothing important to say. 

"Do you think he has an accomplice? Malabong siya ang may access sa pagboblock sa akin. But if he has an accomplice, bakit nakakaaccess na ako ngayon?" He asked while tapping on his laptop. He showed the screen to me. "What if his accomplice is asking for our hep?"

On his screen, different videos popped up on a grid style. All of them where just normal but something caught my attention. The footage from the parking lot. 

The footage from the parking lot is the only different one. A 15 second video is repeatedly playing. It was Xachary pushing a hand trolley with a large box on it. He approached a black car and carried the box inside it. That's it! He placed Felicine inside the large box, it will appear as if Xachary is going to deliver something to someone.

If he really has an accomplice, are they seeking for help? Does that mean that they want to surrender? 

"The plate number is AZ4563. I can hack to the cameras on the street and follow them. That would do good." Horace said, smiling. "Right?"

I nodded at him. As soon as I nodded, he began to tap on his laptop. It didn't took long when he jumped with joy. 

"Found it! They stopped in an abandoned building just 7 blocks away from here." He declared then pulled out the phone on his pockets. He tapped on the screen and placed in near his ears. "Hello, Mr. Rodrigo? Can you pick us up inside the school? It's an emergency. Yeah, thanks a lot."

Mr. Rodrigo? Ah! That's his loyal driver. Good thing Horace is here with me. We have now a vehicle. We climbed down the stairs and went to the parking lot to wait for his loyal driver. My airpods are still tucked onto my ear, just in case.

Now, it's time for me to think deeply within this problem we are in. I put my phone inside my pocket, I think we won't be needing it? 

First, did he know that Felicine was following him? If he knew it along, that explains why he lured her to a place where no one recognizes. Horace destroyed the bug he planted on her, so how? The only ones who knew about this plan are me, Felicine and Horace. I trust those two.

Second, Why does he hate their boss? Wait-if he hates him, then he knows him! We need t apprehend him soon and question him. 

Third, his accomplice, are they surrendering? That would be odd, and who could it be?

My thinking was ruined when I felt like someone was looking at me. I panned my head from left to right to see who could be staring at me but there was no one else in here except for me and Horace.

*BEEP BEEP...

My gaze was shifted to the front, Mr. Rodrigo was finally here. Horace was the first one to got in before me. We both sat on the back seat.

"7 blocks away from here. Turn right! At the abandoned building!" Horace instructed his loyal driver. After hearing those words, the driver immediately stepped on the pedal. He turned off his laptop and placed it on the passenger's seat.

/"Mmmm... mmmm..."/  I heard from the other line. The airpods was still tucked into my ears so I immediately kew that it came from my phone. I pulled my phone out and saw that it was still on but the screen was all black. Then I heard footsteps.

/"You awake now my dear?"/  I heard Xachary's voice. After a few seconds, it wasn't black anymore, instead, it was his face that I saw. He was grinning from ear to ear, the grin that you'll see on the villain's face. 

Xachary stood up and from what the video is capturing, in front of Felicine was a black cloth, it was covering something. But underneath it, I can see some color red, but it all dried up.

/"Mmmm... mmmm..."/ 

/"What's that, Felicine? You want to say something?"/  He approached again and leaned forward. I heard Felicine sighed out of relief.

/"Why are you doing this, Xachary? I thought you're a kind person! Why would you do such things?"/ 

/"There's more than meets the eye, Felicine."/  Xachary answered then distanced himself, standing beside the black cloth. /"The devil was once an angel. Remember that."/

"Hey, Cali-"

"SHHH!" I cut him off. Then pointed on my phone's screen. He only nodded at me then moved closer to me to watch it too. he pulled my right airpod then tucked it in his ear. Felicine is smart enough to make him talk so I am entrusting this to her.

/"Where are those three?"/  Felicine asked. Xachary only laughed evilly before winking at her. Then, he gestured his hand to the black cloth beside him. Wait, does that mean that he...

/"Brace yourself. HAHAHAHA"/  The next thing that showed up are three bloody corpses all tied up together. Those three. We're too late. /"Cat got your tongue, Felicine?"/

/"W-w-w-why? Why did y-y-you?"/  

/"Heh! Those three deserved it! I actually enjoyed the screams that rang inside this four cornered wall. Did you know, they begged for their lives and promised me that they will change or something like that."/  He walked around the corpses looking proud of himself. 

/"Are you out of your mind?!"/  Felicine shouted at him. /"You shouldn't be the one to do that!"/

/"And why not? It was their time to be judged-"/

/"You have no rights to judge them!"/

/"HUUUH?! NO RIGHTS?!"/  Xachary laughed again. /"Well, then. I also MUST judge you, right here, right now!"/  Xachary walked away to a blind spot of the camera. I have a bad feeling about this.

Felicine, just hang in there.

"We're here." Mr. Rodrigo said. He immediately unlocked the door. Horace jumped from the car and ordered his driver to hide somewhere but near here. He must have felt that we might need someone to drive after retrieving Felicine.

After closing the car door, Mr. Rodrigo drove away, leaving me and Horace behind. We both turned around to see the abandoned building. It's just a three story building. From  my guess, they are in the third floor.

I turned off my phone and untucked the airpods before running our way forward to the entrance of the building. I don't see any other car except for a black car, Xachary's car to be specific. He must be alone inside.

"Horace, stay near beside the stairs. Guard this floor and I might need your strength later." I ordered him to which he nodded as a response. 

After receiving the response, I ran as quietly as possible while climbing the stairs.

~~~

Felicine

Masyadong mahigpit ang pagkakatali sa akin ni Xachary kaya naman ay hindi ako masyadong makagalaw. Itinali niya ako sa isang poste habang nakaupo sa I think abandoned building? 

Nakatingin ako sa aking sapatos dahil hindi ko kayang tumingin sa harap, everytime kasi na titingin ako sa harap, sumasama ang pakiramdam ko at mukhang bumabaliktad ang tiyan ko dahil sa rami ng dugo na nanggaling sa tatlong taong wala ng buhay.

I admit, this isn't pleasant to anybody's eyes, except for Xachary. Speaking of him, he left me just a while ago, I don't know where is he right now but the words he left me, it sent chills down my spine.

Normally, I should be crying because of my situation but no tears are coming out from my eyes. I also don't feel hopeless because I know that Cali is going to save me. My necklace is still here so I'm sure of it. I trust him.

"Well, well, well. Looks like someone is here to get you." Xachary suddenly popped out at my back. I panned my head to the left and saw him slowly walking with a knife and tape on his hand. He gently slid the back of the knife from my shoulder to my neck. "And, he ordered me not to kill you. Even though I hate him, I will still follow some of his orders."

Ibinaba niya na muna ang kutsilyo at tsaka tinape-an ang aking bibig at mata. Great, now I can't see what will happen next. 

"I'll bring your prince charmings over here." Xachary told me while laughing. I heard a strike of a metal on the concrete floor, judging by the sound, it was the knife. "Sleep tight again, and wait for the kiss."

*BZZZZ...*

I felt a sharp pain again but not on my nape, it's on my neck. My body became numb once again but before my body give in, I heard his footsteps together with his evil laugh. 

Cali, he's coming over, please be safe.

~~~

Horace

Geez, I forgot my phone inside the car! Naisabay ko yata sa pag-iwan ko ng laptop. May built in taser kasi akong inilagay doon sa phone, that could be used as a self-defense but it's not with me at the moment.

How unlucky am I this day? Delikado pa naman ang ginagawa namin, lalo na nung nakita namin ang kalagayan ng tatlong estudyanteng dapat binantayan namin. Kung pwede lang sanang lumabas at pumunta sa sasakyan, ang kaso, hindi ko alam kung saan nagtago si Mr. Rodrigo.

I walked back and forth while thinking of any possible ways to survive. I can't use any magic tricks in here since I don't have the materials. Wala ring masyadong kalaman-laman itong sa ilalim ng hagdan, puro alikabok lang at maliliit na bato.

Napakamot ako sa aking ulo dahil sa pagkabigo. Why of all times? Hindi ngayon masyadong nagfufunction and utak ko. Hindi kasi ako kumain ng umagahan tapos hinila pa ako ni Cali papunta sa rooftop para dito.

Kung sanang alam ko kung ano ang mangyayari ngayon, edi sana dinala ko na lahat ng necessary inventions for self-defense.

*Creak...*

Napahinto ako sa aking paglalakad at napatingin ako sa taas. It was a soft footstep. 

"Cali? Ikaw ba 'yan?" I called then walked out from my hiding spot. Baka kasama na niya ang kawawang Felicine ko at kailangan ng tulong ko?

Naglakad ako papunta sa tapat ng hagdan para tingnan at kumpirmahin pero wala sila. I sighed. "I must be hearing things."

"No you're not." Someone whispered behind me. Because of my reflexes, I was about to turn my head to the back to see who it is but even before I can even move, I felt a strong electricity flowed coming from my nape. 

"Ugh!"

My whole body became numb. I fell from where I am standing and my body hit the floor. My vision became blurry but it was enough to see who did it to me.

"Heh!" Xachary's grinning face was the last thing my eyes caught before it turned pitch black.

~~~

Cali

Xachary just passed a minute ago. Good thing I was hiding behind those large boxes. He was carrying a knife and a stun gun with him.

I am on my flight going up to the third floor as fast as I can but without creating any noise. While Xachary's not in here, I must move. 

Horace, please be safe from down there.

I finally touched the floor of the third floor and smelled the unpleasant smell. It smells like a dry metal paper clip. 

My eyes moved on its own to find Felicine and it stopped when it finally saw my target. I immediately went there to check her condition.

She was unconscious and her eyes and mouth were taped. I also saw two burnt marks on her neck and nape. Xachary must have used it twice to her. 

In front of her where the three students we failed to protect. Horace did everything just locate them but someone interfered. It might be Xachary's accomplice, or Light itself. 

Light isn't the type of a villain that will let his minions do what they want without his help. I know that because I feel it. In this case, I let my gut feel run freely and let them decide, turns out it's right and I am doing the same for the identity of Light. 

Now back to the three just a few meters away from us, I believe they were stabbed many times by looking at the amount of blood that came out. He also taped their mouths because there were three used tapes not far from their bodies. and judging from the pool of dried blood, they must have passed away just a couple of hours ago. I felt sorry for them.

I returned my attention to the sleeping girl in front of me. I need to untie her while he's not here and go back down to where the car is parked. Finding the car would be easy to find if you'll open your eyes widely.

I removed the tape from his mouth and eyes before pulling out my pocket knife from my pocket. I slowly cut the rope using it but it will take me a couple of minutes to cut it since this rope is thick and my knife isn't that sharp. I am actually glad that I always bring with me this pocket knife, it's meant for my self-defense since I don't know any martial arts.

Not long after, I am almost done in cutting the rope and there is only one left. Felicine is still unconscious and I am sweating because of nervousness. I'm not sure how long Xachary will take his time so I must do it fast.

"Ca...li?" 

I raised my gaze and saw Felicine. She was smiling at me despite her situation, though I don't see any wounds from her, and that's great. 

"I...knew you'd be...here." 

"Of course, I will." I answered, and just as I returned my gaze to the rope, it was completely cut. I pulled out my phone to call the police about what happened but I was disappointed because it's deadbatt. I put it back inside my pocket. "Can you stand?" 

She tried to stand up but she's losing her balance causing my reflexes to immediately respond. Guess I have no other choice but to carry her. I carried her in my arms. She's not that heavy so I have no complains. 

"Cali, ibaba mo ako." She said, embarrassed of what I am doing. I ignored her and focused in front. We are almost at the stairs. "Ibaba mo ako. Kaya ko naman na."

"Don't be silly. You almost fell down just a moment ago." I answered her. She was about to say something again but I won't let her. For sure, the next thing that will come out of her mouth are numbers, in tagalog for sure. "Forget about this. Do you have an idea why Xachary left you? I don't know where is he but my gut feel that he's not inside this building."

She nodded at me then her eyes widened. "Please tell me Horace isn't with you." 

"Horace is with me." I answered her with confusion then a realization hit me. I stopped from climbing down the stairs and stared at the unpainted wall a few meters away from me. Xachary knows that I didn't come alone that's why he's taking his time at the first floor! "Crap!"

"Hurry! Put me down!" She ordered me and I did what she told me. I immediately put her down and ran down, heading to where I left Horace. "Oh please, Horace! Please be safe! Kahit na magikero ka, wala kang laban sa taong delikado at may dalang kutsilyo!"

"Not just a knife! Also a stun gun!" I added. She stared at me with surprise. She didn't bothered to answer back and focused on our flight going down. We're already in the second floor and on our way to the first.

"Oops, where are you going you two?" A voice rang in the second floor. We stopped from running and turned around. I gritted my teeth and turned my hand into a fist. I can imagine some fumes coming out from my nose and ears. "Finding your friend? Oh, he's here with me. Sleeping like a princess, I mean a prince. HAHHAHHA."

My gaze shifted to his side and saw a body laying down on the ground wearing his blue blazer uniform with his hands tied on his back and feet tied together by a rope and unconscious. 

"You bastard! What did you do to that freaking magician friend of mine?!" I yelled at him. From my peripherals, I saw Felicine looked at me while raising her left eyebrow. "What?"

"Nevermind." She said and returned her gaze forward.

Now, Xachary was pointing his knife at me with anger. His eyes turned into slits and leveled the knife in my heart. I don't know what's happening to him right now. I can't read what's going on inside his mind but the only thing I can say is, anger at me. I haven't done anything against from him. 

"Let's have a wager shall we?" He asked me while smirking. I stood properly and slid my hands into my pockets. What kind of what kind of wager does he want? "If you beat me-"

"You don't need to have a wager." We heard a voice that came from our back. So he came. I don't need to turn my back to see that person because I already knew him. Same with Felicine and Horace. They all know who this guy behind us is. "Xachary, didn't I told you to stop this? You agreed that you will not take them with you, didn't you?"

His voice became aggressive. It's like he has the authority to control people with just one word. Xachary stood frozen for a few seconds before lowering the knife and sliding his left hand inside his pocket. Felicine, on the other hand, stood surprised beside me while facing the person who just talked.

"Hmmp! I never knew that you will reveal yourself in front of them, Light."  Xachary turned his head to the right, ignoring the words of the person behind us. After three seconds, he slowly turned his head to face him while smirking triumphantly. "Or should I say, Eudayme?"

I turned to Felicine's direction and saw her repeatedly shaking her head while muttering the word "no" and her eyes were opened widely. 

"It can't be." She said, disappointingly. 

~RIVALRY~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

389K 30.9K 82
[A VIRTUAL REALITY MMORPG STORY] An unsuspecting, online-game-hater finds herself inside the newly-launched Arth Online because of her brother's tric...
8.5K 342 27
Idris Raine woke up and found herself inside a car with a group of deities. But when chaos conquers the mortal realms and the prophecy is given, will...
427K 16.7K 48
SAFIARA ACADEMY BOOK 2: DESTINY'S CHOICE (COMPLETED) EDITED Lady Elafris Hale was a Fiarae trapped in the Human Realm. Isang araw, nagdesisyon siyang...
1.2M 2.4K 3
[Book 1 of She's Still The Queen] [UNDER REVISION] Anong gagawin mo kapag nakakita ka ng babaeng ubod ng lamig? Mas masahol pa sa isang demonyo? Will...