Save Me #1

Von kathipeace

*UNEDITED* The everyday life of Olivia Brooks, a 25-year-old waitress from Calgary, is influenced by ten-hour... Mehr

-before we start-
prologue
~character aesthetics~
01| Alive
02| Mess
03| Birthday
04| Safe place
05| Hot pursuit
06| Ambush
07| Exposures
08| Unconsciousness
09| Retribution
10| Death
11| Back to normal
12| Surprise
13| Be mine
14| Player
15| Aces
17| Unlucky at cards, lucky in love
18| On dangerous ground
19| Fatigue
20| Disclosure
21| History
22| Clearing out
23| Let's get the party started
24| Unexpected rescue
25| Bad news
26| Changes
27| Sweat
28| Inspection
29| Cards on the table
30| The stranger
31| Plus one
32| Preparations
33| Dinner for seven
34| Grinch
35| Santa, Baby
36| All I want for Christmas...
37| New city
38| Meet the Brooks
39| Bad awakening
40| Welcome the new year
41| Good girl
42| Losing
43| Birthday boy
44| The favor
45| Jackass
46| Foreign Intruder
47| Downfall
48| Let go

16| The Lion's den

602 27 40
Von kathipeace

Zach's POV

I adjust my black tie and happily eye my reflection in the filthy mirror of my bathroom. It's Sunday and I'm about to pick up Olivia. I told her to dress up nicely and so did I, I put on my best black suit. As much as I hate to expose her to the disgusting dickheads at the casino, I have to admit I'm also a bit excited to take her with me. The way she masterfully held my gaze yesterday and didn't blink once while bluffing was so attractive, and I can't wait to see more of that sexy poker face of hers.

My mind wanders to yesterday morning and I smile absentmindedly as I recall the moment Olivia decided to give herself to me for the first time. I don't think I will ever forget that feeling again. There is something about this woman which has drawn me under her spell from the moment I looked into her grey-blue eyes for the first time. I never experienced an attraction like this before. The way she looks right into my soul makes my heart racing over and over again.

What happened to the tough guy I used to be?

A few weeks ago, I didn't even know what it means to be in love and now I'm actually someone's boyfriend. A loud honk pulls me out of my thoughts and I quickly slip my wallet and phone into my pocket before leaving my hated house. The house of my stepfather, to be exact. I wonder what happens to it now that his only son is dead.

Jake's waiting in his black Mercedes C Class Coupe in front of my house. I asked him to join our casino night, as I remember he used to play in earlier days, and I thought it would be a great opportunity to thank him properly for helping me the night Terrence abducted Olivia. I think highly of him for lending me his holy car since I'm not sure If I would've been able to save her in time if he hadn't helped me out.

I open the car door and swiftly get into the passenger seat.

"Hey buddy, looking fly!" Jake greets me with a broad grin on his face. He hasn't changed a bit in the past years.

"Hey Jake, thanks for picking me up!" I reply and buckle up.

"Don't mention it. How's your girl doing?"

"She's doing fine. Since she got discharged from the hospital, her recovery went well. I guess being at her own home has helped a lot to ease her anxiety," I state, facing Jake, who shakes his head in amusement.

"Who would've thought that the tough and ice-cold bad boy would have a girlfriend one day?!" he mutters while starting the engine.

I chuckle deeply and roll my eyes at his bantering comment.

"You will like her! She's funny and smart," I say, trying to hide my excitement for this woman. Jake just shoots me a quick knowing smirk before drawing his attention back to the street. I give him the directions to Olivia's place and take my phone out of my pocket to let her know we're on our way.

* We'll pick you up in five minutes.*

A smile flashes over my face as I promptly receive a reply.

* Okay. Can't wait to see you!*

I put my phone away and face Jake who's casually driving his fancy car one-handed.

"Hey, Jake. Thanks once again for helping me out. I don't know how I should've managed to get her out of T's claws without you."

Jake smiles at me and shakes his head.

"You're welcome! I'm always happy to help, and to be honest I missed you, bro. I never understood why you turned your back on me," Jake retorts.

"The close contact with all those shady pricks at the casino changed me and for a while I turned into one myself and thought I wouldn't need such thing as a friend. When I finally regained my sanity, I hadn't got the balls to contact you again. I should have though...," I explain and bashfully scratch my neck.

"Forget about it. We've all had our weak times. Besides, you've always been a moody prick," Jake utters with a crooked smile and then adds with a raised eyebrow, "I think you're expected!"

I notice Jake has stopped the car and, following his gaze, I lay eyes on the most stunning woman I've ever seen. With a racing heart I open the door and get out the car.

Olivia beams a radiant smile at me as I approach her.

"Hey," she greets me shyly.

I grab her graceful hand and let her twist around to eye her properly.

Her body is covered in a white floor-length dress which has one long sleeve while the other is off shoulder and short. The high leg slit of her gown reveals her bare leg wearing simple black pumps. I can't help glaring at her deep neckline which perfectly highlights her feminine curves without exposing too much skin.

"You look absolutely stunning, baby!" I whisper into Liv's ear as I pull her close. The pleasing fragrance of her perfume rises in my nose as I brush a light kiss on her rosy cheek.

"So do you!" Olivia breathes and eyes my black suit with an impressed expression. "I never thought you'd look so good in a suit."

Her caramel-brown hair comes down over her shoulder in loose waves and frames her natural face. She has applied some nude matte lipstick which flatters her plump lips and draws my full attention as I adore her pure beauty.

"Come on, let's go!" I shoot her a charming smile and lead her to the car where I open the door for her.

I watch Olivia elegantly sliding into the backseat, and quickly walk to the other side to get in the car next to her.

"Olivia, that's Jake," I introduce her to my friend on the driver's seat and Jake turns over his shoulder and grins broadly at my girl.

"You must be the woman who managed to soften up this hard guy here," he states, and they shake hands.

Olivia chuckles cheerfully and slightly blushes as I give her a flirting wink and wrap my arm around her waist. She rests her hand on my knee, causing an excited tingle running through my body.

What this woman does to me!

After a few minutes of silence, Olivia raises her voice, "So, you're the Jake who helped Zach to trace me?"

Jake shoots her a warm smile through the rear-view mirror and nods. "Yeah. I'm glad Zach made it in time before this fucking butthole could..." He stops talking as he notices my piercing gaze on him.

I feel Olivia's body tensing up next to me, and I soothingly pull her closer. She shoots me a thankful smile and places her hand on mine resting on her hip.

"Thank you, Jake," she states lowly.

"There's nothing to thank, Olivia!" Jake retorts with a sincere smile.

The rest of the drive we have a light conversation about Jake's job as a software developer and the way he got into this whole IT stuff and Jake asks Olivia about the Diner she's working at. They seem to get along well.

About fifteen minutes later, Jake parks his Mercedes in front of the casino, and I help Olivia get out of the car. She beams at me before eying the impressive building in front of us.

"Are you nervous?" I ask and put my arm around her waist.

"A little. I've never played at the casino before," Olivia replies, lightly chuckling.

"There's nothing to be nervous about. I saw you playing yesterday and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to keep up very well," I reassure her and lead her towards the entrance.

Once let in, we get our chips and are led to our private room by a classy lady.

We take the lift to the top level, and I watch Olivia's expression as we're traversing the fancy corridors. Her bright eyes roam around and admire the high-class furnishings. As we enter our booked room, she faces me disbelievingly.

"This is where you usually play poker?" She keeps her voice low, but I can sense the excitement in her question.

"Mostly," I answer with a big grin and shrug my shoulders.

Except for the dealer, no one's arrived yet, so Olivia wanders through the fancy room and lets her hand slide over one of the beige leather chairs which are standing around the poker table. I can hear her little gasp as she stops in front of the window facade.

I knew she would love the view here!

Smiling mischievously, I step beside her and place my hand on her feminine hips.

"Impressive, huh?" I utter lowly into her ear. Olivia shudders at my words and I chuckle deeply.

"The view is breathtaking, Zach!" Liv retorts, still admiring the view over the whole city. The beaming lights reflect in her grey-blue eyes and makes her skin shine.

"Indeed, it is!" I say dreamily without taking my eyes of her beautiful face. Olivia notices my gaze on her and beams a shy smile to me. I bend over and place a light kiss on her soft lips.

"Guys, save it for later. I plan on not throwing up before the game has even started." Jake's voice pulls us out of our little intimate moment, causing us both turning around.

Jake holds a tumbler half-filled with a clear brown liquid in his hands and smirks broadly.

"Sorry Jake," I mutter and wink at Olivia before walking over to the fancy bar and pouring myself a glass of whiskey.

"Want one as well?" I ask Olivia who shakes her head.

"I don't like whiskey, thank you," she replies.

"Anything else? Wine, Gin?" I expectantly raise my eyebrow as I list the drinks for her.

"In that case, I'll have a gin and tonic, please!" Olivia chuckles and takes the drink from me which I quickly mix for her.

"To a successful game!" Jake raises his drink, and we all clink our glasses.

The door opens and a bunch of tall, brawny, and fancy dressed men enter the room. I huff as I recognize one of them as Caleb.

Shit! I didn't know he would join the game today.

Olivia's POV

My eyes widen in horror as the huge familiar figure walks towards us. I feel Zach's protective arm on my lower back and edge a little closer to his body.

"Don't worry. I'm right here!" Zach reassuringly whispers into my ear.

Caleb stops right in front of us with an amused smirk on his lips.

"I see you brought your fuckable toy!" he sneers, and his sinister eyes ogle my body.

"Caleb," Zach says through gritted teeth. "What do you want?"

Caleb crosses his beefy arms and chuckles.

"Listen, I'm here to play a good game. To make some money. I don't care about you or your girl here. I worked for T because he knew some things and threatened me with giving the cops some useful information about me. Now that he's dead I have no interest in haunting you. So, you can relax!" he explains and grabs a tumbler to fill it with whiskey.

I distrustfully listen to Caleb's words. I'm not sure if I can believe him, but I guess I have to. At least for the evening.

"Truce?" Caleb asks casually and holds out his hand.

I shoot Zach a questioning glance who gives me a comforting smile.

"I know Caleb for a long time now. We went to the same school, and he'd never been a threat until T hired him. As long as you keep out of his shady businesses, he won't bother you," Zach mutters into my ear.

I look back at Caleb and raise my eyebrow at him.

"I wasn't the one who carried on a war to be sure, but I guess I'm okay with calling a truce if it means you'll leave us alone then!" I state and reach for his beefy hand.

Caleb smirks smugly and walks towards the poker table after shaking both our hands.

"Are you okay?" Zach asks me, gently squeezing my upper arm.

I nod and take a huge sip of my gin and tonic.

"Guys, the game is about to begin," Jake states, and the three of us take a seat at the poker table.

As I look at all the intimidating men at our table, I feel thankful for sitting between Zach and Jake. I overhear some of their conversations, Zach was right when he told me these guys are wicked. They mainly speak disparagingly about some women or mutter lowly about their businesses. I earn some lewd remarks and many wolfish glances from them.

"You came to lose some money, huh?" one dark-blonde guy sitting next to Caleb asks me with an amused smirk. I scowl at him and some of the men chuckle diabolically.

"Don't worry. They'll laugh no more once they lost against you," Zach whispers to me and I shoot him a quick thankful smile before drawing my attention to the dealer who starts dealing out the cards.

I take one last breath and put on my poker face, earning one last smirk from Zach before his expression turns serious as well. I have to admit I'm slightly nervous as I brought my entire wages from last month. Hopefully, luck is on my side tonight.

We play a few games without any noteworthy happenings and I manage to win some hands as well. I'm impressed how much confidence Zach puts in his bets. He already doubled his chips which relieved the dark-blonde guy with the big mouth of all his brought money. Inwardly, I laughed loudly when he left the room huffing and lowly grumbling, but on the surface, I kept a straight face.

My mood switches as I hear Zach's firm voice saying, "I'm all in!"

I fold and most of the remaining players do as well, but two men call and so all the chips wander to the middle of the table. With a thumping heart I watch the dealer as he places the fourth and fifth card on the table. Zach and the other two lay down their hands and everybody quickly check each other's cards.

I note in relief that Zach has got a full house, but then I see the cards from his defenders and a gasp leaves my throat. One has got four of a kind and all the chips are pushed in front of him.

I face Zach who huffs angrily. The game is over for him, he's got no money left, but he remains seated as I'm still in the running.

As the evening wears on, one by one quits the game as they either run out of money or leave with all their winnings.

In the end only me, the guy who won against Zach, and Caleb are left in the game.

The cards are dealt out and the three of us quickly study our hands. I got a pair of aces. Best conditions to control the game in my favor, so I take a second to ponder over how to make the most money out of this round. I start with doubling the big blind and Caleb and the other guy both call.

The dealer places the first three cards on the table. A king, an ace, and a jack. That means I already have three of a kind. Caleb doubles the pot and smirks deviously in my direction. The other guy as well as I immediately call, and the fourth card is being placed on the table.

"I'm all in!" Caleb's voice is determined as his dark eyes pierce me. The other guy calls again, and I stare back at Caleb, pondering over my next move. If I call now, all my money is in the pot and when I lose then I would leave the casino with a massive minus.

I take a deep breath and close my eyes for a second before pushing all my chips in the middle of the table.

"I'm all in!"

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

3.1M 77.1K 37
Jade Stone and Blaze Daniels used to be bestfriends from the age of 3 to 15. In Freshman year Blaze realised that he had the potential to become more...
110K 5.1K 52
Book 3 of 3 Highly recommend you read books 1 and 2 first. Mel just moved back to New York City. She left four years ago after the love of her life...
136K 10.6K 64
✬ 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔻𝕒𝕣𝕜 & 𝕃𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕊𝕖𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕤 ✬ There is a crucial moment in one's life that determines the outcome of everything; well, as books and m...
27.9K 927 47
This story sucks, don't read it! It's amazing how quickly your life can change. In a slow town like this, where nothing exciting ever happens, wher...