Freed

By MaddyLib_21

*Sequel to Bound* If you have not read the previous story "Bound" go back and read it! This won't make much s... More

Prologue
Five Months Later
Practice
Answers
A New Alliance
Council
Journey
Druids
A New Threat
Banquet
A Promise
Journey
Trapped
Found
Freya
The Cave
Emrys
Return
Camlann
For the Love of Camelot
Fire
Rescue
Battle
Gone
All Hail

War is Upon Us

517 26 2
By MaddyLib_21

Merlin had the pleasure of enjoying a long restless night of sleep again. If he thought he had been suffering from nightmares before, then they were certainly a lot worse now. These ones felt real. So many different scenarios of him running into Edith and somehow being overtaken. Many of these scenarios involved him losing control of his magic again and being used to destroy Camelot.

The realest one started with him being out in the woods, leaning against a tree. Next thing he knew Edith appeared out of nowhere. She was speaking to him, but he couldn't quite understand what she was saying. He tried to run or use his magic but he couldn't move; he couldn't even speak. Then she poured some vile potion down his throat, and that was it. He awoke in a cold sweat. After the many many nightmares and hours of staring at the ceiling, he decided to get up.

When he walked out of his bedroom, he found that Gaius was already up making breakfast. As usual, there were books strewn everywhere and potion bottles that needed to be mixed up. Gaius looked up from what he was doing and saw Merlin's shaky, pale form entering the room. He was obviously in a cold sweat and there were bags under his eyes.

"My boy, what happened?" Gaius rushed over.

"I didn't sleep well," Merlin muttered.

"Well, I can see that. But whatever is going on goes far past loss of sleep. You look like you've seen a ghost."

Merlin scoffed.
"Possibly a vision, but I don't really know. A long night of nightmares paired with what we found out last night."

"Last night? What did you find out last night?" Gaius got up to take the food off the stove.

"Iseldir stayed late and told us that Druids have started going missing. Hundreds of them, assumedly by their own will. He believes that someone is building an army."

"An army of sorcerers? Do you think they mean to march against Camelot?"

"After all the warnings we received, that would make sense. There's more. He heard word that there was a new High Priestess. It's Edith. I know it is."

Gaius brought out two bowls of porridge and sat across from Merlin.

"Even if Edith is putting together an army, and even if she's a high priestess, she is still no match for you. Between you and Morgana, I believe it would be hard for anyone to touch the walls of Camelot."

"I know. I just have a bad feeling about this. On top of all of that I'm supposed to be finding my 'full potential.' I don't know what that means or how I'm meant to find it."

Gaius looked down, contemplating. How and where could this full potential be reached? Surely an answer could be found somewhere. Then he shook his head, snapping himself out of it.

"Well," he started, "we should not dwell on these things now. Now you should eat your breakfast and prepare yourself for the day ahead; especially due to your lack of sleep."

They proceeded to eat their breakfast is relative silence. Both were lost in thought. Merlin couldn't get the thought of a looming war out of his head, and Gaius couldn't help but wonder about what Iseldir said. Gaius always knew there was more to Merlin's magic than met the eye. Maybe there was a place that held the answers...

"Gaius! Merlin!" Lancelot barged in the room looking frantic considering his usual calmness.

"What is it? Is everything alright?" Merlin questioned.

"Arthur has requested that you two come to the council chamber immediately."

"What happened?"

"King Alined's army has disappeared," Lancelot looked toward Merlin sympathetically.
"He fears that war is upon us."

They rushed down to the council chamber immediately. Gaius led the way walking as fast as he possibly could in his state. Before Merlin could walk in after Gaius, Lancelot grabbed his arm. Merlin stopped and looked at Lancelot, startled.

"Merlin, Arthur filled me in a bit on what Iseldir told you last night. If this war of sorcery and men is upon us, I know we will need you more than ever. But please, Merlin, don't try to do anything stupid."

"What do you mean?"

"I know how you are. You've always been secretive; always trying to protect everyone else by going off on your own. You can't do that this time. You have friends that are ready and willing to stand beside you in battle. You already know I would gladly give my life for you, but that is my choice. Don't you dare try to take that choice away from me."

Merlin looked up at Lancelot curiously, and then smiled. It had been so long since he had talked to one of his first and closest friends. In fact, he had nearly forgotten how close they were.

"Thank you, Lancelot. You've always been a good friend."

They opened the doors to find Arthur, Guinevere, Morgana, Gaius, Iseldir, and Arthur's closest knights sitting at the round table. Merlin and Lancelot swiftly took their seats so the meeting could begin. Arthur stood from the table to give his first order.

"Thank you everyone for coming in such short notice. As many of you might have heard or suspected we believe that there is a great battle on the horizon. Last night Iseldir informed me that many Druids are leaving to some unknown place. These people in particular tend to have a grudge against Camelot. How many did you say there were?"

"A few hundred, sire. Many are very skilled sorcerers."

"Thank you, Iseldir. In addition, we just recently discovered that Alined's army has gone missing. He was a few miles from Camelot when we lost sight of them. Gwaine, what's your report from the patrols?"

"We caught glimpse of them a couple of times. From what we saw, I believe their army has grown to a few thousand men at least. Next thing we knew, they were nowhere to be found. The last time we saw them they were a few miles North of Camelot's border."

"When did you lose them?"

"About three days ago."

"Three days..." Arthur sighed under his breath.
"We have waited long enough. The time for warnings and speculation is done. We must prepare for battle. We have our trained knights but they may not be enough. Leon and Lancelot, can you two put out word that we are in need of able bodied men willing to fight? We may need all the men we can get."

"Yes, sire," they replied in unison.

"Iseldir, would your men be willing to stand with us?"

"Yes sire," Iseldir replied while looking at Merlin.

"Good. Patrols must always be ready. If you see anything suspicious, come back right away for back up. For all we know an entire patrol could be taken out by one of these men in a few seconds. Don't risk it. We don't know why there hasn't been an attack yet, but we know with almost certainty that it's coming. When they come, we'll be ready. You're dismissed."

People started to stand a shuffle toward the door before Arthur added as an afterthought,
"Gaius, Iseldir, and Merlin stay."

People filed out until it was just those found plus Guinevere and Morgana. Gwen was the Queen so she refused to leave Arthur and Morgana wanted to know what this had to do with Merlin. When everyone had left, Arthur started talking.

"Iseldir, you said that Merlin had not yet reached his 'full potential.' Is there any more you can tell us about that?"

"There is not much. All I know is that the power of Emrys is said to be unmatched. The great battle will begin, and Emrys will find his true nature. The legends speak of one who can control weather, change form and even make time bend to his will. It is magic in its purest form."

Arthur seemed disappointed, wanting to know how this full potential could be reached. Merlin didn't know what to feel. The thought of his having that much power scared him, but it was his destiny to  protect Camelot. All the while Gaius was lost in thought, and he was starting to mutter under his breath.

"Magic in its purest form... purest form- of course!" He exclaimed, startling everyone.

"What is it Gaius?" Merlin wavered.

"Magic in its purest form," Gaius looked directly at Iseldir. "Magic in its purest form would be where magic all began."

Iseldir's look of confusion turned to a look of understanding.

"You're right. If he went, surely he would get answers. That's where he must go to release the powers of Emrys."

"Excuse me," Merlin interupted, "where am I going and what exactly am I doing?"

Gaius gave him a small look of pity before facing the king to explain.

"Sire, I believe that Merlin must go to the Crystal Cave."

First, I am so sorry it took so long! There was no reason for it to. That being said, I'm almost finished! I'll try to get back in schedule for posting! Thank you for your patience and for reading/voting! I really appreciate it!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

103K 3.7K 23
Once again, Arthur and the knights make the wonderful decision to go on a hunting trip. To no one's surprise, something is bound to go wrong. They ar...
51.6K 1.8K 13
Arthur and Merlin are connected by a Magic stronger than any other but while Merlin tries his best to keep his Soulmate alive, Arthur ignores his sou...
547K 15.7K 129
When Merlin ventured back to Ealdor to help fight off Kanen, he returned to Camelot with someone else, his little sister, Miriam. With a fiery perso...
121K 4.6K 39
Merlin and Arthur. There never was, nor would there be, a pair quite like those two. Arthur, the Once And Future king of Camelot; and Merlin, the gre...