BATTLE SCARS | mcc9 blue bats...

By riacte

They are the crafters, the designers, stuck in 3-H, in the "H as in the Hermit" class. Discriminated and bull... More

BATTLE SCARS
2. Crafters
3. Shelter
4. Loners
5. Humble Beginnings
6. Again
7. And Again
8. Foot in the Door
9. Of Simps and Stans
10. Somebody to Someone
11. Hope is Strong
12. But Misery's A Little Quicker
13. Trial and Error
14. Little Dark Age
15. Battle Scars
16. The Target
17. A Little Room to Grow
18. Better Days are Near
19. September 12th
20. The End is Where We Begin
21. Immortals
22. Survival Games
23. Remember the Name
24. Guard Dog
25. How Far We've Come
26. The Underdogs

1. Hero to Zero

700 23 63
By riacte

"Mumbo! How did your test go?"

Mambo sighed and rubbed his nose, messy black hair plastered to his sweaty forehead. "You know how it is, False. I'm terrible at sports. I'm pretty sure I failed."

"Don't say that!" False clapped Mumbo's back. "You'll be fine!" she said in what she hoped was an encouraging way.

"I'm so gonna get into 3-H next year," Mumbo muttered. "Being good at academics really doesn't mean a single thing in this school..."

False gulped, her heart sinking upon the mention of the infamous 3-H. In a school where sports and combat mattered the most, those who were bad at it would be sent to class 3-H in their third year. All the delinquents and rule-breakers would be sent there too. They would be forced to study in a tiny shack away from everyone in the main campus. False heard there was no air conditioning, and she knew the shack was situated on top of a hill so it would take an extra thirty minutes to walk up there. Not to mention these 3-H students were at the bottom of the school's social hierarchy, and would be bullied and discriminated against by everyone. According to their principal, Principal Stanley "Stan" Twitt, who had rather... questionable morals, 3-H was meant to encourage the students to work hard so they wouldn't suffer in the 3-H "H as in Hermit" class.

False and Mumbo were friends before they got into this school, and False had always known Mumbo as a genius computer student with a passion for filming. She never saw him as "weak" or "bad at sports", because flaws didn't define a person. But now this stupid school with its stupid principal was forcing False's friends to believe they were worthless. False clenched her fist-

"You'll definitely be fine though, Falsie." Mumbo gave her a weak grin. "Maybe you'll even get into 3-A. You're the best PvPer out of all of us."

The duo hurried to the cafeteria where the rest of their friends were waiting for them. A familiar voice shouted out, "Over here!"

"Hey Iskall, hey Stress." False nodded towards her friends, and she set down her lunch tray. "Where's Ren?"

Iskall rolled his eyes. "No idea. Maybe he got into trouble for flirting with girls again. Who knows with him," he said casually.

"Iskall!" Stress glared at him. "How can you sound so nonchalant?" she demanded.

"Well, I mean, Ren always accidentally gets into trouble," Iskall replied with a shrug. "Mumbo, are you sitting with us or are you going with that Brian friend of yours?"

"Oh, uhh, hi." Mumbo's eyes scanned the cafeteria nervously. "Yeah, I'll be having lunch with him... he's a little clingy nowadays. By the way, his name's Grian."

"Oh. Sure," Iskall said in a way that all his friends knew he wasn't going to remember Grian's name. "Good job, Mumbo. Abandoning us for this random blond guy. How did your bromance begin again? On a slide?"

Mumbo's cheeks flushed. "I know it sounds weird but that's actually what happened, mate. Slides are really cool, you know." Mumbo's eyes darted to the left and to the right.

Iskall laughed and waved a hand dismissively. "Yeah whatever. Bye, Mumbo. Have fun with Bryon."

"His name is Grian," Mumbo muttered under his breath, but didn't protest further since he knew Iskall wouldn't listen to him.

"You're still walking home with us, right Mumbo?" False called as Mumbo walked away.

"Yeah! If I'm not dead by the time school ends!"

The three of them ate in silence. Next to their table were their friends Scar and Cub, who were enthusiastically discussing rockets and spaceship designs. False knew Iskall, Stress, Ren, Scar, Cub, and some of their other friends Python and Wels were in the same class in their first year, and hence they formed a close bond. False was glad she and Mumbo were integrated into their tight knit circle. Their group of designers, crafters, art kids, science kids, and prospective architects, engineers, movie directors, music producers all stuck together. If no one was going to appreciate their creativity and drive, they were going to do it themselves. 

Footsteps pattered behind them and a panting Ren came into view. "Sorry dudes, just had a meeting with a teacher." False instantly noticed that Ren looked uncharacteristically somber, and she knew her friends had picked it up as well.

"Ahh... I see," Stress said, keeping her tone neutral to avoid upsetting Ren.

Ren slid into his seat. "Well. I was just told I would be getting into 3-H." He laughed, but it was a hollow laugh.

False gripped her fork. "What? We haven't even had finals yet! It's too early to decide—"

Ren shot her a withered look. "Yeah. About that. Apparently I did so badly in the previous tests and exams that even if I ace the finals, I'll be dropped down to 3-H anyway."

"Oh."

False and Iskall, knowing they were the best in PvP among the four, wisely decided to shut up.

"Well... it's not all bad! At least you can stop worrying about sports and work on something else!" Stress attempted to comfort him. "S-sorry if that sounded patronising... to be honest, I feel like I'm going to be demoted to 3-H as well."

"I sincerely hope you don't," Ren said.

"At least we'll have each other if I'm in 3-H." Stress tried to smile. "That's the silver lining!"

"Come on, you know we'll still be friends even if some of us get into 3-H!" Iskall patted Ren and Stress' shoulders.

"Yeah! We won't be converted by those egotistical PvPers and their unfair systems, I promise you all!" False chimed in.

This time, Ren's small smile looked genuine. "Yeah, thank you. I trust you guys. Nothing can separate us."

-

When False saw Ren next morning, he looked like he had spent the rest of the night crying. He was clearly trying to hide it though, so False wouldn't bring it up.

"Hi, neighbour."

"Morning, Ren."

They lived pretty close to each other, so technically False knew Ren before she met Mumbo, but they didn't really interact until they got into the same school. Getting close to someone who walked with you to school every day for two years was pretty much inevitable. They would meet at the same tree every day, at the same time, without fail. Occasionally, False would munch on bananas to give her that extra boost of energy before school (bananas were her favourite food, partly because Mumbo made a fool of himself by screaming "BANANAS! BANANAS!" at the wrong time. No, False would not elaborate.)

"Mumbo and I are gonna work on a filming project today. He's going to bring his expensive camera."

"Mmhmm." False was busy eating a banana. "Sounds cool."

"You doing anything, Falsie?"

"I'm hopefully gonna finish one of my building designs today."

Designing. That was what brought all of them together. Their love for the arts and the science separated them from their classmates who were only concerned about attacking and reflexes and wrestling. If False remembered correctly, Mumbo's new best friend Grian was extremely talented at designing buildings and had even won awards before. (Mumbo had often said he was "shit" at designing buildings and was much better at designing machines. Funny how he and Grian instantly became best buddies.)

The two were soon joined by Iskall, Stress, and Mumbo, who all lived in the same area. The five fell into their usual routine of bantering. Mumbo took out his precious camera and he and Ren instantly started fanboying over it.

"This camera costs a fortune," Mumbo told everyone excitedly. "I begged my parents for months to get me this for my birthday... and I had to do all the chores for three months to show that I really wanted this camera..."

"Now just don't be a spoon and drop it," Iskall laughed.

"Aww, don't jinx it!" Stress pinched Iskall's arm.

"I'll probably cry if someone steals this or something." Mumbo carefully put his camera away. He rubbed his hands together. "Argh, my palms are getting sweaty."

"Yeah, I'm also sweating in places where I'm not supposed to be sweating!" Ren giggled.

False snuck a look at Ren. He looked a lot happier now, and she was glad his filming project with Mumbo raised his spirits.

False knew it sounded cheesy, but so long they had their friends, False was sure they would be alright.

-

During P.E., False and Cub quietly watched their classmates spar. There was one fight in the middle of the gym that attracted everyone's attention, and False squinted at the two figures. "That's Techno, right?"

Technoblade, the Blood God. Everyone feared him. His signature pink braid whipped back and forth as he pounced and attacked his opponent, which was some guy with lime green hair that False could never remember the name of.

"Who's the other guy? Fruitberries?" False asked.

Cub chortled. "Wrong again. That's Dream. False, how come you always mix these two up?"

"It's not my fault they look similar," False replied defensively.

Dream was the most popular student in their school, and one of the best PvPers. He and his friends called themselves "The Dream Team" (False thought that was a terrible name. Cub agreed). Along with two other students, Pete and Fruitberries, they were known as the "Green Gods" due to their legendary skills and similar green hair. False knew how Pete looked like, and she knew how Fruit looked like— she just kept on mistaking Dream for Fruit. All her friends thought it was hilarious that she couldn't remember what the massively popular Dream looked like but firmly remembered least popular Green God. And apparently, others always mistook Fruit for Dream. Only False made the mistake the other way round.

"You're such a Fruitberries stan," Iskall had teased her. "He's the only Green God who matters to you. Dream who?"

False had replied with, "I haven't ever spoken to him."

Everybody knew Dream would be the leader of the student council next year. No one could contend with him. Not even Technoblade.

"That's Fruit over there." Cub nudged False and pointed at two figures sparring with wooden swords. One was Fruit, and the other was a brunet that False didn't really know. Fruit struck the other guy and he yelled, "Man! Fruit, you're insane!"

"Whoa, geez, that guy has a loud voice," Cub muttered. False hummed in agreement.

Somebody suddenly darted behind Cub and False. It was Mumbo. "Hide me for a bit, will you? I think I just saw those 2-A goons that I may or may not have angered."

"Wait wait wait." False held up a hand. "Mumbo, what did you do?" Sure, Mumbo was mildly annoying in the "little brother" way, but False couldn't see Mumbo making any real enemies. He was too nice and... mild.

Mumbo grinned sheepishly. "Yesterday, these PvPers were laughing at how badly I did on my test. I wasn't having any of it so I told them something about brains over brawn. And apparently that hurt their feelings because they failed their last math test and... not to brag but I did pretty great. So they probably hate my guts now. And they sort things out using their fists (like a bunch of barbarians) sooo...." Mumbo chuckled. "I guess I'm in danger?"

"Good thing you stood up to them," Cub said.

Mumbo snorted. "Yeah, I don't regret that one bit. Hey False, don't look so worried! I know how to keep myself safe."

"Yeah..." False stared down at her hands, which were littered in scars from her previous battles. "You're a smart guy, Mumbo," she said half-sarcastically, half-sincerely. "But can't help but feel a little... concerned since those 2-A kids are no joke."

"I knowww!" Mumbo groaned. "But I can't do anything about it... I mean, I definitely won't apologise for hurting their fragile egos."

"Mumbo, you can always make a taser and use it for self-defence," Cub suggested idly.

"Woah woah. Let's not give him any ideas—"

"Mate, I'll be expelled by Stan Twitt!" Mumbo exclaimed. "Imagine the headlines: a student of MCYT electrifies poor innocent souls for fun! #MumboJumboIsOverParty will trend everywhere!"

"The only 'poor innocent souls' here are the 3-H people, to be frank," False muttered.

Mumbo deflated, and False instantly regretted bringing up 3-H. "To be honest, I don't think I can make it to 3-G," Mumbo muttered. "I'll definitely be dropped to 3-H. Har har. Guess I'll die."

Cub shifted uncomfortably. "Uhh... speaking of 3-H, I know several people have already gotten notices that they would be in 3-H next year."

Ah. That wasn't news to False. "Ren?"

"Yeah, him and Scar," Cub sighed. False's heart was crushed. Scar was possibly the most cheerful and purest soul she knew— would being in 3-H break him? But at least now she knew Scar and Ren had each other.

"You know... I would tell Ren to take care of Scar but I don't think there's the need..." Cub awkwardly laughed. False's blood froze. No. This isn't happening again.

"I think I'll probably be in 3-H as well," Cub confessed.

"B-but, you're good at shooting stuff! Didn't you ace that last test—"

Cub laughed. "Yeah, I did, but does that mean anything? When I can barely swing a sword or run fast enough?"

"Like... I've been comparing my scores to some of my classmates. You know Pearl? I'm worse than her, and she just got told that she has a high risk of falling to 3-H. If Pearl can't escape from 3-H, how can I?"

False was silent. In two days, she'd seen most of her friends worrying about getting in 3-H. Scratch that, all of her friends except Iskall were certain they were going to be in 3-H. All of her talented, kind friends were suddenly doubting their worth and thinking the world was ending. Because of some stupid policy Stan Twitt had implemented.

... That being said, did False really have the right to say that? Unlike all of them, she faced no danger of being dropped down to 3-H. They would probably think she was pitying them, and that was the last thing False wanted.

Boisterous whoops and cheers interrupted False's train of thought, and the three of them spun to see Dream and his friends jumping up and down in excitement. Apparently he had just beat Technoblade. All of the PvPers had gigantic smiles on their face, even Techno, who had lost. False watched as Dream extended a hand to Techno and helped him up.

... It was funny, wasn't it? The skilled PvPers would be praised and adored by all no matter what they did. But the designers, the crafters, False's friends, were struggling to even be accepted in this society. Despite their wide variety of talents and how much hard work they put in. It was supremely unfair.

They were at the bottom of the unnecessary social hierarchy Stan Twitt created. And False couldn't wait for the day when they would overthrow it.

-

During lunch break, False took a stroll around the campus. Maybe she could find a quiet place to sit down and work on her building designs. But that idea was disrupted when she heard a scream. A familiar scream.

Mumbo.

False's stomach churned and she dashed towards the origin of the scream. She remembered what Mumbo had said about angering some 2-A kids— oh no oh no what if they were getting revenge—

False found three beefy kids standing in the small alleyway between two buildings. On the floor was a shaking Mumbo, his face bruised and bleeding. Anger roared in False's veins.

"Stop this right now!" False demanded, hands balling up in fists. The three bullies turned to look at her.

"Aww, how cute, someone's coming to save you," one of them cooed in a nauseating voice. "Make one move and I'll smash his precious baby camera to pieces!"

It felt like someone poured a bucket of ice over False's heart. She spied the camera in their hands, and automatically froze. They knew how to hurt Mumbo the most, and how to make her stop—

"Give it back," Mumbo choked out savagely, blood dripping from his lip. He stumbled to his feet. Despite being hurt, and having his camera taken from him, Mumbo was still fighting with all he got. "Give it back, you monsters!"

"Shut up, neeerd!"

An arm swung towards Mumbo, and False acted on instinct. She pounced and intercepted the fist. It hurt a little, but pain didn't matter at the moment.

"Give us the camera or perish," False stated coolly, her icy tone a sharp contrast to the fire raging in her.

"Oh yeah?" The bully smirked. He raised the camera. "Whatcha gonna do if I—"

False's eyes bulged. She knew exactly what was going to happen.

The camera soared through the air and False leapt without hesitation, arms outstretched. She painfully thudded on the ground, and she was pretty sure she'd scratched and bruised herself, but the camera was safely in her hands. She sighed in relief. That was the only thing that mattered.

Someone was screaming. Was it Mumbo? Or was it her? She spun to see Mumbo on the floor again, hands in front of his face in a weak attempt to defend himself—

And suddenly it wasn't just Mumbo. She saw her friends, with despaired faces, helpless against the harsh rules of this school—

Pain throbbed from her wounds, but the true pain originated from somewhere else.

So False snapped.

-

...

"False! False!"

Punch. Stab. A sickening crunch.

"Iskall! I-"

Hot liquid dripped down her face. Something slammed into her skull and her head spun, but she continued. Physical pain wouldn't stop her.

They hurt Mumbo. They hurt my friends.

This wasn't retaliation. Oh no, oh no, oh no.

This was to protect other people. She gritted her teeth.

Don't.

A swing of her fist.

Hurt.

Kick.

My.

Her heel crushed on someone's foot. They howled. She felt a hot flare of satisfaction.

FRIENDS!

"False! FALSE!"

Someone tugged on her shirt. False nearly whacked them in the head, but stopped when she recognised the person.

"Mumbo!" False exclaimed, her expression changing in a split second. All bloodlust vanished from her eyes as she grabbed Mumbo's shoulders. "Oh my goodness, did they hurt you after that? Is your camera okay—"

Then she saw Mumbo's expression. It was one of fear.

"Y-you're bleeding, Falsie."

"I don't care," False told him honestly.

"Umm, guys, bad news," came Iskall's voice. Wait, when did Iskall appear? False couldn't recall. Her brain was fuzzy and her vision was still tinged with red.

A shadow loomed over all of them, and False swallowed.

Their principal, Stan Twitt, looked like an angry strawberry, except False actually liked strawberries. "Hurting my UwU cishet white boy babies?" they screeched. "YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET CANCELLED!"

"Oh no."

"Yeah, oh no."

-

False, Mumbo, and Iskall walked out of Stan Twitt's office (which wasn't much of an office anyway. It was just a room plastered with posters of popular PvPers and other weird pictures.) All of them were seething, in particular False and Iskall.

"Sorry I got you guys involved," Mumbo muttered. "I- you guys don't deserve this."

"Oh shut up, Mumbo," Iskall growled. "We crafters stick together."

Apparently Iskall had appeared while False was fighting the three bullies. (She had practically single-handedly defeated three 2-A PvPers, which would probably move her up from 2-B to 3-A if she did it with other circumstances.)

"Those 2-A kids are at fault," False insisted. She shook her head, still in disbelief at Stan Twitt's judgement. "They attacked first. We attacked back for self defence."

"Yeah, but who are they gonna listen to?" Mumbo sighed. "The UwU popular kids or the loners that are gonna drop down to 3-H?"

"Screw Stan Twitt's system. I want to blow this place up."

"Yeah, that's what Grian said."

A pause. "Huh. I think I'm liking this Grian guy now."

False fiddled with the bandages on her arm. The fire inside her hadn't died down one bit, but as of now, she was powerless. That didn't mean she wasn't going to strike back. "So. Who's going to tell our friends we're all in 3-H now?"

-

A/N: Hi! Ever since H said he recommends Assassination Classroom, I can't help but connect AssClass to MCC9 Blue Bats. The found family dynamics, the underdogs victory, a bunch of underestimated people honing their special skills and faithfully sticking to each other... if you love the Bats, you'll definitely love Assassination Classroom.

So yeah, this is inspired by AssClass. I know I said this is about the Bats but it's going to be hermit centric. I'll include other MCC builders too, but they won't be in the same class as the hermits (since I want to make that H as in Hermit joke).

There has to be villains in this story, so I took inspiration from what happened irl... but I don't mean any offence to anybody that is portrayed as a "villain" here. We just need someone to pose as obstacles to our heroes lmao.

The name "Battle Scars" comes from the song by Paradise Fears. It's a really sweet song that I think really shows the dynamic between the Bats. (I also listened to it on repeat while talking about this fic to @ivi-prism on tumblr lol).

Oh yeah, special thanks to Ivi for helping out with the fic and the ideas! To be honest, I dunno if I have the energy/ time to finish this, but I'll do what I can when I have the inspiration lol.

Also this is reposted from my ao3 (also under @riacte), I'll probably update that more often hehehhe

Blue Bats Supremacy :DD

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

304K 9.1K 100
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
75.8K 1.7K 32
!Uploads daily! Max starts his first year at college. Everything goes well for him and his friends PJ and Bobby until he meets Bradley Uppercrust the...
63.6K 1.3K 47
*Completed* "Fake it till you make it?" A messy relationship with a heartbroken singer in the midst of a world tour sounds like the last thing Lando...
172K 4.5K 39
" She is my wife, stay away from her!" " Keep trying she will remain mine. " " Show me your scars, I want to see how many times you needed...