Death Has a New Face

By 923rd_Ranger_Corps

After an incident during the Occupation of Umbara, in the Third year of the Clone Wars the 923rd had experien... More

Thank You Note
Prologue
V1: E1
V1: E2
V1: E3
V1: E4
V1: E5
V1: E6
V1: E7
V1: E8
V1: E9
V1: E11
V1: E12
V1: E13
V1: E14
V1: E15
V1: E16
V1: Epilogue
V2: E1
V2: E2
V2: E3
V2: E4
V2: E5
V2: E6
V2: E7
Status Check
Update: Been a little busy.

V1: E10

56 2 0
By 923rd_Ranger_Corps

(In class, a few minutes later) [Calista POV]

**Weiss, now back in her regular attire, readying her Myrtenaster at the growling creature in the cage barely seen at the end of the last episode. Her teammates cheer her on from their seats in the front row.**

Yang: *raising her fist* Goooo, Weiss!

Blake: *waving a small flag saying "RWBY"* Fight well!

Ruby: Yeah, represent Teeeeam RWBY!

Calista: *focused on the cage as her HUD gives her minimal information* A..... a Boarbatusk?

Weiss Schnee : *lowering her sword and looking over at her "leader" and her "friend"* Ruby! I'm trying to focus! And Calista! Will you quit asking questions and taking everything!

Ruby: *looking sheepish* Oh, um... Sorry...

Calista: *looking down as she pulls up her balaclava. Sinking a bit into the seat* O- o- oh.......

Red: *quiet as he watches Weiss, internally preparing to explain a missing student*

Port: Allllright! *next to the cage, pulling out Blowhard* Let the match... begin!

**The professor swings down and breaks the lock, dropping the cage door and revealing the Boarbatusk inside, which immediately charges at Weiss. She uses Myrtenaster to deflect its attack and roll to the side, readying herself for its next move. The Grimm stands a distance away from its enemy, studying her.**

Port: Ha-ha! Wasn't expecting that, were you?

Ruby: Hang in there, Weiss!

Calista: *chin on the table as she watches Weiss fight* Watch your step.

**Weiss is now speeding towards the oncoming Boarbatusk, sticking her blade straight at its skull until they meet and Myrtenaster is trapped in the beast's tusks. Weiss is still hanging on to the hilt, and is tossed around as she struggles to get the rapier back.**

Port: Bold, new approach. I like it!

Ruby: Come on, Weiss, show it who's boss!

Calista: *quietly* This is where an explosive charge or a secondary weapon would be useful... don't rely on a primary.

**Weiss turns to glare at Ruby and Calista, only for the Boarbatusk to turn its head and rip the sword from her grip. Myrtenaster lands far away from its master, who is knocked back by the creature's tusks.**

Port: Oh-ho! Now what will you do without your weapon?

**Weiss looks up just in time to see the Boarbatusk charge again, rolling out of the way just in time to avoid getting trampled and make it crash into a desk. Weiss rushes at her sword and slides to get it back in her hand.**

Ruby: Weiss! Go for its belly! There's no armor underneath-

Weiss: *turning to Ruby* Stop telling me what to do!

Calista: *sheepishly as she lowers herself under the table* She's.... Just being you're advisor...

Ruby: Yeah! I'm just trying to help!

Weiss: Will you both shut up!

**Ruby looks hurt at Weiss' rebuttal, while Calista's trying to hide her pain by hiding under the desk. Meanwhile, the Boarbatusk leaps into the air and rolls into a ball, spinning rapidly in the air and landing on the ground, consistently gaining speed until it launches itself at Weiss. It comes closer and closer, but Weiss activates one of her blue-white circles and blocks the roll, leaping up into the now-black snowflake symbol and turning it blue again so she can drive the blade into the Boarbatusk's stomach. It squeals and falls silent while Weiss gasps in relief.**

Port: Bravo! Bra-vo! It appears we are indeed in the presence of a true Huntress-in-training! *as Weiss stands up at attention from her exhausted position and Ruby continues to frown* I'm afraid that's all the time we have for today. Be sure to cover the assigned readings, and... stay vigilant! Class dismissed!

**Weiss glares and turns away, walking hurriedly to the exit past her teammates.**

Jaune Arc: *watching her leave* Sheesh, what's with her?

Red: *cracking his knuckles* I can list you five things that will be wrong with her.

**he's glances to the other members of JNPR, the only one seemingly interested bing Nora as she nods frantically**

Nora: What are they!? I wanna know!

Red: *sighing* Nevermind...... you might see it later.

**The remaining members of Team RWBY look at each other with the same questions.**

**Weiss is still storming off, but Ruby turns a corner and manages to catch up with her. Calista having cloaked and gotten out from under the table, quiet and standing not too far from the two and just short of another panic attack.**

Ruby: Weiss!

Weiss: *turning around* What?

Ruby: What's wrong with you? Why are you being-?

Weiss: What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you? You're supposed to be a leader, and all you've been so far is a nuisance!

Ruby: *scoffs* What did I do?

Weiss: That's just it - you've done nothing to earn your position! Back in the forest, you acted like a child, and you've only continued to do so!

Ruby: Weiss, where is this coming from? What happened to all the talk about 'working together'? I thought you believed in acting as a team.

Weiss: Not a team led by you. I've studied and trained. And quite frankly, I deserve better. *turns her back to Ruby, trying to reach out but dropping her hand with the following words* Ozpin made a mistake. *walks away as Ruby looks dejected*

Calista: *thinking to herself as she shivers a little* No one deserves anything... we take what we're given... and we take advantage of it as much as we can.

Ozpin: *standing right behind a surprised Ruby with a coffee in one hand and his cane in the other* Hmm... Now that didn't seem to go very well.

Calista: *jumping in surprise and fear as she decloaks, causing Ruby's eyes to go wide and for Ozpin to stay calm* Howdid-

Ruby: *sighing* Is.... is that going to be... a habit... Twinzy?

Calista: *looking down as she nods* Y- yeah.... I... I use it... when I get... nervous.

Ruby: *looking doubtful, even on the verge of tears as she looks to Ozpin* Is she right? Did you make a mistake?

Ozpin: *laughing slightly* That remains to be seen.

Calista: *taking a deep breath* Ruby..... No true leader's born in a day..... It takes time.

Ruby: What do you mean?

Ozpin: I mean, that Ms. Roscoe is right, it's only been one day. Ruby... I've made more mistakes than any man, woman, and child on this planet. But at this moment, I would not consider your appointment to leader to be one of them. *leans in so he can look more directly at Ruby* Do you?

Ruby: *confused as she looks at the two of them* What do you mean?

Calista: Well..... You know how I call Red, Casing, and Classic my brothers?

Ruby: Y- yeah?

Calista: Well.... We're not biologically... it was a bond that was because of what happened to me... and also having had a close relationship in and out of combat.... We became like friends... and even siblings... and Dad... he's more like a father figure... not my real father.... And he hasn't adopted him... and he has the respect of everyone in the Corps.... And he cares for us.... And also being prepared to lead them at a moment's notice.

Ozpin: And being a team leader isn't just a title you carry into battle, but a badge you wear constantly. If you're not always performing at your absolute best, then what reason do you give others to follow you?

**Ruby looks thoughtful with Ozpin's words, then smiles at him.**

Ozpin: *turning back on Ruby, still talking to her* You've been burdened with a daunting responsibility, Ruby. I advise you take some time, to think about how you will uphold it.

**Ruby, with a last look of consideration, turns and walks away. She comes to the balcony where Port is walking away from Weiss and smiles a little at her partner.**

Ruby: *smiling as she gives Calista a hug* Thanks, Twinzy!

Calista: *smiling as she hugs back* You're welcome, Twinzy....

Ruby: *grabbing Calista by the arm and running off* Come on! We have work to do!

Calista: *as she's dragged away* O- okay, Twinzy!

(a few minutes ago with Casing and Porkbelly) ['Casing' POV]

**Weiss is still walking around the halls until she comes across a balcony where Professor Port is watching the sunset over Beacon Academy's rooftops. Casing asking to him about if he'll be able to to the next demonstration.**

Casing: Understood, Sir, I look forward to-

Weiss: *approaching them* Professor Port!

Port: *turning to look at her, motioning for Casing to wait* Ah, Miss Schnee! And to what do I owe this fine pleasure?

Weiss: I... I enjoyed your lecture!

Port: Of course you did, child; you have the blood of a true Huntress in you.

Casing: Let's just hope you keep that blood when the Assassins get hungry.

Weiss: *smiling at Port, ignoring Casing* You really think so?

Port: Most surely! *notices Weiss' small frown and lack of eye contact* Hmm... Something's troubling you.

Weiss: Yes, sir...

Casing: *arms crossed as he stands there, unimpressed* This'll be good.

Port: Dear girl, confess to me your strife!

Weiss: Well... I-I think I should have been the leader of Team RWBY!

Port: *silent for a moment until he speaks* That's preposterous!

Casing: Is that a joke?

Weiss: *now getting angry* Excuse me?!

Port: I've believed in Professor Ozpin for many years, and the man's never once led me astray!

Casing: *looking at Port* Fanatical to the end, huh?

Weiss: So you would just blindly accept his decision even after seeing how exceptional I am?

Casing: *looking to Weiss, calm, but holding in the building frustration with his own team* A leader doesn't demand anything of anyone, they take what they can get, or are given, and they make the most of it. That's why a small infiltration team can get more done in a day, than a whole army could in a full year of combat.

Port: And to add to that... with all due respect, your exceptional skill on the battlefield is matched only by your poor attitude.

Weiss: *seething now* How dare you!

Port: My point exactly. I see a girl before me who has spent her entire life getting exactly what she wanted.

Casing: And I see a kid who's never experienced a day of combat... You say you've trained your whole life, yet you were prevented from a simple victory against a single target because of two teammates trying to be helpful.

Weiss: *crossing her arms, looking defiant* That's not even remotely true! *under the teacher's gaze, she reluctantly relents:* Well... not entirely true.

Casing: *unsatisfied* What happens when you're on a battlefield? Where your team's screaming in pain because they're being killed, or when they've lost an arm to a Commando? Where you're surrounded by all sorts of noises.. Screams of pain... the marching of feet... the barking of orders.... The visibility clouded by smoke, lazer fire, blood? Where you don't get to take several hours to make a strategy, you need to know how your team fights, you need to be able to either take your team's advice in a split second and react based on it, allowing you to have an additional angle... or tune everything out.... And risk someone taking advantage of that and take you down from behind. Those animals you all fight? They're designed to overwhelm you, and so you train to fight against each of them a different way.... They'll adapt to you, and they'll grow stronger with every surviving generation.

Port: Going back to what you said earlier, Ms. Schnee. So the outcome did not fall in your favor. Do you really believe that acting in such a manner would cause those in power to reconsider their decision? *as Weiss finally calms down and looks at them again* So instead of fretting about what you don't have, savor what you do. Hone your skills, perfect every technique, and be not the best leader, but the best person you can be.

**Weiss smiles a little at the words of wisdom.**

Casing: *looking to Port* Wow..... that was a pretty watered down answer on your end.

(That night, in Team RWBY's room) [Calista POV]

**the door opens and Weiss' shadow is seen against the hall's light. Calista: seemingly asleep on against the wall, a few school books in hand as it looks like she fell asleep reading it. Blake is sleeping under the covers, Yang is spread out on her bed and snoring, and when Weiss lifts the blanket of Ruby's tent, she finds the occupant with her head resting on notes, a pencil in her hand, and open books all around her. Weiss, looking amazed at Ruby's determination, clears her throat and gently shakes the other girl awake, who takes a second to regain consciousness and start flailing in surprise.'**

Calista: *frozen in fear as she doesn't move, listening in on what Weiss while having her visor recording. Having been using it to study*

Ruby: Weiss! I-I was studying, and then I fell asleep! I'm sorry...

**Weiss places a hand over Ruby's mouth and puts a finger to her own so Ruby understands the need for lowering her voice. Weiss looks near Ruby's pillow and spots an empty Beacon coffee mug.**

Weiss: *lowering her hand* How do you take your coffee?

Ruby: "I... I don't..."

Weiss: *getting irritated* Answer the question!

Ruby: Uhh, cream and five sugars!

Weiss: *sighs* Don't move. *she ducks under to her own bed and comes up a moment later with a fresh cup, offering it to Ruby* Here.

Ruby: Um... Thanks, Weiss.

Calista: *still not moving* I wouldn't drink that... I have no clue if she used it already.

Weiss: *smiles, then looks apologetic* Ruby, I think you have what it takes to be a good leader. *Ruby smiles appreciatively* Just know that I am going to be the best teammate you'll ever have! *they share a smile* Good luck studying! *ducks under, only to come up and point at one of Ruby's papers* That's wrong, by the way. *ducks under again, and her voice comes from the doorway this time* Hey, Ruby?

Ruby: Uh-huh?

Weiss: *stands in the door with her hand on the knob* I always wanted bunk beds as a kid. *she starts to close the door*

**Ruby, grinning at the progress with her friend, goes back to her notes as before looking to Calista**

Ruby: You still awake, Twinzy?

Calista: *loosening up a bit* Y- yeah.... I'm still awake.... *going back to her reading* Do.... you think I could look into Crescent Rose later?

Ruby: *staring at her*

Calista: I just wanna look... okay?

Ruby: *smiling* Okay! *before going back to studying*

Calista: *smiling under her balaclava* I'm soo remaking that in Beskar later.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

118K 1.9K 39
The Grand Clone Army, Jaune, his friends and everyone else from Beacon and other places were teleported to a theatre where they are to watch their fu...
13 0 6
202X Another Undertale AU fiction, christ. This time, Frisk, along with Chara and the squad, gets sent to a distant planet, where they received a dis...
9.2K 173 20
Remnants are what remains of something whole. That was the case of ARC Trooper Fives. A world that he knew would be shattered. When everything turns...
15.3K 296 24
<Book 3> It has been approximately two years since the incident with Khan. Penny and the crew has seen the vastness of space; the cold, empty...