Shades of Silver and Black

By 888AthenaBlack888

What would happen if there was a slight change in the family tapestry of The Most Ancient and Noble House of... More

epigraph & disclaimer
SHADES OF SILVER AND BLACK
Chapter 1 | hisses and misses
Chapter 2 | the start of the peacock problem
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
EXTRA 1
SHADES OF SILVER WITH BLACK
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
EXTRA 2
SHADES OF SILVER IN BLACK
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
EXTRA 3
SHADES OF SILVER BETWEEN BLACK
Chapter 70 | alone but together
Chapter 71 | capturing fleeting moments
Chapter 72 | same sun, varying views
Chapter 74 | the trouble with high tea
Chapter 75 | cold weather, colder behaviours
Chapter 76 | her highness and his hairgelliness
Chapter 77 | to be or not to be a wildflower
Chapter 78 | healing a body doesn't heal a mind
Chapter 79 | the origins of ruthless reunions
Chapter 80 | casually cruel in the name of being honest
Chapter 81 | time, mystical time
Chapter 82 | tis the damn season
Chapter 83 | season's greeting, hope you're well
Chapter 84 | bury hatchets but keep maps of their location
Chapter 85 | cawing of murderous crows
Chapter 86 | drawing stars around scars
Chapter 87 | pick my battles 'til the battle picked me
Chapter 88 | meet me in the afterglow
Chapter 89 | champagne problems
Chapter 90 | eyes full of stars
EXTRA 4
SHADES OF SILVER AFTER BLACK
Chapter 91 | faster than the wind, passionate as sin, ending so suddenly
Chapter 92 | I got a list of names, and yours is in red, underlined

Chapter 73 | heavy is the head

4.1K 172 31
By 888AthenaBlack888

----------------------> REGULUS' STEPS WERE PRONOUNCED YET HASTE, his eyes swirling with a striking resemblance to the storm that was taking place outside. The greys and darkness in his eyes reflected the turbulent tides of the sea when the tempest would swallow ships and men whole without remorse. There was also fury etched on his face and so, he was given a wide berth of space by everybody, especially those who had witnessed the same thunderous expression that had laid on his sister's face, knew to behave more cautiously whenever they spotted such rage on the face of a Black.

Regulus made a bee-line for Narcissa's room. Without bothering to knock, he simply swung the door open, abruptly announcing his presence. However, Narcissa had also studied in the same school as Lyra for five years and so, wasn't particularly surprised or startled by his intrusion.

Rather, she merely smiled while signalling with a slight inclination of her head for Leonard, who had been conversing with her, to leave. Leonard complied with her wordless command, slipping out of the room silently, understanding the need for privacy and that it was most likely a family matter while shutting the door behind him.

Narcissa's face was calm when she addressed him. "Hello, Regulus."

"This is the third time I've had to duel someone to keep my crown!" Regulus exploded immediately, not having the patience to say niceties. He briskly strolled over to where Narcissa was seated and settled down beside her, swivelling to face her. "Third time, Cissa. Third. And that is only this month. Combining how I had to duel six students in September and four in October, that would mean I've had to duel thirteen Slytherins till now and it's only November!"

"At least the numbers are decreasing." Narcissa offered placidly, ushering a glare from Regulus. That was when she took the opportunity to observe her cousin. Really observe what he was feeling in his depths rather than believe the image he projected on the surface.

With her brows bunched up, Narcissa pulled out her wand and before Regulus could come up with protests, waved it over his face, instantly causing all the very many and very heavy glamours that he had applied to fall, making Narcissa softly gasp.

He looked bloody exhausted.

Violent, violet bags were hung under his eyes while his hair was matted, tangled and unwashed. There were bruises of purple and blue littering his skin and his lips were shunned downwards. He seemed too tired to even smile.

Concern and worry instantly washed over Narcissa as she gently placed a palm on his cheek, taking care to not sting a deep, open cut that had marred his cheekbones. Regulus hissed at the contact.

"What happened to you?" Narcissa whispered.

Regulus' lips, which were split and bleeding, wavered into a weak, forced smile. "Third time, Cissa. Third time this month." He repeated.

Narcissa pursed her lips into a hard line. Mutely, she gripped her wand tightly and began to mutter healing spells, the ones that she had heard Lyra use so many times to heal simple wounds that they would receive. Narcissa sadly did not know how to heal his broken nose, his shoulder dislocation or any of the other, more serious injuries. It was times like this she wished that Lyra had never left.

Narcissa understood the reason why Regulus had applied those glamours. Injuries were seen as a weakness, something the king of Slytherin could not afford to have. The rulers of Slytherin were supposed to project an image of perfection onto others, represent all the ideals and mottos that the house was based upon and act as a pillar of strength for the snakes. Should Regulus and Narcissa show even a semblance of fragility, they would be immediately challenged for the crown, after which they would have to defend their throne and prove that they were still powerful.

Regulus winced under the cooling effects of the plethora of spells that Narcissa had cast. He physically looked better than earlier. However, he maintained the impression of a poor, dirty muggle who had been on the receiving end of her family's wands. Regulus, at that moment, seemed nothing like the pureblood prince he had been raised as.

"Thank you," Regulus said softly, eyes closed and breathing laboured. Narcissa simply nodded her head, not trusting her words to be coherent after having seen her little brother in such a horrid state. There was a heartbeat of silence between them before Regulus spoke, reopening his eyes. "Did Lyra have to deal with this? All this duelling? I mean, she and Lucius were eleven and were given authority to command seventh years and even actual adults. Did she have to constantly duel them all the time to assert her power?"

"I don't think so," Narcissa replied gently. "Yes, she did have to duel a couple of fools but it wasn't as often as you and I have to. I think she duelled the same number of people you did in these three months during her whole term. Lucius had to duel even lesser than that."

"Oh," Regulus stated because how else could he respond to such news? He sighed.

Regulus had had an irking that this much challenging to his crown wasn't natural, and Narcissa's words confirmed his suspicion. And unfortunately, Regulus had even theorised a reason to answer why this abrupt increase in mutinies was occurring during his and Narcissa's term as well.

The members of the House of Slytherin no longer believed in the House of Black to lead them.

In their defence, the House of Black had adopted a mudblood and allowed a blood traitor to remain. Two, if Sirius could be counted. Regulus had gotten accustomed to hearing about how his family, previously proud practitioners of toujours pur, should be unable to use that motto any longer. The abuse hurled against his family over that issue had only gotten worse when news of Andromeda being pregnant with a half-blood child reached the ears of the public.

The House of Black which had always followed the ideals and stood behind the opinions of the dark tier had recently begun supporting neutral-inclined bills and views; something that didn't sit well with the Lords of the dark families. Now, they were being dubbed as 'blood-traitors' in hushed whispers as the gossip being circulated lately consisted of the beginning of the downfall of the Most Ancient and, according to the public, once Noble House of Black.

Invites to galas lessened while rumours were surrounding them, ones that the House of Black hadn't originally started. Sure people still feared them but now, they mocked them as well.

There was also a subtle shift in the tides of power recently. It was seen in the way more and more students began to wear long sleeves to cover up the dark ink that had been branded onto their forearms. It was seen in the way people spoke of a saviour who would eliminate the muggle taint from their pure world. It was seen in the way students considered the authority of the Court binding no longer. How they cared no more and flocked towards the ones who held more power like moths to light. And now, the Dark Lord was apparently more powerful, influential and reliable than a system that had worked for thousands of years.

It hadn't just been him who was repeatedly challenged. Narcissa, the Silver Queen, herself had had to participate in seven duels till date and something told Regulus that despite what she had said earlier, the number of duels they would have to fight in to keep their crown would only increase henceforth, as the parasite that was the upcoming Dark Lord --at least, in the words of his grandfather Arcturus-- would only grow.

"At the rate that we are being challenged, we might not even have subjects to rule over." Regulus voiced and although Narcissa didn't comment, they both knew she agreed.

The Court customs clearly stated that should a challenger lose a duel, they along with all those who supported them would be barred from everything that the Slytherin Court would have to offer. They would have been socially boycotted and their futures, tarnished forever without the influence of the Slytherin Court behind them.

Previously in the past, it was considered very dishonourable and a great insult to have been kicked out by the Court and those persons would have been highly ridiculed, would find no opportunities and their dreams would have been shattered; as seen in the cases of Otis and Darla Selwyn, both of whom were unemployed and surrounded by misery.

Now, however, people behaved in a manner that suggested they were apathetic and oblivious to all the traditions and customs that were practised. Whenever a person lost in the duel against either Regulus or Narcissa, many of the snakes stood by them and subsequently, forgoed the Court system. While the rulers were pleased with the show of unity, they were horrified that the support was for all the wrong reasons, that the support was against the Royal Slytherin Court. As each duel to claim the crowns took place, the number of students that the Court governed noticeably shrunk.

Regulus had lost sleep in futile hopes of being enlightened with ideas of what he should do about this. He had consulted his grandparents, parents and Uncle Alphard, who had been a King himself; only to receive no real advice. These sort of incidents had never occurred during any of their times and so they, like him, were at a loss of what to do.

And while Regulus dearly wished to ask Lyra her opinion on this, he felt that move would be incredibly selfish of him. It was not a secret among the members of their family that Lyra did not like the Dark Lord and one of the reasons she had decided to accompany Lucius on his Heir travels was to get away from the Dark Lord's influence. Regulus had read her letters and she seemed to be happy. It was rare that his sister was allowed to be happy so Regulus did not want to wash away Lyra's happiness with his burdens.

Narcissa's musical voice brought him out of his thoughts. "I know what you are thinking about and I agree. I'm worried about that as well but honestly, I'm more worried about you. Let's get you healed up first."

"I'm not going to the infirmary." Regulus started immediately.

"I know," Narcissa responded, rising to her feet and walking towards the bookshelf in her room. "Lyra used to read in my room often and constantly forgot to take her healing books. I have some of them here. Let's see what we can do about your wounds."

Regulus was silent. Finally, he called. "Cissa?"

Narissa made a humming sound in acknowledgement as she searched for Lyra's healing books in a sea of romance novels.

"Don't tell Lyra."

Narcissa paused in her movements but did not turn or comment.

Meanwhile, Regulus resumed speaking. "I don't want Lyra to know about anything- what is happening with the Court and what is happening to me. Don't tell her."

"I won't," Narcissa promised, back turned towards him. "I was about to ask you the same, actually."

Lyra had handed Narcissa the keys to her kingdom with trust that she would be able to handle the pressure and carry on the legacy. Lyra had trained Narcissa on nearly everything, from debates to the art of passing laws. So, how would Lyra react if she saw Narcissa now- with her rule heading for ruins, with revolts frequently rising and members depleting not three months since she formally became queen?

Narcissa blinked away the intrusive thoughts as she successfully spotted a healing book and a short bark of laughter made her turn to face Regulus, who chortled despite the tremendous pain that coursed through him as he remarked, "Glad we are in agreement."

Narcissa smiled sadly. "As am I."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.9K 312 37
*** A girl with a scarred brain who wanted nothing more than her brothers to be safe. A boy with scarred skin who wanted nothing more than the girl t...
376K 12.8K 87
~Where dwell the brave at heart, their daring, nerve and chivalry sets a Gryffindor apart~ What if there was another prophecy made? It talked about...
359K 13.8K 172
Aimee Burke had been raised to be independent and strong-willed, all for her future success. A distant father and an overbearing mother, makes her da...
2.3K 365 75
What would happen if the second wizarding war never happened? If Voldemort never returned? If Harry grew up with his parents and his god father? Wha...