The Consort Of House Marasarah

By sheldrian26

Isalinah never wanted to be someone important. She never wanted to spotlight or the weight of responsibility... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26

17

441 48 6
By sheldrian26

Issy stood completely still, braced for impact and yet the words out of her mother's mouth were shocking to the core.

"Your Doeshar is coming here to meet with your father. I wonder if he has arrived as yet, what do you think Isalinah?"

"I think that you should refrain from referring to the Doeshar as mine, mother." Issy responded as cool as she could manage. This was why her mother let her feel as though she had won their previous little fight, she had an ace up her sleeve the entire time.

"Your father is determined to find out what your male is up to. Tell me daughter did he reveal anything of note during your time together?" A'Shanna continued, completely ignoring Issy's last comment, "I am sure you father would consider any insight you may provide... " she trailed off.

Issy was literally trapped between a hard place; the wall and her mother. The female was many things, but she had always been a good and engaged parent, she knew Issy like the back of her left hand and while her father was Doeshar of their House, her mother owned the hearts and adoration of every person working within her household. The female knew far more then she was letting on.

"While I am sure the Doeshar would enjoy the view, it would be best if you changed into something a bit more... tasteful before we join their table." She stated while gesturing at Issy's dress.

"WHAT!" Issy responded as all sense of calm had abandoned her. She had expected to have another full day to prepare herself to interact with the Doeshar again. While spending time with Massillon was becoming a welcomed activity in Issy's head, she was not yet prepared to do so under the watchful eyes of her family. She had been set up, Issy realised.

"I don't think it would be appropriate for us to interrupt their meeting, mother," Issy began again, " I am sure father has the Doeshar well in hand."

The absolutely dubious look on A'Shanna's face was enough to let Issy know that her mother wasn't buying any of the bullshit she was attempting to sell.

"Gods above, where did I go wrong with this one?" A'Shanna exclaimed quite dramatically.

"Isalinah, my child, you must understand that a Doeshar is a busy male with much to do and many who would wish to gain access to his time and attention. If you are to win the male you must make your presence known and obvious. This is not the time for subtlety!" She lectured on.

"I will also have you know that I have it on good authority that your male is leaving the continent on the night after our little get-to-gather. You have done well to peck his interest but if you are to keep it and even secure a formal invitation to Milan then you must do more that wait on the male to seek you out."

Little get-to-gather, Issy thought was a snort.

"You do recall mother that this is not the first time I have courted a male, correct?" Issy responded, a bit embarrassed by her mother's attempts to interfere.

"And you cannot forget that father intends this courtship as a truth seeking exercise," Issy parroted which her mother waved off.

"Oh I am aware of your track record with the opposite sex, my child, and to be frank; you are not every good at the discipline," A'Shanna stated, " and your father barely trusts his own shadow as you well know. I am sure that when that little meeting below stairs is over and your father is sufficiently satisfied of the Doeshar's intentions, he will support this courtship in earnest and you must be ready for what that will mean."

The barb cut deeper than Issy had expected. She herself knew she did not have the best dating history and would never be considered the fem fatal her mother had been, but the barb stung all the same. This must have been obvious as A'Shanna continued in a softer tone and an affectionate palm to her fallen cheek.

"Oh sweetling, you must not take that as an insult for it is accepted by all that courting and flirtations are simply not apart of your nature. However, fortune has always favoured the brave and so if you wish to secure the Doeshar's affections then you must be brave, braver than you have ever been." A'Shanna stated before heading for the door leaving Issy to decide for herself her next course of action.

Issy was thrown deep in thought and almost missed the fact that her mother had paused at the door and was observing her closely until she spoke again.

"You do want the Doeshar for your own, don't you Isalinah?"

Half way through their meal and Massillon had come to this realisation that Arion had decided to hate him. His entire demeanor and thinly veiled comments had not gone unnoticed as the elder Doeshar had expertly set his glass back down on the table just hard enough to get the male's attention before speaking.

"You may take you leave, Arion," Raphael had stated and managed to do so in such an even emotionless tone that Massillon would have believed him not even a little upset if he had not witnessed the storm brewing in those deep blue eyes.

"But father..." he was immediately cut off.

"Go, now!" Raphael stated his voice dropping to icy levels.

The male for his part rose from his seat and turned to Massillon and fell into a bow identical to the one he had given the male at the start of the evening before taking his leave without another word. It was a good thing that the male had managed to retain some sense, Massillon thought, not all together trusting himself.

Raphael retrieved his napkin from across his lap and wiped at invisible crumbs at the corners of his mouth before dropping the white piece of satin material on top his half finished plate of food. His appetite clearly ruined by his heir's rude display.

" hhhmmm," he sighed deeply, "Massillon, it would appear I have found myself in a particularly awkward position. I must apologise for Arion's rudeness, there is no excuse."

Massillon obliged the male and inclined his head in a deferential manner indicating he had no intention of taking the matter any farther. Arion was Raphael's to discipline for now. Plus Massillon could see that while the elder Doeshar did not appreciate the manner in which his son had gone about the situation, the male did not believe his son's disdain for Massillon was entirely unwarranted.

Massillon haste is seeking a Contract to Court so soon after apparently meeting Isalinah had also raised questions for Raphael. The female was going to put Massillon in a fair bit of hot water. The lust she had ignited in Massillon was a scorching one that continued to grow despite everything Massillon had tried. He needed to find some way to bring the blaze under control before it did any real damage.

Both males sat once more in silence as three attendants emerged to clear the table. It was clear that while their meal had been cut short, this was hardly the end, but a prologue to the discussion to come.

"I shall be honest and forthcoming with you Massillon as this is not a subject I wish there to be any games or contradictions between us," Raphael began, "Isalinah is my daughter, my second child... she was not brought forth out of a sense of duty to my house and title but out of love and so you must understand that her safety and happiness is a topic that I take to heart, cold and dormant as the organ may be."

"I tell you all this so that you will understand that she is not a pong in this life of political scheming we are so accustomed to. In fact you should know that I have taken great steps to protect her innocence and ..." the male paused and took a sip from his glass, "I am prepared to take whatever steps necessary to avenge its destruction. I am trusting you to be good to my daughter." The male was unhappy with the mere idea of his daughter's unhappiness or worst, Massillon assessed by the drop in tenor of his voice.

Massillon forced himself to pause, the oath the male was seeking was not a simple one, Isalinah would never know cruelty or violence by his hand or tongue and his could easily bind himself to an oath to that degree. However, what the elder Doeshar was requiring of him was far reaching. It was not Massillon intention to mate the female, this courtship began as a quest to pry his sanity free from thoughts of the females that he could find the perfect Consort for this House. When he finally tired of her it was impossible for him to guarantee that she would never to emotionally hurt by the end.

And so Massillon paused in contemplation of the weight that Raphael sought to place upon his head. His eyes never faltering for to do so would be to admit malice.

"The Lady Isalinah will never know cruelty or violence by my hand or word," Massillon finally said aloud but went to farther. The elder Doeshar merely continued to stare him down hard not responding immediately to the clearly defined statement Massillon had chosen to make.

"You will make a decent Doeshar yet, Massillon," Raphael spoke again was a touch of mirth to his tone.

"Many have sat where you are sitting and promised too much..." he continued, "all that I truly expect is that you are honourable and if she doesn't not meet the requirements of a Consort in your eyes that you terminate the Contract immediately," the male added. It was clear that he would not tolerate the later as that mirth never quite tea had his cold blue eyes.

On his ride back into the city, Massillon could still hear the blood pumping in his ears, Raphael was deserving of a far greater reputation than he alreasy possessed for he had cornered Massillon so easily that the male felt stupid and... young and then gallantly offered him a way out of the trap. There was no doubt that the male meant those things he said about protecting and potentially avenging his daughter but he has said them so precisely that Massillon felt well he felt stupid and young. Had he rushed at the opportunity presented to bind himself there was no doubt Raphael would have believed that Massillon had ulterior motives but he also would have found a way to end the courtship. The male was good; very good.
Are you sure that you are alright...my Liege?" Markus questioned again as he stood behind Massillon in the private elevator. This time Massillon was not deep in thought but instead he was rattled.

"Of course, cousin."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.9K 188 12
Felicia I've had a crush on my best friend's dad for as long as I can remember; saving myself for him. But now, faced with a desperate situation, I n...
68 3 20
Samriah is a strong stoic solider working in a secret branch of the military and hiding a secret of her own. When the paranormal world clashes with h...
4.1K 173 7
He loved her from a far, he disired her, craved her but he let her go and waited for the right time to cage her in his dark world. Like a predator. T...
77.5K 4.8K 33
Sirrah Keyarra Torielle Winters is adopted by a wealthy family at the tender age of five. It is a dream come true until her peers begin ridiculing he...