Dusk & Dawn

By xMah_Bx

{completed} He gave his word with the sunrise, but as night unfolded, she slipped away into the dusk's embrac... More

CAST/MOODBOARDS
1- escapade
2- another twenty-one days
3- didn't mean to
4- because why not
5- friday blessings
6- banters
7- back to disneyland
8- lord, in the ring
10- shadows of the arena
11- weeknd
12- no, not Gianna
13- time freeze
14- memories bring back
15- break from reality
16- chloe klutz
17- beneath the scars
18- midland county hospital
19- back to the past
20- hello, memories
21- saturday night
22- unspoken thoughts
23- mind-diving
24- skydiving
25- dabbed syringes
26- an ocean of uncertainty
27- bed bound
28- dusk, dark of the dawn
29- night tides into the unkown
30- last of the ring
A/N|| Other books

9- hotline bling

64 21 2
By xMah_Bx

Another day; another life

I headed out of the room to find Cleo and Harper getting ready for classes. Naomi as usual, already left for her morning practical sessions. Lane wagged its tail as it sauntered towards me. I picked him up and walked to the kitchen, acknowledging both of my friends along the way.

I made another quick bread sandwich before heading back to the living room.

"I know you would say no but I still want to try," Harper pulled out of the chair and walked towards me and intercepted me midway.

"What?" I asked, stroking Lane with one hand and eating with the other.

"There's a party--"

"No."

"We're all going, even-"

"Harper."

"Even Naomi agreed to go, you need-"

"Harper."

"There's free alcohol, caviar and-"

"Harper, NO."

"You need a breath of fresh air. What's with you and being against these small parties anyways? We're all going to be there."

"I have to go to class," I declared, putting Lane down in his space and dusting my hands. Harper only looked at me as she shook her head while Cleo just smiled to herself knowingly.

"Wait, we have the same first." Cleo called out to me as I strapped my tote bag to my shoulder.

This morning, I had the choice to pick between going to see the school counselor who had been spamming my mail with meeting notice and a fundamental biology class.

As I stared at the lecturer giving out the important things to note from the slide he displayed through the projector, I had a thousand and one thoughts freely wandering through my chaotic mind.

Why was he in a place like that?

Did he possibly hope to make money?

Last time I checked, Ezra lived in a house three times bigger than my humble home and he drove around in a car worth a lot of cash.

"You aren't paying any attention," Cleo snapped as she took the pen I had been using to scribble down nothing in my note.

"Well, biology is a disaster," I remarked, only watching her try to keep up with the pace of the lecture.

"Why are you even here then?" She shrugged, turning away from me.

I had to act like I still cared about these little mundane things.

Cleo dropped at the next stop to turn in her project thesis while I made my way for the dormitory. My legs wobbled underneath me as I drove my car and even as I walked into the apartment, I still felt that fatigue hanging in there.

As I stood in front of the mirror, I bent down to wash my face only to feel my stomach muscles contract. I ended up coughing out what seemed like blood only of a darker color than usual.

What a time to be alive.

I crawled into my bed, my bones acting up all of a sudden. My vow doesn't seem to make sense to me anymore as I broke into a pang of sweat and a silent cry. My phone chimed and I picked it up wondering who it could be.

• I simply cannot wait for you to come back to Midland,
Mom's undivided attention on me is suffocating.

I wiped off the tears which blurred my eyesight to be able to type in a reply to Gianna's text.

why? You've been failing your classes?

• no, I've been going to the hospital for several examinations since she found out about my legs. Come back already

• I'll see if I can make it by the weekend. Keep me posted.

• okay bye, love you. I have to go.

I totally understood what Gianna meant by suffocating. Mom didn't know she was doing it, I was used to it already. If that was her way of showing that she absolutely cared about us, I didn't mind it. But on Gianna who's absolutely fine, I wondered if it had just become her coping mechanism. If it became the way she was still holding on to life.

With those thoughts, I fell into a gradual deep slumber.

By the time I woke up, it was time for my shift so I got ready and hastily drove to Wings Haven.

I sat on my chair and rolled on it as I could only stare at the window. The diner was almost empty, it was an awfully slow day. And since I was waiting for a particular person to walk into the door, my eyes were glued to that spot.

I couldn't contain my excitement when Ezra walked into that door, keeping his duffel bag strapped to his shoulder. His wet hair made me rethink whether he truly was at the tennis court most evenings or he spent his evenings at the Underground bash.

He immediately walked over to my counter and took a stool to sit right in front of me. I couldn't help not notice the small random cuts on his face. I wasn't sure if he wanted me to know so I stopped myself from asking.

"Are you okay? I've been worried sick about you?" He asked me and something about that brought warmth to my heart.

"Really?"

"I thought you joined a secret society and didn't need me anymore," he asked, keeping his gaze on me as he tried to remove his bag over his head.

"I only joined for free food but they couldn't compete with your company," I tilted my head to study him. He laughed at my response and set his bag on the other chair.

"Next time you need backup, don't hesitate to ring my hero hotline?" He asked as he opened his phone and placed the dial pad in front of me. I grabbed it with all happiness as I typed in my number and saved it with my full name.

"Are you okay though, Raine Parker?" He asked me again, smiling at his phone. I nodded 'of course' and asked what he'd like to order.

My phone chimed as I placed Ezra's coffee in his front, I picked it out of my pocket and opened the message.

06, Mayfair street.
Address in case you change your mind, we're leaving.

I shook my head at Harper's insistence and turned to look at Ezra. I glanced at the clock before I went towards him and sat down in my own chair.

"Do you want to go to a party with me?" I blurted the question out, regretting it immediately I asked.

"I never imagined you'd be into that kind of setting," he answered me.

"I cannot resist free champagne," I shrugged with another smile.

"I would move mountains if you asked me to, so why not? Let's go," he smiled at me and I only nodded in response, squirming internally at his response.

Safe to say that I was beyond drunk before Ezra made it back from talking to his friends. The room started to feel hot so I pulled off my jacket sluggishly leaving my sleeveless tank top on. Harper was still surprised to see me sitting in the chair across her. She would drunkenly stagger towards me to be sure that I was really there every passing minute.

When I watched the others start a game on the round table, it bought an instant feeling of deja vu for me. I wasn't sure if I wanted to still be here, if I could be. I stood up to go find Ezra who was at the other end of the room talking to a group of his friends.

My brows furrowed in confusion when one of the guys pushed Ezra in the chest. From the way they threw their hands in frustration, it started to look like an argument.

Coming to this party was on impulse like every other decisions I've made in my life. But I regretted it with every thing in my being when one of those guys punched Ezra in his chest.

I tugged on Ezra's arms as soon as I got there, feeling the panic rise from the pit of my stomach. "I need to get out." I told him.

"Why? Did something happen?" He turned away from his friends to face me, the pleading look on my face must have convinced him as he nodded "Okay" and walked with me.

"Yeah scram, you coward." I felt Ezra's muscles tense up with that remark; his balled up fist ready to punch anyone who came in his way.

Naomi and Cleo helped stable Harper as we stepped out of the party. We arrived at the dormitory in no time and Ezra helped me out his car and held me as we walked towards the door.

I dumped my jacket on the couch as I crashed in it, my entire body dropping.

"I know, that you think, that we cannot see any of what's happening Raine." Harper slurred her words as if she read it from a book. "I can tell that you're sick."

Without opening my eyes or thinking for that matter, I dragged my response to her. "You're mistaken Harper."

"But that portacath on your arm, it is for chemo right?" She asked again.

"Yeah, it is my bling for the season, Harper." I blurted out carelessly.

"I knew it." She responded, crashing on the floor next to the couch where I slept.

Nov 11th

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 30.3K 32
(Unedited) Rejection hurts. It can break many people apart. Slowly crushing their souls and silencing their wolfs forever. Unfortunately, that happe...
366K 5.2K 27
cliche rejection story read at your own risk
3.3K 85 32
Sometimes life don't go the way we planned. Sometimes we end up feeling so low, and alone. Like we're in a dark hole with no one around us, but then...
1.2K 166 30
"And as I hold my crying, broken girl in my arms at the doctors office, I realize the true meaning of unconditional love. There isn't anything that...