An unavoidable fate | Azur La...

By Pongppx

It was only the beginning of your career in the Royal Navy, however it was unfortunately ending faster than a... More

Introduction
Prologue
Chapter 1 - New Realities Pt. 1/2
Chapter 2 - New Realities Pt. 2/2
Chapter 3 - The Few Pt. 1/4
Chapter 4 - The Few Pt. 2/4
Chapter 5 - The Few Pt. 3/4
Chapter 6 - The Few Pt. 4/4
Questions
Chapter 7 - The Music of Fortune Pt. 1/3
Chapter 8 - The Music of Fortune Pt. 2/3
Chapter 9 - The Music of Fortune Pt. 3/3
Chapter 10 - Secrets Pt. 1/4
Chapter 11 - Secrets Pt. 2/4
Chapter 12 - Secrets Pt. 3/4
Chapter 13 - Secrets Pt. 4/4
Chapter 14 - Homeward from Gibraltar Pt. 1/4
Chapter 15 - Homeward from Gibraltar Pt. 2/4
Chapter 16 - Homeward from Gibraltar Pt. 3/4
Chapter 17 - Homeward from Gibraltar Pt. 4/4
Chapter 18 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 1/6
Chapter 19 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 2/6
Chapter 20 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 3/6
Chapter 21 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 4/6
Chapter 22 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 5/6
Chapter 24 - A Matter of Yesterday Pt. 1/3
Chapter 25 - A Matter of Yesterday Pt. 2/3
Chapter 26 - A Matter of Yesterday Pt. 3/3
Chapter 27 - Land of the Midnight Sun Pt. 1/3
Chapter 28 - Land of the Midnight Sun Pt. 2/3
Chapter 29 - Land of the Midnight Sun Pt. 3/3

Chapter 23 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 6/6

708 20 5
By Pongppx

     Yorktown was staring at Y/n, waiting for his respond. Y/n took off his peaked cap and gave Yorktown a smile.

Y/n: "Maybe..."

Yorktown: "..."

     Just as Y/n was about to speak up, there was suddenly a quake throughout the whole ship. Two torpedos struck Yorktown's port side, within minutes of each other. Yorktown rushed to Buckmaster's side to assist him with the incoming reports while Y/n went to the lookout.

     Yorktown lost power and went dead in the water with an increasing list to port. Soon, reports came in from the damage control officer, Commander Clarence E. Aldrich at central station that without power, controlling the flood would be impossible.

     But that wasn't all of it. The Chief Engineer, Lieutenant Commander John F. Delaney, reported that all boiler fires were out, all power was lost, and that it was impossible to correct the list. Buckmaster quickly ordered Aldrich, Delaney and their men to secure the fire and the engine rooms and to put on life jackets.

     Y/n noticed that the list is getting worse as it was now way over 20 degrees. Buckmaster and Aldrich agreed that the Yorktown will be sure to capsize and the abandon ship order was given, by then the list to port was already at 26 degrees.

     The men on the bridge quickly put on their life jackets and directed the evacuation. The evacuation was in good order, the wounded were lowered into the life rafts first then struck out for nearby vessels to pick them up.

     Y/n was about to leave the bridge when he noticed that Yorktown was on the lookout, he immediately knew what she was thinking about.

Y/n: "You don't have to go down with the ship."

Yorktown: "...Who are you to tell me that?"

     Y/n looked at Yorktown who still have tears in her eyes, he knew she could still be upset about abandoning her ship. He made up his mind and approached her with a smile.

Y/n: "I'm the one who will take care of you."

Yorktown: "...Is that so?"

     Yorktown walked over to Y/n with her face down and suddenly, she hugged him and cried out. She rested her head in Y/n's chest as Y/n softly patted her head.

     Y/n looked back and noticed that Captain Buckmaster was about to walk onto the bridge to look for any personnel still onboard. He carried Yorktown in his arms and walked down the stairs towards the flight deck.

Buckmaster: "Are there anyone left on the bridge?"

Y/n: "No, sir. I haven't seen any."

Buckmaster: "You better hurry up then."

Y/n: "Aye, sir."

     By then, the water was already lapping on the port side of the flight deck. Y/n held Yorktown with a hand and grabbed a line over the stern with another. He slowly abseiled himself down to the water using the Dülfersitz technique.

     Y/n placed Yorktown down on the lifeboat before he detached the line from himself and sat down. He pulled out his peaked cap and put on it.

     The officers and the seamen on the lifeboat were looking at Y/n as if they haven't seen anything like that before. Y/n wrapped his left arm around Yorktown's shoulder and pulled her in, allowing Yorktown to rest on his shoulder.

15 minutes later...

USS Astoria, Task Force 17, Not far from the Yorktown.

     After Y/n's lifeboat was picked up by one of the destroyers, he was transferred to Astoria. Alan greeted Y/n and Yorktown as they came aboard. 

Alan: "What's up? Why are both of you that tired?"

Y/n: "That's none of your business, Alan."

Alan: "Alright alright, here's the thing you told me to keep."

     Alan picked up a suitcase and handed it to Y/n. Y/n was quite happy to see that this suitcase was still fine.

Alan: "I won't ask you what's inside the bag."

Y/n: "Because that's also not your problem, Alan."

Alan: "Heh, alright then. Also, Fletcher's waiting for you on the bridge."

Y/n: "Fair enough. Lead the way then."

     Alan led Y/n and Yorktown onto Astoria's bridge while Buckmaster was talking to Fletcher about Task Force 17's current situation.

Fletcher: "Oh, is that our British guy over there? Welcome aboard Astoria, Lieutenant Commander."

Y/n: "It's my pleasure, sir. How's the situation sir?"

Fletcher: "Spraunce has already sent out his dive bombers against the Hiryū, we believe they will be able to put that last Japanese carrier out of operation."

Y/n: "At least that's one good news, sir."

Fletcher: "What happened to Yorktown over there? She seems to be tired."

Yorktown: "...I am fine, sir."

Fletcher: "Maybe you might want to take a rest. Astoria, do you mind bringing Yorktown to an empty room?"

???: "Aye, sir!"

     A shipgirl came into the bridge from the lookout. Y/n turned to look at her, she was of course the shipgirl version of the USS Astoria.

Y/n: "With all due respect, sir. Do you mind if I go with Yorktown instead?"

Fletcher: "Alright then. I don't wanna hear any unpleasant noise from there though."

Y/n: "Thank you, sir."

     Fletcher teased it jokingly but now, everyone on the bridge were looking at them, rather suspicious of their relationships.

Alan: "Damn...you got another one of my girls..."

Y/n: "Whatever."

     Y/n carried Yorktown again and walked down the bridge. He was led into an empty room by one of the officers. As soon as he closed the door, he placed Yorktown on the bed.

Y/n: "Would you like a drink?"

Yorktown: "No thank you..."

Y/n: "Please do not mind me then."

     Y/n placed his luggage on the floor and opened it. Inside the bag was his new sniper rifle, the No. 4 Mk. I (T) and a new pistol, the Welrod.

     Y/n was satisfied that Alan didn't touch his new weapons beforehand and closed the bag, meanwhile Yorktown was watching him.

Yorktown: "I have a question, Y/n..."

Y/n: "Yes?"

Yorktown: "Just...who are you?"

Y/n: "I could be a gentleman, an intelligence officer or even an assassin. What do you think, my lady?"

Yorktown: "Maybe a gentleman?"

Y/n: "Only maybe? That hurts."

17:10

     Yorktown was enjoying her sleep while Y/n was reading a book. Although in reality he wasn't, he was simply watching over Yorktown and taking care of her.

     Y/n looked at Yorktown's sleeping face and blushed. Y/n moved his face closer to Yorktown's face and wiped her hair off her face. Before he could do anything further than that, an announcement from 1MC interrupted him.

1MC: "Lieutenant Commander Y/n L/n, please report to the bridge immediately."

     Y/n stood up and walked out of the room. He walked onto the deck and then onto the bridge, reports were coming in about the fate of Hiryū but there were no celebrations at all.

Fletcher: "Lieutenant Commander, there is good news and bad news."

Y/n: "Start with the bad news, sir."

Fletcher: "A Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina from Midway spotted several Siren warships to the south of TF 16."

     Unlike everyone else, Y/n wasn't surprised. It all made sense to him now, 28°12′N 177°21′W, 4th of June 1942, that Siren gave him a hint at where they would appear but why? Y/n has yet to figure that out.

Y/n: "Our cause of action, sir?"

Fletcher: "We will withdraw further east once we've recovered our aircraft and rendezvous with Saratoga and her TF 11. You will be sent to Midway on a Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina sent by Midway in roughly ten minutes."

Y/n: "And the good news are that Hiryū is now out of operation? Am I right sir?"

Fletcher: "Of course."

Y/n: "Permission to go wake Yorktown up, sir."

Fletcher: "Permission granted. Don't be late though, Enterprise and Hornet are already at Midway."

Y/n: "Aye, sir."

     Y/n saluted Fletcher once before he walked down into the ship. He opened the room but Yorktown was nowhere to be found.

Y/n: "My lady?"

Yorktown: "Y/n...?"

     Y/n looked at Yorktown who was playing with her eagle. She was softly patting her eagle's head and the eagle seemed to enjoy it.

Y/n: "We're going to Midway in 10 minutes. The Sirens have been spotted to the south of TF 16 and to the east of Midway."

Yorktown: "The Sirens?!"

Y/n: "If we're lucky, they might not engage but if it's the opposite then we'll throw whatever Bureau 10 has on Midway at them."

Yorktown: "How about the last Japanese aircraft carrier?"

Y/n: "She's now out of operation."

Yorktown: "I see..."

     Y/n picked up his luggage on the ground and placed it on the bed, checking its inside one last time before he picked it up again. Yorktown stood up with the eagle still on her left shoulder.

Yorktown: "Also, I don't think Commander Alan told you this but Bureau 10 main facility is based at Midway."

Y/n: "Is that so? Then this is going to be fun-"

     "Fun", it all makes sense for him now. Since the Sirens possesses supernatural abilities such as fate manipulation, they have already win against humanity without even having to fight. All they wanted was fun, that's why they appeared on Earth in the first place.

Yorktown: "Y/n?"

Y/n: "Don't mind me. We should get going."

Yorktown: "Okay..."

An hour later...

Sand Island, Naval Air Station Midway Islands, Midway Atoll.

18:15

     By the time the Catalina carrying Alan, Y/n and Yorktown landed on Sand Island, the sun has already set. They were greeted by Enterprise, Hornet and Dr. Hooper.

Hornet: "You're all late! But...that's good. I can't even imagine engaging in a night battle with the Sirens!"

Alan: "Enterprise, what's the situation?"

Enterprise: "No movement from the Sirens so far, Commander. But even if that's the case, we're still outnumbered."

Alan: "By how many?"

Enterprise: "It's likely that it's 10:1, Commander. We only have 26 shipgirls including all three of us here at our disposal against more than at least two hundred Siren warships."

Alan: "Damn it."

     The situation was hopeless or so they thought. Y/n seems to come up with a plan to at least delay the Sirens as long as possible though.

Y/n: "Are torpedos effective against the Sirens?"

Hooper: "As far as we've used them in combat, yes. But it must only be launched from a shipgirl though."

Y/n: "Alan, I suggest deploying your destroyers to harass the Sirens for the time being, as we're still uncertain of the Siren's fleet true strength."

Hornet: "Are you mad?! Why are we even going to engage them at night?"

Alan: "Let him finish, Hornet."

     Even though Hornet and the rest doesn't seem to understand what's going on, Alan wanted to hear Y/n's strategy.

Y/n: "Who usually leads a Siren's fleet?"

Hooper: "According to the last engagement in the Aleutians, they are usually led by a somewhat battleship-like Siren."

Y/n: "How many planes can all three of you launch?"

Enterprise: "234 aircraft, why?"

Y/n: "Perfect. Are they somewhat automated or something like that?"

Yorktown: "Yes."

Y/n: "Doctor Hooper, do you seem to have a Wildcat or any other plane available?"

Hooper: "Ah, about that. I have a new creation to introduce but first, help me open this hangar."

     Hooper walked over to a hangar, Y/n followed him. As soon as the hangar opens, Hooper switched on the lights and revealed a F4F-4 Wildcat but this one was different.

Hooper: "I introduce you to my creation, a special F4F-4 Wildcat."

Y/n: "I thought conventional weapons don't work on the Sirens, Doctor."

Hooper: "This one isn't conventional, that's why! After months of research, I ended up with this one. This one incorporates the technology of the Sirens-"

     Y/n cleared his throat while Hooper was speaking, cutting him off from further explaining the logic behind it. Afterall, time would certainly be wasted if Hooper explained how the thing works and time is currently what they need the most.

Y/n: "Alright alright, leave it like that. What's the difference of this one from the other F4F-4 Wildcats?"

Hooper: "It's basically like a normal F4F-4 Wildcat, the only real difference being that it can damage or even sink the Siren's ships with proper weapons but it has yet to be tested in the field, so try not to get shot down by the Sirens!"

Y/n: "Fair enough..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operation MI ends here within this chapter and here comes a new Arc. The Sirens have finally made an appearance...in the Pacific! Let's see how will you deal with them.

This chapter is uploaded early to compensate for the one-day delay not so long ago, I assume. I hope you enjoy this as always!

As always if you have any suggestions or ideas on how to improve the story. Don't be afraid to write it down in the comment section down below, I will be sure to read it!

See you in the next chapters!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25K 494 18
A former Commander who has a complicated past with Azur Lane that is full of nothing but pain and suffering is chosen to be their Commander again or...
1.1K 25 8
This story was inspired by Azur Lane: A Royal Navy Carrier from IZUMO2 It is a wonderful time around the Azur Lane Base, until an unknown attack spr...
49.9K 423 6
You are the newest Commander at the Royal Navy. However their are not that many men commanders, and the last commander at the Royal Navy was a man wh...
15.2K 894 62
The second book of Azur Lane: Kaiserin has arrived and with it comes action, adventure, deception and romance!! Will our beloved Kaiserin find true h...