Chapter One

Allison's P.O.V.

It was the day after dad's funeral, and everyone was feeling different emotions. Some of us were confused, upset, angry, but the one person in the house who I was worried about the most was Anna. Anna was also known as Number Eight, and over the years, she had struggled with depression. Occasionally, she would have bad episodes where she would get angry and cry herself to sleep at night.

She kept telling us that she was fine after she went on medication, but it was still obvious that she wasn't. Ever since Five left when we were kids, Anna took it pretty hard. And that caused her depression to become worse. Along with the abuse that our father put her through. It was getting close to lunchtime, and I walked up the stairs towards Anna's room, but she wasn't there. "Anna?" I asked, walking down the hall, and then I saw she was in Five's room, sitting on his bed.

I opened the door slightly, and I poked my head inside the room. She was sitting on the edge, staring out the window. When I got closer to her, I could see that she had tears in her eyes. "What's wrong?" I asked, taking a seat next to her. She kept staring out the window and occasionally wiped her tears away. "It's nothing," She answered. I tried to wrap an arm around her, but she moved away from me.

"Have you been taking your meds?" I asked. "Yes," she answered. My eyes glanced over at the small bedside table where three bottles of medication were resting on top. Without a second thought, I took one from the table and stared down at the label. It felt slightly heavier than the other bottles, and I knew that Anna was lying. "Anna, this was filled a month ago, and you haven't even touched it!" I calmly said to her.

She snatched the bottle from me and placed it back on the bedside table. "Quit snooping through my stuff!" She shouted. I was trying to have a calm conversation with her. But now, she was making it hard to talk to her. "Look, I'm not going to fight with you, Anna. I care about you. I know things have been rough with Ben and Dad's death, and Five's disappear-" "Don't bring Five into this! He was the only close friend I had here! The only one who understood the pain I was going through, and now he's gone!" She said, on the verge of tears.

I looked up at her, and she was now sitting on the floor, her head buried in her knees. I got off the bed and bent down next to her. "Look, it's gonna be okay," I whispered, reaching a hand out to her, hoping that she would take it. "Don't touch me," She muffled into her knees. "If you want me to leave you alone, then I will. But, promise me that you'll take your meds," I sighed. "She looked up at me for a moment but then buried her face once again. I took the pill bottle and opened it taking one out of the bottle as prescribed, and handed it to her.

"You can't make me take that. You know I hate taking the meds," She has left me no choice. The last time I had used my powers, it did not end well. But this was different. This was my sister. "Anna," I called out. She looked up at me and wiped her eyes. "I heard a rumor that you took your meds," I said as a small echoing vortex flew towards her hypnotizing her into taking the pill in my hand. 

She took the pill and swallowed it. She looked back over at me with the same look of sadness that she had before. "Can I get you anything to eat?" I asked. "Just a marshmallow and peanut butter sandwich," She answered. I walked towards the kitchen and made her sandwich. She and Five had lots of similarities, and they were inseparable when we weren't on missions. Just thinking about them made me think about when Luther and I were sneaking around behind our father's back. But after Five disappeared, she completely shut down and spent most of her days in her room, clutching onto a photo of her and Five.

The others never understood what was going on with her. Hell, I didn't know what she was going through. But over time, it became apparent that she was depressed. When I finished making the sandwich, I brought it to Anna along with a small glass of milk. "Thanks," she said, taking the sandwich from me. I asked her if she needed anything else, and she said no.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" I asked. She nodded her head as she chewed on her sandwich. I believed her and walked out of the room, hoping to talk to Luther before I had to go back home the next day.