Chapter Eleven

Five's P.O.V.

The glass shattered into a thousand pieces against the wall and fell to the ground. "Five, calm down," Allison said, trying to grab my hand. I smacked her hand away and got up from the couch and paced back and forth across the living room as Anna's words kept repeating themselves in my head like some sick mantra.

I don't want you to blame yourself for my death. Because you aren't like most guys. You're different. You can be a smartass at times, but you protect the people you love the most. "No! this is all my fault! I should've done something that night, and maybe she'd still be here!" I shouted. "Five, it's not your fault. This was her decision!" Diego protested. I looked up at him in anger and saw that he didn't have an ounce of sadness or remorse for the shit he did.

"No, you don't get to say anything, Diego! This is your fault. It's all your fault!" I said, pointing towards Luther, Allison, and Klaus. "YOU GUYS KILLED ANNA HARGREEVES!" I shrieked. The room was filled with silence, and everyone looked over at me with wide eyes, like they had never expected me to scream like that. I felt tears escape my eyes, and the lump in my throat became unstuck, and I crumpled up on the floor and started sobbing. "I could've told her I loved her," I muffled into my hands. 

I was all alone when I went to the future. The only thing that gave me a sense of comfort was thinking about Anna and our kiss. I just wanted the reading of the notebook to be over with, so I could go back and convince her not to take her life. When I was kissing her that night, I imagined a future with her as well. But, my future wouldn't be complete without her in it. I felt a pair of strong arms wrap around me, and when I looked up, I saw that Luther, Vanya, Klaus, and everyone else was embracing me in this giant hug.

"It'll be okay. We have to get through the rest of this, and then we can try to get her back," Klaus sighed as he rubbed my shoulder hard. "He's right. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger," Vanya nodded. We sat back on the couch, and I turned to the next page of my story. We still had a long way to go before I would be out of this nightmare.

*******

That night, part of me was saying, "Don't leave," but at the same time, Five. I thought that you would make fun of me, like everyone eventually did. When I went back to my room, I started crying into my pillow and every time I looked at the photo of us. I cried harder and harder and didn't care if the others heard. I just needed to let everything inside come out and soak my pillow with my tears.

The next day, we didn't talk to each other that much. Every time I looked up at you, I saw you were confused and maybe a little sad. And that hit me like a bullet to the heart. I felt guilty and wanted to make things right with you. I wanted to tell you about the demons I was battling, but I was worried that you would think I was exaggerating, or you wouldn't care. So, I didn't even try.

When dinner came, you kept staring at father while he was eating, and the more he continued to ignore you, the angrier you got. I wanted to ask you what was wrong, but I remembered that stupid rule. Eventually, you slammed the knife into the table, and he looked up at you. "Number Five?" he asked. "I have a question," you responded. He went to remind you about not talking during meals. But you didn't listen.

"I want to time travel and take people with me," you stated. Even though I had left you with so many questions that previous night, I was surprised when you said that, and I hoped that Father would agree, but he didn't. "But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spatial jumps just like you said!" you said as you spatial jumped towards him to prove it. But he still didn't buy it and continued to lecture you about the unknowns of time travel.

"I'm not afraid," you sighed. "Fear isn't the issue. The effects it may have on your body, even your mind. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore," you looked over at me and then ran out of the dining room and out the front doors of the academy. I knew this was my chance to go to the future with you, but the moment I sat up from my chair. Diego and Luther immediately grabbed my wrists and pinned me to my chair. 

"LET ME GO!" I shouted, hoping that you would come back and save me. I closed my eyes and with my mind, pulled the chairs out from underneath them and took the opportunity to run out of the academy and find you.

But I never did.