5th Installment Chapter 16-20

Chapter 16

The house was empty, and the rooms were dark. When Eileen entered the lounge, the room was dark and warm. It was cleaned, the administration must have come while they were gone. Looking at the empty room she got a weird feeling as if she was returning to the place after an eternity. The hustle and bustle of the morning before seemed ages ago. She felt a slight nudge, it was Sammy, standing right behind her, wanting to get in. Eileen moved and she ran towards the switches and turned every light in the on.

Eileen moved towards the sofa and plopped down. She grabbed a pillow from behind her, hugging it with one arm her other hand was resting on her eyes, while her head rested on the back of the sofa. She was tired, but all she could think of was the look on Earthee's face. The blank features and the empty look in her eyes, it didn't make sense. She felt the cushion beneath her shift. Sammy had sat down beside her. Eileen got her hand away from her face, she was holding a scissor. She sat up straight, why was Sammy looking at her, why was she holding them like that. Sammy motioned towards her feet. That's when she remembered the monstrosities on her feet. Eileen took the scissors from Sammy, shifted to the floor and started cutting away the tape. There was too much tape, she was surprised that her circulation system was still intact. After the first foot was done, she took to the other one.

"Your feet look horrible," Sammy broke the silence.

"It's weird I didn't feel a thing before now, it's beginning to burn and itch"

"I think we need to clean them up and put some ointment on them."

"I don't think we can get anything at this hour."

"Don't worry I have some, you can go wash it up I will go and get it."

The girls went to the dorm room, Sammy tuned on the lights and went straight to her bed and pulled out her suitcase from underneath it. Eileen went towards the bathroom door and went in to clean her feet in one of the stalls. The water stung at the places where the tape had cut, but she couldn't see any blisters, just some rash. Sammy handed her the tube and some band aids. Eileen sat on her bed and dabbed the ointment on every red spot then Sammy covered it with a band aid. Her feet looked funny again.

"Should we call them?" Sammy asked while looking at her handiwork looking for a place to put more band aid on.

"No, I think we should wait for their reply in the group chat."

"You are right, we can't distract them." Just then both their phones pinged. They quickly reached for them, It was Elinor. She had gotten the message and was still in the cave looking for Earthee. The girls had to split up again to cover more ground. Which meant no sign of Earthee yet.

"Ughhhhh, I don't get it, I don't understand this, It doesn't make sense at all, none of it" Eileen burst out. "What is happening, it wasn't supposed to be this way. We came here to have fun, the only bad thing that I was afraid of was us not getting along in real life but what is this?"

Sammy looked at the floor, she didn't understand any of it as well, so she did not know what to say about that but she knoew one thing that these people, whom she had never met before were the only human beings whom she could be herself with and nothing mattered. It didn't matter that she was afraid of the dark, or that she was a social recluse, they gave her space when she needed to cut things off and be alone in her corner bed with the drapes shut. No questions asked and when she felt recharged, they would welcome her back again. She might be unaware of many things, but she knew in her hear that she had met her clan. These people were her support system, they pulled her out of her little corner and that she cared deeply for each and everyone one them.