Chapter Sixty: Not You, Too

Start from the beginning

Declan nodded. "That seems to be a pretty good reason."

Jordan coughed. "Better than your excuse of-"

"How about I break your arm so you know what it feels like?" Declan threatened, standing from the couch.

Jordan took the challenge and stood up as well. "Bring it on, Donkey Kong."

"Guys, guys," I said, standing between them. "The game is starting." Usually I'd stop their fights too, but there's a game to watch.

In the end, only one team won the game. Let's try to figure out who did.

"In your face!" I exclaimed, laughing at Declan. "We destroyed you guys-"

"It's 99 to 98," Declan muttered.

"What Declan? I couldn't hear you, I was too busy celebrating how my team won by one point. You could've won, but you didn't by one point. Jordan if you please?"

Jordan took a remote and started playing We Are the Champions by Queen. But Declan cut it short when pressing the stereo. I immediately stopped my victory dance when Declan started to walk up to me. A bit scared for my life now, I backed up a bit.

"That was pure luck you guys won because Jason Evans got injured-"

"By being clumsy," I countered.

"I demand a rematch," Declan said.

I blinked. "A rematch?" I repeated. "But the Paladins won't verse your team until another month."

"I don't mean the Mustangs, I mean the Berserkers."

I gasped. "You traitor! Going for another team too!"

Declan rolled his eyes. "There's nothing wrong with going for two teams. Anyway, the next game between them will be tomorrow, y'know."

"I think I know where you're getting at."

Declan grinned. "How about afterschool we head over there for a game?" He paused then added, "Unless you think you'll lose this one."

"You're on, Donkey Kong."

Jordan and I high fived each other for that.

-

I fixed my Paladin's hat on my head as I stared at myself in the hallway mirror. It took a long time for me to wear this hat, mostly because it was Parker who gave it to me. I felt the heaviness of the hat on my head, making me want to take it off and chuck it into my closet. But my love for the Paladins made me wear it anyway. Despite the memory the hat carries, I'll still wear the hat with pride. I walked into the living room to see my dad sulking. I plopped down on the couch next to him.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

"Nothing."

"He's sulking," my mom answered from the next room.

"She has ears like a bat," my dad muttered to me.

I could actually imagine her putting her hands on her hips. "And what does that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing honey," he answered too quickly. "Did you I ever tell you how lovely you look today?"

"Kiss up," she said in sing-song. "And let me tell you, I don't listen superhumanly because I have ears like a bat."

He let out a sigh. "I know sweetie."

"It's because of my hearing aid."

I coughed. "It'd be cooler if she said she was just Batman."