Communication

To communicate with us is to be almost communicating with someone from another country. Except we do things that help us and confuse the hell out of you. Saying hello and greeting people is something that I have difficulty with. So since I talk 99% only with people I know well, I touch them, either poking them or putting my 3 fingers on their collar bone. Sometimes they tell me no. They say that I need to learn to say hello instead of physically greeting.

Sometimes the way that you communicate with us needs to be different. Saying what you would say to a Neurotypical may make us unsure of what you mean. Sarcasm is hard and so are other things that could have double meanings. It is hard to know how to take things. People who know me very well will tell me exactly what they mean and when they talk the smile or don't make a facial expression because I can't read them and feel nervous if I feel like I am supposed to. I am only forced to make eye contact if I am in trouble or they are saying something they believe is too important for me not to. And when they make me look at them, they hold my head. They put their fingers on my chin or hands on my face and hold it there so I can't break away. That is fine by me. Uncomfortable, yes, but I am seventeen and taller than most of the people who force me to do this.

Communication in with us is, again, a matter of patience and changing some of your ways to fit us because we probably won't, can't, or are working on it ourselves.