Inside Our Brains

Part of Autism/Aspergers is a hard time focusing. That is because our mind is like trying to read a book, have music coming through an ear bud, listen to a speaker, and watch Doctor Who all at the same time and pay attention to each thing. While I am talking to you, I smell the coffee beside me, hear the kids screaming, and see the world of colors surrounding me. I am pretty good about trying to filter out the background stuff but still sometimes I lose words in there too. Some people with autism spectrum disorders can't do that as well and find it harder.

We also think very differently. There's a visual mind, a mathematical mind, or a verbal mind of autistics. I am visual and so usually to understand directions or learn better I need to be shown or to draw or doodle the subject. However, my friend who is also on the spectrum can read a set of verbal directions and carry them out perfectly, hindered by images. That is a verbal mind. My English class, therefore, is easier since I can visualize characters and plots, where my math class requires one on one with the teacher so I can see what is wanted from me. My adult friend often tells me to do something, but holding what she wants me to use or do.

Processing is also different. It can be milliseconds before I register that someone is screwing around in the science lab and that is wrong, but a full thirty seconds to register verbal spoken directions. I prefer to write so I can process emotion and rarely talk, where my laptop or notebooks will tell you everything. Sometimes I talk but rarely. Others find it easier to talk and work through it that way. You just have to know the autie or aspie you are dealing with.